Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 06:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Glanza, Urban Cruiser facelift to be launched this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
Thanks but no thanks Toyota !!

Etios Liva may be a featureless car, but no way in hell I am gonna trade it for Glanza.
+100. This was exactly my thought. The Etios and Liva are proper Toyotas with the same durability and quality pedigree of a Toyota. People who buy it do not buy it for its features.

And I'm so disappointed with Maruti for changing that CVT for AMT! That was such a disastrous decision! Will bring down Toyota brand value as well in the long run.
amalji is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 07:53   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

2022 Toyota Glanza’s Latest Teaser:

Toyota Glanza, Urban Cruiser facelift to be launched this year-1.jpg

Quote:
Interior to come in black/beige colour scheme.
Gets a head-up display, six airbags, 9-inch touchscreen infotainment system, and Arkamys-tuned sound system.
Powered by a 90PS 1.2-litre DualJet petrol engine, paired with MT and AT.

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 09:20   #78
Senior - BHPian

At least they could have offered the CVT in the Glanza as a differentiator.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 10:16   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2022 Toyota Glanza’s Latest Teaser:
Why are we even excited about the interior teaser? It's just a rebadged launch.
umairalvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 10:39   #80
BHPian

I would have had a "Glanze" at it if CVT was on offer... Now will wait for the refreshed Urban Cruiser to see what it offers.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 10:57   #81
BHPian

Why would anyone buy a Maruti from a Toyota showroom? What is the point of such products?
Old 10th March 2022, 11:09   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
Why would anyone buy a Maruti from a Toyota showroom? What is the point of such products?
You could ask the same question to Aston Martin - Why would anyone buy a Toyota from a Aston Martin showroom?

There are lot of reasons - brand value, warranty, looks, service experience etc. The point is people want a different but good product, and companies are willing to provide that.

And there is lot of other things behind Toyota-Suzuki partnership, that has already been told in numerous other threads so I wont repeat the same thing here.

Name:  Aston_Martin_CygnetautosalesstatisticsEurope.png
Views: 767
Size:  288.7 KB

Last edited by Black_Star : 10th March 2022 at 11:14.
Black_Star is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 20:11   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

New Toyota Glanza in teaser:

Toyota Glanza, Urban Cruiser facelift to be launched this year-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 22:53   #84
BHPian

Toyota you can do better. Please bring a Toyota.

This approach will not sell for a long time. However you push the sales people will know it as a Maruti/Suzuki in a Toyota Badge.
Old 10th March 2022, 23:32   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus_700 View Post
This approach will not sell for a long time. However you push the sales people will know it as a Maruti/Suzuki in a Toyota Badge.
As if Toyota was selling too many cars when they were not in alliance with Suzuki!?

The only models selling in good numbers were Innova and Fortuner. Other models like Etios, Liva, Yaris, Corolla, Camry... all were selling in 3 digit numbers most of the time. Only after their alliance with Suzuki, they were able to give some work for their sales staff - to sell some models and to convince the customer that it is different from Suzuki!
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 08:21   #86
Senior - BHPian

I totally get the lure of the Toyota badge on a Suzuki here. Better resale, better service experience... I honestly think Maruti service is overrated, but the cars are super reliable so it all works!

But the Aston Martin Cygnet is the completely wrong example to quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
You could ask the same question to Aston Martin - Why would anyone buy a Toyota from a Aston Martin showroom?
It was mainly done by Aston for circumventing the rules (emissions + fuel efficiency) by bringing a relatively greener car into the portfolio of big hearted heavyweights.

And the customers in Europe saw right through that and it was a sales disaster!! I think they sold a very paltry ~300 units against their grand plan of 4000 units per year and the plug was pulled in year 2.

But over here, Toyota is overwhelmed by the response to the badge engineering that they now got a premium hatchback with an AMT box in their showroom. Such a shame really! They should have at least retained the CVT unit.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 08:38   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
As if Toyota was selling too many cars when they were not in alliance with Suzuki!?

The only models selling in good numbers were Innova and Fortuner. Other models like Etios, Liva, Yaris, Corolla, Camry... all were selling in 3 digit numbers most of the time. Only after their alliance with Suzuki, they were able to give some work for their sales staff - to sell some models and to convince the customer that it is different from Suzuki!
I think Toyota is full of themselves from day one - considering the Fortuner and Innova have always sold in huge numbers with the order book always full. They haven't had to face struggles selling which I believe they encountered when the entered the more competitive small car segment with the Etios and mid size Corolla segment.

Even though both Etios and Corolla were great products in their respective fields, I think they were both heavily overpriced. Since this segment is more price elastic than the Innova / Fortuner segment, Toyota failed to make a dent as I believe they like to take a good chunk of profits for every unit sold and with their prolonged and continuous success in the past, they were less competitive in this cheaper segment.

Now with this tie up with Suzuki, I feel it is a half hearted attempt to secure some numbers so their portfolio can be increased and they can get more business both for themselves and their dealers. If they were really serious they would be bringing their Yaris here instead. However it would be next to impossible for any of their salesmen to convince me to buy a Toyota badged Maruti over the real thing.

The product is the same so they cannot pitch product superiority. Ofcourse with the new Glanza, there are a few visual differences that gives both the buyer and the seller a reason to differentiate it from the Baleno but ever so slightly.

This partnership would only be taken seriously if they bring out a product jointly engineered from ground up.
Old 11th March 2022, 20:24   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

2022 Toyota Glanza:

Toyota Glanza, Urban Cruiser facelift to be launched this year-2022toyotaglanzaleakedimage.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 21:14   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
But the Aston Martin Cygnet is the completely wrong example to quote!

It was mainly done by Aston for circumventing the rules (emissions + fuel efficiency) by bringing a relatively greener car into the portfolio of big hearted heavyweights.
Actually thats why I used it, one of the main driving force behind Toyota-Suzuki partnership is Suzuki's need of Hybrids and EVs in their portfolio in the European market, namely A-Cross and Swace, which is similar to the need of Aston Martin back then.

The needs of the consumer and the needs of the producer are complete different, and I understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
They haven't had to face struggles selling which I believe they encountered when the entered the more competitive small car segment with the Etios and mid size Corolla segment.

Even though both Etios and Corolla were great products in their respective fields, I think they were both heavily overpriced. Since this segment is more price elastic than the Innova / Fortuner segment, Toyota failed to make a dent as I believe they like to take a good chunk of profits for every unit sold and with their prolonged and continuous success in the past, they were less competitive in this cheaper segment.

Now with this tie up with Suzuki, I feel it is a half hearted attempt to secure some numbers so their portfolio can be increased and they can get more business both for themselves and their dealers. If they were really serious they would be bringing their Yaris here instead.
More than 1 billion USD

Thats what it takes to develop a new car from ground up today, further more to manufacture it and make it cheap enough to get people to buy it. Thats why car manufacturers are going for rebadging and joint development of vehicles, to reduce the development cost and make the car cheaper for public to buy. At the end of day a companies main duty to sell cars.

Now coming to Etios, I dont think it was overpriced. I have used the car for the last 9 years, and it has run perfectly as it should. No major parts have been changed over the years and no break down. Further I only need to spend 5-7k per year for servicing. To truly get the value of a Toyota car one has to use them for more than 5 years, and most cars tend to have major problems by then. Truthfully until govt completely bans diesel cars I will continue to use it, even if I buy new cars in the future. To make it VFM you have to drive them beyond 10 years or more.

To quote @amalji,

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The Etios and Liva are proper Toyotas with the same durability and quality pedigree of a Toyota. People who buy it do not buy it for its features.
BTW Coming to the proper Yaris, are you ready to drop 15-25 lakh on a hatchback? Do you understand why Toyota haven't launched it in India, and why we got Vios as Yaris?

Last edited by Black_Star : 11th March 2022 at 21:18.
Black_Star is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 23:29   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
+100. This was exactly my thought. The Etios and Liva are proper Toyotas with the same durability and quality pedigree of a Toyota. People who buy it do not buy it for its features.
What is the sort of durability that you see in a Liva compared to what is lacking in a Baleno? Sorry, as much as you don't call Glanza a true Toyota, neither can you call an Etios/Liva. These were massively cost cut barebones models developed just for our market to satisfy only durability and nothing else. A true Toyota IMO is an overengineered car that is built for more than what it would be used for without being too ancient in terms of feature offering or performance. That is the understanding I can derive looking at the global portfolio of Toyota. The Etios was almost ancient in the latter aspects and was built for the cab market. Unless you can prove that Balenos/Glanzas break apart prematurely compared to a Liva, there is no basis in comparing the durability of the two especially when one car is as barebones as it can get such that nothing can fail.

You can't compare a Landcruiser(which according to the discussion is a true Toyota) with an Urban Cruiser for sure, but with the Etios/Liva twins, I would beg to differ.

Last edited by audioholic : 12th March 2022 at 23:30.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks