Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2021, 10:12   #361
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

I finally got to drive the S-Variant today. My experience:

° The overall appearance has completely changed from the pre-facelift compass, helped largely by the Body Coloured panels around the wheel, New Alloy design, and grey roof. It looks truly premium now.

° Interior quality is top class. It gives a feeling of sophistication and everything I touched was finished really well and smooth.

° Both the infotainment display as well as the cockpit display was clear, fluid, and displays a ton of information

° Sound insulation is fantastic. Even compared to my Jetta, I'm amazed. On idle, a muted engine note is heard. Whilst on the go, it almost disappears until we cross 3500 rpm. All external sounds are neatly kept out. Classy !!!

° Gear shifts are seamless and work smoothly. At 55 km/hr, when I look at the display, I'm in 8th gear. So gear shift happen without a peep, in the background. I drove around 20 km, at various speeds, and not once did I find the gearbox to fumble.

° The engine does rev briskly when we stomp on the pedal, but I like to go about it in a relaxed manner. Overall performance is very satisfactory. I never felt short changed coming from my Jetta. Again it's not explosive, but it gains pace in a quick manner. Autocar's timing of 10 sec does hold true. Many have said the compass feels slow. That maybe due to the insulation, ride stability as well as the gear shifts. Look at the speedo, and your opinion will change.

° Braking, Handling on the curves is as impeccable as the Compass has always been. Only praises here.

° The Ride is soft, settled and absorbent, even though the tire pressure was set at 38 psi. SA told me ideal pressure is 33 psi. I guess it will improve even more at the right setting. The overall ride and handling balance amazes me. I'm saying so, due to the fact that the Jetta handles as good as the Jeep, but the ride is firm and some bumps do filter through. Not the same with the Compass. You can just fly through bad roads AND hold a racing line through a curve.

° Seats are snug, esp loved the lumbar support. Ventilation worked well. It can be heard at medium fan speed, but when set at low, it's silent.

These are my initial impressions. SA has informed me of delivery date around 2nd week of March.

-- Dr Harsha
Harsha89 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 11:20   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumitra_joshi View Post
Leasing costs:
Name:  Screenshot from 20210213 111710.png
Views: 4028
Size:  9.2 KB
Updated to reflect perquisite costs as well. Thanks JishD
Old 13th February 2021, 14:39   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
I finally got to drive the S-Variant today. My experience:

° Sound insulation is fantastic. Even compared to my Jetta, I'm amazed. On idle, a muted engine note is heard. Whilst on the go, it almost disappears until we cross 3500 rpm. All external sounds are neatly kept out. Classy !!!

° Gear shifts are seamless and work smoothly. At 55 km/hr, when I look at the display, I'm in 8th gear. So gear shift happen without a peep, in the background. I drove around 20 km, at various speeds, and not once did I find the gearbox to fumble.

-- Dr Harsha
Nice to know. Is this the diesel or petrol?

Our dilemma is that the diesel automatic is out of budget as it has a crazy 5L otr premium over the diesel manual (due to it being coupled with 4x4 which we have no need for). And if we have to go with a manual, would prefer a petrol rather than the diesel. But the petrol mt is only available in the base version.

So many variants and yet the right engine+gearbox combo eludes
batladanny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 15:09   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batladanny View Post
Nice to know. Is this the diesel or petrol?
I tested the Diesel Automatic. I drove the BS4 Diesel manual at the time of launch, and I found it to be very sprightly with strong acceleration. The BS6 Diesel Automatic has an almost polar character. It does go fast, but smoothly and in a linear manner. No sudden bursts of power.
Old 13th February 2021, 15:13   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
Bit off topic -

Just out of curiosity, why not consider Karoq? It is a SUV as per your preference, great build quality and good performance too. It’s going to be available again very soon.

As far as service of Volkswagon group is concerned, my personal experience has been rather good. I m sure there are few bad ownership experiences but there has been lot of positivity (including this forum) around Volkswagon group lately.
I did check it out as soon as it was launched. Until then, my benchmark was the Tucson. So karoq being petrol and 75% of Tucson and the unavailibility of 4x4 as well as some features seamed really expensive at that point. Though the build quality and the gearbox was too good!

At this point I am glad that I didn't go forward with Karoq. There's a good chance of it not coming back to India since Kushaq is going to be placed somewhere very near to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
As a VW owner, I have a slightly different take. VW service in Mumbai at least through Shaman has been a very pleasant experience overall for me. I've always had the GT well cared for and spares were never a problem. Even their services have been very very good. When I settled on the GT in 2017, I received all sorts of advice on their poor service reputation and issues with DSG etc but 4 years down the line I have had no major issues with them at all *touch wood* . I'm not sure if the same holds true for Skoda but at least for VW I'm firmly in the happy camp.

The primary issue I see with all of us potential Jeep customers in the market for a new vehicle is the pricing and those reinforces the fact that the main issue boils down to the pricing. Like the comparison I put together clearly shows the 2.5lakh difference between the Model S and the Anniversary edition is quite difficult to fathom for what appear to be just 3/4 major incremental features.

I agree that they overshot the sweet spot with the pricing. Even 28lakh on road on the Model Swould have probably made it a no brainer in my opinion but 30 and above was just too much.

A potential buyer who can afford 30/35 lakhs on a car always has the potential to stretch a bit more and step into a segment above.
Exactly my point! The car is lovely but it doesn't belong to the segment it is aiming at. I think with this facelift they are probably trying to assert their position in the market and with the next update (with bigger dimensions and better quality) they can turn the car into a VFM offering. At least that's what i think.
Old 13th February 2021, 17:10   #366
BHPian

So I stopped by the Landmark showroom in Worli and boy oh boy, I was not prepared for the lackluster sales people they had!

Jeep need to do themselves and customers a big favour and get a better dealer pronto. I won't take names but they didn't even have my details in their system even though the Jeep backend passed it on to them last week and I got a call from Landmark on Monday! Yet, they didn't have my details in the system. Not to mention in my opinion the entire staff there were utterly devoid of any passion to sell the vehicle, no enthusiasm and worse, fumbled with the details struggling to explain the differences between the top trims ( even though I already knew them).

The poor sales pitch aside, I had a good chance to look at and get a feel for the vehicle in person. Thankfully for my height the driving position and comfort was great! They had the 4x4 Diesel Auto on display and the 4x2 manual. The Diesel was in the Anniversary trim and it was really striking in Red! This is a product that just sells itself in many ways! It probably is why the sales guys are so laid back!

Also as is reported already here, they were only willing to budge on the insurance - literally, the sales pitch was like since Landmark was an insurance company, they could work out a discount on the insurance!! (For real), I was like the insurance was over priced anyway. They also were not willing to drop the "documentation" charges.

Also a few points:
1. 4x2's / MT are easily deliverable. The 4x4 / Auto are reportedly in waiting periods up to 2 months.
2. The Anniversary Ed are in limited numbers apparently.. continued production is not assured
3. The 4x4 are mostly being produced against orders.
4. Jeep is hinting at price hikes already (no I'm not joking) reason given - steel prices going up. Although I might suspect this has more to do with sales pitch trying to get a customer into a pressure buy. Though I think steel prices are generally beginning to rise so maybe there's a bit of truth to it. Although in my mind it will probably only make it worse of a value proposition.
5. No Model S on display or test drive. Although it is expected later this week.

The only colours on display was Black (Sport) Blue (Limited) and the Red (Anniversary trim). No grey/green on display.

I've asked for a test drive of the model S when they get it.

The big drawbacks for me were:
- boot space just about ok really. Used to the massive one on my ZX so I was a bit shocked at just how little capacity this car offered when I saw it in person.
- no recline on the rear seats although they were comfortable but I felt a tad low in incline

At best, this is a premium 4 seater. 3 in the back is clearly a no no (quite clearly the intent with no middle head rest). The build quality was fantastic from the fit and finish perspective.. now will wait for the test drive.

The only last piece of the puzzle is their service quality? Maybe existing owners can share a few inputs here for potential buyers like us on Jeep's service experience/Landmark's service quality.

If the service and maintenance services are anything like their sales - no matter how appealing the vehicle, I will not buy it

Last edited by Vandit : 13th February 2021 at 17:14.
Vandit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 21:03   #367
BHPian

Just want to add my feedback also as I spent almost 1 hour today in Landmark showroom Delhi.

1. Just like mentioned in few other post, no S model is available for test drive or in display. ALthough, there was 1 S model ready for delivery but locked.

2. In my case, I got salesman over enthusiast but still not well informed. To make case worst, they have there own agenda and theory against each limitation you describe to them about Jeep Compass. Will tell about that later in post.

3. Being owner of S Cross and having Compass in my friend's home for 3 years, I found this model interior leap ahead in terms of quality and finishes. Although, you will start getting lots of dummy buttons and reduction in quality when you start going to lower version of cars.

4. In my view, Compass is trying to hit too many price range from 16-32 lakhs but mostly getting failed. Like in 18-19 lakhs bracket, same priced Jeep will be way lesser equipped than Creata and Seltos top end. Similarly, 32 is too close to endeaver, Superb or even BMW X1 during discount period.

5. Did a small test drive also, found the drive amazing in terms of ride and handling. Even sound insulation will simply amaze you along with engine refinement.

6. But, that auto gear system is going to ruin party. Funny enough, when I said to the salesman that it is too slow and making this engine feel like 30 bhp less, he explained in his own theory that this is done to keep safety in mind and keep drivers away from turbo nature of the engine.

7. Music system even in non-s models is too good. Heard that alphine is even better than superb canton system, if true then that will be amazing.

8. He was also willing to provide me insurance 45k lesser than quoted (1.4 lakhs).

9. Lower models have firestone and higher model have Bridgestone tires as per car parked in the showroom.

10. Jeep missed one good combo of AT+4x2 which could have provided a better price.

11. Still, Jeep Compass S model is 2-3 lakhs premium then it should be. Worse, it will kill the exclusiveness of your S model compass if someone having spent 13 lakhs lesser going to have same car aside you.

12. They still had old compass model on display for some reason. When asked, they said that one is last piece available.

13. Head unit is class above and offer great usability.

14. I was also amazed the way compass tackle bad roads. Suspension system is simply outstanding.

15. Also, one major miss is lack of ambient lighting in such an expensive car. No recline for rear seat, not safety for 5th passenger (lap belt and no head rest), no front sensor, average boot space are other few items I felt missing.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th February 2021 at 00:49. Reason: spacing and typos correction
chaudharysaab is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 10:15   #368
BHPian

Btw, another bit of a downer, the Model S's digital instrument cluster doesn't support in dash navigation like the other cars such as the newer VAG's/BMW's etc. The navigation is only via the main centre touchscreen display unit.

For all the features it supports, I wonder why it never occurred to Jeep to provide for the navigation option in the instrument cluster itself like you can with the other brands.

I think the overdrive or Autocar video review also mentions this.
Vandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 21:07   #369
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone come across a proper review (either by any publication or by a member here) of the petrol automatic? I tried searching and was surprised to realize that almost all the reviews I have seen anywhere are only of the diesel automatic.

I had a TD of the diesel A/T today and it was “nice” but didn’t blow me away in any manner. I then got a very short test drive of the petrol A/T within the large compound of the Worli showroom and honestly it felt MUCH nicer. I would reserve my judgment until I can get a longer test drive of the petrol but definitely the short run I did it felt far more impressive than the diesel.

Given the whopping 4.4 lakh difference between the petrol and the diesel, combined with the massively inflated price tags, I suspect the petrol may actually account for a decent percentage of the 2021 Compass’ overall sales.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 21:25   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, another bit of a downer, the Model S's digital instrument cluster doesn't support in dash navigation like the other cars such as the newer VAG's/BMW's etc. The navigation is only via the main centre touchscreen display unit.
BTW this "feature" is a bit overrated unless it also supports in-dash navigation with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. I do not know about VAG cars, but at least in BMWs, this in-dash navigation is supported only when you use the built-in navigation. It is not supported when you use Google Maps through Android Auto or Carplay.

This makes this feature practically worthless since the built-in navigation itself is almost never used. Most people I know use Google Maps, and I have never seen anyone using the built-in navigation other than for just testing that out on some known runs.

The new Compass has a nice big main screen with full support for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Given that, I would not worry about lack of in-dash navigation. It is unlikely to make any noticeable difference.
Dr.AD is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 21:39   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Has anyone come across a proper review (either by any publication or by a member here) of the petrol automatic?

I had a TD of the diesel A/T today and it was “nice” but didn’t blow me away in any manner. I then got a very short test drive of the petrol A/T within the large compound of the Worli showroom and honestly it felt MUCH nicer.

Given the whopping 4.4 lakh difference between the petrol and the diesel, combined with the massively inflated price tags, I suspect the petrol may actually account for a decent percentage of the 2021 Compass’ overall sales.
Stuck in the same position as you. Trying to figure out which is the more compelling of the 2 to get. But again keep running into the pricing and value part again. To put things in perspective, there are 2/3 year old Fortuner's on the used market that can be had for less than a new 4x4 JC Anniversary edition or even the Model S petrol!!

I'm waiting for them to confirm a test drive for me too later this week where I intend to drive it on a bit longer and open stretch to make sense of what the petrol offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
BTW this "feature" is a bit overrated unless it also supports in-dash navigation with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. I do not know about VAG cars, but at least in BMWs, this in-dash navigation is supported only when you use the built-in navigation. It is not supported when you use Google Maps through Android Auto or Carplay.

This makes this feature practically worthless.
Thanks for this, wasn't aware of it but hoped they could provide for it even through Android Auto or Car play. Otherwise at best it feels like it's just a big oversized multi information display spitting out general car information. Having it in dash I somehow feel it would have been more convenient and a little more safer not having to move your head/attention off dead centre, instead just easily having to look down and straight at the instrument display to know what you need to when following map guidance. Considering that the Kia Seltos has the HUD on offer (although I've never driven one to know if it's that great a must have).
Vandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 22:28   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Stuck in the same position as you. Trying to figure out which is the more compelling of the 2 to get. But again keep running into the pricing and value part again!!

I'm waiting for them to confirm a test drive for me too later this week where I intend to drive it on a bit longer and open stretch to make sense of what the petrol offers.
Just to clarify I was actually doing this for a friend who was getting my opinion. He’s currently booked a S diesel AT but now wants to try the petrol once too before sealing the decision.

Btw which dealer is getting you a proper test drive of the petrol AT. My friend and I both want this too.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 23:42   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Btw which dealer is getting you a proper test drive of the petrol AT. My friend and I both want this too.
Landmark Worli. I'm not so confident though that they'll have it this week.

Like I said, I had a very lukewarm lacklustre experience with them. Have requested for it to be arranged this weekend, let's see if they deliver on it.
Vandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 00:17   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourqeHead View Post
Per me- FIAT is one Car manufacturer with amazing design and engineering teams Only to be let down by a mediocre Management and Marketing team. Not sure if they have an analyst team to study market needs and feed back , in case they have ,those folks should be given a basic 101 training on how not to wreck a brand(Sorry ,FIAT brand is already wrecked, so how not to wreck a brand twice!)
Update : Its been a while since this post and quite frankly nothing changed. My head could convince me about veering away from FCA/Jeep, but the interesting part is that my better half stood her ground.

She had a couple of military precision questions about steering feed back, high speed cornering, body roll at sharp turns and precision breaking abilities of any other alternative to Jeep and it outright pulled me down from my moral high ground built on economics, time value of money concept and basic Logic. Thought process based on economic aspect's tend to forget those basic needs of our driving that's evolved well thru the long Highway drives in Punto.

She wouldn't go anywhere near Tata showroom and I couldn't quite pull my self around to go to Jeep showroom, this impasse went on for a little while and we are still driving around our Fiat Punto Evo 90hp. Early this week after a lot of deliberation, she did agree to accompany me to check out Harrier provided I agree to test drive new Jeep as well as take a look at Model S(Our SA did notify that Model S is available at VTK Chennai and so is Test drive vehicle)

We went to Tata first,probably its just me because I came from Wagon R to Punto and S-Cross(in native at wife's place) ,Harrier seemed 'Huge' to me , space on offer was awesome compared to Jeep Compass. interior cabin fit and finish is pretty good,but there were a few downsides which I couldn't explain away , Again those are mostly personal takes , others might not perceive these as issues.

1) In the seating position that I finally figured to be the best comfortable one,my left knee was scrapping against a dashboard accent that was curving into the gear box panel at the drivers side,that was out right uncomfortable,not sure if anyone else have this issue or its the issue with the seating position i figured out for me.

2)Rear A/C vents on the door panel has very little throw, I thought it was a blower setting issue and had the SA set the AC to maximum throw ,but there was no significant change, SA confirmed that it is how it will be.

3)Hand Brake: I found it bit difficult to operate the aeroplane type hand brake, SA did show me the best way to operate it and did get better after that but the pressure applied seemed to be difficult one for my better half.

4)No dual zone AC and no Disc brake in rear, I am not complaining much about this but could've been provided in a 25L car.

Points (1) and (2) seemed critical aspects and we didn't proceed for second round with Harrier and have placed it on Hold, but Harrier for sure ,did leave a good impression.

Later in the week we went to Jeep showroom and took a test drive in Limited trim (AT). Compass does rev up at initial move from stop,probably will get better after getting used to proper throttle pressure ,there was also a bit of a mild jerk between 2 and 3rd gear shift. Tried to floor it in a section to see if the 'lag' that's been talked about will bother me, didn't find any , it might as well be due to my heavy foot.

Overall drive was composed and Hold facility in start/stop traffic is good. Not writing anything more as I am particularly biased in favor of Jeep Compass since day one, the teeny tiny niggles ,' if any' that were there were not registered as issues to my Heart , frankly I didn't see any.

Checked out Model S(AT), amazing fit and finish, if I was not exposed to a field related to finance or been absolutely unaware about concepts like 'time value of money' or ' Actual vs perceived vs absolute value' i would've just bought it then and there. I am hopelessly back to square one with tussle playing out between head and heart.

For 35L OTR ; I would expect to get Paddle shifters,Instrument cluster navigation(already mentioned by fellow Bhp'ians),Rear seat recline,Passenger seat storage like in international RHD versions,Ambient lighting, Puddle lamps and over all longer warranty period. leaving out larger boot space as this facelift has no scope for that,but the rest mentioned were all pretty much possible.

With all the electronic components loaded in I am bit skeptical about the warranty of 1 L or 3yr (which ever is first) and 50k or 2 yrs (which ever is first) extended warranty. In our Punto, blue and Me failed after 2nd year and it was out of warranty then.

For now Jeep Compass is on a partial Hold status , until Citroen C5 Aircross is out.

C5 Aircross might not have 4*4 , but frankly I don't think I will need 4*4 unless I veer out on a Ghat section or really drive over to Himalayan range(4*4 or not ,the ground Clearance/approach/departure angles of Jeep Compass is not quite confidence inspiring to take on that drive though,Trailhawk could be different story, I would have brought pre facelift Trailhawk for this price have I known FCA will get me to this position)

As of now wait is 'on' for Citroen C5 Air cross - Have been looking at the reviews available , but none were pointing to the driving dynamics that we have been looking for , so looked up there are any Km77 Maniobra de Esquiva(Moose Test) test videos for C5 Air Cross and it did have one. listing the link below :-

Also providing the link for the test done with 2017 Jeep Compass

C5 Aircross does a good job in the moose test and is at par with how Jeep Compass did , Fingers crossed and waiting for more details on C5 Aircross.

With FCA and PSA coming together to form Stellantis , I hope there will be a day in not so long future when we get to see Jeep and Citroen sold together or sharing logistics here.Unless that happens or FCA India pulls a rabbit out their Hat ,with this pricing Jeep might not make the volumes to sustain alone and take the Fiat route.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th February 2021 at 22:16. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
TourqeHead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 07:17   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

2022 Jeep Compass to be unveiled on April 04th ( International markets )

New Jeep Compass 2022 with a renewed look and new engine will be launched on April 4th. SUV will also have completely renovated dashboard

The new Jeep Compass 2022 spied as it runs in final tests to debut in April.

Engine:

Quote:
The new Jeep Compass 2022 will debut the new 1.3 Turbo Firefly Flex engine. The power with gasoline will be 176 hp and ethanol is 183 hp .

But there are possibilities for the propellant to reach 185/186 hp with ethanol. The engine will work with a CVT gear from the one supplied by Japan's Aisin.

The 2.0 Turbo diesel engine will also be recalibrated to yield more power and feel, but will continue to be linked to the nine-speed ZF gearbox with 4 × 4 traction.
Quote:
In the external look, the restyled Jeep Compass will only have a new front bumper, new wheels and taillights with new light arrangements.

Inside, the store bath will be complete. The dashboard has been completely redesigned and the SUV will have a floating multimedia center
Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-1.jpg

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks