Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2017, 21:42   #1756
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Will MISS YOU!
A nice trip down the memory lane. Almost had tears when I read that you had to part ways with her. These cars invoke emotions, and are related to us which I doubt any new car will ever do.

Do post more pictures, if you have. Its always a treat to drool on such beauties.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 22:30   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

It was in the year 1981 when my mom and dad spotted Suzuki 800 running on the roads of Kathmandu, Nepal. Back home, soon the same car was to make its debut and revolutionize the way and lifestyles of the masses forever.
Hi Nohonking
Can relate to your story as my dad also owned the same 1986 model with number similar to yours UGX 2727. We sold it way back in 2000. Dad was really emotional about that car. On another note where do you belong to as the registration number is similar to mine. I'm based in gurgaon too now.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 23rd April 2017 at 07:58. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Guneet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:46   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
A nice trip down the memory lane. Almost had tears when I read that you had to part ways with her. These cars invoke emotions, and are related to us which I doubt any new car will ever do.

Do post more pictures, if you have. Its always a treat to drool on such beauties.

Regards,
Shashi
Dear Shashi,

Thank you so much for the kind words. Yes, I completely agree with you, no matter these cars are obsolete technology in this era of drive by wire and sensors, but the emotions, the revolution and the superior quality which these cars brought along make them stand apart and no new car can replace this. Can we think of any of today's car to last for as long as 3 decades? This car was still good to drive(half a self start, jack rabbit pickup, about 22kmpl mileage and I could still race it past 120kmph mark). At the time when it was sold (in my absence), it was wearing 4 x 145 section Bridgestones (non of them had got punctured during last 22k km) while the one sitting in the boot was the OEM Ceat (non-radial skinny).

Another interesting thing about this car was, the supplied tool kit containing the entire set of screwdrivers, wrenches and pliers to do all sort of jobs on your own (if you are capable of course). This is unlike the present era cars which come only with a jack and a tyre opener wrench.

I will search my old laptop for any more interesting pictures. Also, will search at home if I can find that black coloured owner's manual. Would like to preserve it as well. Thanks.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guneet View Post
Quote:
Hi folks,

It was in the year 1981 when my mom and dad spotted Suzuki 800 running on the roads of Kathmandu, Nepal. Back home, soon the same car was to make its debut and revolutionize the way and lifestyles of the masses forever.
Hi Nohonking
Can relate to your story as my dad also owned the same 1986 model with number similar to yours UGX 2727. We sold it way back in 2000. Dad was really emotional about that car. On another note where do you belong to as the registration number is similar to mine. I'm based in gurgaon too now.
Dear Guneet,

Nice to hear that you too had a possession of a UGX series of beauty. UGX RTO is Saharanpur(UP). I am basically from Haridwar(UK08). Back in 1987 Haridwar was in UP and apparently was linked to Saharanpur RTO. Thanks.

Cheers!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 23rd April 2017 at 07:58. Reason: Fixed broken quoted post.
Nohonking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 19:40   #1759
BHPian

This one is up for sale ..

I am in no way affiliated to the seller of the car or owner to whom it belonged to. Just putting it up on the forum with hope if its worth, it might get picked up and restored to its original glory.

https://www.olx.in/item/maruti-suzuk...tml#1b3fccf7bd

Old 4th May 2017, 13:30   #1760
eko
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
SS80 carburettor is MIKUNI DIDS 2430 , SB308 ,carburettor part no-84360-7610 also came with the same Japanese carburettor till 1988 last when they changed to MIKUNI-UCAL carburettors which had some minor differences.as far as my info goes, there are no major adjustments or modifications needed

You are right. The SB 308 carburettor is a direct fit. I have tried on my SS80 and is running fine.

The slow jet of Mikuni has threads and SB 308 is push in and tighted with a small bracket and single screw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko View Post
You are right. The SB 308 carburettor is a direct fit. I have tried on my SS80 and is running fine.

The slow jet of Mikuni has threads and SB 308 is push in and tighted with a small bracket and single screw.
Pictures of my SS80 recently restored.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img20160927wa0090.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img20161002wa0038.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th May 2017 at 13:59. Reason: Back to back posts.
eko is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 14:14   #1761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100 View Post
India's first RESTOMODDED Suzuki Alto SS80. Ready after 2 years of hardwork. More pics coming soon.

Some more teaser shots of the car. It was long and painfull effort for over 2 years to achive this. Just for the info the besides the aesthetic mods the following technical mods have been made:

1. Conversion of Carburettor to Fuel Injection on the original engine block.
2. Power Assisted Brakes for improved braking
3. Electronic Power Steering
4. New Air-Con + Heater/ HVAC System
5. New Wiring Harnesses & Electricals
6. Remote Locking/ Unlocking
and many more small technical mods...
Awesome, well thought out and well done!
Restomods are always more fun and if done right (like yours) makes for an interesting ride!
Old 12th May 2017, 22:39   #1762
Distinguished - BHPian

This exceptionally maintained SS80 is up for sale. Asking price is also "exceptional"

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-327058143_1_1000x700_marutisuzuki800petrol77900kms1984yearbhopal.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-327058143_2_1000x700_marutisuzuki800petrol77900kms1984yearuploadphotos.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-327058143_3_1000x700_marutisuzuki800petrol77900kms1984yearmarutisuzuki.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-327058143_4_1000x700_marutisuzuki800petrol77900kms1984yearcars.jpg

Link
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 13:02   #1763
eko
BHPian

Hi, I need a back glass for my SS 80. Any leads ? Will pick up from anywhere in Kerala or Bangalore/ Mysore.Tried some sources given in earlier threads but no luck so far.
Old 13th May 2017, 14:39   #1764
BHPian

Quote:
Pictures of my SS80 recently restored.
That's amazing, thank you for sharing! I have fond memories of this car. When I was a kid we had two of these in the family, one in that exact same shade of red and one in a very chocolatey brown. I particularly loved the rear glass/boot lid. I also remember it had a very distinct noise that it made on start up. I don't know what it was but some sounds just get ingrained in your memory haha, like the old dial-up internet modems
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 17:56   #1765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I need a back glass for my SS 80. Any leads ? Will pick up from anywhere in Kerala or Bangalore/ Mysore.Tried some sources given in earlier threads but no luck so far.
Try the scrap markets in TRICHUR or Quilon
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 14:33   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
So, after a good 29 years and 2 months of ownership, I said a goodbye to it on 25th April 2016.
Oh man.. why did you had to sell that car ?
Moreover it is fantastic looking, all original car.

Your story resembles a lot like mine and we have December 1987 model SB308 with us which I recently re-stored. All original, including the paint, engine and parts - I got lucky with point condenser and could continue using the distributor.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...storation.html

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th July 2017 at 14:53. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please avoid quoting a long post as it inconveniences small screen users.
Cooltronics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 20:19   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Oh man.. why did you had to sell that car ?
Mate, the only major reason - NGT ruling. Being an old pre-Bharat Stage era vehicle, it was a challenge to take her out on the roads even to keep her healthy in running condition. The cops used to stop every now and then eager to impound. Luckily I had all the documentation complete including a valid PUC, thus I would humbly request them(no matter how rudely they'd speak to me or threaten me) to let go on the grounds that I'd not take her out on roads again. But how long? I already did this for more than a year, thinking on the lines that the rules will eventually get relaxed. Honestly, such "one size fit all" rulings will eventually have India loose all the classics no matter how well maintained(indeed that polluting?).

Going a bit off topic, the maiden lot of Audi cars in India will complete 10 years this Aug'17. Will all those expensive beauties with top notch quality be simply scrapped/salvaged for they are oil burners and having completed 10 years are deemed to be hazardous to environment? The fact that the RTO won't extend their registration any further, thus rendering the RC invalid, it'll be interesting to see their fate.

Quote:
Moreover it is fantastic looking, all original car.
Yes, she was still shinning high. All original paint. I myself used to wax her. A head turner she was! I miss her and wish she is doing well wherever she is and being treated well by her master.

Quote:
I got lucky with point condenser and could continue using the distributor.
Believe, I still have some original SGP(Suzuki Genuine Parts) point & condenser lying in my possession, besides the original Nippondenso distributor, brand new MGP Purolator air filter and the oil filter(if not scrapped by my mom). I had started collecting some stuff years back in view that eventually nothing will be available anywhere. Let me know if you need.

That said. No car in my life can ever replace her. Even the quality of that car will put MSIL to shame as to from where did they fall. But then, owning a Maruti back in 80s was way too tough than owning any car today. I feel lucky my dad bought it and my childhood witnessed long drives in that car. Today, I think India has completely transformed in the manner as to how the cars are looked at, owned, maintained, average period of ownership, the competition, the wide spectrum of choice and even the way the manufacturers produce 'em. Thanks.

Quote:
Marvelously done Cooltronics!

Last edited by Nohonking : 6th July 2017 at 20:27.
Nohonking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 21:10   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Mate, the only major reason - NGT ruling. Being an old pre-Bharat Stage era vehicle, it was a challenge to take her out on the roads even to keep her healthy in running condition. The cops used to stop every now and then eager to impound. Luckily I had all the documentation complete including a valid PUC, thus I would humbly request them(no matter how rudely they'd speak to me or threaten me) to let go on the grounds that I'd not take her out on roads again. ...
Never say no to treasures
Please let me know what all u have and can share.
It would help me keep car well.

I somehow have been seeing your car pics since yesterday and one thing got clarified today.
Though yours is also 1987 Model (January) and mine December 1987. There are quite a few changes
a) Tokai Denso got changed to Lumax - Their quality then was equally good
b) Steering logo becomes hindi and not english.
c) Probably some other changes in engine which might be subtle in nature due to localisation.
This solves our doubt Leoshashi why my car has Lumax lights from the beginning and not Tokai Denso - seems change happened sometime in Mid 1987

Last edited by SDP : 7th July 2017 at 21:27. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Cooltronics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 02:25   #1769
Distinguished - BHPian

Got these pics on whatsapp from my good friend Adil.

Presenting pics of 1984 SS80's Owners Manual

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-cover.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-cover1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-01.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-23.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-45.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-67.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-89.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-1011.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-1213.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-1415.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-1617.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-1819.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-2021.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-2223.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-2425.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-2627.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-2829.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-3031.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-3233.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-3435.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-38l.jpg

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-cover-2.jpg

PS: page 36-37 is missing. Will try to upload that ASAP. Have also asked him to scan the manual and I'll put the PDF here.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:32   #1770
BHPian

Few pictures of a car which was once an owner's pride and show case model for any one who aspired to have a parsi love towards car.
The car is gifted to the mechanic who somehow has no means, reason or something else to not wake up this beauty.
I have personally requested him a dozen times to get the car back to life. Planning to talk to my uncle to get it back in shape.
Enjoy the pictures till then
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_7060.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_7061.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_7062.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_7063.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_7064.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_7065.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_7066.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_7067.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_7070.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-img_7074.jpg