Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:11   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Atlast pictures of my SS80 car. Iam sorry for the quality since they were taken from my mobile.
I must say its in a pristine condition. The bumpers and the body seem to be scratchless.
Did u manage to keep it in this condition all these years or have u restored it to this level. I am still anxious to have a look at the rear of the vehicle to see whether those silver strips are still intact or no.

I do see the tyre rims have a feel of fresh silver paint on them and so does the front grill. However its amazing to see how perfectly the front grill and the bumper lines are in place with almost no body gapping and sagging bumper side ends.

I am also an owner of a 1984 model SS80 (Std.) and am all geared to restore it in days to come. All these pics just inspire me to take it up asap.

Cheers and congrats for owning such a marvelous beauty of Indian Automobile Industry.

Ashish
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:43   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks lovely and spotless. Even the wheel wells are showing cleanliness. Usually these and the running boards below the door (door sill) show first signs of rust as water seeps in but does not drain dues to drainage holes getting blocked. If this is attended to then the car can last and last.

95k in 20+ years! That is hardly any driving or - highly unlikely - meter is tampered???!!! 8-)
Old 23rd April 2009, 18:12   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

95k in 20+ years! That is hardly any driving or - highly unlikely - meter is tampered???!!! 8-)
No the meter is not tampered because I have the service records till about 88k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishc100 View Post
Did u manage to keep it in this condition all these years or have u restored it to this level. I am still anxious to have a look at the rear of the vehicle to see whether those silver strips are still intact or no.

Ashish
Thank you Ashish! No the car was purchased by me last year. I just got the mechanicals done and also a coat of paint. The silver strips at the rear are missing but is it possible to get them?
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:34   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No the meter is not tampered because I have the service records till about 88k kms.

Thank you Ashish! No the car was purchased by me last year. I just got the mechanicals done and also a coat of paint. The silver strips at the rear are missing but is it possible to get them?
the car is really neat with a good body line, and lot of new fittings(repro) which is eyecandy.please put some photos of the interior and engine bay.

the silver strips are almost impossible to get in INDIA!!.
By the way your lenses are not TOKAI DENSO by the appearance, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:38   #215
Senior - BHPian

also jai this car seems a reregistered one.Was this by any chance the car owned by the military sardarji named Vijan from Bangalore.?
If yes,please pm me.
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:58   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
lets forget about the names/specs being printed on the front or back or wherever.

fine! maybe seiko made clocks for cars, but it still remains that you had an aftermarket clock which was supposedly a "seiko", and based on that you said that the o.e clock was seiko.

p.s:not here to pick on you., if the clock is boring lets discuss some other part, what were the o.e wiper blades?
Now you want to discuss the wiper blades? Good topic!

It was Syndicate when i got the car.. then tried another make. name i don't remember well. Wiper blade later changed to a brand called "Sondally" or something, which i picked up from Blore, it came in nice blister packing. It fit on the OE old type wiper arms without any probs and did a better job in the rains than syndicate. Bosch etc dint make any blade of the correct length to fit the old type arm. Considered changing the arms to the type 2 style, but dint do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Nice topic...I have issues with my Wipers. They dont clean nice.

As rains are hitting bangalore, I want to replace them, which one should I go for. Original size or any other model's??

Also is there size difference between new 800s & this one?
Yes the length is different. If you are looking for practicality then it's best to change over to type 2 wiper arms and use Bosch wiper blades.

Omni's wiper will work, but they don't cover much area. I found it difficult in heavy rains with Omni blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
what i have noticed with the ss80 wipers is that , over the years the wiper arms do not apply the right amount of pressure on the wiper blades to get a clean wipe. am i right? so the wiper blades just slide on the windscreen in a flimsy way and they dont wipe well enough.
Exactly!! This is one of the reasons i wanted to change to newer arms. I tried looking for an alternative wiper arm spring but couldn't find one.

Jai3033, that's a lovely car mate! Please post some interior and under hood pics.

Last edited by Sankar : 23rd April 2009 at 20:59.
Old 23rd April 2009, 22:21   #217
BHPian

Has anyone here fitted seatbelts ? not the OE , but the regular ones? Tried a few combinations , not been able to find anything suitable yet.
Old 24th April 2009, 00:00   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Atlast pictures of my SS80 car. Iam sorry for the quality since they were taken from my mobile.
Congratz jai, That's a beautiful piece you've got! It looks fabulous! Dx's in this condition are rare!!Regarding the rear strip, i'll send you a Pm.
Old 24th April 2009, 08:38   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat001 View Post
Has anyone here fitted seatbelts ? not the OE , but the regular ones? Tried a few combinations , not been able to find anything suitable yet.
A type 2's retractable type seat belt will fit fine. But the seatbelt spool would not sit inside the b-pillar but outside at the bottom of the b-pillar just behind the front seats. This is what i had on mine.

What combinations did you try?
Old 24th April 2009, 10:31   #220
BHPian

Congrats on a very nice car Jai3033. The painting and tinkering(if there was any) is top notch. Looks like a brand new car. I am not able to make out from the pictures. Does you car have the chrome roof beedings? Also, please post pictures of your interiors like carpets, mats, seats etc.
Old 24th April 2009, 11:24   #221
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a very well maintained set of wheels Jai !
Old 24th April 2009, 12:41   #222
BANNED

Jai , must say your SS80 looks too original, But is the car here in Bengaluru or what?, registration says KA.

Some more pics, of my friends SS80 kicking some serious dirt, with 14 inch alloys and Yokohoma S drives
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-photo.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 24th April 2009 at 12:43.
Old 24th April 2009, 13:57   #223
BHPian

Jai,

That is a really nice maintained car! White paint looks heavy. It has the sparkle of well look paint. Good to see clean & crisp cars!!

May be in future, If you have some spare money, you can look at rim upgrades to alloys & may be some sun film. :-)

Pavan,

Thats a nice set of wheels!! I loved the rims & the tyre combination, gives that racey, edge looks!
Old 24th April 2009, 16:00   #224
BHPian

First thankyou all for the compliments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post

May be in future, If you have some spare money, you can look at rim upgrades to alloys & may be some sun film. :-)
Yes Iam definitely looking at alloys like the one in Santhoshs car but not the sun film since I like the original light green tints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Jai , must say your SS80 looks too original, But is the car here in Bengaluru or what?, registration says KA.
No the car is in Chennai but bought in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Does you car have the chrome roof beedings? Also, please post pictures of your interiors like carpets, mats, seats etc.
Yes it does have the chrome roof beadings on both sides but chipped little at the ends.
Old 24th April 2009, 19:17   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
It looks lovely and spotless. Even the wheel wells are showing cleanliness. Usually these and the running boards below the door (door sill) show first signs of rust as water seeps in but does not drain dues to drainage holes getting blocked. If this is attended to then the car can last and last.

i know this car.it has done only that much kilometers.
sudev, you dont know the way people down south(other than businessmen) use their personal cars.I know of at least 10 cars which have done less than a lakh in the last 20 years.here ,especially in kerala it is a small state with only cities and towns which are separated by very short distances, and also very good railway connectivity,so most people use their cars only for short/medium distances.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks