Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2013, 15:38   #1891
BHPian

Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
The service at the Shell Graphite India outlet is worse than the PSU outlets of late. Their air pressure checking facility does not work even at 7:45 AM even though they open at 7:00 AM. For the past 2 visits, I could not check the air pressure. Today I asked the attendant and he was totally indifferent I went in to their office and complained and they too were indifferent. Has anyone else encountered this?

From what I can remember, their air pressure checking has not been an option for the last 3 yrs. Everytime I tanked up, I was always told that the air pressure unit is "under maintenance". After a while I stopped asking and consequently, stopped filling up there.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:52   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey645 View Post
From what I can remember, their air pressure checking has not been an option for the last 3 yrs. Everytime I tanked up, I was always told that the air pressure unit is "under maintenance". After a while I stopped asking and consequently, stopped filling up there.
I filled up air at Shell 3 weeks back. Every time they tell you that it will take half an hour to the pressure to build up but I insist and get it done. Today also I tried the same but they were indifferent.
Old 7th February 2013, 17:53   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is the Difference between Shell Unleaded/Super Unleaded BSIII & BSIV petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
The difference between Shell Unleaded & Super Unleaded is the extra additives in the fuel Super Unleaded. These mixtures are pretty closely guarded secrets & details are not easy to come by.

For normal unmodified healthy engine, buy normal fuel 90% of the time & Super Unleaded 10% of the time as this will 'apperently' clean the carbon deposits on the valves (as advertised). I have tried both & found no discernable difference between the two. Shell won't be given to 'useless' advertising so I believe there will be 'some' benefit to the engine.
Here is a food for thought. I was using the regular non-Shell petrol in my Pulsar 150 for quite sometime and I was facing a problem with engine dying down on idlying. For the first 30 mins of riding or so, whenever I stopped at a signal, it would just cut off. Increasing the idlying RPM helped a bit, but after the 30 mins are over, the engine would be revving at around 3k RPM when idlying. The guys at service center were also clueless (or didnt care).

Then 1 day I decided to give Shell "super" unleaded a try. After filling a full tank and riding it for a month, never faced the problem of engine dying till date *touch wood*.

I dont know any internals of the engine and dont know how it helped.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 12:22   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I filled up air at Shell 3 weeks back. Every time they tell you that it will take half an hour to the pressure to build up but I insist and get it done. Today also I tried the same but they were indifferent.
I've had similar problems at the Rajkumar Road outlet for years. I complained several times. The Air pump goes crazy once in a while (the reading fluctuates from very low to high) and I leave the pump without getting the pressure checked after waiting for a long time in the queue.

Long ago they used to have separate air pumps for two-wheelers and four wheelers. Not only was the entire cycle faster (filling petrol and air), the air pump breakdowns were also few and far between.
Old 8th February 2013, 13:20   #1895
BHPian

I have the same issue with filling air at the Old Madras Road Shell (Near RMZ Infinity). I go on Sunday mornings to fill fuel (since the temp is colder, plus like a nice drive without traffic). They said that there was no air fill available even at 8:00 AM. I had to go to the IOC Pump near BDA Complex to get it filled. Coincidentally, the IOC pump has air available from 7:00 AM.

Any idea about air filling at Shell UB City?
Old 8th February 2013, 14:31   #1896
Senior - BHPian

I too faced this issue of "air pump not ready" at 8.00 AM in my regular Shell pump at chromepet. I fill my car's tank with SULP once a month here, but will visit every Sunday morning for just checking air. A couple of complaints to the manager set this right. I never go to any PSU pumps. Even the mechanics and tyre shop fellows in the vicinity advise to fill air at Shell, as their pumps are the best calibrated in their opinion.

I have been regularly using normal unleaded petrol for my Splendor and never faced any idling issues, @ravan!
Old 17th February 2013, 15:07   #1897
Distinguished - BHPian

Live from Shell kanakapura road, Bangalore.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130217_151935.png
Views: 1747
Size:  438.9 KB

Shell unleaded Rs 75.25 per litre since yesterday.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 17th February 2013 at 15:08.
Old 17th February 2013, 17:58   #1898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post

Any idea about air filling at Shell UB City?
They also have the mad fluctuation once in a while. But on most occasions, I have got my air filed accurately and the air pump is functional. Only problem is that it gets crowded in the mornings and evenings.

In other news, today morning, I tanked up my Wego at Mekhri Circle Shell for around 76.10 per litre, which I guess is BS4 fuel.
Old 18th February 2013, 07:47   #1899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
For the BSIV unleaded petrol from Shell is now 76.05 from the earlier rate of 74.10.

Cheers!
Old 18th February 2013, 10:48   #1900
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell Hinjewadi prices up to 74.91 for regular unleaded (from 71.95) as of today. A new lucky-dip scheme is on where you fill up the tank and get 500/- worth of fuel free.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:40   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Live from Shell kanakapura road, Bangalore.

Attachment 1052324

Hi Hemanth,
Just out of curiosity if that snap was from a mobile phone? Is it not dangerous to use it? I wanted to ask this to know if it is dangerous only when we talk or even usage like camera/ reading text is equally dangerous?
Old 18th February 2013, 11:50   #1902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Hi Hemanth,
Just out of curiosity if that snap was from a mobile phone? Is it not dangerous to use it? I wanted to ask this to know if it is dangerous only when we talk or even usage like camera/ reading text is equally dangerous?
From what I know, the risk of using mobile phones at petrol pumps isnt from radiowaves(network), but in fact from the high temperature of the phone/battery while using the phone, which could ignite the fuel.

Using the camera should not be a hazard.

Here is an IEEE link debunking the myth.

LINK

Last edited by Recompose : 18th February 2013 at 11:52. Reason: Link added
Recompose is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 11:55   #1903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Hi Hemanth,
As much as I am pro-safety, the cellphone-usage-causing-fires story always appeared a little thin to me. Confirmed this from snopes. com (http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp)

Even a naked flame wouldn't *always* cause a blazing inferno at a petrol station, though admittedly it is incredibly dangerous. The funny thing is this theory- of mobiles giving out mini-sparks that could blaze up a petrol pump- has gained so much acceptance that most pumps in urban India officially ban cellphone usage in their vicinity! Even more ironical since the link above clearly states that Shell has issued a statement at some point denying that that is their official position.

In the interest of maintaining the peace and not wanting to be considered a threat to the general public I oblige, but it's silly really!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 02:29   #1904
BHPian

Speaking of Air Pumps installed at gas stations, I have found most say it is out of order. At times I wonder is it because Air is a free service and hence most refuse to comply. I prefer to go to my Tyre Balance guy and get air checked. I guess there is no such thing as a free meal after all.

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 19th February 2013, 09:23   #1905
BHPian

Shell happened to me (us) in Bangalore (in 2004?). Ever since, I've stuck to Shell in Bangalore, Mysore or Chennai. I'm happy that I can get the correct quantity and (most importantly) unadulterated fuel.

They try to maintain some orderliness by ensuring we enter on the correct side, maintain a queue, refrain from using mobile phones while in their premises, etc. I'm more than happy following these rules especially the mobile phone one. Whether it makes technical sense or not it definitely helps shutting off the few morons who seem lost in their conversation while at the wheel.

Last edited by CBlazer : 19th February 2013 at 09:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks