Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2022, 11:37   #256
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Why will Maruti price it under Thar? We can make any wishes, but I don't think Maruti can produce Gypsy/ Jimny in a new plant at such low costs.

If Maruti is yet to launch, it means their research says there is a lack of acceptability for two-door cars in the mass market. They missed the 2-door Thar space but will come out ahead of the 5-door Thar. They will surely like to milk the 4/5-door SUV segment.

I will be surprised if the prices start below Rs 15 Lac Ex-showroom.

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th December 2022 at 11:41.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 13:07   #257
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

This is music to my ears! Finally, an off roader that family will approve (other than 5-door Thar, that is)!
OT: I just hope they don't Tata it and keep All Grip version as MT only
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 13:21   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
How difficult / feasible is it for Maruti to plonk the 100+ horses 1.0 Boosterjet / 90+ horses 1.2 Dualjet engine under Jimny's hood and price it super aggressively cashing in on the sub-4m vehicle classification rule(a joke!).

Apologies if I have missed the discussion on the topic.
If they don't do it for their superhit Brezza, very low chance of being done for a newcomer. This letting go of better tax structure because of higher engine capacity must be hard for Maruti too.
Old 4th December 2022, 13:24   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5d & Mahindra Thar spied testing together in HP, high altitude testing continues!

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-3.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-capture.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 16:36   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5d & Mahindra Thar spied testing together in HP, high altitude testing continues!
Someone on YouTube found that the Thar is registered in the name of MSIL.

Too many speculations regarding the variants and cost for the 5 door variant Jimny.

There could be base model of just RWD MT which may cost 12.99 Lakhs ex-showroom. Then one RWD+AT with fully loaded features; another variant of barebone 4x4 for 15.5-16 Lakhs ex-showroom and fully loaded 4x4 touching 18 Lakhs ex-showroom. 4x4+AT is distant dream or almost 19.5 Lakhs ex-showroom.

Last edited by RijuC : 4th December 2022 at 16:39.
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 17:44   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
How difficult / feasible is it for Maruti to plonk the 100+ horses 1.0 Boosterjet / 90+ horses 1.2 Dualjet engine under Jimny's hood and price it super aggressively cashing in on the sub-4m vehicle classification rule(a joke!).

Apologies if I have missed the discussion on the topic.
Most of the turbo boosted engines are good for high speed and generally have low torque at lower RPM's. In a 4x4 what you need most is the low end torque not high HP at highway speeds. Hence the turbo boosted engines are not desirable for Jimny.

In general larger the capacity of the engine, more the torque at low end, unless the engine has been specifically tuned for high speed, where higher RPM will give higher BHP.
Aroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 18:49   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Most of the turbo boosted engines are good for high speed and generally have low torque at lower RPM's. In a 4x4 what you need most is the low end torque not high HP at highway speeds. Hence the turbo boosted engines are not desirable for Jimny.

In general larger the capacity of the engine, more the torque at low end, unless the engine has been specifically tuned for high speed, where higher RPM will give higher BHP.
We are well past those days.

Turbo charging with Direct injection - Turbo GDi as otherwise called is fantastic, it will pull effortlessly from idle with diesel like performance.
Kosfactor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 19:46   #263
BHPian

Jimny should be K15B and not K15C. If they plonk K15C, they might tune it differently than Brezza or Vitara as this is BoF with added weight. Comparison to Thar might not be proper as Thar has brutal engines but again hope 5 door Thar length is not extended as any overhang will reduce off road capability.
VRSriram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 19:55   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidIqbalShaik View Post
Locking front and rear differentials?

If Jimny does come with all these things, like the leaks are suggesting, I’m immediately selling my Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT GTX Plus and getting the Jimny. Fingers crossed.
Dont do it, Jimny is not that of a plush or refined as compared to the 1.5 diesel AT Kia. It is a body on frame bouncy little car. Wind affects it a lot.
Keneida is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 20:07   #265
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
We are well past those days.

Turbo charging with Direct injection - Turbo GDi as otherwise called is fantastic, it will pull effortlessly from idle with diesel like performance.
I agree with this statement as the owner of a petrol AT Thar which I have used quite extensively in a variety of situations both on and off road. Excellent low end torque and strong engine with superb and creamy power delivery.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 23:29   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keneida View Post
Dont do it, Jimny is not that of a plush or refined as compared to the 1.5 diesel AT Kia. It is a body on frame bouncy little car. Wind affects it a lot.
1. I Wanted A Car To Have These Things:

Well, as I said in my post, I always wanted to buy a vehicle that has 5 doors, ladder frame chassis, a 4-cylinder engine mounted in a longitudinal layout, a 4WD system with a transfer case, solid front and rear axles, mechanical differential lockers on both the axles, and ESP. That’s because I want a vehicle that I can take off-road. But that’s a topic for another time.

2. I Couldn't Get A Car That I Wanted Within My Budget Six Months Ago:

However, when I was planning to buy a vehicle almost six months ago, my budget was ₹16,00,000, and there were no vehicles in that budget that even came close to offering the things that I wanted. I think the most affordable vehicle to fulfil my needs was the Jeep Wrangler, which costs a fortune. So, the car I wanted was like a dream that would never come true.

I knew that all my options were hatchbacks, sedans, or compact SUVs with monocoque chassis, FWD layout, and modern-day features. Basically, these cars are what we can call mainstream cars, and it was clear that I had to buy one of these. Many people, when buying a mainstream car, prioritise comfort and convenience features (which isn’t a bad thing at all, I’m just mentioning the fact). But my priorities were slightly different from that of those people.

If I was buying a mainstream car, I at least wanted it to have a 4-cylinder engine, an automatic gearbox that is either a torque converter or dual-clutch unit, and ESP. The Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT HTX, at around ₹13,50,000, was the most affordable car to fulfil those needs, which was also within my budget. Since I was anyhow buying a mainstream car, I thought “why not spend a little extra and get some comfort and convenience features too?” So, since I had a little more budget, I spent that and got the GTX Plus variant. I couldn’t have gotten a better car (or any other car) within my budget that fulfilled my needs.

3. I Chose The Kia Sonet As It Was The Best Option I Had At The Time:

Anyway, what I’m trying to say is that I got the Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT GTX Plus, which is a very comfortable and plush car, because that was the best option I had at that time, and not because I wanted a plush car. If I had the option to get a rugged off-road vehicle instead, like the 5-door Jimny, for the same price, I would’ve opted for that instead of the Kia Sonet. I prefer a rugged off-road vehicle over a plush vehicle.

4. Jimny Isn't As Good As Sonet In Terms Of Comfort And Convenience But It Is Way Better At Off-Roading:

Yes, compared to the Sonet, the Jimny won’t be as stable on highways at high speeds, it won’t accelerate as fast, it won’t have comparable NVH levels, it won’t have as many comfort and convenience-related features, and it might feel a little rougher overall than the Sonet. But all of that is fine with me because Jimny would be offering me the things that I always wanted (the things that I mentioned in the first paragraph). I would be able to go off-road with Jimny, and that would mean a lot to me.

But yes, I do get your point, and thanks for your input. Believe me, some members of my family, including my father, are on the same page as you. They think that Sonet would be a better car for the family overall. But the heart wants what it wants, right? I just hope that the Jimny has enough space in the backseat for my parents. I’m okay even if there’s very little boot space in it because I could keep the luggage on the roof rack if needed.

5. 5-Door Jimny Could Be The Car That I Always Wanted:

As long as the 5-door Jimny comes with the same mechanical specs as the 3-door Jimny and enough space in the backseat for two adults, I don't see a reason why I shouldn't buy it. After all, I would be getting the car that I always wanted. But things could also take a turn for worse. Who knows. Let’s see. Once again, thanks for your input.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 14:24   #267
BHPian

Not to quell the excitement in the thread, but came across this piece of news today which says that Jimny will miss out on low gear ratio.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/5-door-maruti...onth-in-india/
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-j.png  

Old 5th December 2022, 17:09   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Not to quell the excitement in the thread, but came across this piece of news today which says that Jimny will miss out on low gear ratio.

They know nothing. Some so call news reported are confused with the word AWD. Jimny will come with part time 4WD option known as AllGrip Pro.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 5th December 2022 at 17:11.
purohitanuj is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 17:12   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post

Seems like a poorly written clickbait article.

The Allgrip Pro system itself is 4x4 with low ratio. Why would they bother giving it a 4x4 system without low ratio?
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 18:17   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Seems like a poorly written clickbait article.

The Allgrip Pro system itself is 4x4 with low ratio. Why would they bother giving it a 4x4 system without low ratio?
Manufacturers have never shied away from false advertising. Duster, Compass and Kodiaq all advertised as 4wd/4x4 do not have low ratios. Duster was in another league, with AWD sticker and 4wd badge.

Feature deletions is also a common practice for Indian models. Anyways, i seriously hope that this is a blunder of an article and as mentioned in previous posts, we do get the relevant 4wd hardware.
bullitt1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks