Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 17:27   #181
Senior - BHPian

Hey Jose! Unlike Padmini, NE doesn't come with the chrome strip on the windshield beading.
Old 25th November 2010, 17:45   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Hey Jose! Unlike Padmini, NE doesn't come with the chrome strip on the windshield beading.
I think something is wrong with me. Anyways, the car looks really good. And I know that if there is anything non-original, you guys would have pointed it at the first place.

This is fine.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 26th November 2010, 00:44   #183
BHPian

Modified 118 NE

Almost the whole bottom part bodyline has been modified in this NE, including the bonnet, the Dikky and even the dash board[as mentioned earlier]. But the top portion of the car remains untouched. Not sure as in, what was in the owners mind while trying this mod.
Attached Thumbnails
118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-24112010001.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-24112010002.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-24112010003.jpg  

Old 26th November 2010, 01:21   #184
Senior - BHPian

I liked the engine in this car a lot. Premier should have modernized this car like Lada has and offered it to the taxi trade on the cheap.
Old 26th November 2010, 01:33   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I liked the engine in this car a lot. Premier should have modernized this car like Lada has and offered it to the taxi trade on the cheap.
with you. Even today while driving even an 20 year NE, you will hardly find any sound from the engine. Its only the fan that makes noise. There is no second thought about the 118 NE Engine and its Gearbox They are one of the best.

Last edited by GreenDay : 26th November 2010 at 01:34.
Old 26th November 2010, 07:15   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
Almost the whole bottom part bodyline has been modified in this NE, including the bonnet, the Dikky and even the dash board[as mentioned earlier]. But the top portion of the car remains untouched. Not sure as in, what was in the owners mind while trying this mod.
May be the owner wanted to have a Hyundai Accent or a new look but didn't want to loose the comfort, safety and performance of the mighty faithfull 118 NE. There are few people who want to try new things on the old car but very few turn out pleasing. As it is 118 is one of the simple yet best in it's class.

Hey GreenDay you have a very beautiful avtar it's like a painting, can you post the bigger size for us?

Last edited by chanu : 26th November 2010 at 07:17. Reason: adding few more words
Old 26th November 2010, 13:53   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Hey GreenDay you have a very beautiful avtar it's like a painting, can you post the bigger size for us?
Thanks Chanu The Photography and all the credit goes to karthik1100 a.k.a Karthik and funkykar's 118NE. Isn't it gorgeous? For now, enjoy this, will post some more pics asap.
Attached Thumbnails
118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-photo.jpg  

Old 30th November 2010, 22:12   #188
BANNED

Presenting Joy's BONE STOCK 118NE

Some work were done on its interiors today, and finally after a long stint with me the car has gone back to its worthy owner.
Attached Thumbnails
118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-imag_1893.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-imag_1895.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-imag_1899.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-imag_1820.jpg  

118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-imag_1821.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 30th November 2010 at 22:18.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2010, 21:40   #189
BHPian

I spotted this rare Viceroy!
Attached Thumbnails
118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]-spm_a0443.jpg  

Old 23rd December 2010, 13:39   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Presenting Joy's BONE STOCK 118NE
The car looks excellent after all the work! Great job!
Old 5th January 2011, 16:06   #191
BHPian

Re: 118 NE Club Bengaluru [NECB]

Hi Guys,

What a lovely thread! I love this car too. My uncle bought his NE in 1991 and since we were a huge family (we had 2 ambys too) we used to take this car out for regular picnicking and I how this car would just vroom past against all the other cars on the highway at that time. We kids used to fight over getting into it.

Now the scene is that I've finally got my DL and am planning to buy a used car. My budget is 2 lakhs. But now...after reading this thread, I'm considering asking my uncle to hand over the car to me as it's rusting there in his garage. (They haven't used it for the last 6 years, but they make sure that they start the engine once in every 3-4 months). I'll have to check what's the condition now. So coming back to my quandary please answer me the following questions:

1. Do you think it's a good idea?

2. What is the best mileage that one could get from this car?

3. How much for maintaining it?

4. Any good garages in Bangalore?

5. I can spend some money on modding it too...so any suggestions on that?

6. I love traveling, so will it be a good companion on highways?

Just gimme your suggestions. Looking forward to it
Old 5th January 2011, 16:51   #192
BHPian

NECB Welcomees you - Creative420,

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post

1. Do you think it's a good idea?

2. What is the best mileage that one could get from this car?

3. How much for maintaining it?

4. Any good garages in Bangalore?

5. I can spend some money on modding it too...so any suggestions on that?

6. I love traveling, so will it be a good companion on highways?

Just gimme your suggestions. Looking forward to it
1. Rusting is common in NE's, If the Engine is good you may think about restoring it. These days its has become difficult to find parts for NE's in Bangalore. You may also find NE parts in Gujiri [Shivajinagar].

2. The average mileage should be 8-10 in City and 10-12 on Highways.

3. All Oldies needs a special attention when compared to others.

4. Not all mechanics know to work on NE's, there are few mechanics in the city who treats the car like a baby and work on it.

5. What mods have you planned on your NE?

6. When you hit the Highway on NE, I bet you will get addicted to it. I have done couple of rounds Bangalore - Mangalore, Bangalore - Mysore, Bangalore - Kolar. It runs amazingly. Even Funkykar has done many long trips on his NE to Goa. You can Trust NE blindly.

Do share some pics of your NE.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:44   #193
BHPian

Thanks GreenDay for replying so promptly. I guess I should have shared some more info. The car is in Bhopal. I saw it in Feb last year. So one good thing is that it hasn't been affected by rusting problems that many people from coastal regions have mentioned. So I'll talk to my brother to go and check out the condition and click few pics of it from every angle.

BTW...How much do you dole out to maintain your car? Do you use it for office commuting as well?
Old 5th January 2011, 18:06   #194
BHPian

^^ Currently, I am using it only on weekends and sometimes it does do a trip to my office. Its only a regular maintenance and general service that costs hardly around 1k to 2k once in a quarter.
Old 5th January 2011, 18:14   #195
Senior - BHPian

Creative420, welcome! I appreciate your love/interest towards the NE. Owning, maintaining, enjoying the NE is altogether a different ball game. My suggestions would be:

1) Go for it if you are REALLY passionate and can afford to maintain it. Afford to maintain=Depends on how good the car is and what work needs to be done.

2) Its an old car. Like any old automobile, here and there once in a while it might trouble you. Are you ready to handle it? By the way, none of my old cars put me in a bad spot a single time. If it breaks down, it breaks down near a mechanic, if it runs out of fuel it happens in front of a petrol pump. I believe in a certain thing called "If you love your car, it will love you" and "If you take care of the car, it will take care of you".

3) Since your initial idea was to buy a car and not specifically NE, why dont you buy some other car (old or new) and then take up the NE as your 2nd car and enjoy it during non critical times like a lazy weekend drive?

4) The restoration costs and maintenance costs are subjective. It just depends on what is good and what isnt on the car.

5) For any old car, mechanics are difficult. For the NE, any roadside mechanic or old school mechanic will be able to repair it. If you can afford good money (more expensive than for a modern day car. Or simply say 2-4 times the average price of other machanics) for quality work, there is a place for that too.

6) Undoubtedly the best car to drive on highways. Even for the co-passengers. It cruises brilliantly.

7) On the mileage front, my opinions are different. A badly maintained engine improperly tuned engines would deliver 7-10kmpl in city and up to 12 on highways. Averagely maintained engines would deliver an easy 10-12 in city and 12-15 on highways. A well maintained and well tuned would easily deliver 12-15 in city and 15-20 on the highways. The best mileage I got in city was around 15.x a year ago.

8) I have done about 18k kms in city and highways on my NE in last couple of years and has been trouble free. This is my primary car. Even though I have a 2003 M800, I prefer my NE over it.

Overall, learn what your heart says, analyze what your brain says. Compile both and you would be able to decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks