Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 20:50   #91
BHPian

re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 17,000 kms & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by parassoni View Post
As always, Thanks for replying Rajain! Wonder if your travels will be part of a new travelogue post(or was it Business)?

I did get thru the address and even went and met up with the Owner -B.S. sheshadri i think of the Thane Franchisee! It's just that I wanted to know beyond the spiel, what all treatments to go for. Personally for a relatively new car, I'm planning the underbody anti-corrosion & Paint protect-i think its the basic one!

Anything else you would suggest?( Interior floors are laminated since Day1)

cheers,
Paras
Hi Paras

Yes the new travel led to a photologue - Its here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ay-2013-a.html

Beyond on the spiel I would say underbody anti corrosion would be the thing to go for. I had in my Opel Corsa Sail have lasted 10 years. Paint protection is really just very good cleaning and polishing. Perhaps if at all you want it done then have it done after the monsoons.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 15:36   #92

This question is probably specifically for Rajain. I use my Ertiga typically in the 5 people + luggage configuration (need to get Scorpio mats like you did!). The removed headrests from last row are a bit of a pain. Initially they were lying around in the trunk, then I tried keeping them in the foot area under the folded seats but then they started getting dirty.

So my question is what do you do with them? My best solution so far has been to keep them at home . I wish Maruti would have thought of a way to mount them on the walls with velcro or something.

ajay
Old 6th July 2013, 09:30   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajay0 View Post
This question is probably specifically for Rajain. I use my Ertiga typically in the 5 people + luggage configuration (need to get Scorpio mats like you did!). The removed headrests from last row are a bit of a pain. Initially they were lying around in the trunk, then I tried keeping them in the foot area under the folded seats but then they started getting dirty.

So my question is what do you do with them? My best solution so far has been to keep them at home . I wish Maruti would have thought of a way to mount them on the walls with velcro or something.

ajay
Hi Ajay

I also bought the Ertiga for 5 people plus luggage. I actually wanted a spacious vehicle and not necessarily a people mover. In the last 1 year only once has an opportunity come where I needed to seat 7 adults and 1 kid. Otherwise its mostly 2 people.

The headrests that I have removed from the vehicle are neatly wrapped and sitting at home in a small place where I keep vehicle related spares/parts/jack/fuel can etc. In olden days there used to be garages in the large houses and there used to be a couple of shelves where all this used to sit. These days most of us live closer to the sky (read apartments) and so I just have a small area in the utility space where it is sitting. Yes it does have the nice leather covering and so the packing. I will almost never need to use them but at least I know where in the apartment they are sitting.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 6th July 2013, 10:12   #94

Thanks Rajain. I guess we will all pretty much do the same as you did.

Still if Maruti is listening, they could add a simple mechanical to mount these headrests on the vehicle walls in the rear using Velcro.
Old 6th July 2013, 10:51   #95
BHPian

The storage space with a cover behind the rear most seat can easily hold headrests and other smaller items. I keep both the rear head rests, ropes ( for securing luggage on rack), a tripod for camera and some other smaller items in that space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajay0 View Post
Thanks Rajain. I guess we will all pretty much do the same as you did.

Still if Maruti is listening, they could add a simple mechanical to mount these headrests on the vehicle walls in the rear using Velcro.

Last edited by vinodv001 : 6th July 2013 at 10:57.
Old 6th July 2013, 16:12   #96
BHPian

This is how we are Storing head rests in the storage area.
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-img_5592.jpg  

vinodv001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 17:06   #97

Thanks for the photo, Vinod.

I guess this is a good idea too if that space is clean enough like yours :-).

Ajay
Old 6th July 2013, 19:27   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
This is how we are Storing head rests in the storage area.
Thanks Vinodv001

I also use that little space quite purposefully. I used to keep the headrests in there. Later moved them away. Right now there is a bottle jack, 2 umbrellas, some extra tools, extra headlight bulbs, air compressor and lots of tissues/old newspapers, car polish and a couple of cleaning cloths. That space is very well thought out and done. Easy to access and store sundry small items.

Personally, I wish they could have done a couple of more items -

a) Automatic climate control
b) An additional charge point
c) Sump guard - I am planning to get that soon
d) No harm if the fuel tank was 55 or even 60 ltrs.

I have now done 15.5K and I must say it has been impressive. Any long day behind the wheel is easily done. Plus flatten the middle seat and you have a ready bed.

Cheers
Old 6th July 2013, 23:50   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Thanks Vinodv001

I also use that little space quite purposefully. I used to keep the headrests in there. Later moved them away. Right now there is a bottle jack, 2 umbrellas, some extra tools, extra headlight bulbs, air compressor and lots of tissues/old newspapers, car polish and a couple of cleaning cloths. That space is very well thought out and done. Easy to access and store sundry small items.

I have now done 15.5K and I must say it has been impressive. Any long day behind the wheel is easily done. Plus flatten the middle seat and you have a ready bed.

Cheers
Sir
Just booked a Ertiga zdi
What should i check (specially for Ertiga) in PDI?
Any Do's & Don't for the new car.
Tips from you will be really helpful.
Old 8th July 2013, 10:59   #100
BHPian

Completely agree with you inn all the points and additionally I prefer a 50-50 split 3rd row seat.

Rajain, If you are able fix aftermarket sump guard, please let us know the details. I also wanted to instal one.

Quote:
Thanks Vinodv001
Cheers
Old 8th July 2013, 17:51   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Sir
Just booked a Ertiga zdi
Hi
Our tbhp website has a very exhaustive list of PDI - I would recommend that. I personally carried it when taking the delivery of the vehicle. Addtionally this is what I did before and after the delivery -

I Vehicle
a) Before you start the engine open the hood. A visual inspection helps. No harm looking for engine vitals - engine oil, brake oil, coolent
b) Start the engine, listen to the sound. Leave it like that for 2-3 minutes
c) Get orinted by the sales person. Don't be afraid to ask questions
d) Did you order any accessories? If yes check for their instal
e) Check all lights, wiper, indicator etc
f) Check AC, turn various knobs, lock/unlock

II Documentation
a) All payment invoices
b) Warrenty papers
c) Battery, tyre, key details
d) Temp RC (or reg as the case maybe)
e) Insurance papers

III Initial Drive - 'run in'
a) Don't rev above 2500 in the first 750-1000 kms
b) If you have a COCO bunk closeby stick to it. Check tyre pressure regularly
c) Do check for any initial engine sound as also for engine vitals
d) No hard braking, no hard acceleration
e) Preferably stop after 90-100 kms of drive and give the engine some time off
f) Stay on recommended service schedule
g) Drive the vehicle in almost all the conditions that you would normally do - good roads, bad roads, highway, city etc

Nothing so different than what you would read from other places or know from common sense but something worth following. Some colleagues may have a point of view that in III 'run in' some recommendations are rather old school and that new engines/vehicles no longer need such infant care...well that is also a point of view. Just that I am somewhat old school on this one.

Also, I did not take somethings they were adament on selling to me. The rubber mats for instance. Good for nothing. Chances are you will evaluate after market mats at some stage and like something. So why pay 1.5K for rubber mats.

Safe motoring and do post your experience.

Hope you found this useful.

Cheers
Rajain

Last edited by Rajain : 8th July 2013 at 18:13. Reason: Added content
Old 8th July 2013, 19:00   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Sir
Just booked a Ertiga zdi
Congratulations for the Ertiga ZDi. Good you chose the top end variant.

Quote:
III Initial Drive - 'run in'
a) Don't rev above 2500 in the first 750-1000 kms
b) If you have a COCO bunk closeby stick to it. Check tyre pressure regularly
c) Do check for any initial engine sound as also for engine vitals
d) No hard braking, no hard acceleration
e) Preferably stop after 90-100 kms of drive and give the engine some time off
f) Stay on recommended service schedule
g) Drive the vehicle in almost all the conditions that you would normally do - good roads, bad roads, highway, city etc
In addition to the above mentioned points by Rajain,

I would say change the engine oil during the first service whatsoever. The SA may say it is synthetic oil and doesn't require a change till 10000 kms but since the engine is new it better to add fresh oil to help the engine bed-in properly.

Try giving short bursts of high RPM (3000rpm) for a short time to let the engine touch those RPM's too. No harm in doing so but DO NOT keep it at high RPM for long.

Last but not the least: Do Not forget the 30 sec idling rule for the Turbo Charger. It is a preventive measure to keep you happy in during by less damage to the pocket.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 16:43   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I would say change the engine oil during the first service whatsoever. The SA may say it is synthetic oil and doesn't require a change till 10000 kms but since the engine is new it better to add fresh oil to help the engine bed-in properly.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Does Ertiga come with Synthetic oil by default ? I was under the impression that they add mineral oil for initial run-in and we have the option of switching to Synthetic during 10K service. my SA only said that you can decide to go for Synthetic or not at 10K service.
Old 12th July 2013, 18:56   #104
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Does Ertiga come with Synthetic oil by default ? I was under the impression that they add mineral oil for initial run-in and we have the option of switching to Synthetic during 10K service. my SA only said that you can decide to go for Synthetic or not at 10K service.
It doesn't come with synthetic but I meant was change the oil during the first service. I am not sure but the SA's here force customers to switch to synthetic from day 1.

During my Ritz first service I was asked to change the oil at 10000 kms and shift to synthetic oil. I refused and asked them to change the oil in first service for which the SA said "Sir, your engine oil life is 10K kms and no need to change it now!".

It is ideal to shift to synthetic after 15000 kms as the run-in would be completed properly be smoother in performance.

Cheers,
Anurag Shenoy.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 18:33   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It doesn't come with synthetic but I meant was change the oil during the first service. I am not sure but the SA's here force customers to switch to synthetic from day 1.

During my Ritz first service I was asked to change the oil at 10000 kms and shift to synthetic oil. I refused and asked them to change the oil in first service for which the SA said "Sir, your engine oil life is 10K kms and no need to change it now!".

It is ideal to shift to synthetic after 15000 kms as the run-in would be completed properly be smoother in performance.

Cheers,
Anurag Shenoy.
Namaskar Shenoy Maam.

So what i understand is this synthetic oil is more of a choice(or a trick played by MASS on naive customers)

I agree with you. Synthetic oils can some time delay the run-in. I plan to continue with normal oil and most probably change it during first service. After that let me decide on Synthetic oil during 20K kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks