Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:03   #421
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wonder if you are aware of what Honda Engines always stood for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashi_kul View Post
One caution for the buyers is to look at the fuel efficiency of the car before going ahead with the purchase decision as the power has been enhanced which might have some impact on the FE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
It is no more ultralight OHC that it needs to lug around. Better built car with same engine will surely take FE hit. Another example is SX4 and Baleno.
Agreed with RX135 & ashi_kul. The OHC was feather light, the NHC' engine specifically tuned for FE and low on power. The latest City is heavier and has 50% more power than the NHC. I don't think it will match the high FE of previous generations.

Except for the current NHC, neither the Civic nor the Accord & CRV are particularly fuel efficient. One of the reasons for the Civics inefficiency is that you need to wring the engine, even in the city (its low torque). Urban civics rarely get more than 9 kpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
10% of the booking amount is deducted, hence smaller the booking amount the better it is.
That's a first! Booking amounts never have a deductible. This dealer is only exploiting the potential demand for the new City.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:42   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

That's a first! Booking amounts never have a deductible. This dealer is only exploiting the potential demand for the new City.

Well that's not happening with a single dealer but with almost all the dealers , so I think we should blame honda and not the dealers. I guess this might be the trick to finish the NHC stocks.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:57   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Jeez, this is disgusting. They are now trying to exploit us. Doesn't Honda have any guidelines that their dealers need to follow ?

Last edited by autoenthusiast : 3rd October 2008 at 11:59.
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:08   #424
Senior - BHPian

This is bad. How can one book without test riding. Test riding is everything.

GTO,
do you think the OHC power to weight is better than the G3HC? Hows the tourque comparison?
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:14   #425

Most dealers in HYD are asking Rs. 50,000 as deposit.
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:25   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
This is bad. How can one book without test riding. Test riding is everything.

GTO,
do you think the OHC power to weight is better than the G3HC? Hows the tourque comparison?
Also - Is the dimensions are better than the previous G HC?
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:34   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
G3HC - 116bhp - 1100kgs - 105.45bhp/ton
OHC - 106bhp - 985kgs - 107.61bhp/ton

Torque wise the G3HC i think is 145nm while the OHC was 132nm. But then, performance will also depend on how the gear ratios are spaced out. The G3HC is supposed to be a FE car, if that is true, there is a possibility that the gearing might be a bit taller.

So performance wise (straightline), it'l be a close fight between the G3HC and OHC. On twisty roads though, i think the light weight of the OHC will work in its favour.

Shan2nu
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:46   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Jeez, this is disgusting. They are now trying to exploit us. Doesn't Honda have any guidelines that their dealers need to follow ?
This will happen as long as people fall over each other to grab these cars. It happened with SX4, Dzire, NHC, Fabia (till people got to know the final price) and many other cars.

So what's the big hurry? If we don't buy their cars who will? It's not some kind of limited offer or something, is it? At least insist on a TD before booking the car.

Last edited by CBlazer : 3rd October 2008 at 13:48.
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:54   #429
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Shan2nu. pretty close then.
I think the only thing that i miss in the OHC is ABS (and may be airbags).
Waiting for test ride reports of G3HC.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:40   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The OHC was feather light, the NHC' engine specifically tuned for FE and low on power. The latest City is heavier and has 50% more power than the NHC. I don't think it will match the high FE of previous generations.

Except for the current NHC, neither the Civic nor the Accord & CRV are particularly fuel efficient. One of the reasons for the Civics inefficiency is that you need to wring the engine, even in the city (its low torque). Urban civics rarely get more than 9 kpl.

If AutoCarIndia is correct, then the fuel efficiency figures of CR-V are higher than Accord.

Civic lost the fuel efficiency plot to Corolla and now to Corolla Altis. Moreover, Accord is less fuel efficient than Camry. The higher specific output Honda motors are losing on fuel efficiency. But as G3HC will be targeting a segment below, its difficult to comment.

G2HC ( i.e. NHC ) VTEC was 100 bhp, but gave good performance with reasonably good fuel efficiency. This makes me believe that the fuel efficiency will be good. And as SX4 ( as per auto mags ) is not fuel efficient, neither is Fiesta ( two of the basic competition in petrol engines ), so it will not be a tough going for G3HC.
Old 3rd October 2008, 17:59   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
With due respect - Honda Civic's engine is not exactly known for fuel efficiency
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Eh? The Civic's engine is quite revolutionary. I'd suggest reading TOVA's article on it. I don't know many 1.8L petrols that give the FE that it does while providing the high revving sporting character it has
Honda Civic 1.8 is the fuel economy champ in its segment in the US 38 at mpg hwy. Its achieves this feat without having EPS. Corolla with EPS is a close second at 37 mpg. Others are waay behind. These numbers are better than fit and yaris.

Of course, the driving conditions in India (city) may not be suited to the powerband.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd October 2008 at 18:05.
Old 3rd October 2008, 18:16   #432
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Of course, the driving conditions in India (city) may not be suited to the powerband.
Bang on! I don't think anyone has a problem with the Civics efficiency on the highway. It's in our bumper-to-bumper conditions that the low torque / extra accelerator (:-)) phenomena leads to low FE.
Old 3rd October 2008, 18:58   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Its achieves this feat without having EPS.
What's EPS?
I know of EPS as Electric Power Steering. Does the HPS pump put so much load on the engine that it affects FE figures?

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 3rd October 2008, 19:15   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10% of the booking amount is deducted, hence smaller the booking amount the better it is.

Quote:
This will happen as long as people fall over each other to grab these cars. It happened with SX4, Dzire, NHC, Fabia and many other cars.
In the case of Maruti, even though they had people falling all over each other for their Swift and SX4, they actually gave you interest @ 12% pa on your booking amount from the 16th day of booking till delivery. Deduction of booking amount is unheard of.
Old 3rd October 2008, 19:28   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
If AutoCarIndia is correct, then the fuel efficiency figures of CR-V are higher than Accord.

Civic lost the fuel efficiency plot to Corolla and now to Corolla Altis. Moreover, Accord is less fuel efficient than Camry. The higher specific output Honda motors are losing on fuel efficiency. But as G3HC will be targeting a segment below, its difficult to comment.

G2HC ( i.e. NHC ) VTEC was 100 bhp, but gave good performance with reasonably good fuel efficiency. This makes me believe that the fuel efficiency will be good. And as SX4 ( as per auto mags ) is not fuel efficient, neither is Fiesta ( two of the basic competition in petrol engines ), so it will not be a tough going for G3HC.

Am not sure what is the basis of your comment on FE of Fiesta.. my petrol 1.6 Fiesta returns minimum of 11-11.5 kmpl in city driving (bangalore's). Please don't take shots in air..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks