Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: When is Fiat India going to shut down?
2005 : They cant survive any longer. 22 9.05%
2006 25 10.29%
2007 or in the whereabouts. 21 8.64%
I dont agree. Fiat India is here to stay - They will pull off a miracle. 175 72.02%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2005, 22:43   #91
BHPian

Have you noticed something??? even if the company were to stop production some models will live on and on and on and people will swear by them no matter what like the premier padmini and OHC. instead of thinking what if fiat shuts down operations think of it like the model no longer in production.

frankly i dont even bother following up this thread. why? beacuse i dont care whether fiat india lives or dies. the GTX will live on... Period.
Old 29th April 2005, 23:15   #92
BANNED

Hey Harrie,
I agree with you the GTX will live the life of the Mclaren F1. After stopping production some time back it is still the fastest hatch on road today.
Old 30th April 2005, 22:58   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
Ok.Here is the page I scanned from Overdrive. Now dont say the Page is misleading
Another interesting fact here.
Fiat has managed to better its market share(midsize) from .59% in 2003-04 to .85% in 2004-05. I would say this is quite an achievement especially when the company cares a damn to improve its sales figures. Based on this fact one can debate that Fiat is in recovery mode.
Hence my humble request to all of you "not to read much into those monthly/quarterly/yearly sales figures".

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 30th April 2005 at 23:00.
Old 1st May 2005, 01:49   #94
BHPian

Regarding these figures one should also consider the no. of models offered by Maruti, Hyundai etc.

In my opinion, the sales figures of Hyundai Getz, Fiat Palio and Corsa Sail should be considered ONLY for the comparison. because
1. They fall in same segment.
2. Fiat doesn't have a product to compete with M800, Alto, Zen etc. So there is no point considering sales figures of these cars for comparison.

I am very sure Fiat Palio would be a winner if we compare sales figures of Palio, Getz and Corsa Sail only. And may be we can add Swift to this list once its launched.

I luv this thread.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 1st May 2005 at 01:53.
Old 1st May 2005, 12:20   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz
I am very sure Fiat Palio would be a winner if we compare sales figures of Palio, Getz and Corsa Sail only. And may be we can add Swift to this list once its launched.
You are forgetting the Indica, the winner !

Last edited by Stratos : 1st May 2005 at 12:22.
Old 1st May 2005, 12:51   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
You are forgetting the Indica, the winner !
There you go. http://www.business-standard.com/com...&autono=187076
Indica is not considered as a Premium A2 segment car. Moreover we were discussing the "poor" sales figures of Palio. If we consider Indica to be a Premium A2 segment car and assume its a winner.... still Palio beats Getz, Corsa and Fusion... not sure about Indica figures. Who is the winner is not the point here. The point is Fiat is not doing as badly as it is made out to be, especially when you consider various manufacturers efforts to sell their products and the kind of negative publicity Fiat enjoys, Bad ASS, lack of management etc etc. Lets stop criticising Fiat just for the sake of it. Thats it.

Disclaimer:
I don't own any Fiat vehicle. My dad has a Premier Padmini though.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 1st May 2005 at 12:56.
Old 10th May 2005, 10:33   #97
BANNED

Fiat to post its first profit in three years

MAY 9: Fiat SpA, Italy’s biggest manufacturer, may report the first profit in 14 quarters tomorrow after chief executive Sergio Marchionne received $2 billion from General Motors Corp to end a failing car-making alliance.

Fiat, based in Turin, Italy, probably will post net income of 650 million euros ($836 million), compared with a loss of 194 million euros a year earlier, according to the median estimate of seven analysts surveyed by Bloomberg News

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_f...ntent_id=90460
Old 10th May 2005, 16:00   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Allright.
Things are beggining to look bright for FIAT now.
Old 10th May 2005, 16:26   #99
Senior - BHPian

Number of people, thinking that Fiat is not going to close the shop in India, is much higher than cumulative figure of people thinking of Fiat closure in 2005/6/7. Just an observation!
Old 10th May 2005, 16:27   #100
BHPian

Gtx

guys,

I am thinking of buying the GTX.
I enquired at TVS in Chennai and GTX is christened as 1.6 sports.
some, 530,000 ruppees.

The only problem that the 1.2ELX has is its poor pick up.
after driving fusion, I am treating the palio like a toy car, going in and out of traffic and having fun

I plan to hire a lorry sooner and after that, i can drive the fusion with abandon.
FIAT>
it surely will live on.
Old 10th May 2005, 16:34   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
guys,

I am thinking of buying the GTX.
I enquired at TVS in Chennai and GTX is christened as 1.6 sports.
some, 530,000 ruppees.

The only problem that the 1.2ELX has is its poor pick up.
after driving fusion, I am treating the palio like a toy car, going in and out of traffic and having fun

I plan to hire a lorry sooner and after that, i can drive the fusion with abandon.
FIAT>
it surely will live on.
I am also planning on trading my 1.2 ELX with 1.6 sport sometime later. As you said, 1.2 lacks power. I felt it a lot last weekend when there were 5 people in my car and I was driving from Bangalore to Hosur with AC on. The car needed a lot of prodding to perform on the highway. 1.6 with its seemless power would have done the trick effortlessly I guess.
Old 10th May 2005, 19:03   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for it guys,
You will not regret it for a really really long time.
The stable feel it offers at 3 digit speeds is just amazing.
The only grouch is that it is not as comfortable but a much better handler then the 1.2 thanks to a firmer suspension.
Old 10th May 2005, 19:30   #103
Senior - BHPian

I have NV. I guess NV runs on a stiffer suspension as compared to 1.2 ELX old Palio.
Old 10th May 2005, 19:33   #104
BHPian

More than any improvement in sales figures or new launches or re-launches, for me, the one indicator that FIAT India is here to stay will be some clear direction and statement from FIAT SPA. Fact of the matter is, in their global website, India is still not included in the list of countries where FIAT has manufacturing facilities, nor is there any mention on the current status of FIAT India.

Absence of any mention of its Indian operations on its global website is far more worrisome to me than FIAT India's website being down.

For the record, I do believe FIAT India will pull it off and I have voted as such. And i don't think it needs a miracle, it needs some good hard decisions and corrective action on a war footing. I don't think anyone here feels Nissan had a miracle. Carlos Ghosn made it happen.
Old 10th May 2005, 20:49   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
Absence of any mention of its Indian operations on its global website is far more worrisome to me than FIAT India's website being down.
Well the fiat-india.com domain expires on May 30, 2005. So lets wait and watch. Just a matter of few days.

Hey and I become a BHPian with that post.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 10th May 2005 at 20:56.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed