Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2022, 06:17   #271
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Manufacturers have never shied away from false advertising. Duster, Compass and Kodiaq all advertised as 4wd/4x4 do not have low ratios. Duster was in another league, with AWD sticker and 4wd badge.

Feature deletions is also a common practice for Indian models. Anyways, i seriously hope that this is a blunder of an article and as mentioned in previous posts, we do get the relevant 4wd hardware.
I am not sure if a tranfercase without low ratio exists. Maruti wouldn’t design and manufacture such a part as it would be more expensive to remove the low ratio.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 07:17   #272
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If Maruti wish to compete with the Thar in this new age ‘leisure off roading’ space, as they most certainly will want to do, they will offer at least one equivalent variant of this Jimny 5 door, with a good engine, a proper AT gearbox, their proven AllGrip 4WD system and the Low Range Gear Box too. After all, from their perspective it is just a matter of using existing parts from their Bin.
My own feeling is that since they have observed for more than 2 years the huge success of the Thar and the fact that the demand for it still seems unabated, they will also want a piece of the action. And considering also the general pricing of vehicles presently in India, I would be very surprised indeed if the 5 door Jimny with all the trimmings in the Top Spec, clocks in at anything less than 16 to 17 lacs on road Bangalore.
Being a Suzuki one can expect that fit and finish will be more rounded and will have more finesse and less rough edges as compared with the Thar. And I am sure whatever they design as a 5 door will also be intended to be offered to other Right Hand Drive Markets. So it will be a good strong vehicle. While typical of them they may indeed have an ‘Export Spec’, I dont believe they will go all ‘terribly el cheapo’ and make unbearably severe compromises on the Indian spec.

Man lives in Hope.
Lets hope this particular ‘beggar’s’ wishes become ‘horses’.
Fingers Crossed.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th December 2022 at 07:37.
shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 19:21   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's 5D Jimny (YWD) exported to Japan (for testing?) confirms it has the 4 Cyl. 15KB10 engine.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-capture.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th December 2022 at 19:24.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 21:36   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
I am not sure if a tranfercase without low ratio exists. Maruti wouldn’t design and manufacture such a part as it would be more expensive to remove the low ratio.
Although in this case with Jimny it may as well be a 4low equipped transfer case , as far as I understand there are vehicles that come with a tranfer case but doesn't mesh the gears to connect both axles, instead they use clutches - Like the Jeep Grand Cherokee in india. It is similar to an AWD system however the transfer case recieves the power and then sends it to the front and rear axle.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 21:54   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki's 5D Jimny (YWD) exported to Japan (for testing?) confirms it has the 4 Cyl. 15KB10 engine.
This Jimny is going by vessel or airlifted? If the shipment is recent and by vessel, it will take approximately 20-30 days to reach Japan. Then there will be testing phase and test results analysis, followed by design validation/ final tuning and implementation in production. That translates into March-April, 2023 production start time?
Old 8th December 2022, 16:43   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I am not sure if a tranfercase without low ratio exists.
You are right. No one in their right mind will give a transfer case and not give the low ratio. That article is simply plainly stupid.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 16:45   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

On a separate note, I recently drove a 2021 Urban Cruiser with the K15B engine and 4-Speed Torque converter AT. I can tell you that, this combination is not at all fun to drive, if you are an enthusiast. The 4th gear is an over drive, so you have to pretty much manage with a weak engine and 3 gears. If this is the combination offered, I will most likely skip this offering and wait for the 5-Door Thar.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 21:49   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
On a separate note, I recently drove a 2021 Urban Cruiser with the K15B engine and 4-Speed Torque converter AT. I can tell you that, this combination is not at all fun to drive, if you are an enthusiast. The 4th gear is an over drive, so you have to pretty much manage with a weak engine and 3 gears. If this is the combination offered, I will most likely skip this offering and wait for the 5-Door Thar.
The 4 speed AT might be slow but it is pretty much bullet proof with drain and fill plugs for ATF and not “sealed for lifetime” non sense. I have gone through the service manual of the 4 speed AT. Anyway no one in his right mind will drive Jimmy above 90km/hr. I am waiting for its launch eagerly.
Link http://www.suzuki4x4.net/manual/jimn...1A10_01E_1.pdf

Last edited by purohitanuj : 8th December 2022 at 21:54.
Old 8th December 2022, 23:05   #279
BANNED

Quote:
Anyway no one in his right mind will drive Jimmy above 90km/hr. I am waiting for its launch eagerly.
Not sure why you feel like that. Ive found myself pushing the Gypsy beyond 100kmph almost non-stop at places like the Hyderabad ORR and for around 3hrs at a time on the Yamuna/Eastern Expressway on a recent trip. (Yes you read that right! I may have only hit less than 100kmph for about a minute for every 10 mins of driving at 105kmph over 3hrs continuously IIRC). If your suspension and wheels are upgraded it is very much a safe and comfortable option. I am waiting for the Jimny too and expect a similar minimum performance of 110kmph of comfortable cruising with its new engine. I would be very disappointed if it didn’t…
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 23:26   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 4 speed AT might be slow but it is pretty much bullet proof with drain and fill plugs for ATF and not “sealed for lifetime” non sense. I have gone through the service manual of the 4 speed AT. Anyway no one in his right mind will drive Jimmy above 90km/hr. I am waiting for its launch eagerly.
I found it very easy to cross 110kmph in the Thar hardtop if I'm not careful so I'm not sure if this is the right argument to make for a thar competitor.

4 speed autos are a relic of the past and that's where they should remain. They are not good for acceleration nor for efficiency.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 23:43   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
4 speed autos are a relic of the past and that's where they should remain. They are not good for acceleration nor for efficiency.
I don't think 4 speed TC will be ever seen again, since the new Brezza and now GV and Hyryder as well come with 6 speed TC. I just with they offered the same gear box year ago as well, I would have gone for S-cross AT rather than MT.
Old 9th December 2022, 09:17   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beingtraveler View Post
I don't think 4 speed TC will be ever seen again, since the new Brezza and now GV and Hyryder as well come with 6 speed TC. I just with they offered the same gear box year ago as well, I would have gone for S-cross AT rather than MT.
These are front wheel drive with different engine layout. Lets see if Suzuki is able to mount 6 speed AT in rear wheel configuration. I do wish they launch the 6 speed AT ( wish: with BoosterJet 1.4) but we all know Suzuki. Atleast 1.5 K15B with mild hybrid with 6 Speed AT should be provided. Fingers crossed.
Old 9th December 2022, 09:24   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I found it very easy to cross 110kmph in the Thar hardtop if I'm not careful so I'm not sure if this is the right argument to make for a thar competitor.

Crossing 110-120 and cruising at 110 are totally different things. I drive a Scorpio S10 AT (6 speed) and it can reach 140 easily. It is the fastest Scorpio on road in terms of acceleration and top speed. But I do not cruise above 90 ( quick overtake is fine till 120km/h) as I have had my share of sudden dogs, cows jumping on road during my 1,20,000 KMs of ownership till now (in 7 years). After driving around 3L kms on Indian highways, I have a fair idea of what max and average speeds can be maintained.
The new restricted expressway are nice for high speed cruising but they are boring and have very few decent stopovers.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 9th December 2022 at 09:29.
Old 9th December 2022, 09:27   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Not sure why you feel like that. Ive found myself pushing the Gypsy beyond 100kmph almost non-stop at places like the Hyderabad ORR and for around 3hrs at a time on the Yamuna/Eastern Expressway on a recent trip. (Yes you read that right! I may have only hit less than 100kmph for about a minute for every 10 mins of driving at 105kmph over 3hrs continuously IIRC). If your suspension and wheels are upgraded it is very much a safe and comfortable option. I am waiting for the Jimny too and expect a similar minimum performance of 110kmph of comfortable cruising with its new engine. I would be very disappointed if it didn’t…
It certainly can. Check this to set your expectations. Last section shows cruising RPMs. Mind it this for 3 Door ( with 4 speed AT) which is 100 kilo lighter than 5 door.

p.s. This is you in Jimny I guess

Last edited by purohitanuj : 9th December 2022 at 09:44.
Old 9th December 2022, 10:35   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny 5d rendered:

Quote:
we come to another interesting aspect, the mechanical. Everything indicates that the new five-door Suzuki Jimny will resort to an electrified engine (and also with turbo?) that would not only open the possibility of being marketed again as a passenger car, but would also grant it the environmental distinctive Eco of the DGT.
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-suzukijimny5porteilrenderdimotor1.com-3.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-suzukijimny5porteilrenderdimotor1.com-2.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-suzukijimny5porteilrenderdimotor1.com-1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-suzukijimny5porteilrenderdimotor1.com.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks