Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 19:44   #1081
BHPian

Re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Bought a new Kia Seltos, the dealer have given me 2 stickers, one transperant with vehicle number & first registration date, second orange blank sticker

My query: Should I stick this transperant one on top of the orange sticker & then paste it on the windshield
OR
Stick both seperately one below the other on the windshield

Google search says diesel cars must have orange sticker with the car details, dealer has given 2 stickers, transperant one with car number & orange blank one

Also, somewhere it says, paste on bottom left side of the front windshield

Is that so

The car is Seltos Diesel
GSMINC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 17:08   #1082
BHPian

Tamilnadu transport department has taken a firm stand by issuing the following order discouraging dealers to deliver cars without HSRP number plates. Appreciate the move but they also need to make sure that the number plates are available quickly as well.

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-img20211001wa0009.jpg
Jude300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 11:32   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Bought a new Kia Seltos, the dealer have given me 2 stickers, one transperant with vehicle number & first registration date, second orange blank sticker

My query: Should I stick this transperant one on top of the orange sticker & then paste it on the windshield
OR
Stick both seperately one below the other on the windshield

Google search says diesel cars must have orange sticker with the car details, dealer has given 2 stickers, transperant one with car number & orange blank one

Also, somewhere it says, paste on bottom left side of the front windshield

Is that so

The car is Seltos Diesel
I got new petrol Creta and dealer fixed the RTO sticker on windshield in front of me along with the HSRP plates. This is how it looks and I think the colored one has to go on top of the number sticker (first paste number and then same place stick the colored one). Location is on top left side of windshied. Here is how it looks. Don't mind the colorful dots, something to do with my camera. If any doubt, get it done by your dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-20211024_112751.jpg  

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 24th October 2021 at 11:34.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 18:17   #1084
BHPian

Expert, need your suggestion on how to deal with this particular scenario:

Telangana state is not issuing HSRP for older cars (with AP series registration). I use my car for a lot of intercity trips. Cities like Delhi etc. have made HSRP mandatory and it appears the rule is being followed as well. If the cops pull me over in Delhi for non compliance what are my options?
BrakeFree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 15:26   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeFree View Post

Telangana state is not issuing HSRP for older cars (with AP series registration). I use my car for a lot of intercity trips. Cities like Delhi etc. have made HSRP mandatory and it appears the rule is being followed as well. If the cops pull me over in Delhi for non compliance what are my options?
This (High security registration plates (HSRP) in India) was my experience in March 2021, which I posted earlier in this thread. Be prepared to waste time, argue, receive and rebut threats of impounding/cases, and always, ALWAYS, show documents only on Digilocker (or equivalent). Also, the toll booth trail on your FasTag helps to prove your case that you're actually from outside the NCR and just arrived a few days ago. But the chief law always applies, the Indian bureaucracy is immortal and superior to whatever God you believe in. Also, keep a few hundreds in your wallet and your main cash somewhere else so that you can get away with minimal greasing of palms.
dhruvtanwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 09:44   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeFree View Post

We lost the HSRP on our Nios while driving through couple of water loggings on the highway. Tried to get a replacement from RTO but it seems the process is complicated. I bought a replacement from Amazon and it's of good quality. The only difference is the absence of laser etching below the IND mark which is not noticeable.
aa1997 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 14:40   #1087
BHPian

I have a curious case of non issuance of HSRP plates at Hyderabad.

Background: Nearly 3 weeks back happen to purchase a vehicle out TS state. TR was paid in the respective state and the vehicle was brought to Hyderabad. Subsequently Permanent registration was done and life tax paid at Khairtabad RTA. Even received a TS number for the car. Whole process was done by myself without any help of touts at RTA.

Now fast forward 2 weeks. I was waiting for intimation on when can I get my HSRP plates. I went to RTA office at Khairtabad and made a enquiry on the same. Officer at the desk say they don't issue HSRP to vehicles bought outside the state. Stumped.

It's completely illogical and beyond my understanding that one ends up paying life tax to state government and even get state allotted number, but RTA isn't ready to issue HSRP.

Has anyone faced this issue?

I do understand my last option is to get a Non HSRP number plate but given Hyderabad traffic cops reputation, one never know when they wake up from their slumber and start issuing heavy fines. There is not enough clarity on the issue.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 22nd November 2021 at 14:45.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 13:03   #1088
BHPian

Update for my earlier post for getting an HSRP at Navi Mumbai: I contacted Wasan Toyota, Turbhe for getting the HSRP plates for my 2016 Etios Liva. They did the needful though their RTO agency (cost of 1,500 for the plates +1,000 for the service of me not needing to interact with the RTO at all). Got the plates in one day flat; the red sticker that came with it (for diesel cars) did not have the number on it. Apparently, the one with the number comes only for new cars.
Finally, the car is now street-legal again for the next five years even in the NCR.
dhruvtanwar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 13:30   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvtanwar View Post
[b]Update for my earlier post for getting an HSRP at Navi Mumbai:m.
I have a 2015 petrol Honda car, I tried to get the HSRP done but no one is helping me. Can you share how to go about this ? So far no one has stopped me anywhere. So I’m using the car normally, infact I have a classic 1986 Padmini also which no one has stopped me but I did enquire how to change to HSRP but again no help.
Old 23rd November 2021, 14:43   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Update for my earlier post for getting an HSRP at Navi Mumbai: I contacted Wasan Toyota, Turbhe for getting the HSRP plates for my 2016 Etios Liva. They did the needful though their RTO agency (cost of 1,500 for the plates +1,000 for the service of me not needing to interact with the RTO at all)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I have a 2015 petrol Honda car, I tried to get the HSRP done but no one is helping me. Can you share how to go about this ? So far no one has stopped me anywhere.
HSRP has not been been made mandatory in Maharashtra yet for vehicles sold prior to 2019, since the government has not been able to finalise the bidder for providing these plates. Many bidding rounds have been held over the past 2 years, but no result as yet. Hence, there is no mechanism in place yet for older vehicles being fitted with HSRPs.

@dhruvtanwar: I am surprised the dealer could manage HSRP for a 2016 vehicle. The number plate has a hologram and a serial number embossed on it? I doubt the legality of this, considering this hasn't been implemented in Maharashtra yet. Also, a charge of 2,500/- is atrocious.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 15:01   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
HSRP has not been been made mandatory in Maharashtra yet for vehicles sold prior to 2019, since the government has not been able to finalise the bidder for providing these plates. Many bidding rounds have been held over the past 2 years, but no result as yet. Hence, there is no mechanism in place yet for older vehicles being fitted with HSRPs.

@dhruvtanwar: I am surprised the dealer could manage HSRP for a 2016 vehicle. The number plate has a hologram and a serial number embossed on it? I doubt the legality of this, considering this hasn't been implemented in Maharashtra yet. Also, a charge of 2,500/- is atrocious.
Plates are HSRP from the RTO, with the hologram and serial number embossed on it. Charge if 1500 for the plates is what I believe to be the RTO charges, remainder 1k is what I chose to pay since I didn't have the time to actually go to the RTO myself and do this.
I tried to do this process for my Royal Enfield TBTS350 (2017), but the RE Company showroom flatly refused any assistance, and asked me to approach the RTO personally. While I'm sketchy on the details, the gist of the story I was given is that a certain number of HSRP slots are allotted to the dealer and giving an old bike an HSRP would cut into their allocated number for new bikes (I have a strong feeling this was hogwash, but then again, paucity of time demanded that I don't follow the argument further). A few months down the line I'll apply for an HSRP for the bike personally, and update this thread again with the process and outcomes.

If your travels are mostly within our (MH) state, you don't need an HSRP. Its advisable only if you're travelling to other states to avoid harassment by local law enforcement.
Old 23rd November 2021, 15:11   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2015 petrol Honda car, I tried to get the HSRP done but no one is helping me. Can you share how to go about this ? So far no one has stopped me anywhere. So I’m using the car normally, infact I have a classic 1986 Padmini also which no one has stopped me but I did enquire how to change to HSRP but again no help.
No one would stop you within Maharashtra state; problem begins when you cross state lines, specially Northwards all the way upto the NCR, where it's most chronic since HSRPs for "all" vehicles are mandatory.
I would recommend either taking to your Honda dealership to do this for you, as I did with my Toyota Dealership. Alternatively, you could talk to your RTO directly; I think a few forms and some fee will ensure the plates get delivered to you in a day or so. Fixing them is no problem, you can simply remove the old ones and screw in the new ones, the rivets are optional from what I hear.
dhruvtanwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 15:31   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
, there is no mechanism in place yet for older vehicles being fitted with HSRPs.
Quote:
I would recommend either taking to your Honda dealership to do this for you.
1. My Honda dealer has shut down, I asked my service / new dealer to help me but they said there is no clarity on the procedure for old cars to HSRP. Infact I followed it up for a few months and after that I have given up.

2. Honda goes to GJ and GA but no one has stopped me except just to check up, also seeing the other sticker on my car windshield they think twice about arguing with me and I also don’t argue with them without reason. Infact recently I was stopped as it was MH in GJ and I enquired the reason for the stop, when they saw the sticker they let me go as they had no reason except taking some chai pani which they were from one another car. It’s strange that even in 2021 2022 we have such petty minded behaviour in our country.

3. Recently did passing and green tax for Padmini and enquired for HSRP at RTO they had no information or clarity, rather they told me to drive without tension.
Old 23rd November 2021, 15:36   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Honda goes to GJ and GA but no one has stopped me except just to check up, also seeing the other sticker on my car windshield they think twice about arguing with me and I also don’t argue with them without reason.
What other sticker on the windshield are you talking about?

Also, my cars are MH and GA registered and haven't been stopped except for basic checks by cops in other states. Have driven to DN, RJ, MP, KA, TN, AP, KL; never faced any harassment, touchwood.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 17:37   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
What other sticker on the windshield are you talking about?

Also, my cars are MH and GA registered and haven't been stopped except for basic checks by cops in other states. Have driven to DN, RJ, MP, KA, TN, AP, KL; never faced any harassment, touchwood.
Blue stands for petrol and CNG, orange for diesel, and green for electric; comes with the plates.
Am glad you've had better experiences than I on your inter-state runs; that chai-pani is a nationwide pain, remains that even if you are in 100% compliance with all automotive laws.
dhruvtanwar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks