Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2014, 23:01   #2221
BHPian

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

In case you haven't seen the link before.. http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...ing-board.html

Here's one with the updated price of Shell fuel prices.
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:12   #2222
Senior - BHPian

Tanked up at Shell BSIII Rs. 79.80
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:10   #2223
BHPian

It's more of perception maybe but I tend to visit Shell more often than any other.
I did not know they price fuel daily though. Wouldn't the government mind doing something like that?
Old 7th July 2014, 11:49   #2224

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
My Grande Punto Sports has been on Shell Diesel except for the complimentary fuel that is filled when the car is first driven out of the showroom. This is a Nov'2013 purchase. This is my first diesel car & I haven't run it on PSU diesels to help differentiate but not long ago, I drove a friends Indica Vista & considerable difference I can spot is that the engine clatter is considerably lower & emission (black soot) seems next to negligible.

Since you mention DDiS, which is but FIAT 1.3 MJD, I suppose your experience should be no different than mine (except that you may get better mileage based on state of tune of your engine - 75bhp in Swift & Dzire)
Hi Tabrez, You meant that your car on Shell Diesel had considerably less engine clatter and emission - correct? Which engine did the Vista have? (Quadrajet or TDI?)

I have a Vista TDI that has done over 60,000 km. Bought a '97 model M800 an year ago - oh it's so cute and fun to drive!

I have seen remarkable differences in quality and quantity of fuel from PSU dealers in Bangalore. While the BTM Layout COCO IOC Pump seems to be consistent with quantity, quality and mileage, several other pumps cheat you with the common tricks such as diversion, quality etc. A common trick is that you'll say "1000" from the driver's seat. They will fill for 400 or so and stop. If you are naive, you will be nice, and correct them "No - I said 1000". And they will fill up for another 600 - without resetting to 0! You can try arguing with them out of a hunch and finally pay 1000 for 600 Rs of Fuel and head to the nearest computer to write a review.
There is a COCO Pump of BP near Jal Bhavan, opposite to HDFC Bank in Bannerghatta Road. (near Jayadeva Hospital, towards Dairy Circle). It has a Good Year Tyre sales/service point attached to it. I would assume that their fuel quality is good. However once I was shocked when the attendants there tried the same trick. Yet, I'd like to believe that their quality and quantity should be better, being a COCO - just that I will be extra careful next time.
Any fuel pump near Electronic City is laden with pathetic reviews in Google Maps and my experience has been no different.
Advaita at BTM seems to give more diesel per diesel - their meters showed (and billed for) 37.5 liters once though I have a 35 liter tank with already enough fuel left in it so as not to show the amber low fuel indicator. Not sure if others had the same experience.
I used to fill up from Diesel from BP pump inside Electronic City phase 1. The Authorized Service Center guys once asked me to change the pump. They said that they can smell a lot of Kerosene while replacing the fuel filter or something.

Shell Petrol seems to give a smooth feel - I've been using it from the Bommanahalli pump regularly. It is probably 50-60 paise cheaper than PSU pumps.
Shell Diesel - now the difference has come down to under 4 Rs and hence it may be worth a try. I am due for a full tank and will probably try it this time. Nevertheless, I have been getting beautiful results from IOC COCO Pumps, HP (McD & CCD) in Shoolagiri and the BPs with Adayar Ananda Bhavan attached in Shoolagiri and Thoppur. IOC COCO in Palakkad, Kerala, beside the Calicut Bypass near Chandranagar has been my favorite. Cards accepted 24-hrs, Nitro and I have always gotten 20ish kmpls on regular diesel.

To conclude, COCO PSUs have been good for me for Diesel. Other dealers have always invoked suspicion and bad results such as reduced mileage, smoke or quantity issues.
Shell Diesel - Yet to try. With differences under 4 Rs, a full tank only adds around Rs. 120 to the fuel bill, which is definitely worth for the peace of mind and service. However, I am concerned if Shell Diesel will be less liked by Vista's TDI.
Petrol - Shell fuel feels smooth, cheaper now and unbeatable service - hence no need to look elsewhere. PSU pumps other than COCOs are a big no no for me.
Old 7th July 2014, 16:03   #2225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefeeqyr View Post
Hi Tabrez, You meant that your car on Shell Diesel had considerably less engine clatter and emission - correct?
hello Shefeeqyr,
you're right. My Punto with 1.3 MJD seems relatively quieter & less polluting compared
to the friends Vista, running PSU diesel.

Quote:
Which engine did the Vista have? (Quadrajet or TDI?)
If memory serves me right, then it was Quadrajet model. He had bought a pre-owned vehicle but was sparingly used by it's previous owner.

Quote:
While the BTM Layout COCO IOC Pump seems to be consistent with quantity, quality and mileage
I will concur with you on this one. I regularly fill my two-wheeler from the Bunk. Except for one occasion when one of the attendants tried to pull a quick one on me, identical to the incident you narrate below from BP COCO Pump beside Jal-Bhavan (opp. Subramanya Arcade).

Quote:
Advaita at BTM seems to give more diesel per diesel - their meters showed (and billed for) 37.5 liters once though I have a 35 liter tank with already enough fuel left in it so as not to show the amber low fuel indicator. Not sure if others had the same experience.
I will agree with you on this one again - similar experience.

Quote:
Shell Diesel - now the difference has come down to under 4 Rs and hence it may be worth a try.
You could also try the newly opened Shell Pump near Sarjapur, ORR. It is opposite
to GenPact office, in same lane as Ecospace (AOL).

Quote:
However, I am concerned if Shell Diesel will be less liked by Vista's TDI.
I've occasionally seen Vento/Polo at the Shell Diesel counters - if that allays your fear to
an extent.
Old 11th July 2014, 12:43   #2226
BHPian

Branded fuel prices have been slashed by Rs. 5 in the budget. Here's the link to the news article on NDTV.

Can anybody help me with answers for the questions below

1. Will this also reduce the premium fuel prices at Shell?
2. By when would these changes be applicable?
Old 11th July 2014, 12:47   #2227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basoli View Post
Branded fuel prices have been slashed by Rs. 5 in the budget. Here's the link to the news article on NDTV.

I don't think shell will reduce fuel prices by Rs 5. That would kill the State owned brands
Old 11th July 2014, 13:22   #2228
Senior - BHPian

What would the term BRANDED mean? Are all the premier ones called branded and why only a reduction in taxes for Branded?
Old 11th July 2014, 14:07   #2229
BHPian

I think these apply to the 'Super' varieties of the fuels that were supposed to improve mileage and engine performance. Every one (IOC, BP, and Shell) 'had' these varieties.
Old 11th July 2014, 14:35   #2230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basoli View Post

BY "branded", the TV/ newspaper guys mean petrol with additives. eg. Speed by BP.
Shell is not a better "brand" than HP/ BP/ IOC/ Reliance as per their definition.

Regular Shell petrol will continue to cost the same.
Old 11th July 2014, 16:55   #2231
Distinguished - BHPian

Price difference between Shell normal and Shell super was about Rs. 10/- when I last filled up. That's nearly 12.50%. I have filled super several times and have never noticed any difference. Be it engine smoothness or mileage. Yes the additives help clean the injectors, which is why I choose to fill up Super once in a blue moon for highway drives hoping to keep the injectors clean.

Nowadays the attendants at these Shell pumps really get on my nerves. When you ask for normal petrol they start marketing Shell super saying it will give better mileage, better this, better that blah blah blah. Some of the attendants are really persistent. They just don't give up! When you refuse , there's a "why sir?" "You will surely benefit sir". Nowadays I have a premeditated excuse for avoiding super : Anything other than normal petrol is banned by Skoda. And then a guy comes up and says "open the bonnet sir" as if it is compulsory. When asked why, he says he will do a '"free check up". All this when all I want is 20 litres of normal fuel and get going. Once I even agreed just for the heck of it. He shows me the dipstick and says the oil is black and needs to replaced. I said Skoda has banned me from filling oil also from outside
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 17:19   #2232
Senior - BHPian

My scooter has been on Shell regular for a while now and even I have been asked about the super more than once. I always tell them, you reduce the price, I will fill it. They just keep quite post that. This is for a FULL TANK of about 5 liters of petrol.
Old 11th July 2014, 17:44   #2233
Distinguished - BHPian

One Shell attendant offered to fill half tank super and half tank normal petrol which I politely refused.
Old 11th July 2014, 19:50   #2234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Nowadays the attendants at these Shell pumps really get on my nerves. When you ask for normal petrol they start marketing Shell super saying it will give better mileage, better this, better that blah blah blah. Some of the attendants are really persistent. They just don't give up! When you refuse , there's a "why sir?" "You will surely benefit sir". Nowadays I have a premeditated excuse for avoiding super : Anything other than normal petrol is banned by Skoda. And then a guy comes up and says "open the bonnet sir" as if it is compulsory. When asked why, he says he will do a '"free check up". All this when all I want is 20 litres of normal fuel and get going. Once I even agreed just for the heck of it. He shows me the dipstick and says the oil is black and needs to replaced. I said Skoda has banned me from filling oil also from outside
The moment I stop, I tell them normal petrol full tank and please dont talk anymore. Works for me
Old 11th July 2014, 19:54   #2235
Team-BHP Support

Yeah noticed this trend with the guys marketing super. I didn't have to face it as my driver got out told the guy in local language to keep quiet and just fill the fuel. lol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks