4.50 - 4.9x 57 49.57%
5.00 + 11 9.57%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2005, 14:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

voted for 4.5 to 5 lac range.fell with it's awsome looks swift will sell.

ps:guys,maruti still sells zen (dunno abt wagon r) with black bumpers,seen many new version zen diesels with black bumpers.
Old 4th May 2005, 15:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by west
nau dont expect anything better than an esteem engine and a zen interior in the new swift. Thats an economical equation at under 5 lks in india.

ouch!!! that's a little harsh...don't you think? besides, the swift is generating as much interest as the fiat palio- which, need i remind you, was a H-U-G-E hit, initially. it still would've garnered as much sales, if it was from the maruti stables!!

well i guess i'm saying that the swift is maruti's answer to the palio, indica, and the getz. and no doubt, it will S-E-L-L, and like hot cakes.

yo, the interior pics posted are of the top end version of the swift- and check closely- the variant shown is an automatic!!

and no, the interiors will not be of zen quality...!!!!

needless to say, the swift will not have an automatic transmission here.... and guys, don't under-estimate the esteem engine- with the 1.3 litre powerplant, it will still be the quickest car in it's category in india. (85 bhp, and 0-100 in 11.3 secs from the esteem, remember??)

besides, this should be a great hatch to modify, other than the palio- imagine plonking the baleno engine in it's bay...it will be the hottest hatch ever..... well, i'm thinking of doing that anyways...

also, the chassis is rumoured to be the stiffest from the maruti stables- even stiffer than the baleno or palio..!! and no doubt, it's enormous width will aid it's handling, and ability to harness power- even with heavy mods.

and also, maruti is planning to get swifts into the rallies next year- should be interesting, to see it compete against the balenos and esteems. our very own indian 206 replica, what say??

and as for the price, the top end variant will retail close to 4.80, if my sources are to be believed... well, o.k for that price, i guess... a bargain, even.... and not to forget- it looks as hot as the palio..!!

and aadix, they don't sell the zen and esteem diesels nationwide anymore..... you can only get one from a rural/ semi-urban dealer, under booking, or if he still has stock.

Last edited by veyron1 : 4th May 2005 at 15:17.
Old 4th May 2005, 15:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
ouch!!! that's a little harsh...don't you think? besides, the swift is generating as much interest as the fiat palio- which, need i remind you, was a H-U-G-E hit, initially. it still would've garnered as much sales, if it was from the maruti stables!well i guess i'm saying that the swift is maruti's answer to the palio, indica, and the getz. and no doubt, it will S-E-L-L, and like hot cakes.

Yes I do think they will sell like hot cakes but see the history of maruti and its behaviour Im not excited at all over swift.

Quote:
yo, the interior pics posted are of the top end version of the swift- and check closely- the variant shown is an automatic!!
and no, the interiors will not be of zen quality...!!!!.
I seriously doubt if that version is indian. International YES!! but not indian, I some how cant beleive that this kind of interior will fit in under 5 lks budget, if they pull it out I will be in the booking line for a swift.

Quote:
needless to say, the swift will not have an automatic transmission here.... and guys, don't under-estimate the esteem engine- with the 1.3 litre powerplant, it will still be the quickest car in it's category in india. (85 bhp, and 0-100 in 11.3 secs from the esteem, remember??).
oh yes it quick its torquier and blahh blahh blah , but i still think its that 2000 crapy technology of esteem before I buy it.

Quote:
besides, this should be a great hatch to modify, other than the palio- imagine plonking the baleno engine in it's bay...it will be the hottest hatch ever..... well, i'm thinking of doing that anyways....
good for you , Turbo charge it and give us a review, it would be hot!!

Quote:
and also, maruti is planning to get swifts into the rallies next year- should be interesting, to see it compete against the balenos and esteems. our very own indian 206 replica, what say??.
well we have seen the version of evo mitsuibishi introduced in india, we can expect the same from maruti as well. your argument does nt fit here since you r talking abt international level

Iam looking forward for a test drive in a swift.

Last edited by west : 4th May 2005 at 15:46.
Old 4th May 2005, 15:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by west
I seriously doubt if that version is indian. International YES!! but not indian, it does fit some how that this kind of interior will fit in under 5 lks budget, if they pul it out i will be in the booking line for a swift.
Exactly my point. If Maruti were to fit in those interiors in the sub 5 lakh bracket, hats off to them. But I seriously think there will be huge compromises for the Indian market. Let's wait and see.
Old 5th May 2005, 15:02   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
posted by west
I seriously doubt if that version is indian. International YES!! but not indian, I some how cant beleive that this kind of interior will fit in under 5 lks budget, if they pull it out I will be in the booking line for a swift.

well, D-U-H !! that version is definitely not indian, dude!!! but expect the same dash, and trim (minus the colour-co ordination).

Quote:
posted by west

oh yes it quick its torquier and blahh blahh blah , but i still think its that 2000 crapy technology of esteem before I buy it.
well, the 2000 model crappy technology engine seems to beat the 2003 model excellent technology engine-d honda city, both in terms of power, and performance, so.......

Quote:
posted by west
good for you , Turbo charge it and give us a review, it would be hot!!
good idea... but i was thinking of the baleno engine first, man- like i said before... but be it the baleno engine or the turbo on the existing one... mods are in the car's destiny, for sure..

Quote:
posted by west

well we have seen the version of evo mitsuibishi introduced in india, we can expect the same from maruti as well. your argument does nt fit here since you r talking abt international level
not fair..!! you can't blame mitsubishi for bringing the downgraded version... it was HM who decided on the existing version of lancer, keeping the "indian junta" in mind....
and no, don't expect the same mitsubishi treatment from maruti - remember, suzuki is it's key shareholder and decision maker, now- so, expect nothing but the best from them here on....
and no, man.. i am not talking about international level racing- i was talking about indian racing.... i said,- our very own indian replica of the 206....and i firmly believe that if not the palio, at least a maruti can fill that seat...

and deepak, if my sources are to be believed, then the only downgrades for the swift in india will be the 4 curtain airbags, the original spec 15-inch wheels, the CD player, and the 1.5 m-series engine- since the esteem's 1.3 g- series will be powering it. also, the suspension will receive a height increase, to increase the ground clearance from the international model's 140mm to 165 or 170 mm.

the indian spec- swift will have 14" wheels, (maybe even 13" for the lowest version), the 1.3 litre engine, airbags, abs( both for the top model) and the same design, same material dash- albeit the trim options.
Old 5th May 2005, 15:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and deepak, if my sources are to be believed, then the only downgrades for the swift in india will be the 4 curtain airbags, the original spec 15-inch wheels, the CD player, and the 1.5 m-series engine- since the esteem's 1.3 g- series will be powering it. also, the suspension will receive a height increase, to increase the ground clearance from the international model's 140mm to 165 or 170 mm.

the indian spec- swift will have 14" wheels, (maybe even 13" for the lowest version), the 1.3 litre engine, airbags, abs( both for the top model) and the same design, same material dash- albeit the trim options.
If that is the case, then fine. Then it looks like Maruti (read it as Suzuki) accepts that Indian consumer has really matured and wants more than the spartan interiors they provide in almost all their models.
Old 5th May 2005, 19:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and aadix, they don't sell the zen and esteem diesels nationwide anymore..... you can only get one from a rural/ semi-urban dealer, under booking, or if he still has stock.

buddy
the production of the diesel range of maruti itself has stopped.
as of today there is no diesel car in the maruti product range.
the dealers in hyd have many zen and esteem diesels left,
they arent giving any discounts on them.
Old 5th May 2005, 19:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

B-Swift. This sounds juicy man. European swifts already come with a 1.5 Vti engine making 102 bhp, so handling the Baleno's 1.6 power should be no probs.
I wish Maruti would intoduce the 3 door swift with a mild body kit, Baleno engine, stiff suspension and 16" alloys. 206 replica for sure. I also vote for a rally homologation special. Suzuki is already planning to enter the WRC Junior series in a big way with the Swift. Man I am already drooling !! That would be truly a hot hatch. I think Indian market is ready for a 2 door sporty car.
Old 5th May 2005, 20:25   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I do doubt that the Swift is going to be a tarmac-burner though...even with the 90 odd horsepower Baleno engine. weighs in at over a 1000 kg!

Seems to be a superb product nevertheless

GTO
Old 5th May 2005, 20:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

I agree with GTO. The Swift is certainly not going to be a car to throw around or race with. According to the short test drive shown on CNBC its not a very great handler as well but overall its actually what its meant to be. A nice slick city runner with a good reliable reputed engine for the average family. IMO the base should cost around 4.25 lakhs.

On another note after seeing it on TV I really doubt if its actually as big as the Palio.

Dippy
Old 5th May 2005, 23:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

some MUL officals were at our factory today for an audit and go a few precious minutes to talk to one of them....the launch announcement of the swift could be on the 18-19 may....and i asked him about the 1.6 ltr baleno engine swift and he told me that would be offered in 2007 and mul is thinking about offering the 1.6 ltr engine in a sedan style swift.

this is what i got from him....now what ?? wait another year for the baleno engined swift sedan? would you guys go for it ?
Old 5th May 2005, 23:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
this is what i got from him....now what ?? wait another year for the baleno engined swift sedan? would you guys go for it ?
I dont think it will look good with a boot. It'll look clumsy just like all the other hatch derived sedans like Corsa, Fabia, Indigo....especially with its upright windsheild. Plus the extra weight of the trunk will negate the extra power and the car is not going to be any faster.
Old 6th May 2005, 05:59   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
I dont think it will look good with a boot. It'll look clumsy just like all the other hatch derived sedans like Corsa, Fabia, Indigo....especially with its upright windsheild. Plus the extra weight of the trunk will negate the extra power and the car is not going to be any faster.

But a boot means a stiffer chassis meaning tighter handling !
Old 6th May 2005, 08:37   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I do doubt that the Swift is going to be a tarmac-burner though...even with the 90 odd horsepower Baleno engine. weighs in at over a 1000 kg!

Seems to be a superb product nevertheless

GTO
However, Suzuki is planning to introduce a 1.6L 3-door only Swift GTI by the end of the year - in Europe, though...

That one could be a scorcher

Last edited by johnjacob : 6th May 2005 at 08:38.
Old 6th May 2005, 23:42   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
But a boot means a stiffer chassis meaning tighter handling !
You're right! It does.... on paper. But in real life does the Corsa handle better than the Sail, Palio better than Petra, Ikon better than a Fiesta, City better than a Jazz ?
I think that all that mass hanging beyond the wheels will have a bigger effect on dynamics. Besides, sometimes the wheelbase gets stretched when they stick a boot (Indigo). This has a further negative effect on the 'chuckability' factor.
Besides, a stiffer chassis is just a strut brace away !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks