Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 11:18   #3526
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Fiat Palio Multijet SDX
2008 model.
52,000 km run.
Coimbatore registration.

Bhpians, how much can i offer for this single owner vehicle?
Palios are terrible when it comes to depreciation and resale price.
For a 2008 model, you can offer a max of 3 lakhs. My opinion, bring it down to 2.6 lakhs if you can, since there wont be many takers for palios at that price.
Think about this, you will get probably 1.5 lakhs or slightly more if you are selling it after 2-3 years.
singleton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 18:47   #3527
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Fiat Palio Multijet SDX
2008 model.
52,000 km run.
Coimbatore registration.

Bhpians, how much can i offer for this single owner vehicle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
Palios are terrible when it comes to depreciation and resale price.
For a 2008 model, you can offer a max of 3 lakhs. My opinion, bring it down to 2.6 lakhs if you can, since there wont be many takers for palios at that price.
Think about this, you will get probably 1.5 lakhs or slightly more if you are selling it after 2-3 years.
+1 to this, I completely agree. In fact, at my friend's used car dealership, they don't accept Palios from sellers nowadays. Very few actually come in for sale, and even fewer get sold, occupying space in the yard for months together. The M-jets are by far, the best among the used palios. Of course, needless to say, puntos and lineas don't suffer so much from this problem as the palio, anyway it is too early to comment on their performance in the used car markets.

For someone who knows what he is getting into (read enthusiast), this is a superb opportunity to pick up this gem of a machine for a song.

Last edited by KarthikK : 29th September 2011 at 18:50.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 22:29   #3528
BHPian

What should be the price of September' 2007 model Maruti Wagon R Duo LXi, have run 75,000 kms, in decent condition, both petrol and LPG services done in regular intervals.

The OTR on Sept 2007 from Maruti was 4,19,000/-
Old 29th September 2011, 22:57   #3529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Guys tell me about this
Fiat Linea Emotion Pack
1.3 MJD
Black colour.
2009 registered.
Done 70000 .
All services done till date.
New tires , new brakes both front and rear.
Artificial leather seat covers.
Immaculately maintained.
Not a single squeak or rattle.
One literally has to see the odometer to believe that she has done 70 k.
What shall one expect ?
come on peepal!! some quotes will be nice
Old 29th September 2011, 23:00   #3530
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
Need some suggestion - a friend of mine is looking to buy a 2nd hand hatchback in Mumbai.
  • This will be his first car - he doesn't have much driving experience
  • Car is mainly for city usage (short distances)
  • Single user - so boot space/rear seat leg space, etc not an issue
  • Will be keeping this car for max 2 years, so resale might be a priority
  • Nano/M800/Alto/Spark - these are not in choice - he's looking at Santro & above
  • Car should not be old than maximum of 5 years, with budget of 2-3 lakhs

Considering the above requirements, I have suggested him to start with Mahindra/Maruti True value to get an idea of the options available.

What options can he expect to get in such a price range?
Old 30th September 2011, 09:13   #3531
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
come on peepal!! some quotes will be nice
For a 2009 MJD, 6.5 lacs would be a good price in Bangalore, since the OTR price here for 1.3 MJD emotion pk is around 10.3. Maybe 6L is a good price at your place. 70k kms is a really high mileage for 2 years. Were you travelling across the country throughout the year or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
Need some suggestion - a friend of mine is looking to buy a 2nd hand hatchback in Mumbai.
  • This will be his first car - he doesn't have much driving experience
  • Car is mainly for city usage (short distances)
  • Single user - so boot space/rear seat leg space, etc not an issue
  • Will be keeping this car for max 2 years, so resale might be a priority
  • Nano/M800/Alto/Spark - these are not in choice - he's looking at Santro & above
  • Car should not be old than maximum of 5 years, with budget of 2-3 lakhs
Considering the above requirements, I have suggested him to start with Mahindra/Maruti True value to get an idea of the options available.

What options can he expect to get in such a price range?
Keeping those 4 cars out, some others are -

- Santro - very good option as you pointed out. Fantastic resale. 10 year old santros still fetch 1.5L!
- WagonR - equally good as santro in the features/space. not many would like the looks though.
- Zen Estilo - this one has a slightly poor resale value from what I've seen. Good option anyway since it has the maruti badge
- chevy beat - a bit rare to come across this in the used car market, but I've seen 2010 beats going for 3-3.5L
- Palio / Palio Stile - would not recommend this to a first timer (if its a lemon, he will curse you for life) but I include this in the list anyway, since you can get a decent one within 3L.
- 06/07 swift - You might be able to pick up 06/07 petrol swifts (VXi) in the range of 3-3.5L.
- Getz - should be easily available in the 2-3 lac bracket. Practical and good overall car, expect some depreciation when you sell it after a few years.

If he is not averse to sedans, there are a couple more options for him

- Accent - 06/07 models should be available in the range of 2-3L.
- Baleno - good sedan in the range of 2.5-3L but I am not sure if it is suitable for first timers.

For a used car, these 2 are the only fill-and-forget type of sedans I can think of in that price bracket. The rest (read esteem, ikon, etc) I will not recommend to a new driver, each has its own share of problems. Overall my vote goes to the Getz - good space, decent power and good value-for-money for that price.

P.S - similar to Truvalue, Hyundai has its pre-owned car division called Hyundai Advantage. He can check that out too. They offer similar warranties and free service packages on used hyundais.

Last edited by KarthikK : 30th September 2011 at 09:20.
Old 30th September 2011, 09:42   #3532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
- Santro - very good option as you pointed out. Fantastic resale. 10 year old santros still fetch 1.5L!
- WagonR - equally good as santro in the features/space. not many would like the looks though.
Overall my vote goes to the Getz - good space, decent power and good value-for-money for that price.
I would recommend the first 2 vehicles - Santro and Wagon R. My personal preference would be Santro since most fo the used Wagon Rs come with an inflated price tag and I have never really understood the reson for such huge demand for Wagon R in the used car market(might help when you sell it though).
Santro -no nonsense car with good resale value, easy to use in the city, suitable for a first timer.
Getz - i would avoid this only because you have mentioned resale price after 2 years as one of your priorities. Getz will be a letdown in that case.
singleton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 10:03   #3533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
I would recommend the first 2 vehicles - Santro and Wagon R. My personal preference would be Santro since most fo the used Wagon Rs come with an inflated price tag and I have never really understood the reson for such huge demand for Wagon R in the used car market(might help when you sell it though).
Santro -no nonsense car with good resale value, easy to use in the city, suitable for a first timer.
Getz - i would avoid this only because you have mentioned resale price after 2 years as one of your priorities. Getz will be a letdown in that case.
Overall, Santro ticks all the boxes in his requirements.
True, the Getz would suffer a hit with depreciation. It is however 1 segment higher with more bells and whistles at almost the same price of a santro. Another recommendation would be the Swift VXi, it has the features of a Getz and the resale of a maruti. The used car market is being flooded with swifts of late. Buy 1 for 3.5L, use well and throw after 2 years for 3L that would need a slight increase in budget however.

If features are given more priority over resale, Getz/Swift. If resale value is of utmost priority, Santro/WagonR (santro has a better resale amongst the 2)

Last edited by KarthikK : 30th September 2011 at 10:06.
Old 30th September 2011, 12:00   #3534
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys I am looking forward to sell off my NHC Gxi 2005 model, done 55k kms, condition is good and I am the second owner. Bought the car from a known person when it had done only 3k kms. What will be a decent price for this in Delhi? Due to the recent price drop from Honda, the resale value has taken a hit. Carwale and TOI used car prices suggest that for a poorly maintained vehicle I should get atleast 3L. Rates for good cars are around 3.5L. But have they considered the recent price cuts by Honda and updated there database? Because the best price I got is around 2.7L in Delhi from a dealer. Individual will pay around 2.9 then I guess. Why the huge difference?
Old 30th September 2011, 15:08   #3535
BHPian

Handing over my 1998 1.5L City to a buyer today. Car's done around 1.35 L km (and still drives like a beauty). Paperwork is a mess (DL registered car, NOC taken 2 years back but no action taken in Kar yet, no tax paid, no nothing). I was in a hurry to odispose it off since I have no third parking (paying 100 bucks a day for second parking too!). So the buyer got lucky - 72 grand for a Honda sedan, all said.
Old 30th September 2011, 23:06   #3536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
Handing over my 1998 1.5L City to a buyer today. Car's done around 1.35 L km (and still drives like a beauty). Paperwork is a mess (DL registered car, NOC taken 2 years back but no action taken in Kar yet, no tax paid, no nothing). I was in a hurry to odispose it off since I have no third parking (paying 100 bucks a day for second parking too!). So the buyer got lucky - 72 grand for a Honda sedan, all said.
Your buyers is going to have a hard time but lucky in terms of car value. Honda for 72 grads, phew..!

My car was also DL registered when I was in Bangalore and used it for almost 3 years (had taken NOC while going to Bangalore). While moving to Pune, I sent the car back to Delhi and since I had taken the NOC long time back, RTO says the car needs re-registration and NOC from Bangalore

In Short, the buyer is going to drive the car, while it is registered in your name. I am sure you have a sale deed.
Old 1st October 2011, 01:26   #3537

Hi fellow car lovers,hunting for a used Linea ,found the one as below:

What Price to pay for
Fiat Linea TJet plus
Mfg Sept 2010
Regn : March 2011

Here's the Twist...
Car regd as a Demo-TD Car but used more as Display vehicle
Odo : 1700 kms

Had a test drive of the vehicle and was satisfied with the performance, looks brand new except for repaint done on door and Bonnet to repair minor scratches, no accident or dent on the car.
Also what happens to Warranty and free service? Will it be transferred to me?
Also prices have been reduced by 1.30L on this model.

Pl Advise about price & risks and checks to be considered in buying this car

thanx in advance
Old 1st October 2011, 08:11   #3538
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavu View Post

What Price to pay for
Fiat Linea TJet plus
Mfg Sept 2010

Here's the Twist...

Had a test drive of the vehicle and was satisfied with the performance, looks brand new except for repaint done on door and Bonnet to repair minor scratches, no accident or dent on the car.

thanx in advance
Personally, I would stay away from it if it had been used as a Test drive vehicle. The showroom guys usually disconnect the odometer and the "1700km" reading you mentioned may not be the true mileage of the car. Moreover, TD cars are abused to no end by prospective buyers, as you will be aware of. Try to get some expert to look at it and determine whether the car was actually abused or unused.

Considering the fact that the OTR price of a regular T-jet+ should come to ~10L now after the festive season discounts, for such a display car please try to bargain for 7-7.5L if you find it in satisfactory condition. Arguing point for bargaining - tell them it is not a regular used car since this has been touched (and probably driven) by hundreds of customers (with odo disconnected) so they cannot expect normal resale value

The service booklet, warranty card(s) and owner's manual, along with other documents, should be given to you if you buy the car so you can continue to claim the free services as usual.

Last edited by KarthikK : 1st October 2011 at 08:16.
Old 1st October 2011, 09:27   #3539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys I am looking forward to sell off my NHC Gxi 2005 model, done 55k kms, condition is good and I am the second owner. Bought the car from a known person when it had done only 3k kms. What will be a decent price for this in Delhi? Due to the recent price drop from Honda, the resale value has taken a hit. Carwale and TOI used car prices suggest that for a poorly maintained vehicle I should get atleast 3L. Rates for good cars are around 3.5L. But have they considered the recent price cuts by Honda and updated there database? Because the best price I got is around 2.7L in Delhi from a dealer. Individual will pay around 2.9 then I guess. Why the huge difference?
For used cars, there is always this disparity in the offered (marked) price and the actual sale price. If you go around used car dealerships looking for similar H.City(s) as yours, you will find considerably higher prices - maybe even as high as 4L. Used car dealers place the price tag taking into account 2 things - dealer's commission and bargaining margin of the buyer. Some sellers will be greedy and ask for a higher price with no room for negotiation. Ask around for how long those kind of cars have been in their yard. Chances are, such non-negotiably high-priced cars will lie unsold for months together.

If you see a City with a 3.5L price tag today that it doesn't deserve, no one will pick it up for a few months, then the seller automatically reduces the price a bit and tries again. If the car is a good one and the seller knows it is worth around 3.1-3.2L in reality (for eg.), he will deliberately price it at 3.5L to allow for the bargaining of 20-30k to happen in the final deal. Don't bother too much about the marked price you see in dealerships, cars rarely fetch that much.

Last edited by KarthikK : 1st October 2011 at 09:28.
Old 1st October 2011, 11:43   #3540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavu View Post

What Price to pay for
Fiat Linea TJet plus
Mfg Sept 2010

Here's the Twist...

thanx in advance
@bhavu - Prices have not been reduced by a full 1.3L. That's the highest offer you could get if you get a 10k corporate discount and you exchange your old car (20k as exchange bonus).

So effectively, the discount is around 1-1.05L. But nonetheless, TJet makes a lot of sense even at that discount.

I'd suggest you to stay away from TD/demo car. Apart from the odometer being disconnected, the TJet *MUST* have been driven hard by all possible lead-footed enthusiasts in town, not to mention hard braking, cornering etc. After all, everyone wants to check the Fiat stability and drive for free!
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks