No 206 56.13%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:16   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Auspicious days & times for car deliveries | Your thoughts

Auspicious days & times for car deliveries | Your thoughts-p1080996.jpg

Muhurats (auspicious days & times) are de rigueur in India. We don't do anything without them - forget buying a house or a car, I've heard of people even getting a smartphone on auspicious days. I don't believe in waiting for that "good" day or time, but my family does. My kid brother recently bought a car which was ready on 2nd - 3rd Jan. However, there was no "muhurat" until 15th Jan, so we had to wait for almost 2 weeks! Definitely the longest 12 days of my life

I personally wouldn't go out of the way waiting for a muhurat, but like Vaastu, if it doesn't alter my plans too much, I'll go with the flow. As an example, if the car is ready on the 1st but the 2nd is an "auspicious" day, I don't mind waiting. But I certainly wouldn't wait for 2 weeks.

I bought my 1st-gen City Vtec (family surprise), Civic (the day it was ready for delivery), 5-Series (sister's birthday), Jeep (my birthday) and Accord (USA time) without even checking for auspicious dates. These turned out to be my luckiest cars and I had the best ownership experiences with them.

On the other hand, some of the cars we bought as per auspicious times (C180, Indigo) turned out to be disasters. Even the C220 - bought by muhurat - was a patchy ownership experience with many mechanical & electronic failures in the initial 5 years (things were better from 50000 - 100000 km).

What are your thoughts & beliefs on taking car delivery around these auspicious times? Did you ever have a l-o-n-g wait because of any of them? For which car? How much did you wait?

Auspicious days & times for car deliveries | Your thoughts-c220-delivery-11.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2021 at 10:18.
GTO is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Auspicious days & times for car deliveries | Your thoughts

Followed only one rule and that too because Mom said so - Not getting the car home on a Saturday.

No other muhurat, rule considered or followed.
Eddy is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:26   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

What are your thoughts & beliefs on taking car delivery around these auspicious times?
I believe every day is a good day. When I bought my car or scooters, I never had this thought in my mind, it is only when the salesperson told me that, I realized people look for the occasions.

Still I did not wait for any specific day, just planned when it is convenient to me to pick up the car.
shipnil is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

As far as I am concerned, any purchase made by my own or family's hard earned money is auspicious any time of the day or year. There is nothing good or bad about natural elements of the universe, we are a part of them !

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 22nd February 2021 at 10:30.
fhdowntheline is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:27   #5
BHPian

I would not recognize an "auspicious" day if it was shouting out loud in my face. I go with it only when it becomes a significantly important element for my parents or in-laws as arguing around the principle is more tiring. Else, neither my wife nor I have ever bothered about which day. It all comes down to - does our calendar for the day allows us to collect/register/bring home etc etc.
Hells Bells is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:28   #6
BHPian

For all my car deliveries so far, I just rushed to the dealer the earliest I could, whenever they called up and said the car is ready.

But since the question has now been asked, I would consider the following "auspicious" days/times:

1. When there is less rush at the dealer's ( perhaps an afternoon on a working day or something like that? )

2. When there is less traffic on the roads so that you can drive home in your new car peacefully.

That's it!
Bigzero is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:31   #7
BHPian

I'm a believer of auspicious timings for bookings /deliveries only. We usually take deliveries on Monday /Thursday /Friday. No purchases during dhanurmasa (usually between 2nd week of Dec to 2nd week of Jan) as it's that time of the year to get rid of old things and not buy new stuff. No particular muhurat as such but prefer to take the delivery during amrutagalige (golden moment) which occurs multiple times in a day. So we adjust the timings accordingly.

If the delivery is during the summer, Akshaya Tritiya is a highly preferred date. If in the dasara-deepawali season, the preferred date is Vijayadashami.
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:34   #8
BHPian

Years back, one of my neighbor in Bangalore bought a white Swift Top end model with a specific number plate on an auspicious day but took delivery close to 8 months later because that auspicious day was only for payment and not car delivery it seems.

PS: They apparently paid rent to the dealer to keep the car there in a covered parking!
RaghuVis is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:42   #9
Team-BHP Support

I don't wait for a specific day/time/month/anything to take delivery of a vehicle, or anything else for that matter. If it's paid for and available, I'd like it as early as possible. With vehicles, I only ask for delivery to be early evening at the latest so all the formalities are completed before dark and there aren't any surprises (dents/scratches that may be missed.
libranof1987 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:44   #10
Team-BHP Support

For me, the most auspicious day for new car delivery is always "today". And the most auspicious time is "right now".
SmartCat is offline   (84) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Not getting the car home on a Saturday.
Me too. No booking advance or deliveries on Saturdays. Also in Kolkata its customary to get the car pooja done post delivery (usually on the way back home from dealership) at a nearby Kali Temple. I did that too at Lake Kalibari and involves among other things the breaking of a coconut, drawing tilak inside the bonnet, etc.

Moreover every year when possible around mid September the car gets a Puja on the occasion of Vishwakarma Puja.

Not ashamed of our spiritual rituals. I know several people who utter the Hanuman Chalisa before starting the car engine daily. Even keeping a piece of the Dhwaj (Flag) hoisted daily on top of the Jagannath Temple of Puri in your car is also considered sacred and to be protecting you from dangers.
haisaikat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:49   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Followed only one rule and that too because Mom said so - Not getting the car home on a Saturday.
I avoided Saturday during my last purchase because my SA said so.

He insisted that no one takes delivery on a Saturday. Instead they were ready to wait till 8:30PM on Friday to give me delivery (or on Sunday). I chose the former.

All other purchases/deliveries till date have been whenever the car was ready, sooner the better! Exceptions were only when there was a birthday or a festivity just around the corner and if the delivery date was flexible. Even here, we never waited more than 2 weeks for any special date.

Last edited by ashis89 : 22nd February 2021 at 10:54.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

I don’t believe in things like this, when buying something, anything, any day you get it automatically becomes a good day because you are getting something you want/desire.

Why complicate life, cause brain overload, keep things simple. Of course, to each his/her own.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:03   #14
VRJ
BHPian

My dad always checks the calendar (not the English one, the one in Telugu that talks about the stars and the moon etc). I don’t know what he sees. He’s like today is a good day, tomorrow isn’t. He also calls someone who’s a friend and an expert at this. When we purchased a Fortuner in 2018, his friend set a muhurtham of taking delivery in the morning between 8AM to 9AM. The showroom opens at around 10AM. However, that day my dad made sure it opened at 8 in the morning and he got his delivery. There’s a date and a time for doing things. Almost everyone I meet follow these.

Auspicious day? Fifteen vehicles outside the temple to get the vehicle pooja done. Bad day? Nada, zero vehicles. I don’t know what science there is behind this. Maybe it also has to do with where and how you grew up. I haven’t come across a single person who doesn’t follow these. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I live in a place where there are a lot of traditions. Majority of the baby boomers believe in god. So, this muhurtham concept is not going anywhere. I do visit temples, but I’m not a strong believer in god and I don’t leave things up to him and I rather believe in the hard work I put in (a lot of Millennials and Gen Z share this feeling). However, I’m still going to follow the muhurtham thing because why mess with something that’s beyond us? No harm in following it. There’s a reason why our elders do it. I’m ok waiting a day or two to take delivery of my car.

Cheers!

Last edited by VRJ : 22nd February 2021 at 11:21.
VRJ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:05   #15
MSC
BHPian

In India its difficult to get car according to your own will & wish. If not more, atleast half of the car delivery schedules go for a toss because of non-adherence of timeline from dealership. A specific color or model is most likely to take its own sweet time to come. Then dealership takes its own sweet time to finish off formalities. In the end, customer is usually frustrated to the level that car buyer just goes and gets the car whenever it's available.
In atleast case, for three cars, two bikes and a scooty, the desired timeline was never met by any of the dealerships. In the end I just take the vehicle and just vanish from dealership. Asking for a specific time slot usually makes the delivery prolonged.
MSC is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks