Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2016, 15:28   #2641
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
A new shell fuel station in Bengaluru on Uttarahalli-Kengeri road opposite to JSS engg. College is open it seems. Today evening i got the following sms
Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Yes It's operational
Takes the count to 83. Info received from Shell:

Quote:
Shell India today announced the opening of its fuel station in the Uttarahalli area of Bengaluru city. The latest development takes Shell’s total operational fuel stations in India to 83, of which 30 are in Karnataka. With the opening of the Uttarahalli fuel station, Shell now has 28 fuel stations in Bengaluru. Shell is currently present across the six key states of Gujarat, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh & Assam.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 07:15   #2642
Senior - BHPian

Shell diesel is @85ps costlier than regular diesel. Plus the hassle to go there. Is the premium justified? I do agree Shell petrol is better and it matters to your engine, but is there any benefit in shell diesel?
Old 31st August 2016, 07:40   #2643
Distinguished - BHPian

The one big problem at Shell bunks continues to be the "lack" of regular petrol. Till date, the attendants used to at least tell the status. But on Monday, at the Vittal Mallya rd bunk, the attendant did not even care to say it was not regular petrol.

Looks like the attendants do not know that these practices are discussed outside the bunks.
Old 31st August 2016, 08:45   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Shell diesel is @85ps costlier than regular diesel.
Recent difference in Pune is only 11 paisa, 54.40 at Shell as against 54.29 at PSU.
Quote:
but is there any benefit in shell diesel?
Engine sound is definitely quieter with Shell diesel, have noticed this on multiple occasions.
Old 31st August 2016, 08:56   #2645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shell diesel is @85ps costlier than regular diesel. Plus the hassle to go there. Is the premium justified? I do agree Shell petrol is better and it matters to your engine, but is there any benefit in shell diesel?
85p is a small premium to pay if you are getting peace of mind. I fill (petrol) exclusively at Shell or COCOs because they at least don't try to rip you off by short fuelling, adulteration and other nonsense. Truth be told there isn't any discernible difference between Shell fuel and a trusted PSU pump.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 10:06   #2646
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I do agree Shell petrol is better and it matters to your engine, but is there any benefit in shell diesel?
I think the only benefit will be purity of fuel. Petrols are okay, but modern diesels are incredibly sensitive to fuel quality. Adulterated diesel can kill them. If there was a Shell close to my place, I'd fill from there only. Hope one opens soon .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Engine sound is definitely quieter with Shell diesel, have noticed this on multiple occasions.
Placebo effect, buddy. There is no way Shell or any other diesel can make your diesel engine quieter. It's impossible.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 10:40   #2647
BHPian

I have to say I am disappointed with Shell Diesel quality. I fill 2 diesel cars regularly and earlier I used to be staunch Shell fan but when i realised I am getting more black smoke from my cars whenever I fill diesel from any one of the three Shell pumps I took a chance to try out COCO ( company operated company owned) IOC at Koramangala and later HP near Bagmane tech park and the black smoke syndrome reduced considerably. In fact I did not doubt the quality of the diesel fuel till I had complained to service advisor and asked them to check the exhaust and MAP sensor and they cleaned the sensor and I was told now the smoke should not appear but I found that fuel from shell pumps still caused black smoke emission. Change in fuel to COCO pumps now prove in some manner that quality of Diesel from Shell, I can't trust anymore
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 11:00   #2648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
I have to say I am disappointed with Shell Diesel quality. I fill 2 diesel cars regularly and earlier I used to be staunch Shell fan but when i realised I am getting more black smoke from my cars whenever I fill diesel from any one of the three Shell pumps ....
This is the second time I am hearing such an opinion. Such an opinion was seen circulating in one of the whatsapp groups. Thats was a personal experience, not a fwd.
i havent noticed any black smoke from my car yet (well, have not seen anyone else driving my car ). My I notice that the car runs a bit rough when filling up from Shell.
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 19:09   #2649
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Call it hard luck or whatever , my Etios engine refused to fire after I had filled in Shell Diesel.

Injector#1 had gone kaput.Was this due to a diesel leak which resulted in the injector failure OR was it a fuel quality related issue?Difficult to say.

At the Toyota A.S.S , there was a fuel filter damage reported in an Innova that had been tanking up only at Shell.

Anyways , I am a regular at a trusted BPCL bunk close by ; but every time I stop this car to fill up , I pray.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 20:57   #2650
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I fill (petrol) exclusively at Shell or COCOs because they at least don't try to rip you off by short fuelling, adulteration and other nonsense. Truth be told there isn't any discernible difference between Shell fuel and a trusted PSU pump.
True, I too prefer Shell for the sheer peace of mind factor above all else. One doesn't have to constantly watch out for the dirty tricks that're commonplace at shady pumps.

Another reason I'm a regular at Shell is that they have fairly clean, usable restrooms & wash basins with running water, liquid soap, mirror etc. and drinking water from bubble-top cans. They also clean your windshield for free. These are little basic things that go a long way in customer service.

In terms of fuel, I find no difference between the regular petrol sold at Shell or Essar or good PSU pumps.

Shell's V-Power, however, does provide a small but noticeable difference to engine performace. But I feel the premium they ask for this little improvement in performance (~ Rs. 8 per litre) is a bit too much for petrol with the same octane rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If there was a Shell close to my place, I'd fill from there only. Hope one opens soon.
I hope they start expanding as well. I think they're currently the smallest oil marketing company with way fewer pumps than other private players like Reliance or Essar (maybe because Shell doesn't have its own refinery in India).

I don't know why, but no driver or rider has any complaint whatsoever with Shell petrol, and are very happy loyalists and word-of-mouth advertisers for Shell!

On the other hand, not all Shell diesel users seem to be happy (for there are other similar experiences to the ones posted above). This certainly leaves me flummoxed.

Last edited by RSR : 7th September 2016 at 21:27.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 21:11   #2651
BHPian

I was filling up my Swift Diesel at Shell for over 2 years. Thought there are no complaints as my wife, who drives the car daily said everything was OK. Only problem I used to observe whenever I got the chance to drive the car was excessive smoke. I used to complain at the MASS and they used to say everything is OK.

Recently, I started using this car as my daily driver. Considering that the car had run only 65k km in over 8 years of use, I observed some light blue smoke at cold starts and that the car was always spewing black smoke even on mild acceleration. I then got the engine oil changed to 15W40 mineral oil from the 5W40 synthetic oil. This reduced the blue smoke on cold starts but the black smoke issue was still there. It was so much that I decided to sell the car if it wasn't able to clear the emission control test.

Then I came across this thread. I thought I will try out a COCO PSU bunk before taking drastic decisions like selling the car. Tanked up from IOC on Monday. Have run only 15km from then but appears that smoke is reduced now. Will check further for a few tankfuls before updating here again.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 21:19   #2652
BHPian

Quote:
My two cents on this, whether it is diesel or petrol both the products are supplied by Indian refineries and the same is ferried in tankers to all the outlets whether Shell or other private sellers. Let us not forget that Shell in India is just a marketing company and they are not into any other leg of manufacturing processes. So, it is as GTO says more of an placebo effect than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think the only benefit will be purity of fuel. Petrols are okay, but modern diesels are incredibly sensitive to fuel quality. Adulterated diesel can kill them. If there was a Shell close to my place, I'd fill from there only. Hope one opens soon .
I beg to differ slightly on this GTO (on purity), gone are the days where one could sell adulterated fuel in all the fuel stations. I can at least vouch for the bunks in tier I and II cities who are all automated and are using latest pumps, ATGs, tanks, and latest tech-driven processes that have made monitoring easier for the agencies due to which adulteration has been totally stopped. Even the usual solvents that were used to adulterate cost more today negating the profit thereby driving the culprits away from adulterating. Only outlets which can are the ones which still have the old, outdated, and manual pumps. These may be operating in mofussil areas or really, really backward or extremely low-populated areas. Of course, there are bunks which still under-fill or try to short-change the customers but even these are reducing by the day due to the addition of private players, opening up of more outlets which use sophisticated technology, and complete automation causing immense competition. Add to these, the customer awareness is more today with new-age tools like Team-BHP, whatsapp, facebook, and other social and mircoblogging sites.

Last edited by sumzup : 7th September 2016 at 21:21. Reason: more clarity
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 18:18   #2653
Senior - BHPian

It looks like Toyota does not approve of Shell diesel for its vehicles. The day before I had been to the Lanson Toyota showroom to take delivery of the new Innova Crysta which my uncle has bought. While explaining the features of the car et al, the topic of fuel came up and the sales person insisted that we do not fill Shell diesel stating that it was not recommended by Toyota and instead suggested we fill up at BP. This came to me as a shocker because I fill Shell (petrol, of course) for my cars and am extremely happy with it. The reason given for not recommending Shell diesel was to do with the viscosity levels of the same according to him. Not sure what the exact issue here is. Does anyone have any such feedback from any Toyota dealers ?
Old 6th November 2016, 22:42   #2654
BHPian

I've been using Shell for a while now but had never tried V-Power. Today for a change I thought of trying it on my Octavia 1.8 TSI which has so far run 3400 kms with a highway mileage of about 14 kmpl as per the MFD on the head unit.

I did a short highway run on NICE road in Bangalore after refueling and to my surprise saw the mileage numbers constantly increasing till it reached 17 kmpl after about 25 kms in highway conditions. This was a very pleasant surprise since it's not something I had not expected though the staff at Shell generally keep pestering about V-Power. Traffic conditions were normal and I was doing speeds of 80 to 100 kmph with 2 adults and 1 child in the car with the AC on all the time.

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-shell-vpower.jpg

I'm now wondering if Shell V-Power does indeed have some benefits in terms of better fuel economy apart from other claimed benefits of cleaning engines and related. Of course I need to try this a little longer before jumping to any conclusions on switching to V-Power but I have a couple of questions to fellow BHPians and experts

1. Does usage of Shell V-Power result in better fuel economy?

2. Skoda recommends higher octane fuel but also says its ok to use regular petrol with a slight loss in power. Apart from loss in power, does regular petrol on the 1.8 TSI result in lower fuel economy?
Old 6th November 2016, 23:33   #2655
Distinguished - BHPian

I never had a chance to fill in Shell pump and I'll prefer a Shell pump only for petrol. Since I read that most new gen diesel engines are preferred to run on normal diesel, it doesn't make any sense to pay the premium for nothing.

As for tampering, you just need a reputed pump (not difficult to find out) or fill up from COCO.

From a friend of mine who owned an Esteem, she said she used to manage an 18 kmpl for her petrol engine and we all were dumbstruck. This is the major reason why am tilted to Shell petrol, but unfortunately, there are no outlets around to try this out for my GTX.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks