Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2022, 17:18   #301
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

I just believe Maruti went lazy and didn't want to calibrate it's new K15C and 6 Speed auto with the All When Drive Hardware. Hence the decision to use globally tried and tested K15B and 4 Speed Autobox.
umohan98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 18:16   #302
BHPian

A mass-market car maker like Maruti has to analyse various factors like cost, performance, sales, scale, reliability and many more things before launching anything in a market where it dominates like crazy. It has already been targeted a lot due to Brezza's pricing. I am sure fitting a new engine and gearbox in a small 4WD ladder frame SUV would have increased its R&D cost and production cost, which Maruti doesn't want. Nobody except purists will go for Gypsy/Jimny if it's priced closer to the Thar. I have said it earlier and I am repeating my statement again. The "Maruti Gypsy/Jimny will undercut Thar's price by a fair margin." I know some experts here are expecting 14-15 lakh ex-showroom and whatnot, but it is not going to happen. Even by lifestyle SUV standards, Maruti will set a sales target 7-10 K units per month. It will try its level best to beat Thar in sales which is possible only with a killer price tag because everything else comes into the picture after the actual product lands in the market.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th December 2022 at 17:37. Reason: Grammar
iamnvn is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 19:51   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door to get older K15B petrol engine.

Attachment 2388303

- Jimny 5-door will have Suzuki’s All Grip Pro 4WD tech

- K15B engine likely to get mild-hybrid tech

- Two gearbox options will be on offer, five speed manual and four-speed automatic.

Source
In addition to this 100% authentic information posted by @Venkatesh, the Jimny 5 Door production will start by March-April 2023 followed by usual Suzuki stock build up period and then launch. Like the international variants, the Jimny is likely to be a 4-Seater with all safety Bells and whistles like 6 Airbags and all. With the European Jimny getting 3 star in Euro NCAP, we can kind of predict a safety performance of 3 to 4 stars as per GNCAP present version (A 5 star rating would be a pleasant but shocking surprise knowing Suzuki's disdain for NCAP).
Carma2017 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 08:52   #304
BHPian

4 speed auto in 2022? That too for a almost 18+ lakhs on road vehicle? ? I wish some common sense prevails with MS. This is absurd from technology point of view and as well it clearly shows MS is not someone who will change their attitude of delivering pony drive trains and milk them. I expected this to have a 6 speed auto, full blown All Grip, 1.6 for around 16-17 lakhs OTR. Psychologically 18 lakhs OTR is no-no for this car and it is in Thar territory already. This can not even think of competing with Thar when it comes to size, looks and power (5 door). Leave everything else, that 4 speed auto is indigestible. My wait continues and it all pointing back to an used Red Thar D Auto convertible. Competition is good though, M&M will wake up to this Jimny 5 door one day and start being realistic with its price to some extent. But for now, it looks like Thar is a behemoth if you put these two next to each other.

Last edited by sgmuser : 11th December 2022 at 08:55. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 09:43   #305
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

4-speed auto? No. Just no. simply NO!

I've had it with Maruti. Not even thinking of touching a 4-speed. What is this? 1985?

Thar 5 door/Used Endeavour it is.
vredesbyrd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 11:23   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Honestly I am not shocked to see the 4 Speed AT and I predicted this as well. It does the job, the ATF can be replaced easily, Good documentation available and it enough for the Jimny. Deal is sealed. 6 speed had been better in other aspects but 4 speed is fine as well.
Trust me this engine and gearbox combo can outlive the 15 year term which cannot be said about the 6 speed AT.
Why, in 2022, would you still have to choose between reliability and performance in a vehicle that costs more than 15 lakhs on road? It's baffling to me that you are so easily accepting of this, and so forgiving. The only reason we are getting this relic is because Suzuki doesn't want to do the R&D for mating the modern 6 speed box in this chassis. Yet here we are, licking their boots for being so gracious and benevolent as to bring the Jimny, even in a perverse 5 door version, with an outdated engine and gearbox.

How often do you actually need to replace the ATF? AFAIK, it is only in sustained heavy use, like for taxies constantly being used in City traffic, that the ATF has to be replaced at 60K, which is 3 years (6 in my case). Else, you don't need to replace it in modern (repeat, modern) TC transmissions at all, though you can replace it at about 100K (5/10 years?). And having the 2 extra ratios actually reduces the stress on the fluid as well, as it doesn't have to compensate as much for the wide gap in gear ratios. So why would easy replacement of ATF be such a boon that it makes up for having to deal with a slow shifting gutless AT every moment you are driving it?

As for the manual lock, the 6 speed has the manual mode and paddle shifts, which means that you can "lock" it in twice as many gears, without having to resort to archaic means.

For heaven's sake, let us not be so forgiving of our car makers' laziness and greed, especially on forums like this, which is being monitored by the manufacturers. If we become accepting of their complacency and refusal to provide proper R&D to us, their biggest market, then we will continue to get inferior products, while the more demanding markets will get the best that they can offer. . If it weren't for Kia offering their DCTs and 6 speed TCs in the Sonet and increasing their market share, MSIL would still be selling the Brezza with the same K15B and 4AT.

As for the towing video, this doesn't mean much. Once you get up to speed on the highway, maintaining 110 kph is not any kind of an achievement for a vehicle designed in 2018. And he specifically states that inclines are an issue. And this is the 3 door model. Imagine how much worse it would be for a 5 door model, carrying extra body weight as well as passengers.

Last edited by vivekgk : 11th December 2022 at 11:26.
vivekgk is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 12:30   #307
BHPian

Here’s one more, and probably the latest, video of the 5-door Suzuki Jimny being tested in India. From what I could gather, the vehicle has a radio antenna mounted to its right and comes with high-mounted brake light, just like the international 3-door version.

It also seems to have a soft suspension, just like the 3-door variant, but it is hard to comment on the suspension just by looking at this video. Only someone who has driven it could provide insights about that.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 13:47   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny 5d info, (international press)

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-suzuki-jimny-5d-1.jpeg

- With a wheelbase that will be 300 mm longer than the 3-door Jimny we know and will reach a total of 2,550 mm, the total length of the 5-door Jimny will be under four meters and will be to be precise 3,850 mm. Its height and width will be 1,730 and 1,645 mm. Similarly, the weight is expected to be kept low, below 1,200 kg

-The two additional doors and the wheelbase increase will favour space for passengers and luggage, as well as practicality, and are expected to offer higher levels of comfort.

- But the important news about the upcoming 5-door Jimny is under the hood, with Suzuki turn to the installation of an electrified engine, either mild hybrid or full hybrid.

. It goes without saying, however, that it will retain the manual transmission and the gearbox.

Name:  Suzuki Jimny 5d 2.jpeg
Views: 676
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  Suzuki Jimny 5d 3.jpeg
Views: 714
Size:  61.7 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th December 2022 at 13:49.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 17:32   #309
BHPian

I’d be perfectly content with the infinitely reliable 4 speed auto, if only they’d offer the 3 door version. Why Maruti whyyyyyyyyyyyy?? There are tons of future customers who want a car just for themselves and not the entire extended family! I mean, look at the success of the Thar which can barely take two and a half people and their bags! Dang
Old 11th December 2022, 18:18   #310
BHPian

I see Many people asking for a 6 speed AT, did suzuki got any gearbox like that for a longitudinal engine? Or they should got to make a new one, only for the jimny, making them even more expensive?

Also, would you prefer a double clutch, or a Torque Converter?, Because the orientation of the car, It makes the Converter a better option, but maybe, for everyday and long distances, is better the direct double clutch?
wacso is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 10:33   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacso View Post
I see Many people asking for a 6 speed AT, did suzuki got any gearbox like that for a longitudinal engine? Or they should got to make a new one, only for the jimny, making them even more expensive?

Also, would you prefer a double clutch, or a Torque Converter?, Because the orientation of the car, It makes the Converter a better option, but maybe, for everyday and long distances, is better the direct double clutch?

You are right about the gearbox layout, and I am fine with 4 speed AT. The newer 6 speeds are also torque convertor based.
One point to think is that Suzuki had 4 speed AT for both longitudinal as well as horizontal ( Brezza had 4 speed AT which have tall O/D as 100km/hr is around 2300 RPM ) then why not design 6 speed for both orientation as well?
Anyway, I have no complaints with the rugged 4 speed AT. Much simpler to maintain and repair.
Old 12th December 2022, 13:14   #312
BHPian

I am fine with my Urban Cruiser's 4 Speed AT as my highway speed is between 70-90KMPH. SoNever felt the need for 6Speed AT box. This 4 Speed is prrety old and reliable.
MotoDrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 13:44   #313
BHPian

Very confidence inspiring. Jimny manual in AutoBahn. Not bad for a 102 bhp boxy SWB to main 160kmph and it looks solid especially the steering. The only thing we need to find out is how much of this we will get after all the filtering done in India. Lower profile tires will do help a bit more on the stability and the tires in this car are unusually taller (better suited for snow?). Low profile but knobby ones will look good.

Last edited by sgmuser : 12th December 2022 at 13:46.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 15:22   #314
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest Suzuki/Maruti release the car first, even if it's without an engine or with an Alto engine. Release the car for God's sake. I am tired of looking at these articles.
Raghu M is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 15:49   #315
BANNED

Am I the only one who still feels that the 6 speed of Maruti is worse than even the 4 speed they previously had? I would any day prefer that 4 speed that the 6 speed snail they have put in their later offerings.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks