Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:55   #1126
Senior - BHPian

Re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Old type - hand painted numbers. Prev owner had used one of those informal curvy type numbers (not the completely cursive type lettering).
I guess that might be the reason. Just make sure the numbers are standard format and size. I never faced issue with my 2015 car which has simple no-fancy fonts and plates.

If needed, you can go for replica of HSRP (just white, without any blue IND marking) from a nearby shop. I used them on my new car for inter state travel (KA-TN) without any issue (as RTO took a few days to deliver original plates and I didn't want to drive a car with paper sticker).

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 23rd February 2022 at 12:58.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 13:05   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There must a lakhs of vehicles on Bangalore roads that are running with painted/stickered plates with clear fonts.
I agree, my current plates are with sticker fonts as per guidelines. It works here without problem as RTO and Traffic Police clarified HSRP is not yet mandatory for older vehicles.

However, I am planning for a long road trip to Assam passing via multiple states, which is the reason for looking for options.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 13:08   #1128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
.. Traffic Police clarified HSRP is not yet mandatory for older vehicles.

However, I am planning for a long road trip to Assam passing via multiple states, which is the reason for looking for options.
Correct - and we cant get official HSRP plates for older vehicles yet.

Btw, one tip - when you go for the plates, you can ask for plain black coloring instead of the blue shade stuff they put by default. It's just a foil that they use to heat on to the embossed letters.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 13:11   #1129
BHPian

I bought my bike in May-2019 which came fitted with HSRP plates. But just after two months a taxi hit my bike from rear and one of the self locking nut broke. The number plate was hanging on only one nut bolt. Made some jugaad and fixed it temporarily thinking will fix it permanently on Sunday. However next day on my way to office, the number plate fell down. As it was raining and was in the middle of the traffic didn’t recognise it and only came to know after reaching to the office. Followed with dealer for multiple times for new HSRP plate but dealer could not arrange. Bought new normal number plate from local shop and still using it without any problem here in Mumbai. Also I have seen number of new registered two wheelers without HSRP on Mumbai roads.
Old 20th March 2022, 16:03   #1130
BHPian

Hey Guys, so i have recently moved from Mumbai to Gurgaon and have got along my Maharashtra registered car (2015 polo).

I am aware that Haryana and Delhi have mandated HSRP plates but Maharashtra RTO is still not providing it for older vehicles.

So today i got stopped by a traffic cop who was adamant on imposing a fine of Rs 500 for no HSRP. After half an hour of trying to make him understand that Maharashtra is not yet providing the number plates as it doesnt not have any vendors finalised, he was adamant that it’s available and can be done in Haryana itself. At the end of it, i gave up and told him to impose a fine and write down his and his colleagues names as i shall be taking this matter with his seniors and i am wrongly being challaned. Post this, to my surprise, he refused to take the fine and said that he’s taken pictures of my number plate and shall be sending me a notice and challan by post to my vehicle registration address which is Maharashtra.

Now I’d like to know that are HSRPs available for older vehicles in Maharashtra? How can i get them made? (As much as ive tried at the Mumbai RTO, they arent available)

And if not, what can i do from Haryana cops from harassing me as it’s not everyday that i have half an hour to argue and i would end up coughing the fine.

Thanks.
seedyk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 16:13   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
Hey Guys, so i have recently moved from Mumbai to Gurgaon and have got along my Maharashtra registered car (2015 polo).

Thanks.

In Maharashtra HSRP number plates were available only to vehicles from 2019 onwards.

They are not mandatory for the cars registered before 2019.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 17:07   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvtanwar View Post
Your assessment is bang on logically, but my attempt at explaining it to a Gurgaon Police Constable who had his greasy palms itching on defying that very logic was what prompted my question in the first place. My argument with him ended with him saying that he'll fine me and file a case, which I told him to go ahead and do. That was the end of it, thankfully. But the interaction itself just ruins your day, if not just the mood of the hour.

Makes me wonder, if new cars can be fitted with the HSRP, why can't an old car owner in Maharashtra pay the fee to the RTO and get one for his?
Faced the exact same thing today and it surely baffles you on how these guys know what is right but would still push you to a point to harass and cough up the money out of frustration.

Also, can you please explain on how did you manage to procure the plates for your 2016. Mine’s a 2015 polo and registered with MH01 rto. Would like to get the plates for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
In Maharashtra HSRP number plates were available only to vehicles from 2019 onwards.

They are not mandatory for the cars registered before 2019.
Thank you.

Tried arguing this with the cop in an extremely amicable manner. Also showed him news articles on failed bids to invite vendors for HSRPs in Maharashtra as of March 2021. To my surprise, his response was if I am drunk early in the morning and do not understand that it’s a rule here and i need to get it. Post this I lost my patience and asked him to cut me a challan and write his own and his colleague’s names and the detailed reason for citing a challan as I shall be taking this issue up with the RTO Commissioner’s office. After this argument, he refused to provide a challan and said that he’ll post it to my registered address. Left from there without paying a dime.

That apart, just spoke to a number plate vendor on Golf course road, Gurgaon, and he quoted Rs 3,500 for HSRP along with colour codes stickers for my MH01 registered car and Rs 2,000 for MH15 registered bike. Didnt the registering RTO have the authority to provide such plates? How is he managing to get me these plates in Gurgaon. He was pretty adamant that these are laser etched and shall be issues by an RTO here.

Last edited by seedyk : 20th March 2022 at 17:33. Reason: Additional info
seedyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 18:18   #1133
BHPian

Quote:

That apart, just spoke to a number plate vendor on Golf course road, Gurgaon, and he quoted Rs 3,500 for HSRP along with colour codes stickers for my MH01 registered car and Rs 2,000 for MH15 registered bike. Didnt the registering RTO have the authority to provide such plates? How is he managing to get me these plates in Gurgaon. He was pretty adamant that these are laser etched and shall be issues by an RTO here.
That is daylight robbery. It's more than 4 times the price what they charge for HSRP normally. There is not much here, these plates have security number which is listed on plates as well as sticker. Nothing more. You can get them from any listed vendor provided you show them your RC.

I'd say talk to any car agency, preferably from where you get your car serviced. They can help you here or order the plates from where you got your car. They'll surely help you and you can get them dispatched to your address here in Gurgaon. It takes hardly Rs 50 to get them affixed.

When you are done with all this, do write a mail to Gurgaon RTO and traffic police informing how much they are charging above the listed price.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 18:50   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
That is daylight robbery. It's more than 4 times the price what they charge for HSRP normally. There is not much here, these plates have security number which is listed on plates as well as sticker. Nothing more. You can get them from any listed vendor provided you show them your RC.

I'd say talk to any car agency, preferably from where you get your car serviced. They can help you here or order the plates from where you got your car. They'll surely help you and you can get them dispatched to your address here in Gurgaon. It takes hardly Rs 50 to get them affixed.

When you are done with all this, do write a mail to Gurgaon RTO and traffic police informing how much they are charging above the listed price.
Gurgaon RTOs charge Rs 400 odd for the same via the Bookmyhsrp.com portal (portal sadly only allows HR registered cars) So the rates quoted are daytime robbery without a doubt.

However my critical concern was that can Gurgaon RTOs provide HSRP plates on Maharashtra RTO’s behalf. I thought they had to be provided by the respective RTO where the car is registered.

Also, ive written emails to Mumbai RTO on how to proceed as my car is 2015 registered and at the same time to Gurgaon police citing the constant harassment by cops with no solution being provided. Hoping some form of reply.

Last edited by seedyk : 20th March 2022 at 18:53.
Old 20th March 2022, 18:56   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Also, can you please explain on how did you manage to procure the plates for your 2016. Mine’s a 2015 polo and registered with MH01 rto. Would like to get the plates for peace of mind.
I went to Wasan Toyota, Turbhe, from where I bought the car, their RTO agent was able to do the job for me for INR2,500 (INR 1,500 being the cost + the remaining being the "fee" for my laziness of going to the RTO myself)
Ironically, I tried the same with the Royal Enfield Company Showroon at Nerul from where I got my TBTS350 in 2017, they flatly refused to help and said I have to go to the RTO directly.

You can provide a copy of your RC Book, Insurance and PUC, and of course the money directly at the RTO, they'll deliver the plates along with the sticker to you in about two days (I got mine in two days). Perhaps on your next trip home you'll have to budget some time. It'll be way less painful than your ordeal in Gurgaon (anywhere in NCR actually, you run the risk).
dhruvtanwar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 19:05   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvtanwar View Post
I went to Wasan Toyota, Turbhe, from where I bought the car, their RTO agent was able to do the job for me for INR2,500 (INR 1,500 being the cost + the remaining being the "fee" for my laziness of going to the RTO myself)
Ironically, I tried the same with the Royal Enfield Company Showroon at Nerul from where I got my TBTS350 in 2017, they flatly refused to help and said I have to go to the RTO directly.

You can provide a copy of your RC Book, Insurance and PUC, and of course the money directly at the RTO, they'll deliver the plates along with the sticker to you in about two days (I got mine in two days). Perhaps on your next trip home you'll have to budget some time. It'll be way less painful than your ordeal in Gurgaon (anywhere in NCR actually, you run the risk).
Thank you.

To be honest, the process at the Mumbai Central RTO has improved quite a bit after introduction of the Vahan portal.

In the past couple of months, I’ve transferred two vehicle ownerships and have gotten a duplicate driving license on my own without much hassle as all the documents and fees had to be submitted online with only the hard copies being submitted at the RTO. Took me less than 15 mins each time and the work was done at one fifth the cost of what agents quoted.

I did enquire about HSRP at Mumbai Central RTO before leaving for Gurgaon, however none of them were aware of what’s to be done.

Will check with my local Volkswagen service centre in Mumbai and get them shipped here.
Old 20th March 2022, 19:08   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
However my critical concern was that can Gurgaon RTOs provide HSRP plates on Maharashtra RTO’s behalf. I thought they had to be provided by the respective RTO where the car is registered.
That's not an issue provided the vendor you are dealing with is government listed/authorised.

OT, bookhsrponline - saw this while googling for HSRP. I have no clue whether it is genuine or not, but do check out.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 19:18   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
That's not an issue provided the vendor you are dealing with is government listed/authorised.

OT, bookhsrponline - saw this while googling for HSRP. I have no clue whether it is genuine or not, but do check out.
They say they are Govt approved, however they do not appear on the list of approved vendors on the MORTH website (https://morth.nic.in/high-security-r...on-plates-hsrp).

With the hype and fear this HSRP has created, id stay away from such websites as they’d thrive on the anxiety of gullible people.
Old 20th March 2022, 20:04   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
They say they are Govt approved, however they do not appear on the list of approved vendors on the MORTH website (https://morth.nic.in/high-security-r...on-plates-hsrp).

With the hype and fear this HSRP has created, id stay away from such websites as they’d thrive on the anxiety of gullible people.
Aelcon Try calling them once.

Shimnit Try this too. They're from Mumbai and listed on MORTH Website. If their site doesn't work, call them up and tell your issue. Since they are based in Mumbai, they can guide you better.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 20:11   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Aelcon Try calling them once.

Shimnit Try this too. They're from Mumbai and listed on MORTH Website. If their site doesn't work, call them up and tell your issue. Since they are based in Mumbai, they can guide you better.
Thanks a tom. Will try both of these and come back with what they have to say.

Either way ill need to get the HSRP done asap to avoid wasting my time at police barricade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks