Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2022, 11:45   #361
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by chheringpal View Post
As per my brother-in-law, Maruti Jimny commercial will be shot in Lahaul.
Looks like you BIL is right as Jimny has been caught without camo in Lahaul.

If this is indeed a shootout for the TV commercial, then guys, can we say that the launch is around the corner?

Last edited by aah78 : 20th December 2022 at 20:37. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Sherlocked is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 13:20   #362

What is the time gap between a car ad shoot and the commercial launch of the car?
Any Teambhpians can share some light, as this could give us some idea of the launch timelines.
Old 20th December 2022, 13:27   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
---
If this is indeed a shootout for the TV commercial, then guys, can we say that the launch is around the corner?
It is indeed very important for Suzuki as well as Maruti as the 5 door Jimny will be officially unveiled at the Tokyo Auto Salon (Jan 14- 16th) as well as the Auto Expo (Jan 13th -18th).

Jimny 5d is already shipped to Japan for display and further testing.

Serial production trials to be in ~ April, media drive in the monsoon period and its global launch (pricing and all) will be sometime around Aug-23/ festive season.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th December 2022 at 13:48.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 14:01   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Most Torque Converter AT's are solid and bullet proof...

... I am talking about the ages it takes to get to 90 not going beyond 90kmph. The performance in the manual is much better. If Suzuki does some magic and incorporates the 6-Speed TC AT, then it will be much better as you will have enough gears to be in relatively optimum power band.

For me personally, I am used to driving cars with good balance of torque and bhp and I am only interested in automatic. That's why I don't see myself get a Jimney unless they offer a better power train.
From Suzuki I'd trust the basic robustness of drivetrain components, but coming from a land where for decades the overwhelming majority of vehicles are automatics, can say that there have been and continue to be very many failure-prone designs. And ALL of them are expensive to deal with if/when they start causing problems.

I would agree that automatics mated to small-dispacement, low-output engines have not often been satisfying from a performance standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
In places where all of the driving is going to be on highways this may work but in our sort of traffic and on slower roads, a lot more drive train calibration is needed, very well tuned shift points etc that are not easy to be done aftermarket, nearly impossible.

It will be very difficult to sell a non-highway capable offroad vehicle, just ask Force Motors or even Maruti themselves - Gypsy for instance. The success of Thar is how it was able to mix both highway and offroad performance in a ratio that suited most drivers.
I think we need to reserve judgment till the actual production vehicle can be examined/ tested. We have far too many people out there who base judgments on assumptions, (sometimes limited) particular experiences, etc.

Having just covered over 3,500kms on our NH's and toll expressways across the north, can say that a comfortable 100kmph cruise speed is going to be enough for almost every normal motorist. And any decent 1.5L petrol vehicle can manage a comfortable 100kmph. As for acceleration, much will depend upon curb weight, gear ratio choices, particular ECU mapping etc, about which we know nothing as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
The problem with 4-speed AT isn’t about speed but more about the jerks that you experience while accelerating. I used to have a 4-speed AT fitted Ford Mondeo (not in India) that I drove around for 1.1/2 years and then I sold for various niggles, one of them being the jerks that you experience while doing a hard acceleration on a highway. But of course, Jimny isn’t targeted at highway driving so if you’re primary driving is terrain/ off road, then 4-speed AT is okay but if you’re looking at a vehicle that’s primarily going to be driven on roads, then this vehicle isn’t going to put a smile on your face.
First, a niggle is a niggle, and secondly, you can't compared apples and oranges. Automatics on various forms have been in volume production since the late 1950's, some have been bad, some good, some shifted hard, some silky smooth, and very often the same box can be tuned (hydraulically or electronically) for the kinds of shifts the target customer ofna particular vehicle is likely to want. Not to mention all the user-controlled mode-driven variants. It is not accurate to make the kinds of statements / assumptions as above.

Btw some of the best highway cruisers in history had 4-speed automatics. Old-school torque-convertor, non-electronic to boot. I've done long highway drives in such cars, there are no jerks and they are wonderful.

Might add that one of the most successful production automatic gearboxes in history was GM's Powerglide. It was favored for years in drag-racing - suited to massive acceleration up to at least 170-180kmph trap speed with low (4.11:1, etc) final drive gears... and btw these were only TWO SPEED Automatics!!!

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 20th December 2022 at 14:08.
ringoism is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 19:06   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chheringpal View Post
So here's the pic of 5 door Jimny in Lahaul. Someone has posted it in their Insta reel. Looks ok, not as good as the 3 door version.
Wow! I'm in love. Wouldn't change a thing about it apart from maybe be placing a old Gypsy King tyre cover on the rear for the nostalgia. Looks perfect.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th December 2022 at 20:37. Reason: Typo fixed.
meetbhav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 09:45   #366
BHPian

Name:  20221219111449_JIMNY5_ACI1.jfif.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  182.9 KB

Hope they launch a 2-tone version to visually break the bulk.
sachinayak is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 10:18   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
I was thinking on the same lines. If they don't launch it that way, it will be a simple job to wrap that area in matte/glossy black vinyl sheet.
Old 21st December 2022, 10:31   #368

Looks brilliant. Hoping that maruti will launch it with the Gypsy name.

Where I'm currently posted at, there are so many army Gypsys roaming around all the time. It just makes me want to own it more.

The three door version would have not made any sense here probably.

Looking forward to the pricing.

I have my fingers crossed as in my opinion maruti has truly failed in pricing the grand vitara all grip version. That sort of pricing really does scare me.

If priced alight, will be my second maruti in the garage.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st December 2022 at 10:32. Reason: spacing
dc9836 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 11:38   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
This inspired me to try two other sticker mods.

Sorry everyone, excuse the crude MS Paint work.

Name:  jimny.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  jimny1.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  103.4 KB
DicKy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 11:58   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
This inspired me to try two other sticker mods.

Sorry everyone, excuse the crude MS Paint work.

Attachment 2392642

Attachment 2392643
The first one looks good, like a mini Gurkha from the side view, with a Panoramic Side Window. Personally, the second one doesn't appeal much to me.
AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 13:49   #371
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallipolivandi View Post
How certain are we that the Jimny is coming to the Indian market at all?
yes. Jimny will come to the Indian market. I am working on this vehicle from a supplier end. They will showcase it at the auto expo. Already proto-build is underway and expect to launch by end of Q1 or early Q2.
satish.gawai is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 14:53   #372

Looking at these pictures, it's almost sure that MSIL will debut JIMNY in 2023.

I would welcome a low end model of JIMNY along with regular 4X4 versions, especially for those who are not an off-road type (or) go off-road very oftenly. For a company like MSIL who clearly know the pulse of Indian people, i think that would be on the cards. With JIMNY competing THAR, we are sure to see more number of buyers in future
Old 21st December 2022, 15:05   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny, info from Japanese media.

- Unveil will be on 13th Jan'23 (coinciding with Auto Expo and Tokyo auto salon)

- Jimny 5 d will be built in India and Japan

- The wheelbase of the Jimny Sierra 3-door will be extended by 300mm to 2550mm, and the overall length will be 3850×1645×1730mm. The 300mm extension will be used for the rear seat space.

-The newly designed doors in the second row skillfully match the Jimny's boxy style and large fenders, while the thicker pillars and smaller rear quarter windows are the hallmarks of the Jimny Sierra 5-door.

- Powertrain of the 5d will differ for India and Japan.

India will get the 1.5-liter K15B with a 4-speed AT and 5-speed manual transmission, and Suzuki's Allgripe Pro 4WD is standard equipment for 4WD.

For Japan: Jimny Sierra 5-door with Japan specifications is moving in the direction of becoming a 1.5L strong hybrid. This engine is a K15C inline 4-cylinder 1.5L, NA dual-jet engine that produces 101ps/13.5kgm and motor 33.4ps/6.1kgm

- Maruti Suzuki India's Gurgaon plant in the first quarter of 2023 and will be launched in the Indian market in mid-2023.

- Production of the Jimny Sierra 5-door with Japan specifications will naturally be at the Shizuoka Kosai plant instead of the Gurgaon plant in India, but since the production of the Jimny 3-door & Jimny Sierra, which has been delayed, will be prioritized, it is likely to be announced and released in the fall of 2023 at the earliest, or in the spring of 2024 at the latest.

-The price is expected to be about 2.3 million yen, which is about 300,000 yen higher than the Sierra 3-door. (~ INR 14.5 lakhs, ~INR 1.9 lakhs higher than the 3d variant)

--Jimny Sierra 5-door expected specs
- length× width× height: 3850×1645×1730mm, wheelbase: 2550mm
- vehicle weight: 1150kg
- engine: 1.5L, inline 4 + motor
- Engine maximum output / maximum torque: 101ps / 13.5kgm / maximum motor output / maximum torque: 33.4ps / 6.1kgm

For Japan:
- Transmission: 6AGS
- Drive system: 4WD
- Estimated price: 2.3 million yen
- Expected appearance date: Fall 2023

Closest rendering of the 5d was from Best Car Mag, Japan:
Quote:
the size of the rectangular rear quarter window behind the rear door was almost the same as the CG illustration produced by Best Car. However, the window side window of the rear door was divided into two parts (2: 1), and the color of the roof was the same color as the body.
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-capture.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st December 2022 at 15:08.
volkman10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 19:59   #374
BHPian

Will they launch both the 3-door & 5-door versions in India initially or in phases? Any news so far?
Old 21st December 2022, 20:30   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
For Japan: Jimny Sierra 5-door with Japan specifications is moving in the direction of becoming a 1.5L strong hybrid. This engine is a K15C inline 4-cylinder 1.5L, NA dual-jet engine that produces 101ps/13.5kgm and motor 33.4ps/6.1kgm

For Japan:
- Transmission: 6AGS
- Drive system: 4WD
I would actually prefer the K15C hybrid with the 6AGS (for the lack of a 6TCAT) in lieu of the K15B with 5MT/4AT. My reasoning is the strong hybrid will have good low end response and torque due to motor assist which is good for low speed off road conditions. Similarly during descent regen can save the brakes and the energy harvested and stored in the battery. Makes sense for a small offroader on the trails. Jimny is kind of vehicle where low to mid is more important than mid to top so even the K15C+mild hybrid would not be a bad combination. I hope Maruti would consider this option when they launch the Swift strong hybrid et al.

I never thought I would say this but for the first time I would actually prefer an AGS over the medieval 4AT. One of my main grouse with the AMT/AGS was its roll back, with the new AGS they have taken care of that with hill hold. So if Maruti can do a 5AGS it won't be such a bad option at all over the 4TCAT. The latest Swift AGS with the hill hold was actually good when I driven it. It would also be good if Maruti can come with 4 variants starting from Sigma for people who needs a basic (but capable) 4x4 with less frills and features at a lower cost.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks