Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2012, 14:36   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5

Does one really need to make an advance booking ? Surely Hyundai will be able to offer enough cars to meet demand. The 15+ segment does not see 4 digit sales usually. It would have made sense to pre book a verna for example as the car was going to be priced at Rs. 9-11 Lakhs and that price range attracts 4 digit sales comfortably and manufacturers do struggle to dispatch enough cars to the dealers.

Last edited by nik_kapur : 16th July 2012 at 14:53.
Old 16th July 2012, 17:12   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
any news on the handling front? has hyundai improved the handling in this or is it like verna? it looks great otherwise...
One review says the traits of Verna are intact in the Elantra but another says it has better handling than the Verna. We just need to wait for the team-bhp review and our own TD to determine how it will fair.Knowing hyundai, they probably would have tuned the suspension soft since thats what most people want (and most wouldn't even notice the bad handling!).
Old 16th July 2012, 17:18   #183
BHPian

+1 nik_kapur. There's no reason to book Elantra in advance. Hyundai may want as many bookings as possible so that they can boast about the "X number of bookings" when they will be finally officially launching it and revealing about the price. Kinda like how a movie is declared hit on the day it's released.

Every Auto manufacturer is currently practicing this tactic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
any news on the handling front? has hyundai improved the handling in this or is it like verna? it looks great otherwise...
It's considered the best handling Hyundai but don't expect it to be in Jetta, Laura class in terms of handling. That's what most reviews/previews have said on the TV that it's better than Verna, Am also waiting for the complete T-BHP review . Handling is not Hyundai's forte, their USP has always been VFM. I'm hoping by putting the 1.6L Diesel Mill of Verna, they can price it much lower than the competition.
Old 16th July 2012, 17:31   #184
Senior - BHPian

When can we expect the TBHP Official Review to come out?
Old 17th July 2012, 10:59   #185
Senior - BHPian

Today's TOI has an advert for the Elantra.

2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5-elantra.png

Source : Article Window
Old 17th July 2012, 13:45   #186
BANNED

The Verna SXo goes upto 12.5L whereas, the New Sonata retails at 19L.

This leaves the Elantra to be priced between 13.5L all the way upto the 18L. Expect 6 variants of each engine type; however, 1.6D does seem to be a dampner; would have revelled the fact of having 1.8D under the hood (if not a 2.0)

For many, Elantra is the first of the Fluidic design car to carry the concept in the interiors. There will be very little deferentiating the Verna to the Elantra from outside, but expect a lot of beige leather to welcome one on the Elantra. As per SVP, the contours of the console immitate the design that is outside for Elantra (not so much for Verna, which has a simple waterfall console)

I sincerely hope they come with Cruise Control and a premium sounding ICE though.
Old 17th July 2012, 13:59   #187
BHPian

For the first time, I had more information than the dealerships here thanks to this thread on Team-Bhp and the early drive reports that surfaced on the internet. The sales team had a training next week where they will get all information from the horses' mouth.

The guys are already disturbed about the same engine duplicated in the Elantra and wondering what their sales pitch should be. The North American Car of the Year would be a trump card for people who are unaware of cars and buying a diesel. As all of you know, the North American Car of the Year is just the petrol variant. I don't think this diesel variant would qualify for any awards in that category in this segment. Compare the Fluence and Corolla, this car is better in many parameters. Compare the Laura and Jetta - you have more arguments. I feel its not the 126 bhp engine that will do things in favor for this sedan though it never is quite low with respect to competition in India - unfortunate that a car in the lower segment has the same engine. A 110bhp engine for the Verna and a 126bhp for this would have made things look a lot better. But Hyundai wouldn't want to spend a fortune creating a new engine for the Indian market, particularly when they can think of bringing IX35 (earlier Tucson) also to face the competition from other players.

One thing is a joy to watch - there are more segments and they are getting filled up. In one sentence, more choice for people like us.
Old 17th July 2012, 14:08   #188
BHPian

Does using the same engine as verna lead to lower prices. I sincerely hope this happens. But here in india, even toyota with a smaller engine is selling well. If its priced a shade above verna top end, it would be a vfm, IMHO
Old 17th July 2012, 15:38   #189
BHPian

The website Hyundai - New Thinking New Possibilities has got better - now is the time to have a look!

Hyundai is doing interesting things - bringing all early reports in one place!

You can book as well. And there is a contest too.
convivial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 13:15   #190
Senior - BHPian

I think the Hyundai I spotted with TC plates yesterday on ECR at around 10AM was this car. I noticed it for the good looks, first thought it looked very similar to the Fluidic Verna, but even better from the rear and by the time I thought all these, I completely missed taking a snap.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 18:36   #191
nbr
BHPian

Found this on facebook ,Hyundai Elantra surviving a Libyan Civil war, Surprised with the build quality of the Elantra .
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5-315434_10150906139407084_1147317831_n.jpg  

nbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 21:35   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post
The website Hyundai - New Thinking New Possibilities has got better - now is the time to have a look!

Hyundai is doing interesting things - bringing all early reports in one place!

You can book as well. And there is a contest too.

Is it just me... but don't flame me for it.... or is it smack in your face, that this is what the new Honda Civic should have been, rather than the Frankenstein styling that is coming out from Honda lately.

In fact, the Elantra looks reminiscent of the Toyota Celica GT to me in side profile that you can tell they kept the styling true to the classic sculpted shape of great coupe's and perfectly adapted it to a 4 door!

Smack in the face for Honda then.

Last edited by Vandit : 21st July 2012 at 21:36.
Old 21st July 2012, 23:27   #193
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr
Found this on facebook ,Hyundai Elantra surviving a Libyan Civil war, Surprised with the build quality of the Elantra .
Good Lord! That Elantra looks like it has taken a relentless barrage of fire from the tyrant Gaddafi's mercenaries riding in battle tanks and helicopter gunships That it is still in a drivable condition after all that is just unbelievable.

If one watches some footage of the Libyan Revolution, one will notice the large number of Hyundai cars - from Accents, Vernas, Elantras, Sonatas to Santa Fes and Tucsons of different generations. Apart from pick-up trucks, such cars were widely used in battle as transport by the rag-tag army of rebel fighters who overthrew the bloodthirsty dictator and his goons. Not surprisingly, Hyundai is the largest selling car brand in the country of Libya.

It is almost as if Japanese pick-up trucks (Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, Mitsubishi) and South Korean cars (Hyundai, KIA, GM-Daewoo) won the desert war for the Revolutionaries defeating the madman's battle tanks and armoured vehicles.
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:54   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
Thats definitely a Verna/Accent and not an Elantra. Please see the bonnet lines.
Old 25th July 2012, 20:45   #195
R17
BHPian

Got a call from a Hyundai rep today. I had expressed interest in the Diesel variants and today he provided the information that there will be 3 variants (so perhaps a confirmation of the scoops here) - Base, SX and SX Auto.

Point to note was that SX and SX Auto will carry the same features except for the transmission. The Base comes with 2 Airbags instead of 6 and loses out on the ESP, VSC etc. Also misses out on the Stop-Start button and comes with a lower grade upholstery.

He didnt have any pricing info but thought that the release would happen in early August. The SX, if priced reasonably, definitely looks interesting to me - loaded with way more features than the competition, comes across as a well engineered car and doesnt look too bad either.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks