Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 20:22   #136
BHPian

Just caught the TVC on HBO- lousy ad. They could have done much much better- after today morning's heroics!
Old 11th November 2009, 20:32   #137
BHPian

Yeah the TV ad is not that great , but it sort of of highlights all their cars . Individual ads for each of their cars could make a greater impact .
Old 11th November 2009, 20:39   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

They were successful in Goa when under Portugese rule (till 1961) and then they tried an entry planning to set up the plant in Andhra Pradesh, a few years ago. The alleged bribery and scam there scared the hell out of VW but they have now started on a clean slate with their 2009 entry through Maharashtra.
Wish VW a smooth sailing, in their long innings now.They should not repeat the Skoda saga ditching the brand loyalists with infated spares bills.
Old 11th November 2009, 20:39   #139
BHPian

guys! will VW make cars that common man can buy! When I go shopping for Maruthi/Hyundai/Honda, will i also be able to consider VW within my scope!
Old 11th November 2009, 20:42   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
guys! will VW make cars that common man can buy! When I go shopping for Maruthi/Hyundai/Honda, will i also be able to consider VW within my scope!
They have the B segment Polo to be made in India and launched sometime in 2011 that may be priced in the 5L bracket.
These advertised (the Touareg, Jetta and New Beetle) are CKD /FBU imports and so the quick launch.
Old 11th November 2009, 20:45   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
That's a great marketing strategy. First look at the newspaper, and i thought it'd be just a front/back page ad. But then i was shocked to see more of VW on every alternate page!

That's helluva money for advertising! they could have invested this money on the Polo and make it even cheaper for us!

Is the advertising worth it? 7 pages of this thread in just 6 hrs justifies it.
5.3 Crores to be exact was the money paid for the 'roadblock' advertising. Definitely bang for the buck!
Old 11th November 2009, 21:06   #142
BHPian

So many of you had a question about, what is Das Auto? which means "The car".

So already VW has started to confuse us with German.I hope VW doesn't fool us with their products.

Below is the link
VW’s new tagline: ”Das Auto” - MotorAuthority

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 11th November 2009 at 21:08.
Old 11th November 2009, 21:22   #143
BHPian

And also the advertisement on TV. they have it played every 10-15 minutes on many channels! I do not understand why, but VW surely want to make it big in India!
Old 11th November 2009, 21:33   #144
BHPian

I think VW and Porsche have cross equity ownership i.e. that both the companies own large equity in each other and most probably one owns the other. This might explain the similar advts.
Old 11th November 2009, 21:37   #145
Senior - BHPian

Talk about entering with a bang! Amazing ad campaign from VW. And the smart bit is that the ad campaign itself has got people talking which means even more publicity for VW.
Old 11th November 2009, 21:38   #146
Senior - BHPian

The TV Advert might have been taken straight from Porsche - BUT why not ?

First of all Porsche is now owned by the VW group so hence the copy or idea.

Secondly - In India Porsche advert is not being aired so no one knows about it. Me being an Auto Buff saw the porsche Ad first time in my life on Youtube.
Old 11th November 2009, 21:41   #147
BHPian

Pearl Harbor like attack.

Whatever the cost, VW got what they wanted. The ad delivered the message with a sledge hammer punch and established the brand in ONE DAY. So it was money well spent. I salute the persons who initiated this idea and who authorised the 'Go Ahead'.

Also it was spent better than paying a handsome amount to some good-for-nothing film star. Hindustan Lever is supposed to have paid Aish and Abhishek a mind boggling 25 crores for a Lux TV ad. Does any body even remember the ad. Did any body initiate even a single discussion about that. That was money down the drain.

By this VW has announced their presence and established their size as the largest auto maker in Indian public's mind. It also confirms that VW is here to stay as a serious player. It also informed the public about various new technologies.

Granted some of these technologies are already available in the market, but most of customers buy them without being aware of their function and benefits. Heck even the sales staff does not know about most of the technical stuff. The ad has also increased the technical awareness. I can now imagine asking customers from a Maruti or Tata salesman if their car has DSG box or a TSI engine. Just imagine the replies they would be getting from the sales staff. The number of posts on our thread "Comedy of Errors on India Dealerships" in going to increase suddenly.

Let us stop worrying about the money they have spent. Large MNCs have very deep pockets and this is small change for them. And they will a very very large adv. budget as the real blitz is going to roll out now.

Let us look forward to the customer benefits. As world's 2 largest car makers begin their full fledged Indian assault, more and better competition will mean better products and better services at lower prices. Dealers wil stop making arrogant comments like 'Honda is Honda Saar'. And VW is too experienced a company with too much money at stake so we can also rest our doubts about
not getting proper A.S.S.

Let us all now welcome Volks Wagen.

Last edited by akj53 : 11th November 2009 at 21:46. Reason: formatting
Old 11th November 2009, 21:48   #148
BHPian

Hmmmm, was looking out on youtube for VW ads. Most of them are this horrible.
Guess they stuck to the same ad agency for India.
Old 11th November 2009, 22:17   #149
BHPian

At the time of launching "people's car" campaign, the cheapest car VW has in any of its dealership costs around 12.7 lacs ex-showroom.

The roadshow seems mis-timed. They could have done it close to the launch of Polo.
Old 11th November 2009, 22:18   #150
Senior - BHPian

By the way, doesn't anyone remember Audi's "The Idea Behind Audi" in most newspapers and magazines around the launch of the new A4 ? It wasn't this in-your-face of course, but I was quite impressed with their effort. It had it's own appeal. VW's effort is more mass-market in its approach.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks