Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 19:42   #106
BHPian

Re: 2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Yes I did give the auto hold a try and it works flawlessly. Thanks for that! I didn’t even know the car had this feature. The jerk is very pronounced when I shift from D to N at say, a traffic light. If the car is moving slow and I shift, it doesn’t happen. Happens only when the car is stationary.
Do you have your foot on the 'brake' pedal when you shift from D to N? Sometimes there is an interlock that activates only when the brake pedal is fully pressed.

When I mentioned the oil level - it is the transmission oil level and not the engine oil level. Yes, I understand the car is new - and - yes such things do sometimes happen in the production line. So dont fret. the Good thing is if it is an issue and you find it early - you can avoid further damage. If it is not an issue - then great , you will learn to live with it eventually.

Last edited by torquecurve : 19th April 2021 at 19:50.
Old 19th April 2021, 20:07   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I did give the auto hold a try and it works flawlessly. Thanks for that! I didn’t even know the car had this feature. The jerk is very pronounced when I shift from D to N at say, a traffic light. If the car is moving slow and I shift, it doesn’t happen. Happens only when the car is stationary.
Ok - am a bit confused here. Did disabling the auto hold get rid of the jerk?

Here are some comments from @RavenAvi on his Creta IVT thread
" I am totally addicted to the Auto Hold button now. It is immensely helpful in start-stop traffic and whenever I have to do a quick stop. I engage it immediately after I start moving out from our garage, and have made a habit of shifting to N-Neutral whenever I come to a short halt. It engages itself as soon as vehicle speed is 0 (indicated by it's white marker turning green). Need to start moving again? Shift back to D-Drive and just dab on the A-pedal! (Note - Auto Hold needs to be enabled every time you shut off and restart the engine)."
Old 20th April 2021, 07:05   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Do you have your foot on the 'brake' pedal when you shift from D to N? Sometimes there is an interlock that activates only when the brake pedal is fully pressed.

When I mentioned the oil level - it is the transmission oil level and not the engine oil level. Yes, I understand the car is new - and - yes such things do sometimes happen in the production line. So dont fret. the Good thing is if it is an issue and you find it early - you can avoid further damage. If it is not an issue - then great , you will learn to live with it eventually.
Yes I have my door on the brake pedal. Sequence of events: slow down for a traffic light. Complete stop. Brake pedal is still depressed. Shift gear from D to N. Jerk.

However if I do the same before I reach a full stop and shift the gear from D to N, then there is no jerk at all. Only once the car is fully stopped with the brake pedal on, and I shift, the jerk happens

Yep, transmission oil, I know. I don’t think we can access that though, can we?
Old 20th April 2021, 07:09   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Ok - am a bit confused here. Did disabling the auto hold get rid of the jerk?

"
Please correct my auto hold procedure.

When we come to a halt, are we supposed to shift the car from D to N with the auto hold engaged? Or keep the car in D only?

I just tried it a couple of times, and I kept the car in D with the auto hold engaged. Is the gearbox still engaged in D?
Old 20th April 2021, 09:45   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Thanks Joey. Surprised you haven't used the Auto Hold. It's one of the most useful features if you are driving more in city and traffic conditions !
Will surely start using it now. I have been keeping my foot on brake with gear lever at D, whenever there is a need to stop in traffic. I guess that’s not the way to go with Automatics. Am glad I joined this forum. So much to learn. Thanks again
Old 20th April 2021, 09:51   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If the wall behind is just beyond the red lines in reverse parking view, the tailgate will not touch when it opens
Good to learn that.
However, what I meant is the automatic opening of tail gate, auto initiated when the key is in it’s proximity (driver is outside and behind car) and car itself is in off position. Don’t think the tailgate has any option of accessing the camera/sensors feed then.
Now, I may be incorrect in my appreciation of the features, but I shared my practical experience.
Old 20th April 2021, 10:26   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey90210 View Post
Good to learn that.
However, what I meant is the automatic opening of tail gate, auto initiated when the key is in it’s proximity (driver is outside and behind car) and car itself is in off position. Don’t think the tailgate has any option of accessing the camera/sensors feed then.
Now, I may be incorrect in my appreciation of the features, but I shared my practical experience.

I'm talking solely from a measurement perspective. When you park the car, and the wall/gate behind is just beyond the red line, even if your accidentally trigger the tailgate, it will not cause an issue BU touching the wall. It will fit.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 10:27   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

When we come to a halt, are we supposed to shift the car from D to N with the auto hold engaged? Or keep the car in D only?

I just tried it a couple of times, and I kept the car in D with the auto hold engaged. Is the gearbox still engaged in D?
If I am not wrong, there is no need of shifting from D to N. Yes the Auto Hold should work even in D mode and the gearbox would remain engaged.

It's like how you come to a halt in a manual car, wherein you have pressed the clutch and brake pedal and are in the first gear.
Old 20th April 2021, 11:06   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

I'm talking solely from a measurement perspective. When you park the car, and the wall/gate behind is just beyond the red line, even if your accidentally trigger the tailgate, it will not cause an issue BU touching the wall. It will fit.
Got it now. Thanks 😊
I wish I had luxury of such a long covered parking space
Old 20th April 2021, 12:43   #115
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
If I am not wrong, there is no need of shifting from D to N. Yes the Auto Hold should work even in D mode and the gearbox would remain engaged.

It's like how you come to a halt in a manual car, wherein you have pressed the clutch and brake pedal and are in the first gear.
Good question. If you use the auto-hold for the intended functionality i.e. to briefly hold the car on an incline while you move the right foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal, then it is fine and but natural that the transmission will need to be in D
But if you plan to use it for a traffic light stop, then I am not sure if keeping the transmission engaged for a > 30sec stop, is advisable. If this was the DCT version, I would have straightaway said do-not-do-it. As this is the CVT, I am not so sure - but logically, keeping the transmission engaged using the brake to hold it, seems like a bad idea @ a traffic light stop.
Other members can chime in

@07CR
>>It's like how you come to a halt in a manual car, wherein you have pressed the clutch and brake pedal and are in the first gear
This is not the same - in a MT, depressing the clutch disengages the transmision.
kedar_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 13:27   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@07CR
>>It's like how you come to a halt in a manual car, wherein you have pressed the clutch and brake pedal and are in the first gear
This is not the same - in a MT, depressing the clutch disengages the transmision.
Thanks for the correction.
Old 20th April 2021, 15:59   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Good question.
But if you plan to use it for a traffic light stop, then I am not sure if keeping the transmission engaged for a > 30sec stop, is advisable. If this was the DCT version, I would have straightaway said do-not-do-it. As this is the CVT, I am not so sure - but logically, keeping the transmission engaged using the brake to hold it, seems like a bad idea @ a traffic light stop.
Other members can chime in
I think when the car comes to a stop at a traffic light with the auto hold engaged, the clutch will declutch. I could be wrong though.

At such a time, the rpm drops to idle rpm suggesting that the clutch is not engaged. Am I right to think so? If the clutch was engaged in D then maybe the rpm would be above the normal idle?
derek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 11:04   #118
BHPian

Quote:
I think when the car comes to a stop at a traffic light with the auto hold engaged, the clutch will declutch. I could be wrong though.

At such a time, the rpm drops to idle rpm suggesting that the clutch is not engaged. Am I right to think so? If the clutch was engaged in D then maybe the rpm would be above the normal idle?
Your above assessment is accurate to my logical mind
Is your 'jerk' problem resolved after disabling the auto-hold?
On level ground, you should not be getting any jerk even with it enabled as the engine doesn't need a lot of revs going to move the vehicle. There may be a slight jerk on a steep incline ...
Old 21st April 2021, 11:36   #119
BHPian

I don't own Hector so I can't comment on the Auto Hold available in Hector. However I own Tata Safari Automatic and have been using it from day 1. I am assuming it works the same way for other cars as well.

Here is how it is intended to work in safari and also works exactly the same way described. Refer to my post on the Safari thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5047977 (2021 Tata Safari Review)

Last edited by varman742 : 21st April 2021 at 11:58.
varman742 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 16:29   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Your above assessment is accurate to my logical mind
Is your 'jerk' problem resolved after disabling the auto-hold?
On level ground, you should not be getting any jerk even with it enabled as the engine doesn't need a lot of revs going to move the vehicle. There may be a slight jerk on a steep incline ...
The jerk problem still persists. See it's more like a mechanism thud that happens, like the gear not being slotted freely into its place. Only happens from D to N and only when the car is stationery. Maybe I'm just used to my Octavia dsg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks