Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2022, 00:08   #196
BANNED

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacso View Post
Stock Jimny all around the world, goes out of the Factory With a set of bridgestone dueler H/T 195/80 R15, the new 5 door tires should come in the same size
HT tyres for an off-road legend? What goes into the decision making behind choice of stock tyres to supply from showroom? Wait I think I know it - Sales and Marketing geniuses?

Engineering dept: “but… but…”
Marketing Dept: “OBECTION OVERRULED!”
Case closed!

Last edited by Ragul : 23rd October 2022 at 00:10.
Old 23rd October 2022, 01:21   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
HT tyres for an off-road legend? What goes into the decision making behind choice of stock tyres to supply from showroom? Wait I think I know it - Sales and Marketing geniuses?

Case closed!
Its not like Suzuki doesn't provide off-road tires straight from factory. Special editions like Suzuki Jimny Sierra 4Sport has got Pirelli MTR off-road tyres.

Not every off-road legend that comes out of factory goes out on the mud tracks, even Suzuki knows it. On paved roads, compared to AT tires, HT tires will give longer tread-life, better handling, and shorter braking distances, in both dry and wet conditions.

Cost is the biggest deterrent for this, not everyone is willing to pay a premium for more expensive tires, when normal tires does the job just fine. Heck, normal HT tires work pretty good even on ice as long as the vehicle has 4wd.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-screenshot-20221023-011059-suzuki.png

Last edited by Black_Star : 23rd October 2022 at 01:30.
Black_Star is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 23:11   #198
BHPian

Quote:

Case closed!
As far as i know, apart from special off-road editions such as Brazilian "4work" and "4sport" of Jimny 3, all Samurai, Jimny 3 and Jimny 4 come from the Factory With H/T tires, you just have to see the brochures to see them.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-suzuki-samurai-brochure-1994-nl.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-81xk6mpouql._ac_sl1500_.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-s0modelesuzukijimny.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-2020jimnyvitarac1200x730.jpg

And here you got the Brazilian one.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-16231196202_7a1598ac45_o.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-658_jimny_01.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd October 2022 at 23:33. Reason: Typos fixed.
wacso is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 07:41   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Case closed!

Standard Tyre choices, optional tyre choices and wheel/tyre upsizing limits are carefully considered and package protected in the design phase. Usually the drivers of tyre choices are:

-Vehicles' performance envelope, suspension geometry and braking targets.

- Regulations & winter tyre requirements ( For example from mid November to March of every year Germany & Austria mandates winter tyre and/or M&S all weather pattern). Pass-By noise regulations are also considered at this juncture.

-The particular vehicle's segment and majority of target customers' usage pattern. Snow chain usage etc are carefully considered here, trade-off decided and wheel wells and tyre sizes optimised to prevent clashes.

- Marketing inputs. Also inputs from Sourcing & Costing department. Usually marketing, dabbles in the area of wheel rim aesthetics alongwith styling team.

All these are shared with the tyre supplier. OEM will try to settle as much as possible for an "off - the - shelf" available tyre size. And negotiate with supplier on per piece cost.
Bespoke tyre sizes are very rare - maybe for ultra exclusive, niche/high performance vehicles, because the tyre supplier will charge the OEM the mould cost as well, which can run into millions of dollars.
arjab is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 14:23   #200
BHPian

Some more visuals of the Jimny coming from Ladakh. They seem to have camped there :-)

mpant05 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 16:54   #201
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacso View Post
As far as i know, apart from special off-road editions such as Brazilian "4work" and "4sport" of Jimny 3, all Samurai, Jimny 3 and Jimny 4 come from the Factory With H/T tires, you just have to see the brochures to see them.
If HT tyres are always cheaper than AT then it’s a no-brainier that cost is the driving factor above all else.

PS: The flat hard top is way better looking than anything I’ve seen … too bad there was no aftermarket hardtop in that design here in India.
Old 26th October 2022, 13:09   #202
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-sg.jpg
While enjoying my Drive during my latest visit to Thailand, See what caught my eye on the way to Rayong from Bangkok.

WOW My Heart Skipped a beat and we took the big loop back to stop over for a pic.

pic to banta hai bhai..!!
rajchetan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 19:47   #203
BHPian

Quote:
If HT tyres are always cheaper than AT then it’s a no-brainier that cost is the driving factor above all else.

PS: The flat hard top is way better looking than anything I’ve seen … too bad there was no aftermarket hardtop in that design here in India.
In case of the Gypsy, the floor raised quite a bit behind the front seats, hence flat hard top or soft top was not possible as that could not provide sufficient headroom for the rear seats.

The Jimny may have continued the floor level of the front till the rear seats, with a tunnel for the propeller shaft.

Regards,
Anwesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 11:56   #204
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwesh View Post
In case of the Gypsy, the floor raised quite a bit behind the front seats, hence flat hard top or soft top was not possible as that could not provide sufficient headroom for the rear seats.

The Jimny may have continued the floor level of the front till the rear seats, with a tunnel for the propeller shaft.

Regards,
I doubt if anything about the transfer case and propellor shaft was re-engineered for the Gypsy to raise the floor height. In any case a flat top is perfect for those that use their Gypsy as a two seater with the rear Ben h seats removed (like I do).

Meanwhile I am seriously considering taking up knitting as a hobby to distract myself from the endless wait for the Jimny to arrive.
Ragul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 05:24   #205
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt if anything about the transfer case and propellor shaft was re-engineered for the Gypsy to raise the floor height. In any case a flat top is perfect for those that use their Gypsy as a two seater with the rear Ben h seats removed (like I do).
No re engineering was done to the Gypsy with reference to the floor height. It stepped up behind the driver's seat. That was the original design. It is the Jimny that may have a redesigned floor.

Regards,
Old 28th October 2022, 05:48   #206
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

Meanwhile I am seriously considering taking up knitting as a hobby to distract myself from the endless wait for the Jimny to arrive.
Haha. I am also spending time playing with my Gypsy and peering at my Scale models, waiting like many here, to see this 5 door Jimny in the metal! But I am so fond of my Gypsy that I would find it very hard to part with it however much the new Jimny tugs at the heart.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-50257655cbe8435fbcb6055f0b464051.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-73620e05ebaa42508b7e1ef4f9a6dcd7.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 09:37   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

As known, Suzuki Jimny will be showcased at the Auto expo, but production and sale of the SUV ('s) will be in FY24.

Sale of Jimny (Gypsy ?) to be expected in the second half of 2023, along with YTB (Baleno based CUV).

Quote:
The company has promised to showcase sports utility vehicles (SUV) at the upcoming India Auto Expo to be held in mid-January. These SUVs will go into production in FY24.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th October 2022 at 09:40.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 11:14   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
production and sale of the SUV ('s) will be in FY24.
Link
Thank you. Any view on why they wouldn’t sell the 3 door one in the meanwhile? Service wise it might not be very different from 5 door.

Lot more Thar and Scorpio N’s will get sold by Q2 FY24.
Old 30th October 2022, 11:32   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
As known, Suzuki Jimny will be showcased at the Auto expo, but production and sale of the SUV ('s) will be in FY24.

Sale of Jimny (Gypsy ?) to be expected in the second half of 2023, along with YTB (Baleno based CUV).

Link
My reliable sources tell me that production and sale of 5 Door Jimny will be taking place in H1 2023 CY along with the Baleno Cross.
Carma2017 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 11:36   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
Thank you. Any view on why they wouldn’t sell the 3 door one in the meanwhile? Service wise it might not be very different from 5 door.
Common sense would dictate selling the 3-Door in Parallel. 90% of the service procedure and the parts will be the same. As you correctly pointed out the Thar despite being impractical sells in good numbers. There are two possible explanations for this besides the stupidity of Maruthi.

1) The rear seats of the Jimney are practically child seats, so they maybe foul of some silly ARAI rule that requires minimum seat dimensions or the minimum number of seats to classify as a passenger vehicle etc.

2) Given that they would have spent millions developing the 5-Door, they don't want the 3-Door to cannibalize the sales of the 5-Door so they can recover the development costs of the 5-Door faster.

But, my gut feel is that at some point, they will offer the 3-Door in India.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks