Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2022, 16:03   #181
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Today lunch time, suddenly received a whatsapp message from my wife. The conversation goes like this:

She: Hey, I could spot a celerio in camouflage cover, perhaps undergoing testing!

Me: Are you sure that was a celerio?

She: Yes, I could see the maruti logo, and the red number plate and the white-black stripes of camouflage cover. It looks like a testing car that you search on YouTube.

Me: Was there any tyre+rim mounted behind the car?

She: Yes.

Me: You perhaps spotted a Jimny. How was the height?

She: Lower than my cab (Ertiga).

Again, she: Was that a Jimny? You said Jimny is an SUV. It doesn't look like an SUV. It was very small like Celerio! Hence I thought it is not Jimny.

Perhaps the end of considering Jimny as an SUV?

[Background: For past few weeks I am keenly watching various YouTube videos on Jimny and the spotted Jimny under camouflage cover undergoing testing. Wife also liked the small cute and capable SUV, in Neon green colour. She already selected that colour if we at all get the chance to own one. There are some videos where owners demonstrate how they can sleep inside their Jimny, make coffee/ tea, cook the dinner etc.]
RijuC is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 19:20   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
She: Lower than my cab (Ertiga).
Your wife definitely spotted something else unless the Ertiga cab had a liftkit
The 3 door Jimny is 1730mm in height and the current Ertiga is 1690mm (without a liftkit)

Also, to everyone complaining about road presence of the Jimny, I don't really get the obsession behind road presence and neither do I think that you guys understand the market positioning that the Jimny 5-door intends!

IMO, Maruti is just placing the Jimny as an adventure-friendly SUV that serves as a primary car and can be considered by every age group (Would be best for elder people since it is compact and has all the visibility benefits of big boxy SUVs) and not like the Thar, which is huge on the outside but isn't even a very comfortable 2 seater! (No offence to the owners, but the Thar is apt only for showing off!)

Plus, as per details leaked almost a year ago, the Jimny 5-door is a WagonR sized car so not really sure why people are expecting it to tower over other cars in the first place!

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 18th October 2022 at 19:29.
theAutomaniac is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 19:49   #183
BHPian

Guys, any concrete or insider info on whether the 3-door version will be launched alongside the 5-door version that's undergoing testing right now?

Thanks.
Old 18th October 2022, 19:55   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
Your wife definitely spotted something else unless the Ertiga cab had a liftkit
The 3 door Jimny is 1730mm in height and the current Ertiga is 1690mm (without a liftkit)

Also, to everyone complaining about road presence of the Jimny, I don't really get the obsession behind road presence and neither do I think that you guys understand the market positioning that the Jimny 5-door intends!
Please do not misunderstand my post regarding the sighting of a camouflaged Jimny undergoing road tests. She was perhaps not correct while interpreting and reporting the height of Jimny. I guess it was either little ahead or was on a downward slope of a flyover.

My intention was to display the excitement level even among the non-enthusiasts or normal users, in a light hearted manner. I was surprised to learn that my wife is taking interest in upcoming cars and trying to spot a Jimny on Gurgaon roads. She liked the view from Scorpio N during test drives. However, she is afraid of the gigantic dimensions. And gradually, she developed interest in Jimny understanding the compact size and utilities. That is the reason I added a "background" section in my post.

Basically, my wife prefers a compact SUV with Automatic Transmission and high sitting position, which she can also drive and zip through dense traffic or narrow roads. Also we need not to worry if it snows in the mountains.

We are fully aware that Jimny perfectly does its' intended work, and we do not bother about road presence or aggressive performance.

Please read it in light hearted manner and not as criticism.

Last edited by RijuC : 18th October 2022 at 20:02.
RijuC is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 20:54   #185
Team-BHP Support

I quite prefer the compact nature of the car!

If it gets the relatively peppy K15B instead of the 'dead' K15C, it could be quite the nifty little package even in the elongated 5-door setup.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 19:43   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Remember, the bare bones 3-door non-hybrid petrol Jimmy sold in EU (as a commercial vehicle) is still about ~16.5 lakhs INR.
In UK, even the Ignis and the Swift range starts from around 16 lakhs INR, and the AllGrip Ignis is 1000 pounds costlier than the 2WD one.
So, I don't think that we can compare the European pricing with the pricing here.

That being said, I have a feeling Maruti will price the Jimny around the current Brezza's pricing. Both have the same engine and gerabox, Brezza has all the creature and comforts while Jimny will have the AllGrip advantage.

Thoughts of other BHPians around the tentative pricings are welcome.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 19th October 2022 at 19:45.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 17:42   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I quite prefer the compact nature of the car!

If it gets the relatively peppy K15B instead of the 'dead' K15C, it could be quite the nifty little package even in the elongated 5-door setup.
It will come with K15B. Test mules are running with K15B only.
LokiPilaniya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 19:54   #188
BANNED

So what makes the K15C less peppy than the K15B?
Old 21st October 2022, 20:25   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
So what makes the K15C less peppy than the K15B?
The K15C is tuned for efficiency, the 6-speed automatic doesn't help either because in the Ertiga somehow 0-100 acceleration is slower than the K15B Ertiga.
Astargea is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 23:00   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astargea View Post
The K15C is tuned for efficiency, the 6-speed automatic doesn't help either because in the Ertiga somehow 0-100 acceleration is slower than the K15B Ertiga.
But does it mean that Jimny will come with 4 speed auto that does duty across most parts of the world? I hope Maruti sticks to the 6 speed tranny instead.
Old 22nd October 2022, 00:26   #191

Can anyone guess the tyre size based on these spy shots? I'am about to get a pair of snow chains for my current car (205/50/R17). It would be nice to be able to use the snow chains with the Jimny as well in the future.
Old 22nd October 2022, 05:36   #192
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotioninc View Post
Can anyone guess the tyre size based on these spy shots? I'am about to get a pair of snow chains for my current car (205/50/R17). It would be nice to be able to use the snow chains with the Jimny as well in the future.
International Jimny (Seen in Dubai in 2018) uses these tyres. See pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-93539fb43427414ba9398fece38b00ed.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-3317596a9f194e73a24021f972ba7e53.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-9e0f92a9543941c6b910660e9aaf09f2.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 08:08   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
But does it mean that Jimny will come with 4 speed auto that does duty across most parts of the world? I hope Maruti sticks to the 6 speed tranny instead.
The 6 speed AT combined with the K15c is a transversely mounted unit. If Maruti decides to sell the AT Jimny here it will be with the 4 speed box only. Because I don't think they have another choice for a small longitudinal auto gearbox with more than 4 ratios, Aisin does not make one. But 4 speed AT should not be a dealbreaker at all for anyone looking for AT convenience and looking to keep cruising speeds legal or at around 110-120 max.
Sankar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 15:37   #194
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astargea View Post
That is a matter of tuning correct? It can be tweaked to be more peppy for a smaller offroad vehicle possibly without compromising the fuel economy or KDH("Kitna Deti Hai") factor...
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 18:02   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotioninc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
International Jimny (Seen in Dubai in 2018) uses these tyres. See pics.
Stock Jimny all around the world, goes out of the Factory With a set of bridgestone dueler H/T 195/80 R15, the new 5 door tires should come in the same size
wacso is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks