Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2009, 13:42   #256
Senior - BHPian

The pictures are of a fortuner.

Waiting for it to be launched in India.

I have driven fortuners off road. AL Futtaim Motors - Toyota dealers in UAE gave me two fortuners as service vehicles for my event the Great Escape Desert Adventure, for they sponsor it.

The one I drove had a 4 litre Petrol engine, IGRFE , with a 239 bhp output. The same engine comes in Prado, FJ Cruiser, Landcruiser GXR and Hi Lux twin cab 4x4 pick up.

Fortuner, Innova and Hi Lux are made on the same Chassis.

The fortuner was great offroad in the dunes except that the angle of approach is limited due to a huge plastic front bumper.

Angle of departure suffers because of the spare wheel mounted under the vehicle.

I will ask my marshal Vaughan Sears, who actually drove it in rescue operations on the day of the event to post his analysis.

In UAE it comes with 4 litre V6 or the 2.7 litre 4 cyl. engine which is more popular on city runs. This version is priced Dhs. 92,000 or INR 12 Lakhs 42,000 at current ROE.

In India it will be a 3000 cc Diesel with a Turbo booster. Lets see how it performs off road.
Old 15th June 2009, 20:32   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
People want to buy these old school SUVs and then expect Porche like handling. I don't get it. If you want to create a record in the moose test or slalom, don't get an SUV !
Well the moose test is a safety test not a handling test. But thank you for clearing up. You make an excellent point: If I want a 20 lakh SUV I should also expect to sacrifice any expectations of a safe stable vehicle.
Old 15th June 2009, 21:25   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Well the moose test is a safety test not a handling test. But thank you for clearing up. You make an excellent point: If I want a 20 lakh SUV I should also expect to sacrifice any expectations of a safe stable vehicle.
Buy the Chevy Captiva. 20 lakhs with safety.
Old 16th June 2009, 00:14   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how many of suv owners do you see taking sharp turns or cornering at breakneck speeds?
man i cannot understand whats going on.
when there were rumors of the vehicle coming from almost 4 years and it dint come. people started cribbing .. why is not coming here etc etc. but when finally here people have problem's with the vehicle,its pricing some cannot digest the fact it will be 20+lacs.
some with its cornering ability and some people with its pick up and top speed so that it can be used for drags .
Its an SUV for god's sake. Compare the vehicle to its main competitors The Endeavor and pajero. Can you corner @ 120 in a pajero or an endy? No
please dont compare it to the CRV or a Captiva. For god sakes the CRV is based on the civics platform so definitely it will handle better and will be faster.
but this vehicle can be used off road like its rivals the pajero and the endy.
while the only off road you will go in a CRV is over the pathetic roads/Kaccha roads in Our Country which you cannot call roads.

Last edited by vinaydas : 16th June 2009 at 00:17.
Old 16th June 2009, 03:44   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Its an SUV for god's sake. Compare the vehicle to its main competitors The Endeavor and pajero. Can you corner @ 120 in a pajero or an endy? No
please dont compare it to the CRV or a Captiva. For god sakes the CRV is based on the civics platform so definitely it will handle better and will be faster.
but this vehicle can be used off road like its rivals the pajero and the endy.
while the only off road you will go in a CRV is over the pathetic roads/Kaccha roads in Our Country which you cannot call roads.
I second that. I think our team here has different perspectives for all cars, am sure we all put together can tear to shreds any good quality drive under the sun .

Lets look at the car as a package and pit it against what are logical competitors. If need be create a matrix that will have points for all areas and then decide what car suites our individual needs. I did that sometimes when I was getting confused on certain buys not necessarily cars.
Old 16th June 2009, 15:59   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
To the above post's . An suv is supposed to be driven like an suv.(well unless its a Porsche or a BMW) Its not meant to take on corners very fast. Lets see if any of the indian suvs can do the moose test w/o failing.
btw this video has been posted before and has been proved pointless my other members.
Its not about cornering fast (dunno how many times to say this), its about not rolling over in an emergency manouver and the moose test is done at 60kph.

As for the test's validity, a few blokes posting on a public forum v/s global safety institutes with top engineers and scientists. Gee, tough choice choosing who to believe. And I did search moose test on TBhp and there are plenty of members supporting its validity.

Quote:
Fortuner is no worse that the rest of the competition in it's class.
You will find the same issues with most high clearance body on Frame SUVs without stability control like to Pajero 2.8, Ford Endy, Scropio and Safari.
Maybe you're right; I can't find any evidence supporting or debunking your claim, but is that an excuse for the Fortuner to be unsafe too? Second, the fishtailing issues were at 30 kph on gravel. Think about that for one minute.

Quote:
Buy the Chevy Captiva. 20 lakhs with safety.
You're right bro. Even if we assume the Captiva is a soft roader and therefore less prone to rollover than some competitors, it comes with ARP (Automatic/Active Rollover Protection) which senses a rollover and stops it. If they can give us that tech then so should Toyota, yes? And another old school SUV that earned 4 stars out of 5 in terms of ability to swerve without rolling over: The Grand Vitara. Check out the GV threads. Those owners sure off road their car too.

If you read some of my first posts, I was enthusiatic about this car too. But raising some safety issues provokes responses that are effectively saying SUVs are not supposed to be safe. No wonder car companies get away with what they do in our country
Old 16th June 2009, 17:22   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You're right bro. Even if we assume the Captiva is a soft roader and therefore less prone to rollover than some competitors, it comes with ARP (Automatic/Active Rollover Protection) which senses a rollover and stops it. If they can give us that tech then so should Toyota, yes?
Guess this is settled then. You buy the Captiva, I buy the Fortuner and we both go home with as smile on our face

Quote:
And another old school SUV that earned 4 stars out of 5 in terms of ability to swerve without rolling over: The Grand Vitara. Check out the GV threads.
Small correction mate. The GV is a Unibody construction although it has more off-road hardware like a Full 4WD system with a low range Transfer case unlike the captive and CRV. Hence they are more capable off-road.
Old 16th June 2009, 17:55   #263
Senior - BHPian

@McLaren Rulez: one video doesnt prove a thing. Do you have data of complete test? Each car will roll at some point or the other. Only if we have what overall point’s does fotuner and captiva have respectively then only we can decide on any aspect. Not just one video on youtube. I am sure lot depends on each individual situation and driver’s response, so they might be doing it 5 or 10 times and counting a score. What do you say?
Old 16th June 2009, 18:11   #264
Senior - BHPian

I like the way you think YM! Good post.

I know one vid isn't enough but this was done by a crash safety institute. Euro NCAP doesn't do some models like the Fortuner so this is what I found. I know its definitely not conclusive by any means since we still don't know the Fortuner's India specs. Just raised the issue, nothing more nothing less.

Try googling the words Toyota Fortuner stability and you see the South African model issues of fishtailing. They say Toyota changed the tyres after this but it still persisted.

4x4, I'm not a Fortuner/Captiva buyer yet. If you must know, I'm a student well under 18 but a big car fan!

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 16th June 2009 at 18:13.
Old 16th June 2009, 18:34   #265
R_R
BHPian

Quote:

Small correction mate. The GV is a Unibody construction although it has more off-road hardware like a Full 4WD system with a low range Transfer case unlike the captive and CRV. Hence they are more capable off-road.
I thought the GV has monocoque construction but with built in ladder frame? Does'nt that make it better than most others in that class?
Old 16th June 2009, 20:13   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
I thought the GV has monocoque construction but with built in ladder frame? Does'nt that make it better than most others in that class?
Essentially it does't have a separate chasis. It is possible that it has a built in ladder frame or this maybe just some marketing ploy. I am not an expert on the GV. I just know that it is not on a separate chasis and all heavy duty applications generally are build on a body on chasis set up.
Old 18th June 2009, 16:14   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try googling the words Toyota Fortuner stability and you see the South African model issues of fishtailing. They say Toyota changed the tyres after this but it still persisted.
I guess try googling any other SUV which is of tall stance and there will be multiple cases coming up.
Old 22nd June 2009, 19:34   #268
BHPian

New fortuner pictures

Hi all

we just took delivery of 3 brand new fortuners for our company. Just sharing the pictures hoping that this will be of interest. Sorry for the horrible pictures because i am a very bad photographer
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-image003.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-image004.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-image005.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-image006.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-image007.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-image009.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-image010.jpg  

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-image011.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2009, 22:14   #269
BHPian

Seeing your location I was wondering as to how could you get hold of the Fortuner when it was to be launched in September and then I see the registration plates.

Anyways. Congrats. Drive safe.

Whats the "SRS" badge at the back?

Last edited by swift8847 : 22nd June 2009 at 22:21.
Old 22nd June 2009, 22:15   #270
Senior - BHPian

its dubai reg vehicle
congrats and lovely pics btw.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks