Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2022, 21:10   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Suzuki's 5 door Jimny will retain all characteristics of the 3d variant.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-capture.jpg

Quote:
Predictably, the design of the four-door Jimny (or 5-door, if you must count that tailgate) closely mirrors its three-door counterpart, looking identical up to the B-pillar. Usually, 4-door models get smaller front doors than their three-door equivalents but this is not the case with the Jimny. Thus, the rear doors are slightly shorter despite the significantly longer wheelbase which is rumored to grow by 300 mm (11.8 inches) to 2,550 mm (100.4 inches). The stretched model is expected to measure 3,850mm (151.6 inches) long, with the other dimensions remaining unchanged.

The profile now has three windows, while the front and rear overhangs remain quite short so the approach and departure angles will not be compromised. The rear end of the Jimny is also carried over from the three-door model, including the side-hinged tailgate with the spare wheel, and the bumper-mounted taillights

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 23:43   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
With the Jimny badging, guess it wouldn't be called as Gypsy for the Indian market.
How about Toyota Gypsy? Now that would be worth double premium!!
inwester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 04:59   #378
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Please keep the discussion limited to the Suzuki Jimny 5-door. Any more off-topic posts will be deleted.
Aditya is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 11:59   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.gawai View Post
yes. Jimny will come to the Indian market. I am working on this vehicle from a supplier end. They will showcase it at the auto expo. Already proto-build is underway and expect to launch by end of Q1 or early Q2.
Can you please ask their designers to provide the seats which can accomodate 6 feet -6 feet 3 inches tall and athletic built occupants? Now they make tiny seats for WagonR. All Indians are not short and thin.

The target users of these SUVs designed for specific usage (Jimny for off-roading usage) are mostly physically active and keep themselves fit, or involved in some kind of sports. The sub-4 meter Maruti cars have uncomfortable seats for large frame (XL or 2XL size) occupants. Jimny dimensions are almost same as WagonR. WagonR seats are not that great for long drives. Swift seats are much better.

Last edited by RijuC : 22nd December 2022 at 12:08.
Old 22nd December 2022, 12:32   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.gawai View Post
yes. Jimny will come to the Indian market. I am working on this vehicle from a supplier end. They will showcase it at the auto expo. Already proto-build is underway and expect to launch by end of Q1 or early Q2.
Any concrete info that you may know about the 3-door launch? Any idea if it will ever be launched, either in conjunction with the 5-D version, or sometime later on?
Old 22nd December 2022, 16:25   #381
BHPian

For all the people hoping for 3DR Jimny launch in India - Its not going to happen. MS's plan is to sell only the 5DR version in India. 3DR production might even be subsequently stopped in India once 5DR production is in full swing.
ZenMaster is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 16:25   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I never thought I would say this but for the first time I would actually prefer an AGS over the medieval 4AT.
I pray that if ever they launch one in India, they do not change the K15B+4AT combo. That is a combo well perfected and tuned for off road. An AGS will kill the clutch on it's very first proper off road trip. We have seen AGS vehicles with clutch judder as low as 25K kms of on road use.
It may lack highway performance, but thanks to our highways we hardly go to those speeds.

-Raj
raj4466 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 19:38   #383
th2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj4466 View Post
An AGS will kill the clutch on it's very first proper off road trip. We have seen AGS vehicles with clutch judder as low as 25K kms of on road use.
I concur. I have an Ignis, done about 50 thousand km. The AGS is absolute crap. No Nexa vehicle should ever be sold with an AMT.
th2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 20:07   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj4466 View Post
That is a combo well perfected and tuned for off road. An AGS will kill the clutch on it's very first proper off road trip. We have seen AGS vehicles with clutch judder as low as 25K kms of on road use.
It may lack highway performance, but thanks to our highways we hardly go to those speeds.

-Raj
I am guessing with (brake) hill hold feature of the new AGS the clutch should last a lot longer. For trail bashing a new gen AGS probably wouldn't be too bad if they think its good for Japanes domestic market. For hardcore offroading you are right about having AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th2 View Post
I concur. I have an Ignis, done about 50 thousand km. The AGS is absolute crap. No Nexa vehicle should ever be sold with an AMT.
The new AGS they have in the K12N dualjet engines are far better with hill hold and seem to shift well, seamlessly and without much of a head nod. I warmed up to AGS only after driving the new K12N AGS with hill hold. I did not like the older AGS/AMT in the Marutis that I have rented (Gen3 Swift1.3DDIS, Gen3 SwiftK12M, Gen3 WagonR K10B) and absolutely hated it especially on steep gradients.

Last edited by Sankar : 22nd December 2022 at 20:14.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 21:47   #385
BHPian

It looks a lot better that I imagined it would. All that zebra tape really does a good job of masking the looks. I guess the front doors have been kept the same to reduce tooling costs, same as the 5 door Thar. The flap type old school handles have also been retained all around, also hinting at cost cutting. The small squares next to the front door handles and the boot door handle also look like request sensors. Guess they picked it off the Celerio.

I think all of this would work out in favour of the prospective buyer, since it brings down the overall cost of the vehicle. I hope they price it well though, as if it ends up being sold at a premium due to the Jimny badge, especially with the older K15B+4AT combo, Mahindra Thar will absorb all of those customers.

Love the bright colour. One of the big faults with the Thar is it's really somber colour pallete. I hope they offer the same bright blues, reds, whites and yellows, and maybe even more.

The spare mounted on the rear boot door maybe a necessity due to the small size of the car, but it looks really good. It seems like there is something missing on the tyre cover though, doesn't it?

Although I was waiting for the Jimny for a long time, I lost a lot of my enthusiasm after coming to know that the front suspension was non-independent. IMO, that kind of rules it out as an only car due to the compromise in ride and handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Might add that one of the most successful production automatic gearboxes in history was GM's Powerglide. It was favored for years in drag-racing - suited to massive acceleration up to at least 170-180kmph trap speed with low (4.11:1, etc) final drive gears... and btw these were only TWO SPEED Automatics!!!
Good to hear from you, dear Eric. I've always loved reading about your life with the Marshal and your Getaway.

While I do defer to your experience with the old TC boxes with 4 speed and even 2 speed powerglide boxes, the big difference here is that this isn't a high capacity straight six or V8 that this 4 speed AT is paired to, but an underfed 1.5L petrol that has been tuned to eke out the maximum mileage, performance be damned. It's an engine that can be best termed adequate.

MSIL really needs a newer engine. I think tey're waiting until the other shoe drops on BS6, i.e the revisions next year.
vivekgk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 02:27   #386
BHPian

I was curious to check the "Floating Roof Look" and "Dual Tone Look" on Jimny. Here are the results:
Attached Images

iamnvn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 20:45   #387

Surprised to see the news of a 4x2 Thar Diesel variant with 1.5L engine. Maruti has to price the Jimny sensibly. Mahindra surely have spiced up the game here.
https://www.rushlane.com/2023-mahind...-12455745.html
summos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 12:15   #388
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Can you please ask their designers to provide the seats which can accomodate 6 feet -6 feet 3 inches tall and athletic built occupants? Now they make tiny seats for WagonR. All Indians are not short and thin.

The target users of these SUVs designed for specific usage (Jimny for off-roading usage) are mostly physically active and keep themselves fit, or involved in some kind of sports. The sub-4 meter Maruti cars have uncomfortable seats for large frame (XL or 2XL size) occupants. Jimny dimensions are almost same as WagonR. WagonR seats are not that great for long drives. Swift seats are much better.
The Indian design team has very limited scope to change anything in the international model. YWD (Jimny) is a global product and for every change, they need to approach Suzuki Japan. So I doubt they will change much of the things in the Indian model.
We need to wait for TBHP review.

Yes, it is true that wagon R seating is not that comfortable for long drives but the Swift and Ciaz are good (don't have personal experience with Ciaz though).
Old 24th December 2022, 12:24   #389
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Any concrete info that you may know about the 3-door launch? Any idea if it will ever be launched, either in conjunction with the 5-D version, or sometime later on?
To be honest, I do not have any concrete information but looking at the market size and 5 door is already on paper I doubt they will launch 3 door version.
satish.gawai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 12:53   #390
Senior - BHPian

Once the bookings open, the smart approach for the true 4x4 enthusiast would be to make a booking (no fomo) and scan the classifieds for "instant regret" distress sales. Purchase decisions made based on "looks" and "lifestyle" rapidly turn sour once the buyer gets a taste of the rigid front axle driving experience.

Given the success of hype marketing for "lifestyle" vehicles and prices nudging ever further north, I would speculate that the used car market will be littered with "Doctor Driven" Jimnys in short term.

I am waiting for the Jimny and it has been more than a decade now since the wait started.

Last edited by gsferrari : 24th December 2022 at 12:55. Reason: Added an unnecessary fact
gsferrari is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks