Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 18:17   #121
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the VW advert on TV a few minutes back. As someone said - it is about a young kid in a VW showroom looking at owning VW vehicles at different phases of his life - teen, CEO etc etc. Nice

Looks like they are headed full on to make sure everyone knows them & talks about them. I like I like !!
Old 11th November 2009, 18:47   #122
GTO
Team-BHP Support

9 pages of discussion in 10 hours!!! Just goes to show the impact of the VW ad blitzkrieg, and that they achieved what they intended to.

I can tell you that some industry players are already rattled. And then, you have the news that VW is now the biggest car manufacturer in the world Thread Linky. Good timing, VW India.
Old 11th November 2009, 18:53   #123
BHPian

confusion

i was late to office by 2 hrs reading the news paper. till now havent seen any auto manufacturing compay giving ad in news paper which has covered almost 75% of the news. i bet none of them might have read news paper for the other news.

by the by what do they mean by "DUS AUTO." is it not the dealer's name.
Old 11th November 2009, 18:58   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargavi View Post
In the Volkswagen Touareg half page ad, the sub-heading says 'From 100% to 0% oxygen' in 7.8 seconds. Can anyone explain what that means?
It surely can't climb the mountain they have shown in 7.8secs at 45 degree angle.
That means you go from zero to 100 in 7.8 seconds

They mean to say it'll knock the air out of your lungs in about that much time

Simpler?: It'll take your breath away

No, it won't do an uphill climb that fast. They are two separate ideas. One means to say it goes fast in a straight line, one means to say it goes towards the sky as well

Last edited by Nitronium : 11th November 2009 at 19:02.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:12   #125
BHPian

This is a great move by VW and is a right step towards establishing their brand and presence in India. Moreover, I really liked their name in all India languages to establish the right/ correct pronunciation. A great thought by both VW and Ad agency that worked on it.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:25   #126
BHPian

Thirteen pages of advertorials, ten pages on the forum, whatever the case may be, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Yes, this is a brand building exercise, but all brands arrive at their status following one simple gospel truth: brands are not what their owners say it is, but what their consumers think and experience and therefore talk about it as.
Skoda lost sight of that basic fact.
VW will tell us many things, and being slightly more enlightened than most other citizens, nothing very new, but I am more interested in what German Engineering made in India actually means.
We had something similar in Opel, remember?
If VW is going to give us slightly upmarket Maruti Swifts at the lower end, and populate the upper segment with CKD and CBU units, German engineering made in india is no different from Korean or Japanese engineering, also made in India and doing quite well too.
I (and many others on a related Polo thread) had high hopes of an actual euro-spec hatch that would take the high ground it takes elsewhere and deliver on the brand promise.
Until I see what comes out of the Chakan plant in the flesh, and see what the roadmap is for variants and engine options, I am going to say I'm not impressed.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:31   #127
BHPian

Just got some info from the VW dealer. Expected price for the Beetle is 18 lacs ex showroom Delhi. Expected next month.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:36   #128
Senior - BHPian

With that kind of pricing, the market will be niche and the volumes will be low.

Why spend so much on advertising then ?
Old 11th November 2009, 19:42   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
With that kind of pricing, the market will be niche and the volumes will be low.

Why spend so much on advertising then ?
The Bug price is expected to in that range as it is imported as CKD or CBU and hence heavy tax on such imports, which is being passed onto the end users.

Advertising is important to educate people about the brand, technology, products, features and that would help in building their presence in long term.

The only way to get these prices down is to localize a great of production here in India and there by cut down on import taxes, which will result in lower prices.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:48   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can tell you that some industry players are already rattled.
If you heard something, let us know. I would love to know what's going on in the established cos' minds after a blitzkrieg like this.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:58   #131
BHPian

To to give an inside of the Car price and How is it evolved -

The actual cost of making + Branding or Advert + Taxes + Delaers cut + profit = Cost of Car

So they actually dont spend irrational on Advert .

The plant and the profit target is arrived and then they do it.

Coming to AD cost in TOI . The half page of L&T Infotech had cost 26 lks and it was so much because it was the first page .

In Main issue the first page cost is 70 Lks and the second page onwards it reduces to 60 Lks.

The total cost would not have crossed 7 cr which is 0.000X percentage of profit .

Their profit was 3.9 billion euros in 2008, (VW posts nine-month profit of 3.7 billion euros, holds 2008 forecast )

When you want to make profit you make more impact which leads to more buying and so on.

Last edited by propeller : 11th November 2009 at 20:06.
Old 11th November 2009, 20:01   #132
BHPian

After the morning News Paper I come home back and see this VW ad on the TV. Looks like VW has big plans for India. Hope they keep the pricing right.
Old 11th November 2009, 20:03   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
The ad shows a young boy in a Volkswagen showroom deciding on the cars that he wants to 'book in advance' at various stages of his life – one for his 18th birthday, one when he becomes the 'vice-president' of a company and another when he eventually becomes the chief executive officer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Just saw the VW advert on TV a few minutes back. As someone said - it is about a young kid in a VW showroom looking at owning VW vehicles at different phases of his life - teen, CEO etc etc. Nice
Just saw the ad. Its all over the channels. The original Porsche ad was much better. Was much more subtle.

Last edited by gkrishn : 11th November 2009 at 20:08.
Old 11th November 2009, 20:08   #134
BHPian

Fiat should also do an ad blitz like this to improve its image !!!
Old 11th November 2009, 20:19   #135
BHPian

Bah, saw the VW ad with the kid. Atrocious it was, very poorly executed, very pretentious. The porsche ad was so so much better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks