Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2022, 06:47   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post
While the media is considering this new Tucson to be a competitor for C5 Aircross / Compass / Taigun / Kodiaq (probably based on the expected price); I am not sure how much sense does it make for Hyundai to do that.

Compass has a very different appeal due to its offroading prowess, so unlikely that Tucson can compete with Compass directly. All other cars put together don't cross even 200-300 in monthly cumulative sales.
A Compass cannot do as much off-roading as a Fortuner 4WD. Its more of a fox amongst the hens. After that, I would say the soft-roading prowess of the Tiguan and Tucson may be closely matched. But clearly, none of them are true hard core off roaders, Compass Trailhawk included. Even the less than half-priced Duster AWD would have been equal or slightly better than some of these.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 14th July 2022 at 06:50.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 07:04   #422
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
I hope there is option to remove the rollable parcel tray. It looks flimsy so would be good to keep that space open.
Yes, it can be removed. The two black end caps that keep the entire unit in place in those groves are actually spring-loaded and if you push those end caps inwards (away from the boot wall), it comes off. There is also a place to securely lock it in place at the bottom of the boot as well.

I think a lot of the articles are incorrectly calling this or implying its a parcel tray. Its not a tray where things can be kept, its obviously too flimsy for that. Its actually a cargo cover or privacy cover just to make sure people cant peek into the book and see what's in there and get tempted to steal stuff .

Quote:
Couple of other things I was hoping Tucson would have added here (considering its already in Creta):
- Air Purifier
Though it doesn't have a Creta/Seltos style air purifier with a display, I remember that someone mentioned on one of the walkaround videos that the AC has a PM2.5 filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
about 68% of Tuscon customers are existing Hyundai customers. Don't expect 68% existing customers to shell out 30l plus.
Say this sells about 200 units a month, which is reasonable given the price segment and how many units the previous gen Tucson used to sell. Hyundai are expecting that 136 of that 200 to be from within the Hyundai family itself. Maybe those upgrading from the Verna, Venue, Creta, Elantra, etc. This is definitely possible I feel. Given the massive existing Hyundai customer base, expecting just 136 of them to buy this car every month isn't out of the ordinary to be honest. Just browsing through this thread will tell you that many BHPians interested in this car are existing Hyundai customers. Folks wanting to stay in the Hyundai family is not surprising for those who have gotten used to and like the general fuss free ownership experience.
lordrayden is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 07:26   #423
BHPian

If this car is really going to be manufactured in India and not CKD unit, I am really worried on safety ratings it might get

It's high time even media brings that up when they are interviewing some of execs during launch. Hyundai needs to come beyond just bells and whistles around features and focus on safety. The last thing I want is shelling close to 40L OTR for top end variant and ending up with a 3* GNCAP rated car.

From their website:
The body structure has been strengthened with AHSS (Advanced High Strength Steel) & HSS (High Strength Steel) application and an extensive application of hot-stamping to assure of superior protection in the event of a collision
neel911 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 07:49   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If this car is really going to be manufactured in India and not CKD unit, I am really worried on safety ratings it might get

It's high time even media brings that up when they are interviewing some of execs during launch. Hyundai needs to come beyond just bells and whistles around features and focus on safety. The last thing I want is shelling close to 40L OTR for top end variant and ending up with a 3* GNCAP rated car.

From their website:
The body structure has been strengthened with AHSS (Advanced High Strength Steel) & HSS (High Strength Steel) application and an extensive application of hot-stamping to assure of superior protection in the event of a collision
They used to advertise Creta having strength to take weight of african elephant, we all know how it turned out in NCAP rating. Just marketing ploy by Hyundai by using jargons. I would only believe the safety rating when actual crash test happens otherwise it is just on paper!

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 14th July 2022 at 07:50.
Aviator_guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 08:01   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Tucson will be manufactured in India. Hyundai is aiming for very high volumes. Most likely will price it aggressively.

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...-adas/92853915
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post

Items quoted below are said by:
Tarun Garg, Director- Sales & Marketing, Hyundai Motor India.
I see contradictory information from moneycontrol.com stating that the new Tuscon is CKD. Not sure which is factual.
For my situation, I would love to get a non-CKD/ locally manufactured vehicle.
My worry (maybe I am overthinking/ paranoid) is that the parts may not be available in Tier 2 locations (Kurnool, AP) and it may take a while to transport them. Peace of mind is essential.
When I spoke with my ASS, they said at any point in time, they would keep the parts/consumables sufficient to service one single Tuscon. Apparently, there are 5 Tuscons in my district, which the ASS caters to as of Feb 2022.
Request your input /feedback on the negatives of CKD from a Tier 2 location's perspective.

Here is the link https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/au...n-8822301.html
Old 14th July 2022, 08:05   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post

Say this sells about 200 units a month, which is reasonable given the price segment and how many units the previous gen Tucson used to sell. Hyundai are expecting that 136 of that 200 to be from within the Hyundai family itself. Maybe those upgrading from the Verna, Venue, Creta, Elantra, etc. This is definitely possible I feel. Given the massive existing Hyundai customer base, expecting just 136 of them to buy this car every month isn't out of the ordinary to be honest.
I agree, if it's such a low number. I can't make peace with this number based on the Hyundai's statements. But I don't want to spend more time on speculation, rather wait for time to reveal this outcome.
Old 14th July 2022, 09:16   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Tucson will be manufactured in India. Hyundai is aiming for very high volumes. Most likely will price it aggressively.
When they say locally manufactured, are they considering local assembly of CKD as local manufacturing? The article is not clear on this part and its also mentioning that Hyundai has no plans to expand the capacity. Lets wait for one of the front-end automotive media house to confirm on the local manufacturing (in true sense). Local manufacturing could have given better cost points and exports will be enjoying the benefits but exports from India is not happening - another pointer that its a CKD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Hyundai should have just given this diesel engine-gearbox combo in the Alcazar and priced it 5-6 lakhs higher and enjoyed being the best diesel option in the 7 seater cross-over market that is seeing heavy movement.
I don't think the 2L diesel motor is localized in India and so they didn't plonk it on Alcazar - to keep the prices affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post
While the media is considering this new Tucson to be a competitor for C5 Aircross / Compass / Taigun / Kodiaq (probably based on the expected price); I am not sure how much sense does it make for Hyundai to do that.
Media must have been fed this comparison by the marketing folks of Hyundai and they will do that to mitigate the shock factor when the pricing is announced. Lack of MT is a indication that prices will be on the higher side.
Old 14th July 2022, 09:57   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
When they say locally manufactured, are they considering local assembly of CKD as local manufacturing? The article is not clear on this part and its also mentioning that Hyundai has no plans to expand the capacity. Lets wait for one of the front-end automotive media house to confirm on the local manufacturing (in true sense). Local manufacturing could have given better cost points and exports will be enjoying the benefits but exports from India is not happening - another pointer that its a CKD.
Agreed. The statement made by management is conflicting in a sense that at one end they are saying manufacture in India + sell higher volumes (3K units per month?! vs. 100-150 of current gen.) & on other end launching only AT and marketing it as a competition to Tiguan, Compass, etc.

If manufactured locally & launched at same price as current gen., it will be an upgrade over Creta & may drive volumes. But at Tiguan pricing, this will sell even less than current gen. In 35+ OTR price bracket, I doubt anyone would go for a Hyundai branded premium car (In this segment European brands are aspirational brands).
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 10:01   #429
BHPian

Here are all the features listed on the website so far

https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/find-a-car/tucson

. 26.03 cm (10.25") HD Audio Video Navigation System
. Split Screen display
. Embedded Voice Commands
. Smartphone Connectivity (Android Auto / Apple Car Play)
. Full Touch centre fascia integrating infotainment and AC controls
. Multi Language Support (10 Regional Languages and 2 Global Languages)
. Home-to-Car (H2C) with Alexa and Google Voice Assistant in Hindi & English (1st in
Segment)
. Over-the-air updates (system and map)
. Ambient Sounds of Nature
. Valet Mode
. User Profiles for Personalization

. Bose Premium Sound 8 Speaker System
. Hands Free Smart Power Tail Gate with Height Adjustment
. Driver Power Seat Memory Function
. Electric parking Brake
. Wireless Phone Charger
. Rain Sensing Wipers
. Remote Engine Start with Smart Key

. 2nd Row Seat with Reclining Function
. Large Boot Space
. Passenger Seat Walk-in Device
. 2nd row seat folding - Boot Lever
. 60:40 Split Folding Rear Seat

The all-new Hyundai TUCSON sets a new safety benchmark through a combination of advanced safety features with Hyundai SmartSense (ADAS). The all-new Hyundai TUCSON has been developed on the 3rd Generation Compact (N3) platform that results in achieving best chassis strength and superior safety. The body structure has been strengthened with AHSS (Advanced High Strength Steel) & HSS (High Strength Steel) application and an extensive application of hot-stamping to assure of superior protection in the event of a collision.
Forming the pinnacle of technology in its segment, the all-new Hyundai TUCSON features Hyundai SmartSense with Level 2 ADAS capability. Using automated sensing technology with a camera and radar sensors, the all-new Hyundai TUCSON is able to detect a car, a pedestrian or a cyclist on the road, thereby offering a comprehensive protection. The all-new Hyundai TUCSON with smart and intuitive technology offers 19 Hyundai SmartSense (ADAS) features like

Driving Safety Functions:
. Forward Collision Warning
. Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist- Car
. Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist- Pedestrian
. Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist- Cycle
. Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist- Junction Turning
. Blind-Spot Collision Warning
. Blind-Spot Collision- Avoidance Assist
. Lane Keeping Assist
. Lane Departure Warning
. Driver Attention Warning
. Blind-Spot View Monitor
. Safe Exit Warning

Driving Convenience Functions:
. Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go
. Lane Following Assist
. Safe High Beam Assist
. Leading Vehicle Departure Alert

Parking Safety Functions:
. Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning
. Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist
. Surround View Monitor

Further, the all-new Hyundai TUCSON also offers customers functions such as Surround View Monitor that increase the level of safety when parking or making man oeuvres by showing a 360°view of the vehicle’s surroundings. Additionally, the SUV also offers Blind View Monitor that is activated once the driver uses a turn indicator to shift lanes or make a turn. The all-new Hyundai TUCSON offers customer Level Next Safety with over 45 defensive safety layers in the form of advanced Active and Passive safety features as standard for complete protection. The Standard Advanced Safety features include:

. 6 Airbags (Front Dual, Side & Curtain Airbags)
. Front & Rear Parking Sensors
. Electronic Stability Control
. Hill Descent Control
. Hill Assist Control
. All Disc Brakes
. BVM / SVM
sweetvar26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 10:07   #430
BHPian

New Tucson would be available in two variants - Platinum and Signature. 4WD to be available only in top end Signature diesel variant.
manumike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 10:26   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
The all-new Hyundai TUCSON has been developed on the 3rd Generation Compact (N3) platform that results in achieving best chassis strength and superior safety. The body structure has been strengthened with AHSS (Advanced High Strength Steel) & HSS (High Strength Steel) application and an extensive application of hot-stamping to assure of superior protection in the event of a collision.
This is just marketing jargon to be honest. Unless they present independent crash test results of the Indian variant I'm avoiding this. No amount of ADAS can stop somebody else from hitting you on the road.
caffeineAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 10:33   #432
BHPian

Is this LED housing for head light adequate? How is this different than LED projector we see in some cars? I hope it's much more powerful than Creta which also has full LED housing in top variants I believe and something that is not that powerful.

Also, I'm not sure why Hyundai did not work on ambient light on rear side. It has those black gloss lines on the door which would have been perfect place to add some ambient light. The only place I see the same added is near centre console and front door pockets.

Quote:
In 35+ OTR price bracket, I doubt anyone would go for a Hyundai branded premium car (In this segment European brands are aspirational brands).
I believe the thought process has been changing. This new generation of Tucson has been best seller in lot of countries. Personally for me, post buying experience and ease of mind is important as well and thats where Hyundai excels. Cars in general have become expensive and with discounts going away, people have been more open to consider these brands in the 30-40L range OTR. Earlier people would consider entry level luxury brands in this segment but they have all gone in the ~50L+ range.

Last edited by neel911 : 14th July 2022 at 10:34.
Old 14th July 2022, 10:48   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Personally for me, post buying experience and ease of mind is important as well and thats where Hyundai excels.
True indeed. I had been owning a Hyundai for last 12 years and the overall experience has been extremely good. I had test drove Skoda Octavia few months back and was really tempted to go for it. Only thing that prompted me to hold back on Skoda and wait for the Tucson was the perception on Skoda service levels. Octavia's 2.0 TSi is such a gem.
Old 14th July 2022, 10:52   #434
pms
BHPian

Bit disappointed that Tucson being a flagship model for Hyundai here still misses out on sun blinds, paddle shifters, wireless android/apple car play. Should have provided all features of Creta by default. It all depends on the pricing now and hope they are able to keep between XUV 700 and Compass.
Not very clear from the various walk around videos that Tucson has soft touch materials on the dash and door touch points.
Old 14th July 2022, 11:03   #435
BHPian

Quote:
But at Tiguan pricing, this will sell even less than current gen. In 35+ OTR price bracket, I doubt anyone would go for a Hyundai branded premium car (In this segment European brands are aspirational brands).
While the European brands have aspirational value, they lack the reliability of the Koreans and the Japanese. And we all know how good Hyundai is at selling their cars, more often at a premium price.

Tucson is priced at the same level as Tiguan in the US market and still outsells by a good margin. And with a good sales push and upselling to Creta buyers, there is no reason why they can't replicate that success in India. Just that Hyundai never bothered to sell Tucson and Santafe in India, for a reason only they know.
Bhargav7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks