Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2013, 21:54   #2071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread !!

The price difference between ULP and SULP is now Rs 8.50 per lie. Earlier it was around Rs 2.50 only. When the price difference opened up to this extent, I expected a lot of people to stop patronizing SULP and switch to ULP.

But that does not seem to be happening. Most of the customers who were opting for SULP earlier (including me) still seem to be sticking with it. That includes many TVS 50 owners too!
Old 11th September 2013, 12:41   #2072
BHPian

If the manufacturer recommends ULP, how much of a benefit are you seeing from using SULP? Curious to know.
Old 11th September 2013, 13:13   #2073
Senior - BHPian

^^ About 2 - 3 KMPL + noticeably smoother engine in my bike. For that reason I have never used ULP in my car, from the day it was bought!

But this Shell SULP is the same RON as normal ULP. All premium fuels are, except Speed 97. Higher RON than what is recommended by engine maker is not advisable.
Old 11th September 2013, 13:19   #2074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Higher RON than what is recommended by engine maker is not advisable.
Why so, can you elaborate. I am curious to know. By the way People convert to LPG and CNG and they have octane no of approx 100 for LPG and around 120 for the CNG. So now you mean we cannot use LPG or CNG in cars.
Old 11th September 2013, 13:27   #2075
Senior - BHPian

I have no experience with LPG or CNG. But I am sure their higher RON is taken care of in such cars when they are outfitted in the factory. I don't know about aftermarket conversions.

All I know is higher RON petrol in a lower compression engine may cause pinging.
Old 11th September 2013, 14:43   #2076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

All I know is higher RON petrol in a lower compression engine may cause pinging.
I think pinging or knocking happens when you use low octane fuel in a high compression engine.

I knew for a fact that using a higher than recommended octane rating gives no advantage as such, but I did not know that it also had adverse effects. Apparently the mileage drops, as the low compression engine struggles to burn the high octane stuff effectively, resulting in higher fuel consumption to produce the same amount of power

Google threw up this article for me http://www.whatcouldbegreener.com/14...will-cost-you/

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 11th September 2013 at 14:50.
Old 11th September 2013, 15:00   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
^^ About 2 - 3 KMPL + noticeably smoother engine in my bike. For that reason I have never used ULP in my car, from the day it was bought!

But this Shell SULP is the same RON as normal ULP. All premium fuels are, except Speed 97. Higher RON than what is recommended by engine maker is not advisable.
Struggling to understand:

1) If Shell SULP and ULP are the same RON, then what is the difference between them?

2) How can SULP fuel give 2-3 KMPL more?

Thanks.
Old 11th September 2013, 15:45   #2078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Struggling to understand:

1) If Shell SULP and ULP are the same RON, then what is the difference between them?

2) How can SULP fuel give 2-3 KMPL more?

Thanks.
1) SULP is nothing but ULP mixed with certain additives. These additives are chemical formulations that prevent build up of deposits on your injectors. They also claim to remove deposits that have built up over time. Clean injectors help burn fuel more efficiently. That's the theory behind any branded fuel, be it Shell Super, BP speed, HP Power or IOC Premium.

2) I'll let Gansan answer this. But in my honest opinion 2~3 kmpl more is a bit optimistic. It could very well be a placebo. If you ask me its advisable to tank up with these additive mixed fuel once in a while (esp for highway runs) so that it keeps the injectors clean. Be warned some mfrs are very specific against use of additive mixed fuel, while some specifically recommend it.

These branded fuels used to cost about 2 to 3 Rs. more than normal. But nowadays the price difference is quite high. Many PSU pumps have stopped stocking them due to decreased demand.

Edit : Just read Gansan's post. Sorry my bad, I thought you were getting 2~ 3 kmpl from your car!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 11th September 2013 at 16:03.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 15:49   #2079
Senior - BHPian

It is said to contain some proprietary additives for keeping the engine clean and improve efficiency. They don't reveal what it is.

What I do know is, it works. I have done quite a few back to back tests of ULP and SULP in my bike when the Shell pump opened in my area six years ago. Because the difference is easily measurable in a bike than in a car.

I have been sticking to it ever since. I bought my car afterwards, and it too has been on the same diet from day one!

I also have a suspicion, though I am not sure of this, that all premium petrol - not necessarily Shell - may have less or zero ethanol content, as opposed to normal ones.

@Santoshbhat

After all, 2 - 3 KMPL more in a bike which returns 60+ KMPL is not a big deal! Just about 4% overall! In cars it will be much less.

I love the smoothness more than the slight increase in FE!

My car being an Alto, can gulp down any fuel and not be too fussy about it! Anyway I checked with the workshop manager while taking delivery of the car and he said "Normal petrol is enough; but you can use premium if you want, no issues!".

I have found the premium petrol (any petrol) bought from any good PSU pump to be as good as the one from Shell. Problem is finding one!

Last edited by Gansan : 11th September 2013 at 15:57.
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 15:58   #2080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I think pinging or knocking happens when you use low octane fuel in a high compression engine.

I knew for a fact that using a higher than recommended octane rating gives no advantage as such, but I did not know that it also had adverse effects. Apparently the mileage drops, as the low compression engine struggles to burn the high octane stuff effectively, resulting in higher fuel consumption to produce the same amount of power
Low quality fuel is one of the reasons for pinging, but there can be other factors as well which could cause it to happen such as Deposits on the cylinder walls , wrong spark plugs etc.

Using higher octane in a car not designed for one all the time i believe can lead to inefficient burning thus resulting in carbon deposits.
Old 11th September 2013, 16:04   #2081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Google threw up this article for me http://www.whatcouldbegreener.com/14...will-cost-you/
Thanks for the link; it confirmed what I already knew. It also states clearly:

Quote:
There is no more energy to be had from high octane gasoline, then [sic] from low octane gasoline.
The only way Gansan can get more mileage is because his engine is cleaner from using SULP and more efficient as a result.
Old 11th September 2013, 16:19   #2082
BHPian

Can someone direct me to the nearest shell petrol pump in Navi Mumbai?
In their website they show one in Nerul but I haven't seen one there.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 11th September 2013, 19:54   #2083
BHPian

Is Shell Diesel recommended at 66+ rupees a liter? Is it worth paying Rs. 500 for every tankfull? I don't mind shelling that out 'only if' my car feels better!
Old 11th September 2013, 20:53   #2084
Senior - BHPian

^^ Try a tankful. Don't take anyone's word. If you like it, continue. The "worth" differs from person to person!
Old 11th September 2013, 21:17   #2085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Is Shell Diesel recommended at 66+ rupees a liter? Is it worth paying Rs. 500 for every tankfull? I don't mind shelling that out 'only if' my car feels better!
It's not worth. Period.
India is changing and so is the lifestyle. Most of them change cars every 5-7 years, and gone are the days when cars were for lifetime.
I don't think spending additional amount at shell will matter for your car. As it is, we get taxed from all corners, and taking advantage of subsidy by BP, HP, or Indane isn't a crime. Shell is selling with no subsidy, while others give you subsidized fuel.
My comments will change if it's petrol. I always fill from Shell since my car runs on petrol. I appreciate shell for additional service and cleanliness, but won't pay more for that.
Go with company run BP OR HP bunks, it will be fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks