Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2022, 09:53   #151
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Good that the Jimny will have Low ratios, shouldnt it be called 4x4 then instead of AWD which usually do not have low range.

The alloys look good and so are the tyres with good sidewall, ideal for offroading.
bullitt1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 12:21   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Good that the Jimny will have Low ratios, shouldnt it be called 4x4 then instead of AWD which usually do not have low range.

The alloys look good and so are the tyres with good sidewall, ideal for offroading.
You are correct. Any AWD car with low range and locking differentials is a proper 4x4.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 13:49   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Maybe I am missing something here, but looking at recent replies from members on Jimny being tested in Ladakh region has raised a lot of questions in my head. I am not bashing Suzuki / Maruti here, just trying to wrap my head around what is so great about Jimny making it to the mountains?
A humble Nano did it, a Nexon EV has done it, Kwid AMT has done it, Alto is the king of various other mountains in India ( Google or YouTube any of these cars and you will know)
What's so enticing about Jimny being able to to make it up there? Isn't that something expected from any car sold in India? Any car should be able to take me to the mountains?
There is nothing to be excited about that it reaches the Leh. All manufacturers test the vehicles at different areas / climates / seasons / terrains / etc.

They need to get data how the rarer air affects the vehicle and make changes to the tuning or whatever. It's normal practice to test in various regions.

I "assume" the excitement is just the spotting which kind of makes the fact that the launch is imminent.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 14:36   #154
BANNED

Right - most Ladhak taxi models are the soft-roader SUVs like Xylo, Aria,Innova etc and they perform very well at the highest mountain passes, clocking >1lac kms on these roads - the only troublesome areas being caught in snowfall/icy roads or waterfall crossings before the mountain passes are closed off-season, or using HT tyres instead of AT leading to increased probability of punctures and tyre damage on the rocky roads.

I noticed these modern engines performed way better than my +20yr old 1990s designed Suzuki G13BB stock Gypsy engine, easily racing past me on the highest mountain passes above 5000mtrs with a load of 4-6pax. It is only those tricky crossings that need 4x4 especially if you are a solo tripper without any people around to give your car a helpful push from behind when stuck. The new K15C should do way better in these altitudes, and testing in this terrain with sensors to capture detailed performance data and tweak the fuel-air mix ratios is (and should be) the industry norm.

Last edited by Ragul : 6th October 2022 at 14:39.
Ragul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 18:08   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I think the 5 door is ridiculous. I have been waiting for the 3 door for years and determined to buy one as soon as it arrives, if ever, but i wouldn't take the 5 door even at half price.
Same here. If they launch 3-door, I will book it without a test drive; I don't know why they have this 3-door phobia, all they have to look is the success of Thar and how the limited editions of Zen (Carbon and Steel) were gobbled by Indians.
casnov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 22:40   #156

Saw two Jimny (five door version) heading back from their Ladakh testing. Spotted them near Patlikuhl.
While embarking on my Dussehra holidays, i was wondering if I would be able to spot the Jimny and on my third day of holidays, i have been blessed with the Jimny sighting.
The proportions look fine. I was sceptical initially of the five door version, but now it doesn't look awkward.
chheringpal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 11:29   #157
BHPian

The design of 5-door Jimny is growing on me and IMO it is a butch looking vehicle as offroaders/Suvs/Jeeps should be.
It is a complete package with 5 door practicality and offroader swag.
meetbhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 18:20   #158
BHPian

I am getting a feeling that Maruti is going to call this Gypsy in India. And this is making me more excited. Hopefully they'll not get greedy with the price.
TorqueSteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 18:46   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueSteer View Post
I am getting a feeling that Maruti is going to call this Gypsy in India. And this is making me more excited. Hopefully they'll not get greedy with the price.
I too am of the notion that Suzuki will name the Jimny 5 door as the Gypsy similar to what Tata did with the Safari Nameplate . Gypsy has a huge recall all over India while no one knows Jimny .
drift2race is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 19:22   #160
BHPian

We should upload more and more updates and sightings of Jimny 5 door here.

This latest YouTube video seems to be from Gurgaon, NH8:

The dimensions seem to be like a healthy and tall sub-4 meter hatchback.

Hope to see similar Jimny undergoing testing soon. Shall update if my dashcam captures any sighting of Jimny.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 10:11   #161
BHPian

Road presence wise swift is looking broader than jimny/gypsy. I feel its stance will be similar to wagon-r and ignis. I wish Maruti could have made it little bit more wider.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-screenshot_202210110356252.png  

iamnvn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 12:00   #162
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki shall consider occupants height as 6'3" at least and upto 100 kg bulky body shape while designing the driver and co-passenger's seats and the rear seat minimum legroom. Driver and co-passenger's knees should not rub against any console structure or surface or corners like WagonR or the new Grand Vitara. And the seat height shall be good, at least upto the shoulder level. The seat height of new Grand Vitara is 2 inches below shoulder line. It feels very cheap and below standard in a near 2 million or 2 million+ INR SUVs (the new Grand Vitara).

No problem if Maruti Suzuki target the premium price segment. But give us the look and feel that commensurate the asking price premium. We are not here (in market) to pay for the fat royalty to Japan.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 13:25   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Jimny again!

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-2.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 21:43   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnvn View Post
Road presence wise swift is looking broader than jimny/gypsy. I feel its stance will be similar to wagon-r and ignis. I wish Maruti could have made it little bit more wider.
"Road Presence" is a term I can never understand. Why does every cars and SUVs needs to have a road presence? What kind of pissing contest are we doing that every car needs to bigger and broader than its rivals?

What happened to the days of small cars, that gets the job done no matter what is it, without caring about how it looks like and what features it provides?

Insearch of road presence, luxury and features we are losing something vital.
Black_Star is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 01:06   #165
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Maruti Suzuki shall consider occupants height as 6'3" at least and upto 100 kg bulky body shape while designing the driver and co-passenger's seats and the rear seat minimum legroom. Driver and co-passenger's knees should not rub against any console structure or surface or corners like WagonR or the new Grand Vitara. And the seat height shall be good, at least upto the shoulder level.
Glad to hear that the Supreme Court has taken Suo-Moto cognisance on the issue of Maruti leaving its Jimny fanboys high and dry over decades - this constitutes a gross human rights violation unpardonable in a democracy that claims to be following the principles of a free-market economy.

In other news overexcited fanboys reported seeing A Jimny test-mule in Kenya while on a jungle safari. Officials later debunked the claim stating it was actually a Zebra in the wild plains foraging in its own habitat…

Last edited by Ragul : 12th October 2022 at 01:08.
Ragul is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks