Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2022, 16:09   #316

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I would suggest Suzuki/Maruti release the car first, even if it's without an engine or with an Alto engine. Release the car for God's sake. I am tired of looking at these articles.
Can't agree more. Checking this thread everyday for any new comments even. I just hope the car lives up to its hype when launched in India. It definitely is a capable car and the small form factor will attract a lot like me but just hope that maruti don't dilute the product for the sake of volume sales.
summos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:12   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Am I the only one who still feels that the 6 speed of Maruti is worse than even the 4 speed they previously had? I would any day prefer that 4 speed that the 6 speed snail they have put in their later offerings.
It might depend on which car it's in, and where you're driving it. For a city car generally driven at 30-80 kmph with the occasional 100 kmph run, the 6-speed AT seems to place more focus on fuel efficiency and smoothness of the ride, as opposed to performance. Whereas the 4-speed AT might be more suited to the Jimny.
Please don't give Maruti any further ideas to go back to their earlier gearbox in their cars with K15C engines.
Small Bot is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 17:32   #318
Senior - BHPian

Jimny might go straight head-on with Thar. Whilst few who need a subtle SUV with all off road gear with rock solid reliability with spreadover service network, they'll stick with Maruti's offering for sure.

Those who like the off road to be an actual Jeep with all the extra muscle theyll get through engine, they'll go for Thar - hands down.

Now, will I go for Jimny? Not actually. If I really want a jeep, I will want to experience Thar and be ready for the niggles I'll face on and off, if I'm not lucky enough.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 19:34   #319
BHPian

If Maruti thinks a 5 door will bring in numbers then why not sell 3 door along with it? Have both versions in the show rooms. Won't that combination be a sure Thar killer?
casnov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 20:34   #320
BHPian

Those who think Jimny should have got the 6 speed AT, please see this video. I think the 4 speed is peppy enough ( for jimny) and 100 km/hr is around 2600-2800 RPM.

The in gear acceleration is enough as well. What good had the 6 speed done with final ratio as 0.7 something with the same engine? The engine does not have grunt to sustain a taller gear. 6 speed would have just spread across these ratios which would not be ideal in my opinion.

Tech spec of gearbox below. See the ratios, which I think are fine for this car. Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-261a9bce3cd248e9bb4419ba77d2b3bc.jpeg

My only wish is to have a 50L fuel tank in the extra space with the 5 door. 40L is just not enough.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 12th December 2022 at 20:44.
purohitanuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 21:51   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Those who think Jimny should have got the 6 speed AT, please see this video. I think the 4 speed is peppy enough ( for jimny) and 100 km/hr is around 2600-2800 RPM.
Main problem with 4 speed AT is neither cruise-ability nor acceleration. When driving a small engine 4 speed AT at 80 - 90 - 100KPH and wanting quick acceleration for overtakes one will be caught between ratios. Wishing there was another ratio between the 2nd and the 3rd and wishing the 3rd would be a bit more taller because in 4th overdrive engine would lose all steam. I drive a torque converter 4 speed AT, its all fine for cruising and acceleration which is respectable till about 80-90 but overtaking on 2 lane highways wish there were more ratios. In 6 speed AT 5th and 6th are overdrives and the gap between the ratios from 1 to 4 are also less so there's always a right gear for the engine's powerband.

But there is no point in discussing this with regard to the Jimny because there will not be a 6 speed AT and one will have to live with what is available which is the 4 speed AT.

Last edited by Sankar : 12th December 2022 at 21:53.
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 22:17   #322
BHPian

Quote:
My only wish is to have a 50L fuel tank in the extra space with the 5 door. 40L is just not enough.
I can vouch for this fact that your wish will not be granted by the boffins at Maruti , that so called 40L tank is what you get across the range . The biggest issue i have with my Ciaz is the small fuel tank , a bigger tank like 55 litres would have given the car an amazing range .
Old 12th December 2022, 23:13   #323
BHPian

I don't care if it has K15 A,B or C , with 4 AT or 6AT, I just wish they name it Gypsy. I'll be first in line to book.

Last edited by Stolidus500 : 12th December 2022 at 23:32.
Stolidus500 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 10:17   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Brezza had 4 speed AT which have tall O/D as 100km/hr is around 2300 RPM )
Quote:
( for jimny) and 100 km/hr is around 2600-2800 RPM.
That seems reasonable enough, given that in the roads around my place, you can legally (and safely) go only till 80km/h.

But the 6 speed could have made cruising a bit easier. I am given to believe that in the 6 speed, both the 5th and 6th are overdrives and would have to downshift to 4th for meaningful performance. So you would have four proper gears for daily drive, while you are stuck with 3 gears in case of the 4 speed gearbox for daily driving. Both are torque convertors and made by Aisin. Also I believe it is the C Dualjet treatment that makes the Brezza/Ertiga/XL6/Grand Vitara experience lethargic, rather than the 6 speed gearbox. Though if the 4 speed auto is more rugged and long term friendly, then I am for it.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th December 2022 at 19:33. Reason: Boosterjet - Dualjet
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 13:58   #325
BHPian

MS is never tired of trying old tricks from its history. Testing the water with the old outdated product and getting people's attraction and then launching it with the latest they have in their kitty and increasing the price. They sold the same Maruti 800 for so many years until Hyundai came up with Santro and bashed their monopoly. Will history repeat? Kill the product before it is even launched?
wheeledwanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 14:20   #326
BHPian

I see so many queries regarding K15B and K15C. 4AT or 6AT are just made to move people and it does that so well, perhaps this configuration will be reliable than any other engine+AT combo in the market.
However as they have the 6AT here already, I think a Boosterjet 1.0(the 170ps one) + 6AT would help them save up in taxes and insurance and the car itself would perform much better than both K15B and K15C. But yeah, I don't think Maruti is interested in performance at all.

I had tried the Brezza 6AT with 5 on board climb a ghat and oh God, I cant explain how I felt when I jumped into a Kushaq 1.0AT right after it. Maruti is taking the 'people mover' tag to a whole different level here. I can never live with the current K15C engine+AT combo, that too on a Brezza costing 18 big ones. I wonder if the Grand Vitara with the same spec would even climb a steep hill with 5 on board and full luggage. The 1.4 Boosterjet, very well sleep on it Maruti. S-Cross never got it, and the Swift Sport never made it. We all know you want sales and profit from current crop of engines, and performance and safety very well comes last.

Last edited by Xaos636 : 13th December 2022 at 14:22.
Xaos636 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 14:35   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Going against the popular belief here, but the K15B and 4AT combo was far more potent than the K15C+6AT. 4AT surely "sounds" ancient, but it worked. The only thing 6AT and K15C is good at is efficiency and refinement. It sucks in every other department.

No offense to anyone.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 15:32   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnvn View Post
I know some experts here are expecting 14-15 lakh ex-showroom and whatnot, but it is not going to happen. Even by lifestyle SUV standards, Maruti will set a sales target 7-10 K units per month. It will try its level best to beat Thar in sales which is possible only with a killer price tag because everything else comes into the picture after the actual product lands in the market.
Interesting POV, my inference is this.
Brezza top model cost 15/16 lakhs OTR in Delhi. Considering that this one will certainly have more hardware, talk about the proper 4wd alone, I see this definitely heading into Thar territory.
Old_Salt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 17:54   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm planning to replace my wife's 6yr old Alto next year. She needs a small sized AT car. Jimny will be a good car in the family especially as a second one. Although she's not keen on a "Jeep" as she likes to call it, it's me and my selfish desire that's this.
My wife's only condition is that whichever is the car, both cars at home have to be an AT.

I so wish that MSIL sells the 3 door version also in parallel.

Jimny 3 door AT... I'll book as soon it opens
Jimny 5 door AT... I'll mostly still book it as it's still under 4mtrs.
If it's only MT, I'll just have to be happy seeing other Jimnys on the road.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 20:52   #330
BHPian

I had been waiting for Jimmy for past 3 years and there was no sign, just articles and clickbaits on YouTube about it's launching in India soon. I finally settled for S-cross last year. I know both are different segments, but I wanted a rugged car with a reliable engine and excellent after sales and service.

Well, the point I want to put across here is different. I am an avid traveler and love wild life. I often go to wild life sanctuaries and forest reserves to get glimpse of wildlife. During my recent visit to Ranthambore, Sawai Madhopur in Rajasthan, as always, we boarded safari which is Maruti Suzuki all time favourite Gypsy. The terrain was such that only a 4X4 gypsy could have gone through with ease. During discussion with the driver, he mentioned that most of the Gypsies are now facing their end of life and since Maruti Suzuki has stopped the production of the Gypsy, everyone who lends their Gypsy for Safari tours are exploring options that can replace Gypsy going forward. We discussed about Thar with open tops but they had their apprehensions. It might be a good alternative I believe, but will significantly increase the cost for these lenders from investment perspective and ROI. As per the conversation I had, the lender gets 1500 INR from government for each trip catering 6 people and driver and a guide. As government currently takes charges for 6 people per gypsy, it becomes affordable for both, lender (given gypsy's cost) and for adventure seekers. If Thar is one option, it's not going to be economical I guess.

Jimmy might be a another option, but yet again, cost? At what price will it be launched? What will be the ROI? How many people will it be able to accommodate and is it going to be economical for adventure seekers? Will it be a good alternative? Will it be able to replace the mighty old Gypsy?

Adding Force Gurkha to the list as well, since the gypsy driver mentioned that one of the Tiger reserves has ordered 15 of them. Not sure how successful will it be for Safari perspective, but good to have other's views on it.

I know it's bit out of context, but what do you guys think?

Last edited by Beingtraveler : 13th December 2022 at 21:07. Reason: Addition of a SUV to the list.
Beingtraveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks