Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2022, 20:33   #406
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post

It's not 1965 now, but still nothing wrong with an exciting, stylish, simple, well-built and relatively cheap car.

-Eric

Thank you Sir for your always excellent perspective. I am 100% with you as a Proud present day 2014 Bone Stock Gypsy owner. I love that vehicle to bits. I also acquired it exactly one year ago (purchadsed used, with 17671kms on the clock) by paying a pretty high price. I have since put 4000kms on the clock myself and have loved every drive in it. There is really NOTHING quite like a Gypsy.

Whenever this new Jimny comes, I will most probably book it. And replace my Dad’s Toyota Glanza with it.
Provided of course it comes with an AT box.

But I will also keep my Gypsy until the Lords and Sirs in Government, allow us to drive such vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-3270a38964d34d1a9b961bd4998d1791.jpeg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st December 2022 at 09:39. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
shankar.balan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 08:00   #407
BHPian

Quote:
"To each his own" is absolutely right, I'm not the one telling anyone what to buy or what features they should be willing to pay for!

I'm 100% for choice and freedom - buy what you want and can afford - but why insist on taking my own choice away, just because you personally in 20 years never turned off your A/C?
My post(#394 (Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India)) was solely about Maruti's product planning / pricing strategy and nothing else. Nowhere was I talking about my personal preference or anyone else's. Since you quoted my post 'out of the blue' and put down your perspective on driving 3k+ kms with AC turned off, I just presented mine(post#402), which I believe each one of us on the forum are entitled to. BTW, in case you have missed it, this is what TBHP 'OFFICIAL review' had to say about 2022 Alto K10-

Quote:
Maruti has launched the Alto K10 in 4 variants – STD(O), LXi, VXi, and VXi+. Prices start from Rs. 3.99 lakh for the base STD(O) variant, but that variant is mainly for advertisement purposes. This base variant does not even get air-conditioning, power steering or body-coloured bumpers - all considered bare essentials in 2022!
Link (2022 Maruti Alto K10 Review)

This is the MARUTI Jimny thread and I don't think it warrants a discussion on what I or anyone else can 'afford' or should buy. Period.
Thanks for understanding.

Quote:
It's not 1965 now, but still nothing wrong with an exciting, stylish, simple, well-built and relatively cheap car.
Absolutely, why not!

On-topic.
If priced right, the Jimny has the potential to impact Bolero's sales numbers to an extent. Not only that, even C-SUVs / crossovers in the INR 10-15 lakh price range could feel the heat.

P.S- I happen to own a 1968 Jeep, and I can safely say that I know a thing or two about the practicality / feasibility of a barebones UV.

P.P.S- I should also mention that the Jeep has been with us since 1968 and I literally grew up driving this.

Last edited by Emvi : 31st December 2022 at 08:14.
Emvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 09:08   #408
BHPian

Quote:

But absolutely, if "the enthusiasts" sitting down in the metros with fat salaries are convincing automakers through forums such as this one that even a "base variant" must have all this stuff, then yes, many who till now have been buying the simple cars they want really WILL be *forced* to pay more, for features they don't need - because there is literally no variant which omits the things they don't want.
Is there anything wrong with the thought process of these "enthusiasts"? They expect what they want while they pay for it! The "need" here is purely individual preference.

BS 6 killed many utilitarian cars. And those are selling in the used car market for a very high price. Basic demand and supply, isn't it?

And, I don't think car makers will release a version of hills, another for planes and another one for costal region. They would chose feature set based on their market research. There is always a small percentage of userbase who will never get 'only' features they want. Only option for this userbase is to select a variant that is nearest to their needs.

With the rant above, I want to conclude that, if Jimny comes with price tag below 15L and with the feature set of AC, PS, 4 WD and an AT box (will be happy if 4 speed TC AT ), will replace my Alto K10 AMT with that!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st December 2022 at 09:38. Reason: Typo.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 09:40   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
GMC Typhoon notwithstanding (look up the latter - I took one for a mad and allegedly work-related test drive once).
Terribly offtopic.

Am I green with envy and how!!!

Not the Typhoon, but its sibling the GMC Syclone. Had a poster of it when I was really small (3-4 yrs old), and once saw it launching from a stoplight in downtown Riyadh. As a kid believed it was some run of the mill Toyota/Nissan pickup that people liked to modify and slap the GMC badges on. (GMC was big truck company for me and only Japs made small pickups)

Decades later, during one of my mid night cycling jaunts in Qatar, happened to see a Syclone gathering dust in a rich man's garage. Read up on it, and realised what a legend it was. So smitten by it, I am even day dreaming of a visual homage by modifying the space cab Isuzu D'max launched in india in 2014.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 13:11   #410

Having read the entire thread in one go (lol), I observed that there seems to be a lot of contention on engine and transmission options and a direct comparison to the Mahindra Thar. Some observations/rant.

Does it matter if it has a 4 AT or a 6 AT, or K-15 B, or K-15 C?

Do folks really think that a profit-driven company will not do their money's worth of market research and just randomly mash together engine and transmission options and call it a day?

People who really want a Gypsy/Jimny will get it, they don't care enough if they have to use a stick shift or suffer through a 4 AT. There are people who want a Jimny and nothing else will satisfy their needs.

Going off topic here-

This might be a little controversial but I don't think that Jimny and the Thar are direct competitors, although they belong to roughly the same league.
Anyone experienced in driving through difficult terrain will know the importance of weight.
The Jimny is about 1190 Kgs whereas the Thar is close to 1750 Kgs.

The Thar has more power and more importantly torque but the Jimny is significantly lighter and will probably have a tighter turning radius.
Thar has IFS and a solid axle in the rear while the Jimny has a solid axle both in the front and rear, coming to the differences between IFS and a solid axle, IFS is more civilized but has more parts and therefore is less durable than solid axles, meanwhile solid axles are tougher than what most people can throw at them but have poor on-road manners. Solid axles are better for tough offroading situations (which I guess only 5% of the buyers of both these models will do) whereas IFS is better for being road queens with an occasional trip to the "road" lesser traveled.

The Jimny has a simple Naturally Aspirated engine and being a Maruti is easily more reliable and reparable, while both the petrol and diesel models of the Thar are turbocharged, although I do not question the reliability of Mahindra Diesels they are naturally more susceptible to breakdowns due to increased parts and complexity.

Jimny will come with a Brake Lock Differential (BLD) meanwhile the Thar has Manual Locking Differential on specific models (Or at least used to have) and a BLD on other models, an interesting point to note is, that the true Thar competitor, the Gurkha has an MLD on both front and rear axles.

Coming to "Features", if a car has seats that work, an AC, Charging ports, and a decent speaker system then it is enough for most enthusiasts. The lowest variant of the Jimny may come without an AC and that's alright since those models would be purchased by peeps who will heavily modify the car anyways and that model will be priced accordingly.
Remember cars like Jimny and Thar serve a different "purpose" and are different from other mind-numbing models of compact/full-size "SUVs" like the Brezza, Creta, Nexon, Harrier, Sonet, Seltos, etc. (No offense to the owners). You cannot reasonably expect them to have the same set of features as the cars mentioned above or be ready to pay some heavy bucks if you want them.

Although looks are subjective most will concur that the Thar looks more "macho" meanwhile the Jimny looks more "cute".

Jimny will be cheaper than the Thar, it's highly unlikely that Maruti will make the blunder of pricing it in the same range as Thar when it is smaller and makes less power. The 3-door Thar lower models may be in the same range as the higher end of the 5-door Jimny and the 5-door Thar will be much more expensive that the equivalent Jimny counterpart.

Many buyers will try to cross-shop between Jimny and Thar, but there exists a significant number of hardcore Jimny enthusiasts who will gladly take whatever Suzuki hands down to them and make it their own, in their own ways.

My controversial opinion - If you want a true hardcore offroader, have the time/money then purchase a Gurkha/Jimny and build it according to your needs, either buy a base model Jimny and give it a lift kit, MLDs and etc. or customize it like- Asterix (built by @Manuuj https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...re-begins.html (Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins)) are a prime example of excellent work and showcase the passion one has for his automotive endeavors.
parrymx5 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 09:11   #411
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacso View Post
....i didn't see why this one got to be worse, if maruti respects the original structure
Specially considering the huge public focus on NCAP ratings that is apparent today while going through the media.
Old 6th January 2023, 14:45   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Nowhere was I talking about my personal preference or anyone else's. Since you quoted my post 'out of the blue' and put down your perspective on driving 3k+ kms with AC turned off, I just presented mine(post#402), which I believe each one of us on the forum are entitled to. BTW, in case you have missed it, this is what TBHP 'OFFICIAL review' had to say about 2022 Alto K10-

Link (2022 Maruti Alto K10 Review)

If priced right, the Jimny has the potential to impact Bolero's sales numbers to an extent. Not only that, even C-SUVs / crossovers in the INR 10-15 lakh price range could feel the heat.
As long as we're making clear distinctions between what is opinion and what is transcendent, immutable fact, we should have no trouble.

My point is that the cited official review itself represents an OPINION - namely that every car, even if very small / llghtweight / easy to steer or whether it is sold in good numbers in cool hill regions to strong-armed hill-folk who wear woolens year-round (i.e., my neighbors!), apparently needs PS / AC *NOT* because all prospective buyers want/ need such things or would pay extra for them given the choice. But because it is 2022! - Well, it's 2022 in these hills, too, but this doesn't really change the requirements.

So I would not agree with that opinion - not at all. Official or unofficial.

Nor would I agree that a Jimny or ALL its own prospective buyers need or want more bhp or more gears simply because it's 2023, and other cars on offer have more.

I agree that companies base decisions on market research first, enthusiast opinion second, perhaps even a remote second.

I am only appealing that posters not write opinion as though it is unqualified, obvious fact / undeniable / universal reality.

In both cases here Maruti-Suzuki was being criticized for offering models with equipment claimed to be retrograde, that people supposedly don't want.

Sure, I'd agree that some people don't, including the enthusiasts posting, and that's a valid desire. But their points were not stated in terms of personal opinion - and these people are not the only ones buying cars.

Saying (for example) "I wouldn't want this model" or "I think it will find few takers" clearly opinion and entirely different from suggesting that the company is wrong to offer such a simple base model, or to omit such indispensible (in 2022) features.

Bolero, since it was mentioned, has more or less been proving the point for years. Still sells so well new both and used, despite being just about the same old body as circa 2000, and equipped as anything but modern / up-to-date. On paper and in terms of raw performance it lags about everything, but it sells for its great VFM and cheap/simple ongoing maintenance - and that VFM is possible because it's an age old, humble design wíth modest equipment options.

Personally would like to at least see one Jimny 4x4 variant offered along those lines, as it too could be a capable and great VFM package.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 6th January 2023 at 14:58.
ringoism is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 19:36   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

The renderings of Maruti Suzuki Jimny gets as close as the real deal!

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-capture.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-b.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-2.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-3.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-4.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-5.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th January 2023 at 19:41.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 21:49   #414
BHPian

Quote:
So I would not agree with that opinion - not at all. Official or unofficial.
Whether you agree with the OFFICIAL review or not is a matter of your choice. I doubt this requires a debate in the thread. Period.

Quote:
Bolero, since it was mentioned, has more or less been proving the point for years. Still sells so well new both and used, despite being just about the same old body as circa 2000, and equipped as anything but modern / up-to-date. On paper and in terms of raw performance it lags about everything, but it sells for its great VFM and cheap/simple ongoing maintenance - and that VFM is possible because it's an age old, humble design wíth modest equipment options.

Personally would like to at least see one Jimny 4x4 variant offered along those lines, as it too could be a capable and great VFM package.
+1 for this.
Old 11th January 2023, 13:16   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
Is the left side rear view mirror not internally adjustable ?
I can see a large gap between the mirror and the door.
Despite the gap, these are internally adjustable and fold able too.
See GIF below:
Name:  ezgif290511f8666.gif
Views: 552
Size:  5.86 MB

This is from this video:

The full video is also very pleasing as the stock suspension is riding 235/75R15 without fouling; but may foul on serious articulation.
purohitanuj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 14:04   #416
BHPian

Any information on Jimny unveil or being showcased in Indian Auto Expo today?

We were interested to explore this SUV and wait for its' launch in India, if things are suitable.
Old 11th January 2023, 14:22   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

We were interested to explore this SUV and wait for its' launch in India, if things are suitable.
Will be unveiled tomorrow - Confirmed!
purohitanuj is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 19:33   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

Be ready for the unveil of the 'Showstopper' at the Auto Expo tomorrow. Both (Jimny + Coupe SUV) retailing through the NEXA channel.

Name:  FmLq_gxaAAEOxmx.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  43.9 KB

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th January 2023 at 19:47.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 23:34   #419
Senior - BHPian

With the 2WD Thar being made available under 10L ex showroom, Maruti definitely has it's work cut out on the pricing for the Jimny.

I think the top spec 4WD may just be a shade below 14L ex showroom. Let's see that they unveil tomorrow. Hope they do a proper launch and not just the unveiling with prices not being disclosed.
Old 12th January 2023, 07:59   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
--Hope they do a proper launch and not just the unveiling with prices not being disclosed.
It could be an unveil with prices being disclosed closer to its launch.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks