Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2023, 12:28   #466
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Jimny looks pretty well kitted especially on the safety front especially with 6 airbags as standard. The 4 speed AT is a bit of downer
Old 12th January 2023, 12:43   #467
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoyWalrus View Post
The Jimny looks nice and seems practical, but for a car that weighs 1.5 tons, it's massively underpowered with just 135nm torque. Maruti.
Jimny
1200kgs kerb weight
1.5 litre petrol engine
103 bhp
130Nm torque
4 speed AT with Low Range

Thar
Approx 1700kgs
1.5 litre diesel engine
117bhp
300Nm torque
6 Speed Manual
RWD/2WD

Jimny will have its customers.
Thar will have its customers.
Some may buy and own both for different applications.
shankar.balan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 12:49   #468
BHPian

Looking at the boot space of the Jimny, with its power and torque figures, I'm in no hurry to sell my 2018 Duster AWD. My friend was waiting for the Jimny since long (and cursing Maruti all this while), so I'll get to drive it eventually!
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 12:54   #469
Senior - BHPian

M&M are simply waiting for maruti to announce jimny prices before the 5 door Thar launch.
shortbread is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 13:16   #470
BHPian

Thank God that it'll be called a JIMNY.
Good move, it's coming fully kitted, hopefully a 4×2 varient will be launched, by the way does the 3 door have a 4×2?
Old 12th January 2023, 13:39   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoyWalrus View Post
The Jimny looks nice and seems practical, but for a car that weighs 1.5 tons, it's massively underpowered with just 135nm torque. The 1.5L Thar has a lot more oomph (on paper, of course) and with it probably being cheaper than the Jimny, the Thar is still my pick over the Maruti.
I second this with the viewpoint that Jimny is going to be a lifestyle choice vehicle similar to thar.We buy it with the heart and not head.We buy it for the looks as well. It will most probably be priced at a premium (seeing brezza prices).With that view ,I think they should have given it a more powerful turbo engine,proper AT & plenty of torque atleast.

Last edited by Senotrius : 12th January 2023 at 13:41.
Old 12th January 2023, 13:51   #472
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
The headlights are not projector type?

Whether it is possible to replace the LED lamps by Halogens? Is LED too bad and risky in foggy conditions?

I did a blind booking, Kinetic Yellow AT.
How? The nexa e-booking site does not have Jimny as an option…
Old 12th January 2023, 13:58   #473
BHPian

Jimny will be boon for those who frequent hilly regions of North and North-East India, even Western ghats for that matter. It will be go anywhere take anywhere kind of vehicle for these folks.

For urban folks, this is good enough for them to get noticed and act as conversation starters, but it can't be a show-off kind of vehicle for these folks. It falls in cute category and not butch category. From the pictures, it looks a half size smaller than Brezza and full size smaller than Grand Vitara or XL6. Its better not to compare with Mahindra and Tata full size SUVs.

IMO, after initial hype sales should stabilize. It is not sustainable once you bring price vs size ratio in picture. And this is what people will realize once they see it on road.

But introduction of such vehicles clearly suggest that OEMs have started putting faith in Indian Car market and I hope it continues for longer run. We need more options with healthy competition and make Customer King again.

Last edited by varunswnt : 12th January 2023 at 14:00.
varunswnt is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 14:02   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
They are probably waiting to gauge the response once the ‘blind bookings’ commence. And will take a call based on the demand. This is actually a pretty smart marketing tactic.
Saying this, I don't think Maruti will be over ambitious. After all they are best known for VFM.
Well, in that case Maruti must prepare itself for mass booking cancellations as well if they don't price it right and go by the number of blind bookings (considering a lot of enthusiasts will book it blindly).
There will certainly be some who would be pushed back after seeing that despite being a 5 door, it's a 4 seater after all, esp. those who would be eyeing this as the only family car.
Maruti must consider all the factors before announcing the pricing.
Old 12th January 2023, 14:04   #475
BHPian

Finally the rabbit is out of the hat. How come there is no shade of green, not very interesting choice of colours. The specs are very good and the long wait begins.
Old 12th January 2023, 14:24   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
How? The nexa e-booking site does not have Jimny as an option…
Off-line mode, 25k bank transfer. Yet to receive any receipt or booking slips etc. At least bank transfer acknowledgement or money receipt would suffice as of now. Actual booking may take some time. But I have seen this mode works better with Maruti Suzuki/ NEXA when I booked the Grand Vitara on 19th July, 2022. My car arrived on 26th September, 2022. Eventually I cancelled it. The reasons and bitter experience with that NEXA dealership were reported in the Grand Vitara thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpant05 View Post
Well, in that case Maruti must prepare itself for mass booking cancellations as well if they don't price it right and go by the number of blind bookings (considering a lot of enthusiasts will book it blindly).
we had the same apprehension for the Grand Vitara also. But sales numbers of Grand Vitara is going strong.

Jimny cannot be compared with Thar or Gurkha. Road presence, look and application are different. As explained by seniors, Thar has its own audience, Jimny will have its own fan following.

I made the blind booking just out curiosity, if this SUV works for me. My usage-case is little different. I am trying to fit in everything (and the solution seemed to be Brezza). But we didn't find 16.8 lakhs OTR Brezza as VFM. Scorpio N was kind of love at first sight.. Ultimately, didn't buy Scorpio N considering my usage-case. I'll take the final decision after having a test drive of Jimny. If the interior space is too cramped or uncomfortable to sit for 500-600 km, and ride is too bouncy; I won't go for it.

Who knows, Jimny may help me to explore much deeper into the the tough terrains.
Old 12th January 2023, 14:30   #477
BHPian

Greetings Team..
I just made a offline booking for 25k with my dealer.
Opted for Zeta Automatic in Sizzling Red/Granite Gray..
If it's priced above 15 lacs I said I shall cancel the booking.
No cancellation charges as per the Dealer.
Now the Wait begins.
Drive Safe.
matchvan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 14:38   #478
Senior - BHPian

Official booking amount is Rs. 11000/-. Don't give 25k. I booked by visiting a Nexa Dealer and they booked it for 11k and gave me a receipt as well.

Even on the website it's mentioned as 11k with a 500 rupees deduction if you cancel after the price reveal.

The ebook option is still not showing Jimny as an option although the other Fronx has started to show in the list.

Best to book it at the Dealer.

Last edited by Traveler : 12th January 2023 at 14:43.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 14:45   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Jimny launch (pricing/delivery) is likely to be in ~April/ May.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-fmp6ohbagaei3b8.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-fmqhuhmauaa4zr0.jpg

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki will assemble the Jimny 5-Door at the Gurugram plant and is already taking orders in India where it'll go on sale in May. Other markets will follow, including Africa, Australia, and Latin America.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th January 2023 at 14:57.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 14:46   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Jimny
1200kgs kerb weight
1.5 litre petrol engine
103 bhp
130Nm torque
4 speed AT with Low Range

Thar
Approx 1700kgs
1.5 litre diesel engine
117bhp
300Nm torque
6 Speed Manual
RWD/2WD

Jimny will have its customers.
Thar will have its customers.
Some may buy and own both for different applications.
An important point being Jimny is half a ton lighter than Thar which would mean better performance on road and especially off road.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks