Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2021, 18:13   #7531
BHPian
 
Jude300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 383
Thanked: 1,669 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Many ask why we have been able to buy petrol at ₹60 per litre when crude hit $120 per barrel. Politically and comically I am going to brutal because I feel the pinch. "That's the difference between the two meanings that the word 'act' has. Example 1: A well educated PM acted by reducing the tax burden on the common man. Example 2: The PM acts well but fails to deliver. Hope you now understand.

Some will argue that the PM & FM are trying to save our economy by keeping fuel prices high. I can't find a better joke. Fuel was always dear to the common man. Nobody wasted petrol because it was sold at ₹60 per litre. Yet this is a popular argument.

I would go further and ask where is the money collected as tax going? Look at the graph and you will see the incremental income to the government driven by the tax. Have we seen proportional developmental investments? A big NO. Have we seen significant improvement in public transport infrastructure to encourage people to use public transport? Again a big NO. A good economist will address the problem with sustainable solutions and not try to increase tax to control demand. Can someone prove that the consumption of fuel has reduced because of higher taxes? Even after months of lockdown, our crude imports have been more than 2015 levels in 2020. Only the irrational devotee will have a story otherwise.

Name:  Chart03.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  29.5 KB

Last edited by Jude300 : 31st October 2021 at 18:26.
Jude300 is online now   (80) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 18:18   #7532
Senior - BHPian
 
Bibendum90949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,106
Thanked: 4,374 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Cousin sent this from Rewa district of MP - another state to cross the 120 milestone.

XP95 is at 124.91
This is what I had paid in Seoni, MP for diesel last week, guess it's the highest in the country.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-20211025_190554.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 18:52   #7533
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,344
Thanked: 1,585 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
I would go further and ask where is the money collected as tax going?
No offense to anyone, but the taxes collected are very well used in our country.

An evening walk down central vista where our benevolent leaders perform their R&Rs.

Look up at the sky where our leaders are flying in the same comfort and speed as USA leaders. No other country seems to have AF1.

Look at the front page full page advertisements in national daily newspapers extolling the virtues of our leaders.

The powerful statement that 1 billion people have been vaccinated leaving only a paltry minority unvaccinated.

Mega political rallies attended by lakhs of people which even Nazi Germany could never match.

When we look at these achievements with pride in our hearts, how can we grudge a few 100% tax on a sin goods like fuel?
wildsdi5530 is offline   (122) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 18:57   #7534
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 740
Thanked: 1,048 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
I would go further and ask where is the money collected as tax going? Look at the graph and you will see the incremental income to the government driven by the tax. Have we seen proportional developmental investments? A big NO. Have we seen significant improvement in public transport infrastructure to encourage people to use public transport? Again a big NO.
Do you not notice the metro construction works going on in *all* Tier 1 and Tier 2 and most Tier 3 and Tier 4 cities? Do you not see the EV vehicles delivered as public transport buses (under FAME-II subsidy) in an increasingly more number of cities (several in Mumbai and Pune)? Do you not see the AC local trains introduced in Mumbai with more on the way?

Do you not read the news about 8-lane Mumbai-Delhi expressway under construction, the Trans-Haryana expressway u/c, the Chenab bridge u/c on the Kashmir Rail link u/c, the Zojilla tunnel u/c, the swanky redeveloped railway stations at Bangalore Baiyappanahalli, Habibganj, Gandhinagar, etc? I'm not going to repeat the full list. See this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5092359 (The Official Fuel Prices Thread)

Do you think these drop down from the sky in a jiffy? It takes work and time to build these. All countries have gone though this, you don't see it in those countries because they did it before you and I were born.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd November 2021 at 05:07. Reason: Personal remarks deleted
vharihar is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:16   #7535
BHPian
 
ABHI_1512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 599
Thanked: 6,004 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

^^

Wonder how a country which just got independence managed to build IiTs, IIMs, AIIMS, various atomic centers, various universities, various colleges, road projects (of course not of ALE standards) and various developmental projects, polio eradication and most of all, fought three wars and still didn’t tax the people like the way it is happening now !!

I find it amusing that a financial bungling of the highest order is being defended in the name of development as if the country was born yesterday and seeing development for the first time !!

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd November 2021 at 05:30. Reason: Political bit deleted
ABHI_1512 is offline   (110) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:17   #7536
BHPian
 
saikarthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 490
Thanked: 3,358 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Hope they add petrol and diesel in commodities market instead of crude. I will certainly buy!
saikarthik is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:20   #7537
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 288 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Tragedy is that we are such a polarised society that nothing is going to change. Prices can hit 120, 130, 150 and the defenders of this administration will find some fairy tale to justify it. Oh but they build one highway, they are defending the nation against unseen enemies, see there are a/c coaches in suburban trains now. As if none of that happened before. The fact is that the supporters back this government for reasons that have nothing to do with 'vikaas' and they are willing to pay any price to see that end reached. Doubling of fuel prices in 7 years is something they are willing to live with, if it means certain sections of society are 'put in their place'. I have heard uncles in my own family and friends circle espouse these views. Nothing surprises me anymore.
RoadTrippin is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:35   #7538
BHPian
 
livetodrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 235
Thanked: 824 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

As someone from union Government said...are we paying for free vaccines? Seems Government is compensating it's losses in Covid with surged fuel prices. Once the losses are compensated and important elections are round the corner, can we expect a price reduction?
livetodrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:39   #7539
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ahmednagar, MH
Posts: 31
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Do you not notice the metro construction works going on in *all* Tier 1 and Tier 2 and most Tier 3 and Tier 4 cities? Do you not see the EV vehicles delivered as public transport buses (under FAME-II subsidy) in an increasingly more number of cities (several in Mumbai and Pune)? Do you not see the AC local trains introduced in Mumbai with more on the way?

Do you not read the news about 8-lane Mumbai-Delhi expressway under construction, the Trans-Haryana expressway u/c, the Chenab bridge u/c on the Kashmir Rail link u/c, the Zojilla tunnel u/c, the swanky redeveloped railway stations at Bangalore Baiyappanahalli, Habibganj, Gandhinagar, etc? I'm not going to repeat the full list. See this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5092359 (The Official Fuel Prices Thread)



Do you think these drop down from the sky in a jiffy? It takes work and time to build these. All countries have gone though this, you don't see it in those countries because they did it before you and I were born.
I'll talk about only one city, Pune. Metro construction started here in 2016. Fast forward 5 years, and only 1 'line' is nearing completion. Rest of the city has been all dug up and faces huge traffic every working day. The said line has not even started as a matter of fact.

Any rational person would agree that more than 5 years is more than enough time to get 1 single line up and running, even if for showing off the work.

Reading news about construction and actually completing projects which deliver direct benefits to end consumer are very different things.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd November 2021 at 05:10. Reason: Quoted text edited
deovrat is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:46   #7540
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 121
Thanked: 1,506 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

There was a time last April or so when the tax hikes done by both centre (massive) and states (moderately) was justified. We were in an unprecedented situation.

Not any more. When the economy is almost back to pre-covid levels, there is simply no reason for this high taxes.

I had read sometime back that even with a reduction of rs.8 in the central Excise taxes, the budgeted revenue from fuel excise taxes for 2021-22 can be met. From that time, I have been waiting in vain for this to happen. Elections have come and gone, Diwali is here and yet the government is adamant to keep the taxes high. We probably have to wait till the upcoming elections (pun intended) .

On the other hand, state governments are having a merry time. State VAT is calculated as a % over base price + central Excise. So as world crude prices go up, their revenue goes up, yet all the blame falls on the centre . AFAIK only TN reduced VAT recently.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st November 2021 at 05:32. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
DigitalOne is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:48   #7541
BHPian
 
dragonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 39
Thanked: 554 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
I agree but I don't understand what is the current opposition doing. Either the current opposition does not have any interest/concern to the issues that the general public is as a whole facing or they are under the illusion that giving importance to other issues which we all know what they are makes more sense.
If I am the oppostion, I'd say - you brought it upon yourselves, so you need to suck it up. It has been proven time and again, that it is not by raising issues that affect the public at large, but only by playing to the emotions of religious/caste/regional groups that they can win elections.
dragonfire is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:54   #7542
anb
BHPian
 
anb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Idukki
Posts: 754
Thanked: 2,860 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
There was a time last April or so when the tax hikes done by both centre (massive) and states (moderately) was justified. We were in an unprecedented situation.
.
You missed the hike on May 6th 2020. Additional excise duty on diesel was hiked by Rs.13 and petrol by Rs.10 in a single day. The biggest ever "development" in a single day for Petrol and Diesel price in history. Historic achievement went unnoticed on that day.

Excise duty on diesel was Rs.3 in 2014. Today it is Rs.32. A massive increase of Rs.29 in excise duty in 7 years. Still some people say the centre govt is innocent. That’s why the price never decreases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post

Do you not read the news about 8-lane Mumbai-Delhi expressway under construction, etc?
If they are building this using our own tax payer's money, then why there is toll? Not only me, you also pay Rs.18 as road infrastructure cess for a litre of petrol and diesel. Then why do you need to pay toll again as a double payment?

Last edited by anb : 31st October 2021 at 20:24.
anb is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 19:54   #7543
BHPian
 
Jude300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 383
Thanked: 1,669 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Do you think these drop down from the sky in a jiffy? It takes work and time to build these. All countries have gone though this, you don't see it in those countries because they did it before you and I were born.

So please take back your statements about developmental investments and investments in public transport infrastructure.

You want to debate, be objective, rational and factual. If you want to opine without being factual, well, then I have no words for you.
Well, that's my personal opinion. I am not taking it back.

On the facts, they didn't fall from the sky before 2014 as well. We can discuss long lists of investments prior to 2014 as well which you are enjoying. If you are not biased bring them to the table too.

As a matter of fact whatever list you bring, our GDP doesn't reflect the impact of the investments from these heavy taxes collected. If you are happy to pay more to the government, please go ahead and do it. But as an individual I have a different opinion. Period.

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-screenshot_20211031194102.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
If they are building this using our own tax payer's money, then why there is toll? Not only me, you also pay Rs.18 as road infrastructure cess for a litre of petrol and diesel. Then why do you need to pay toll again as a double payment?
Good point. I am paying nearly double the tolls on the same roads which might have fallen from the sky before 2014.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd November 2021 at 19:54. Reason: Quoted text edited; personal attack
Jude300 is online now   (59) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 20:03   #7544
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
My my, your observation skills must be poor! Do you not notice the metro construction works going on in *all* Tier 1 and Tier 2 and most Tier 3 and Tier 4 cities? Do you not see the EV vehicles delivered as public transport buses (under FAME-II subsidy) in an increasingly more number of cities (several in Mumbai and Pune)? Do you not see the AC local trains introduced in Mumbai with more on the .
To your point, these are responsibilities of a government and not just giving alms to the citizens of a country.
The nation thrives on taxes paid by hardworking people who pay income tax and is then taxed for every purchase starting from a matchbox. We also require return in terms of the taxes wepay. Not everything should be labelled as the poor are getting benefits. We will be poor in no time as well
[quote]
Do you not read the news about 8-lane Mumbai-Delhi expressway under construction, the Trans-Haryana expressway u/c, the Chenab bridge u/c on the Kashmir Rail link u/c, the Zojilla tunnel u/c, the swanky redeveloped railway stations at Bangalore Baiyappanahalli, Habibganj, Gandhinagar, etc? I'm not going to repeat the full list.

[quote]
To remind you, we have been paying toll at exorbitant rates for every usage on the highways, express ways etc..
You cannot hide this fact no matter what you claim.
Disclaimer: I don't associate with any political party and the views expressed are from my own free will
superchamp is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 20:28   #7545
RMN
BHPian
 
RMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Cochin
Posts: 149
Thanked: 289 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Regarding a political intervention on the price hikes, that's most likely never going happen. Now more than ever.

Remember reading an article from many months back where the leaders where questioned about the same and most of them replied along the lines that people need to move to EVs and protect the environment

Unlike before they have a "politically correct" reply for doing nothing.
RMN is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks