Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Glanza, Urban Cruiser facelift to be launched this year

Officially Teaser!

Toyota Glanza, Urban Cruiser facelift to be launched this year-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 14:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

I thought I liked the face of Glanza as it’s got Toyota’s touch. But, it’s poorly executed with that Bull Shaped Horn at the front! What was Toyota thinking?

Source: Gaadiwaadi
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Glanza, Urban Cruiser facelift to be launched this year-32f4b5284a6d4337a135e8740ff9eaaf.jpeg  

gururajrv is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 14:45   #48
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if Toyota will use the AMT or keep it manual only. The horn shaped black section on the bumper does look a bit odd.
Old 5th March 2022, 14:52   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I thought I liked the face of Glanza as it’s got Toyota’s touch. But, it’s poorly executed with that Bull Shaped Horn at the front! What was Toyota thinking?
Quite a few Toyota cars (rebadged or otherwise) have received flak for their lacklustre design and rightly so. This might have spurred Toyota to think 'why not take the bull by the horns' and ended up with this!

Minus the bull horn shaped design element, the front end looks good to my eyes.

Last edited by Emvi : 5th March 2022 at 14:54. Reason: Line added
Emvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 15:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
That looks downright killer! With this design, the Glanza will surely take a lot of Baleno, Altroz and i20 buyers away this time, including me if I ever need something from that segment.

Now just hoping for a 4 star NCAP score and these twins will be the perfect cars in that price range, irrespective of the body type!
theAutomaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 20:19   #51
BHPian

It is merely a facelift and nothing suggests there is any change to the body-shell or other structural part. How would a tin can suddenly become a 4* NCAP car with new dash, front and rear bumpers and new lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
Now just hoping for a 4 star NCAP score and these twins will be the perfect cars in that price range, irrespective of the body type!
cuboid is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 20:53   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought I liked the face of Glanza as it’s got Toyota’s touch.
Looks like Toyota has saved some dough on the headlights, using the ones from the current model.
Old 5th March 2022, 21:12   #53
BHPian

Quote:

Seems inspired from Sonet HT line lower bumper design but absolutely hideous at least with the red body colour.

Last edited by AjinkyaP : 5th March 2022 at 21:14.
Old 5th March 2022, 22:03   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
It is merely a facelift and nothing suggests there is any change to the body-shell or other structural part. How would a tin can suddenly become a 4* NCAP car with new dash, front and rear bumpers and new lights?
With due respects, your post is based on half-cooked information and some assumptions being passed on as facts and I would like you to re-evaluate the same.

Now, the previous gen Baleno/Glanza cannot be called tincans due to lack of a crash tested rating for the India-spec Baleno. Hence, use of the word "tincan" for an untested car should be avoided, especially when one is on a respected forum like this and not in YouTube or Instagram comment section of some self pro-claimed crash test experts who judge safety by the brand logo and external damage!

Also, the 2022 Baleno is NOT a facelift but a full model change! Everything including the suspension, bodyshell, brakes, clutch, plastic parts, interior, engine, gearbox and almost everything is changed. Changes have been made to the chassis as well which is evident from driving characteristics of the new car and the 60-90kg extra weight while a different bodyshell is evident from different positioning of the fuel tank lid.

Hence no, the 2022 Baleno/Glanza are not a facelift and neither are the old models a proven tincan.

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 5th March 2022 at 22:05.
theAutomaniac is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 09:12   #55
BHPian

A car which scores 0-star in a crash test, is a tin can. There are no two ways about it, no matter how much we wish it was not, or how popular it is.

I hope you are aware of the Baleno crash test reports during 2021. Please check this, for example.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...sh-test-422481

So yes, with due respects, the previous Baleno was a tin can.

Quote:
With due respects, your post is based on half-cooked information and some assumptions being passed on as facts and I would like you to re-evaluate the same.

Now, the previous gen Baleno/Glanza cannot be called tincans due to lack of a crash tested rating for the India-spec Baleno. Hence, use of the word "tincan" for an untested car should be avoided, especially when one is on a respected forum like this and not in YouTube or Instagram comment section of some self pro-claimed crash test experts who judge safety by the brand logo and external damage!
cuboid is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 13:30   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
I hope you are aware of the Baleno crash test reports during 2021. Please check this, for example.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...sh-test-422481
So yes, with due respects, the previous Baleno was a tin can.
I saw this reply coming and this is exactly the reason why I said that your post was based on half-cooked information!

That crash test was done by Latin NCAP for the Latin American spec Baleno and the score is not relevant to the Maruti Baleno. Yes, the car was made in India but since Latin NCAP and Global NCAP have different crash test norms, a car scoring Zero stars in Latin NCAP cannot be called unsafe with respect to our market.
Heck most of our country's five star cars like the Tata Altroz, Nexon, Punch would score a zero in Latin NCAP because Latin NCAP has employed pretty strict norms in that market and none of these would pass them without a zero or one star rating!

Plus, Baleno was not the only car scoring zero stars in the latest Latin NCAP crash tests! A lot of cars including the Hyundai Verna, Renault Duster, Ford Aspire (KA+), Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage also scored a ZERO star and being structurally poor was not a reason for the score for any of them!

So no, the Maruti Baleno is still not proven unsafe due to lack of crash test ratings and I would advice you to kindly check your information before posting it out on a public forum.

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 6th March 2022 at 13:35.
theAutomaniac is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 14:30   #57
BHPian

To each his own. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion that India spec Baleno is better than the one exported. You believe a car is safe because it is not proven unsafe. I strongly believe it is unsafe because it is not proven safe. That's just perspective, mate!

The proactive steps taken by couple of manufacturers to get new cars crash-tested have been widely lauded in this forum. On the other hand, there are still manufacturers who continue to claim European build quality without any crash tests done even after 9 months of the launch of their so called 2.0 cars. And then there are the ones who consciously alter steels in made-for-India chassis. And those who sell a much inferior car in India with the same name as the global one. And finally we have the giant who have never taken safety seriously except for a few aberrations.

So yes, to each his own. I am the skeptical one when it comes to the generally unscrupulous car manufacturers in India, where there is almost no regulation related to safety. I just don't believe them at face value anymore.

Anyway, my apologies to have come way off the topic of the handsome new Glanza. So I would stop here.

Quote:
I saw this reply coming and this is exactly the reason why I said that your post was based on half-cooked information!

That crash test was done by Latin NCAP for the Latin American spec Baleno and the score is not relevant to the Maruti Baleno. Yes, the car was made in India but since Latin NCAP and Global NCAP have different crash test norms, a car scoring Zero stars in Latin NCAP cannot be called unsafe with respect to our market.
Heck most of our country's five star cars like the Tata Altroz, Nexon, Punch would score a zero in Latin NCAP because Latin NCAP has employed pretty strict norms in that market and none of these would pass them without a zero or one star rating!

Plus, Baleno was not the only car scoring zero stars in the latest Latin NCAP crash tests! A lot of cars including the Hyundai Verna, Renault Duster, Ford Aspire (KA+), Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage also scored a ZERO star and being structurally poor was not a reason for the score for any of them!

So no, the Maruti Baleno is still not proven unsafe due to lack of crash test ratings and I would advice you to kindly check your information before posting it out on a public forum.
cuboid is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 20:03   #58
BHPian

The existing Toyota Glanza has been taken down from official Toyota india website.

The model is now missing from the price list on the official website:

Toyota Glanza, Urban Cruiser facelift to be launched this year-d66e0ad9d670478db3113fdd939dc4ba.jpeg

Also, Toyota Glanza landing page now directs you to contact us/ enquiry page:

Toyota Glanza, Urban Cruiser facelift to be launched this year-4160e8bd274c4ad691777377512b52e3.jpeg

The new facelift Glanza could be partially seen in the following banner:

Toyota Glanza, Urban Cruiser facelift to be launched this year-088f0d286ea94fcabf1448148ed5094e.jpeg
Below is the teaser video of Glanza :
sarav100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 08:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That looks downright killer! With this design, the Glanza will surely take a lot of Baleno, Altroz and i20 buyers away this time, including me if I ever need something from that segment.
Not exactly! As per the arrangement between Toyota and Maruti, the maximum number of vehicles they can sell per month is somewhere around 2000. I guess, they are already hitting that number.
Old 7th March 2022, 09:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a bit of a difference there: a lot of the others scored at least respectably in the front and side impacts and could've scored a lot better at least under Latin NCAP's older (2016-19) protocols which are still more advanced than Global NCAP. For example, Ford had updated the Ka to score three stars under the older protocol, the Duster had scored four stars, the Yaris had scored four but there was a retroactive update to three stars because in the 2021 side impact audit car the passenger-side seatbelt reminder stopped working.

The Baleno's side impact chest protection was such that it would still have been a Latin NCAP zero star car all the way from 2016. So your statement is not completely right.

You are correct in that we cannot use the score to make a comparison with other Indian cars, because literally any one of the current Indian four star cars could possibly have a red body region in side impact and score zero stars starting July (when Global NCAP will introduce a protocol somewhat based on 2016 Latin NCAP).

You are also correct in that the Baleno's side impact problems were not structural; the penetration of the MDB was actually quite limited. The problem was probably because the model was designed to have side airbags as standard during development. It is possible for a small car to have a good side impact without airbags, the Latin American Yaris has done it, for example.

Under the 2020 protocols having a better side impact would not have solely helped the Baleno, because if you don't have standard ESC you're only going to score for front seatbelt reminders which make up 7% in Latin NCAP's safety assist box which brings the whole result to zero, so, yes, any of the Baleno's Indian competitors would have scored zero stars under the 2020 Latin NCAP protocol. We cannot say the same about the 2016 protocol, because while the Baleno would have scored zero stars there too, it's not necessarily the same with its competitors.

Suzuki also declined to recommend child seats so the dynamic score for children was zero. The Latin NCAP overall star rating is limited by the worst of the maximum possible star ratings possible to achieve in each box.

If you look at the balance limits in each box for the LatAm Baleno, the maximum star rating using each box is:
Adult: 0 stars
Child: 1 star
VRUs: 5 stars
Safety Assist: 0 stars

Comparing with another 0-star car you mentioned, the LatAm Hyundai Tucson
Adult: 2 stars
Child: 0 stars
Safety Assist: 0 stars

Compare it with a competitor, the 2-star Peugeot 208:
Adult: 2 stars
Child: 3 stars
Safety Assist: 3 stars

I'd like to say that the Baleno's frontal impact performance was comparable to its competition but unfortunately it's a bad idea to export an LHD result to RHD without evidence, especially with cars whose engines are on the right.

In any case there is a high probability that the new Baleno's side impact might be better than the old one so all this discussion about the old one has no relevance to the new one regardless of whether it's India or Latin America. Based on the high fitment of ESC and side airbags (best in segment, I think, in fact), I expect that it might do well under the new 2022 Global NCAP protocol, assuming the base version (without side airbags)'s side impact injuries are reduced to stay within UN limits.

Last edited by ron178 : 7th March 2022 at 09:52.
ron178 is online now   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks