Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 13:51   #1066
BHPian

I too feel a Ford will not be the right choice for a 1st car. As you mentioned, you are still learning to drive, and any repairs/spares will be costly, and since you are a novice, you are at the risk of being taken for a ride when repairing/servicing a Ford.

I would suggest the following cars:

1. Hyundai Accent: You can get a low mileage, fully loaded (GLS or GLX) 3 year old car for about 2.80. Repairs and spares are cheap and are available everywhere. Powerful car for a low price.

2. Maruti Esteem: Again, you can get a fully loaded 3 year old (VXi only, stay away from VX which I think does not have power steering) well within your budget. Cheapest sedan to own and run. Won't matter even if you treat it badly; spares and repairs are cheap and available everywhere. Any particular reason why you do not like Maruti?

3. Maruti Baleno: One of the best petrol sedans ever sold in India. But, it may be difficult to find a low mileage car in your budget. Spares will be more expensive than the above two, and body parts, switches, etc may not be readily available everywhere.

Since this is your first car and you want to keep it for your folks, I would suggest that you go in for a relatively low mileage sedan, one that is decently loaded, and for which spares are cheap and easily available everywhere. Hyundai, Maruti and Tata are the 3 manufacturers who can meet all these criteria.
Old 8th September 2009, 20:14   #1067
BHPian

What is the right price for a 2004 Toyota Corolla, done about 45K in decent condition? It is the top-end model with leather seats and all.

This car belongs to a friend and I am thinking of buying it. Need advise on fair valuation, so that I dont end up under-paying/over-paying him.

EDIT: The car is Bangalore-registered.

Last edited by Su-47 : 8th September 2009 at 20:18.
Old 9th September 2009, 15:01   #1068
BHPian

@newcoolgadgets, MileCrunche, r Parm
[Note:- Following argument is true for Bangalore Used Car Mkt, It might be true/untrue for other places]
But the thing is, for the same money I am getting 2 yrs newer ikon than Accent.
And for the same make and mileage I have to pay 75K-1Lac extra for Accent.
I understand the cost of owner-ship is lower in Accent as compared to the Ikon Flair.
But a head-start 75K-1Lac and higher FE for Ikon will not only nullify the ownership cost but also is advantageous(considering the fact that I would save 75K-1Lac upfront).
Correct me if I am wrong!!
Old 10th September 2009, 14:54   #1069

Maruti ZEN LXI 2004 Model

Hello Folks,

This is my first post on team-bhp. I have been following this community with great interest. I have this peculiar issue that I need your help with. I have May 2004 model of Maruti ZEN LXI (Pre Estillo model) bought by me. I am the first owner of this car. I am thinking of selling this vehice to my very close friend and am in dilemma at what price I should be selling this to him. He is a very close friend and I know that he will take my price and will pick up the car. The details of the car is as follows.
ZEN LXI - 2004 Model
AC, Power Windows, Power Steering,
Pioneer HU (3150 UB) recently fitted with 4 nos Alpine speakers
Single Owner, KMs run : 18000 (this due to my frequent short stays out of Mumbai for project work).
Mumbai registration. Insurance paid for one year till May 2010.
Honestly, want your expert advise on this to value my car so that I can tell him appropriate figure (not too low and not too high either).

Regards,
Satyajit
Old 10th September 2009, 16:44   #1070
BHPian

Looks like you don't want to feel you have charged your friend too high a price but at the same time you would naturally like to get a reasonable figure.

Suggest you go to a two or three used car dealers, like Mariuti True Value and others, get quotes from them and use those as a basis to decide on a price for your friend. Remember used car dealers do this for a living and therefore the prices you are quoted may not necessarily be the best you can get.
Old 10th September 2009, 17:03   #1071
BHPian

i guess anywhere between 1.7L-1.9L might make both of u happy.

Last edited by madhukar_n : 10th September 2009 at 17:08. Reason: wrong price.. thinking it was Vxi
Old 10th September 2009, 17:04   #1072
BHPian

You can also value the car on carwale.com
Old 11th September 2009, 10:22   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Advice needed on an Esteem.

Folks, I did not know where to post this, so posting this here.
I have come across a golden beige Esteem for sale, a '99 model, which has done 78,000 Kms. The owner claims to have recently kitted it with leather seats.
The trim level mentioned is LXi, but didnt the Esteem get an "i" appended to the trim + fuel injection post the 2000 norms? Please correct me if I am wrong, I am assuming its a carb LX till then .
Did the LX(i) come with front power windows in 1999 ? How reliable are carb Esteems?

Now I am not really looking for a car, and I dont even know if I need one.
Its just that I am bored of commuting to office in a bus for the past 2 years, or being driven there by suicidal cabbies. I stumbled upon this by accident on an internal company portal, and that made me go "hmm...." .
The owner wants 1.1L for the car. Though its higher than what carwale would peg its value at, i dont mind paying a higher price tag for hassle free, reliable motoring with a bit of fun thrown in.
What do you guys think?

EDIT : Mods, do let me know if this thread is an inappropriate one for the kind of queries in my post, if so, I can start a separate thread or repost in an existing "used car queries" thread (if it does exist). Thank you.

Last edited by sajo : 11th September 2009 at 10:28.
Old 12th September 2009, 01:44   #1074
BHPian

Hello,
So it seems I have finally finalized a Ford Ikon Flair, 2006, 36K Km driven at 2.65L(final), Third Party Insurance.
+ives:
[1] Car seems to be in good condition, extremely well maintained, owned by some Principal of some school. He was very careful and serious about his car about who is taking the test drive and not driving rashly while doing it etc.
[2] Stepney is unused
[3] Sony music system, good quality
[4] Reasonable price, I like the color
-ives
[1] Right tail light slightly broken, a cello-tape is used to cover the broken part(upper joining area)
[2] Slightly fishy: He bought the car from the same show-room 7-8 months back and was confused about his choice right from the beginning and hence has not transferred the car to his name while he/dealer claims he has all the documents to sell the car. He wants to buy a 2nd hand Tata Safari. I am slightly apprehensive of this, while it's ok for me as well as I will be, technically, 2nd and not 3rd owner of the car.
[3] Thrid Party Insurance

I have to make the deal very soon. Kindly let me know how is the price and what do you think of -ive point no 2.
Awaiting very eagerly.
Old 13th September 2009, 10:54   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Folks, I did not know where to post this, so posting this here.
I have come across a golden beige Esteem for sale, a '99 model, which has done 78,000 Kms. The owner claims to have recently kitted it with leather seats.
The trim level mentioned is LXi, but didnt the Esteem get an "i" appended to the trim + fuel injection post the 2000 norms? Please correct me if I am wrong, I am assuming its a carb LX till then .
Did the LX(i) come with front power windows in 1999 ? How reliable are carb Esteems?

Now I am not really looking for a car, and I dont even know if I need one.
Its just that I am bored of commuting to office in a bus for the past 2 years, or being driven there by suicidal cabbies. I stumbled upon this by accident on an internal company portal, and that made me go "hmm...." .
The owner wants 1.1L for the car. Though its higher than what carwale would peg its value at, i dont mind paying a higher price tag for hassle free, reliable motoring with a bit of fun thrown in.
What do you guys think?
Any opinions on the above..

Also, I happened to browse a few used car sites, and 2000 MPFi models seem to be priced only a few Ks more.
Old 13th September 2009, 12:52   #1076
Senior - BHPian

The 99 model of the Esteem will be a 'carb one' since MPFI's came in only post 2000. If I am not mistaken, the 'i' suffix is actually to denote 'power steering', the earlier 'power steering' models of the Esteem had the prefix 'VXPS'. The Esteem had a really great bullet proof engine and my Esteem is a testimony to that, it has done around 1.02L kms without any problems whatsoever and mine is a 'carb' model. Hope this helps you Sajo
Old 13th September 2009, 13:40   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by four.bytes View Post
Hello,
So it seems I have finally finalized a Ford Ikon Flair, 2006, 36K Km driven at 2.65L(final), Third Party Insurance.
+ives:
[1] Car seems to be in good condition, extremely well maintained, owned by some Principal of some school. He was very careful and serious about his car about who is taking the test drive and not driving rashly while doing it etc.
[2] Stepney is unused
[3] Sony music system, good quality
[4] Reasonable price, I like the color
-ives
[1] Right tail light slightly broken, a cello-tape is used to cover the broken part(upper joining area)
[2] Slightly fishy: He bought the car from the same show-room 7-8 months back and was confused about his choice right from the beginning and hence has not transferred the car to his name while he/dealer claims he has all the documents to sell the car. He wants to buy a 2nd hand Tata Safari. I am slightly apprehensive of this, while it's ok for me as well as I will be, technically, 2nd and not 3rd owner of the car.
[3] Thrid Party Insurance

I have to make the deal very soon. Kindly let me know how is the price and what do you think of -ive point no 2.
Awaiting very eagerly.
To me this one is a bit overpriced .. I saw one Ford Ikon Flair 2005 with 30K odd Kms in Odo for Rs 2.2 Lakhs negotiable .. That car was also in very good condition ... If possible try to bargain a bit more... Good Luck with your purchase.
Old 13th September 2009, 19:03   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
The 99 model of the Esteem will be a 'carb one' since MPFI's came in only post 2000. If I am not mistaken, the 'i' suffix is actually to denote 'power steering', the earlier 'power steering' models of the Esteem had the prefix 'VXPS'. The Esteem had a really great bullet proof engine and my Esteem is a testimony to that, it has done around 1.02L kms without any problems whatsoever and mine is a 'carb' model. Hope this helps you Sajo
Thanks for your input Kannan!
Does the price of 1.1 lakhs (owner does not want to negotiate) seem justified, if the car is in good condition ? I plan to check out the car tomorrow in person. Ohh, and the car is with its second owner currently.
The reason I am looking for cheap old cars is because then I can pay in cash and get the deal done quickly. However reliability, pocket friendly maintenance and peppy-highway friendly nature is what I am looking for.
Does the Esteem fit the bill ?
Old 13th September 2009, 19:12   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Carbs are good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
......... How reliable are carb Esteems?
Carburetted engines are extremely reliable. They have no electronics running them i.e. no sensors ECU etc. to fail without notice. Fewer parts means that things are pretty straightforward and any mechanic can get it running in case of an emergency.

The esteem's carb engine is a gem.

Cheers,
Old 14th September 2009, 02:13   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
To me this one is a bit overpriced .. I saw one Ford Ikon Flair 2005 with 30K odd Kms in Odo for Rs 2.2 Lakhs negotiable .. That car was also in very good condition ... If possible try to bargain a bit more... Good Luck with your purchase.
sam_boy, thanks for your input. Sorry, I didn't update: the final price was 2.4L + 5K commission of the dealer. And later I found out that the current owner has registered himself as 2nd owner of the car. So, I will be 3rd owner.
Anyways, I have been scouting and bargaining for a good Ikon Flair since last 6 months and have made a great deal of friends in the field, and I feel 2.65 was a reasonable price. 2.2L(negotiable) for 30K driven 2005 Ikon Flair in very good condition is an unbelievably great deal. I will negotiate and go for the deal right away, just tell me the contact details. I am ok too loose my 5K token money as well. No disrespect, but honestly I seriously doubt 2.2l(negotiable) for a very good condition 2005-Ikon Flair only 30K driven.

Most Viewed