Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2022, 21:22   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 22:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

If Maruti get's Jimny and if it's a 'hit' then Hyundai should consider getting the Casper here.

Old 12th September 2022, 22:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
If Maruti get's Jimny and if it's a 'hit' then Hyundai should consider getting the Casper here.

https://Youtu.be/zRBkPYMZPvY
Isn't Casper the Ignis in the Maruti World?
ToThePoint is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 22:13   #19
BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post

Right now, I am just waiting to see the Grand Vitara in the Nexa Showroom to check its presence and Test drive if possible.
High probability for me canceling Grand Vitara booking
On a lighter note, please start with the door of the Grand Vitara.

I am on the same boat. Saw the initial spy shots of Scorpio N when researching Jimny. Then launch, fastest finger first … and even delivery might end up happening early next year …. .
IB290 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 23:04   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

A proper 4 seater with 5 doors.

Boot space should be equivalent to the space any B segment hatchback offers.

The 1.5L, 102ps engine should be adequate, no one is going to participate in a drag race or take fast corners with the Jimny.

Should be a great car for city usage and weekend off-road fun drives.

The approach angle and the departure angle looks good, though am not sure about the break-over angle.

Given the added wheelbase and the extra weight, this car should be more sorted on the highway than the 3 door Jimny. Though the 3 door Jimny should be better off the road.

If people can go for cross county drives in cars like Figo/Polo, this car will also be able to cruise comfortably between 90-110 km/hr and munch miles.

The ideal pricing should be Rs 1.5 - 2L cheaper than the Thar petrol.

Bring it on Maruti!

Last edited by Samba : 12th September 2022 at 23:17.
Samba is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 23:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
Isn't Casper the Ignis in the Maruti World?
Ha that reminds me Ignis also has All Grip in Japan and Europe
Black_Star is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 23:48   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

After the recent floods throughout Indian cities, many would consider this. In the gypsy air intake was at the same height as the steering wheel and door opening 20+ inches from the ground on stock tyres, drain holes under the carpet for water to escape quickly.
aim120 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 00:59   #23
BHPian

Nice shots, Thar 5 Door is rumored to be 4300mm in length, will this be longer or the same length. Is there any news/rumor on that.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 07:01   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Nice shots, Thar 5 Door is rumored to be 4300mm in length, will this be longer or the same length. Is there any news/rumor on that.
Jimny is not a vehicle to be compared with the Thar, in terms of dimensions. Offroad ability yes, dimensions - no.

Rumoured length of the 5-door was 3850mm.

The 3-door is just 3395mm whereas the Sierra is 3,480 mm, both much smaller than the Alto K10 which is 3530mm long. The 5-door should have a similar length as a TATA Punch.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th September 2022 at 07:05.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 07:55   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door spied in India ahead of Auto Expo 2023 debut.
All we need is a little hope and modern, affordable 4x4s.
I just hope they don't Tata and remove automatic and 4x4.
vredesbyrd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 08:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
All we need is a little hope and modern, affordable 4x4s.
I just hope they don't Tata and remove automatic and 4x4.
I have my doubts with Maruti Suzuki here. They can do anything. Biggest bummer for me will be non availability of 4x4 and AT together. Atleast they can provide 4x4 AT in top two variants.
If they plan to compete against Mahindra Thar, they need to do it and also price it lower than the Mahindra Thar Petrol. But with the recent pricing by Maruti Suzuki, I fear the prices might be a shocker.

But logically speaking, Jimny 5 door will be a capable offroader even with a longer wheel base but can't compete against the Thar for street presence in terms of stance and size. So, Maruti Suzuki should consider this before finalising the prices.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 13th September 2022 at 08:38.
dr_TJ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 09:04   #27
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
I have my doubts with Maruti Suzuki here. They can do anything. Biggest bummer for me will be non availability of 4x4 and AT together.
I wish manufacturers would stop treating 4x4 enthusiasts as second grade customers. Those idiots at Tata could have sold a 4x4 XTA Hexa or those fools at Ford could have brought over Kuga AWD.

But no, everyone wants fake SUVs with gizmos and phone apps.
Bottom line: Smartphone haath mein achhe lagten hain, road pe nahi...
vredesbyrd is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 10:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Jimny is not a vehicle to be compared with the Thar, in terms of dimensions. Offroad ability yes, dimensions - no.

Rumoured length of the 5-door was 3850mm.

The 3-door is just 3395mm whereas the Sierra is 3,480 mm, both much smaller than the Alto K10 which is 3530mm long. The 5-door should have a similar length as a TATA Punch.
Going by what you have shared, it seems that Maruti-Suzuki wants to save on the tax that is levied on 4 meters and above (length of the car). It this is how they are planning, it may be priced very aggressively (This is my assumption). The only 4WD vehicles that we have, under 20L in India are - Thar & Gurkha. ScorpioN has just crossed that price and hovering above 20L. This is another one , that will soon be added.
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy is 4010mm in length, and yes, with front facing seats, it becomes a proper 5 seater vehicle with good enough boot. I can see some winning points for Jimny already.
swunkjyn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 10:08   #29
BHPian

4 meter tax angle is voided if they are coming with engine above 1.2L, which is widely expected.

But, since the Jimny thread is becoming a fantasy wishlist thread of sorts, let me also add mine to the mix as well: 3 door 3650 cm long EV.
ajayc123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 10:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Going by what you have shared, it seems that Maruti-Suzuki wants to save on the tax that is levied on 4 meters and above (length of the car). It this is how they are planning, it may be priced very aggressively (This is my assumption). The only 4WD vehicles that we have, under 20L in India are - Thar & Gurkha. ScorpioN has just crossed that price and hovering above 20L.

with front facing seats, it becomes a proper 5 seater vehicle with good enough boot. I can see some winning points for Jimny already.
Well, can't say about the aggressive pricing strategy, recent Maruti Suzuki trend is somewhat different. They are going for more profits because they know people will buy there cars anyway.

And its not that Maruti Suzuki or Suzuki alone is designing the Jimny 5 door to be just under 4 meters, actually OG Jimny is super short in length so even after increasing the wheelbase to accommodate 2 more doors, it will be well within 4 meters. So, its not by any planning to get Sub 4meter Tax benefit. Also a 1.5l Petrol engine will negate any benefits being sub 4meter anyway.
Only way for Jimny to go beyond 4 meters is to either be elongated like a Limousine or Force Trax or grow in all dimensions (Length, Height and Width).

But if priced properly, Jimny 5 door will be a good option. But I have genuine fear from Maruti Suzuki because they will surely messup something on the Jimny, be it engine plus transmission options or variants and features or all of the above.
I will be happy if I am proven wrong by MSIL.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 13th September 2022 at 10:15.
dr_TJ is online now   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks