Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2022, 19:35   #406
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Is it a 5 seater or 7 seater as some initial reports speculated?
Old 13th July 2022, 19:48   #407
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

4th Gen Tucson in red colour short review by Faisal Khan.

The top End petrol doesn't come with AWD & gets a wheel sized spare wheel with alloy.

Last edited by Mathan1130 : 13th July 2022 at 19:55. Reason: Added info
Mathan1130 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 19:53   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
Hyundai 4th Gen Tucson is a 5 seater SUV !
Old 13th July 2022, 19:57   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
This is a 5 seater. Don’t know why some media house speculated it to be a 7 seater when globally it is no where sold as a 7 seater config. It was always going to be highly unlikely that a company would change a global high seller just for one market.
SinghShu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 20:45   #410
BHPian

Seems perfect to me except color of the interiors and layout of dashboard. Will cancel the booking of the XUV700 AWD L once the price is revealed. Will miss the flexibilty of a 7-seater though.
superbhikari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 21:12   #411
BHPian

I know beige interior is hard to maintain, i own a car with one. Having said that in a country where light colours are considered premium, Hyundai made a logical choice. Most people would like it. Point of case Creta.
arvishnu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 21:37   #412
BHPian

Tucson will be manufactured in India. Hyundai is aiming for very high volumes. Most likely will price it aggressively.

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...-adas/92853915

Quote:
Hyundai's new Tucson will be manufactured in India, however it is not considered for exports. It will be sold through Hyundai’s 246 signature networks present in 125 cities, which already sells models like the i20 N Line and a few Alcazar trims.
Quote:
Hyundai expects this segment of “high SUVs” to see sales volumes of up to 55,000 units in FY24, and about 40,000 units in FY23.

With the new model, the carmaker is targeting the customers in the range of 30-45 years. These are also the existing Hyundai customers who own a Creta, Venue and now looking to upgrade into the Tucson. “About 68% of Tucson customers are existing Hyundai customers,” Garg said.
Quote:
However, in India, the car maker’s sales volume has remained feeble and managed to clock cumulative sales of 6,214 units of the model in the last five fiscal years.

Domestic Sales (in units)

FY18 -1775
FY19 -1538
FY20 - 699
FY21 - 980
FY22 -1222

Last edited by manpreetsj : 13th July 2022 at 21:40.
manpreetsj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 22:06   #413
Senior - BHPian

Having the same engine and gearbox on the petrol Tucson as the the Alcazar may not cut it with the buyers. I feel the reveal is a kind of a let down with the same engine's carried over; wonder what the premium is going to be over the previous model. It's feature rich as it's always with Hyundai's wonder how it's to drive.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 13th July 2022 at 22:08.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 22:10   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
2wd diesel - 36 lakhs and 4wd Diesel - 38 lakhs. All prices OTR Bangalore.
38.xx L on road Bangalore = ~ 32.xx L Ex showroom?
The just discontinued top of the line version (Diesel 2.0 Auto, AWD) was 27.xx Ex showroom. I seriously hope this SA's feelings are just that and not Hyundai's feelers. ~ 2L rise for a new generation is still palatable but a 5 L jump?
There's no differentiating PHEV/hybrid visible to purportedly justify such a jump either(eg the City regular vs hybrid). The only thing Tucson has definitely better than other similarly priced vehicles (Compass, Skoda/VW offerings,C5) is the Hyundai reach & better ASS experience. Would they hazard 3 extra Lakhs for this? Not sure if the sales figures are going to be any different than the earlier version if they do give in to the temptation.

Last edited by Vtach : 13th July 2022 at 22:37.
Vtach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 22:27   #415
R_R
BHPian

The lack of an AWD option in petrol in the Hyundai Tucson is a real bummer, leaving anyone who wants that combination no other choice than to opt for the VW Tiguan, and accept all the attendant risk of VW unreliability and ASS. I am personally in that bind now. Maybe the Tucson Diesel will be priced low enough to consider it as an alternative to the petrol Tiguan, but I seriously doubt that. (To clarify, this is only a problem for those of us in the Delhi NCR region, who face the 10-year registration limit for diesel vehicles, reducing the affordability of diesels).

A couple of interesting additional points:
1. Unlike the US/Australian LWB versions, the Indian Tucson does have electric foldable ORVMs, which is good.
2. The petrol version seems full-sized spare, but the diesel one gets a space-saver. I wonder why? And, if one wants, is there sufficient space to replace the space-saver with a full-sized one, I wonder?
3. Interior space for knick knacks seems a bit limited, especially in the front, because the provision of the gear-lever eliminates some space under the center console that is available in the versions with shift-by-wire gears. And the side door pockets seem quite small, compared to the Tiguan. I wonder if this has a sunglass holder in the roof, because some international reviews mentioned it does not.
4. I wonder how the ADAS system would work in India's chaotic road conditions, which includes poorly marked lanes.
5. Also, according to the Hyundai website, only a 3-year warranty??? That seems low these days, though it's offset by Hyundai's better reliability and ASS compared to competitors like Jeep, VW and Citroen. (Will have to see what extended warranties are offered, of course. The Alcazar does get it up to 7 years with extended warranty).

Last edited by R_R : 13th July 2022 at 22:36.
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 23:13   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Tucson will be manufactured in India. Hyundai is aiming for very high volumes. Most likely will price it aggressively.
When they say manufactured in India, do they mean its NOT a CKD anymore? This is good news and bad news.

Good obviously because it can be priced lower. Bad because knowing Hyundai, when they manufacture an international model in India for India, they cheapen the structure thereby seriously compromising safety. It is very well known that they have done this with the Venue (Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue) and Creta. If that has been done with the new Tucson as well, its the safety becomes a big question mark until it is actually tested by GNCAP or Bharat-NCAP. With the earlier Tucson (Are Indian Hyundais different from developed market Hyundais? If so, how?) at least, the one sold in India was structurally the same as the international one, and that gave some reassurance as far as safety goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
2. The petrol version seems full-sized spare, but the diesel one gets a space-saver. I wonder why?
The diesel versions have the DEF tank just below the boot floor, hence the floor has to be raised resulting in that space becoming more shallow (to make sure total boot space remains the same). A full size spare will NOT fit in this shallower space. The outgoing Gen3 Tucson was also exactly like this, the petrol has a full size spare while the diesel has a space-saver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
And, if one wants, is there sufficient space to replace the space-saver with a full-sized one, I wonder?
Nope. If you do that the boot floor cover will not close at all. At least this is how its in the Gen3 Tucson and it should be the same with the new one as well.
lordrayden is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 23:46   #417
BHPian

I hope there is option to remove the rollable parcel tray. It looks flimsy so would be good to keep that space open

Couple of other things I was hoping Tucson would have added here (considering its already in Creta):
- Sun blind for rear windows
- Air Purifier

Also, we are in 2022 and cars should start giving native USB-C ports. From what I know in Creta, since the car only supports wired Android Auto/Apple Car play, you will miss out on fast charge. In US variants, wireless Android Auto/Apple Car play is supported so not sure if there is any country specific regulations that they could not bring it here.

The SA are getting trained this week so we should get more info from them by end of week.

On exterior colour, I see Starry Night has been retained from previous generation and it seems India specific. I could not see that option in US or Australia.

I was also looking little more into Shift By Wire and found this video. I found it a bit complicated and maybe Hyundai wanted to keep it simple for customers in India.
Old 14th July 2022, 00:33   #418
BHPian

While the media is considering this new Tucson to be a competitor for C5 Aircross / Compass / Taigun / Kodiaq (probably based on the expected price); I am not sure how much sense does it make for Hyundai to do that.

Compass has a very different appeal due to its offroading prowess, so unlikely that Tucson can compete with Compass directly. All other cars put together don't cross even 200-300 in monthly cumulative sales.

Moreover, it seems it will be manufactured in India and won't be considered for exports:

Either this report is incorrect, or Hyundai is planning to price this aggressively. Why would they manufacture this in India for selling 50-100 units a month? If it was a CKD, would still make sense.

I think (wishfully, of course) that Hyundai may try to compete directly with XUV 700 with this. Even if this is priced a little higher than XUV 700 (which basically just means same pricing as the current gen Tucson in India), it can hope to clock considerable volumes. It can easily do 1000 units a month by just converting the impatient waiters of XUV 700

Last edited by tarunjain : 14th July 2022 at 00:49.
Old 14th July 2022, 01:06   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post

I think (wishfully, of course) that Hyundai tries to compete directly with XUV 700 with this. Even if this is priced a little higher than XUV 700 (which basically just means same pricing as the current gen Tucson in India), it can hope to clock considerable volumes. It can easily do 1000 units a month by just converting the impatient waiters of XUV 700
Some of the things in the article appear to be aligned to what you are saying:

Not for export.
Cannot be positioned as upgrade for creta and venue without aggressive pricing.
about 68% of Tuscon customers are existing Hyundai customers. Don't expect 68% existing customers to shell out 30l plus.

Items quoted below are said by:
Tarun Garg, Director- Sales & Marketing, Hyundai Motor India.

Quote:

"Hyundai's new Tucson will be manufactured in India, however it is not considered for exports. It will be sold through Hyundai’s 246 signature networks present in 125 cities, which already sells models like the i20 N Line and a few Alcazar trims.

Hyundai expects this segment of “high SUVs” to see sales volumes of up to 55,000 units in FY24, and about 40,000 units in FY23.

With the new model, the carmaker is targeting the customers in the range of 30-45 years. These are also the existing Hyundai customers who own a Creta, Venue and now looking to upgrade into the Tucson. “About 68% of Tucson customers are existing Hyundai ,” Garg said.

Read more at:

Last edited by ajayc123 : 14th July 2022 at 01:15.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 02:08   #420
Senior - BHPian

I don't see the appeal. It's going to be a compass competitor without any features that would make it stand apart other than the futuristic styling which could be rather hit or miss depending on personal preference.

Hyundai should have just given this diesel engine-gearbox combo in the Alcazar and priced it 5-6 lakhs higher and enjoyed being the best diesel option in the 7 seater cross-over market that is seeing heavy movement. Right now the alcazar is considered a compromise and mostly appeals to those who can't afford the Safari/XUV700 with their way better engines and just need a people mover with some tech features. Hyundai/kia has the best cameras and digital speedometer/UI in the mass market segment and this poewrtrain would have made it truly premium.

Hyundai could have blown the safari out of the water with this move and been a worthy competitor to the XUV700.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks