Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2013, 19:10   #106
BANNED

re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 17,000 kms & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Namaskar Shenoy Maam.

So what i understand is this synthetic oil is more of a choice(or a trick played by MASS on naive customers)

I agree with you. Synthetic oils can some time delay the run-in. I plan to continue with normal oil and most probably change it during first service. After that let me decide on Synthetic oil during 20K kms.
Namaskar Maam,

It seems to be a trick being played to lure customers and get more money out.

It is good you stick to mineral oil till 20000 kms and later shift to synthetic oil. Synthetic costs Rs. 920/lt whereas mineral would be around 300/lt.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 20th July 2013, 20:05   #107
BHPian

Hi

At 10K service the MASS got my vehicle synthetic oil. Yes it does cost a fair bit but I have found the engine to be much smoother. Even in my 10 year old Opel I started to use synthetic oil when I crossed 100K.

Our other fellow bhpian, nurni, also recently got his 10K service has synthetic oil. It is correct that VW and other German vehicles give 15K as the drain period for synthetic oil but for some reason Maruti Suzuki keeps it at every 10K.

In fact in a long drive I had undertaken in Feb covering more than 3800 kms when I returned back to base camp Bangalore the engine oil was touching the lower end of the dipstick (also that I was at 10500 kms on the odo) and the service was due at 10K. But I am informed that right in the beginning the vehicle has mineral oil. Subsequent changes get synthetic oil. Though I am sure there is a choice.

Cheers.
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 19:04   #108
BHPian

Hi

An update of some significance. I have given the vehicle for a customisation for 'engine protection plate' Some colleagues may call it 'sump guard protection' I saw the material - thin strong galvanized aluminium sheet that will be cut and properly bolted right below where the engine is exposed.

My ten year old Opel had it as standard fitment (probably of iron) and I have always been a great fan of engine protection plate.

Vehicle is expected back within the day and I would be happy to upload pictures of the work done. I am informed that GC is not impacted and in fact this would keep slush from being projected up into the engine bay as well.

Stay tuned.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 29th July 2013, 16:56   #109
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for more details on this project. BTW, is the plate galvanized Iron or Aluminum? Will Aluminium plate is strong enough to act as a sump guard in case of any stone hitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hi

An update of some significance. I have given the vehicle for a customisation for 'engine protection plate' Some colleagues may call it 'sump guard protection' I saw the material - thin strong galvanized aluminium sheet that will be cut and properly bolted right below where the engine is exposed.

Rajain
Old 31st July 2013, 08:33   #110
BHPian

Hi

The sump guard work has been done and a good outcome. I will say better than I expected. The work was of course done customised. Ranjith Auto Care is the place I have trusted for all this kind work for the last several years. Ranjith has been a rally driver and modifies all sorts of vehicles - rally, race, expedition, extreme off roading and of course normal service of all sorts of vehicles.

I am attaching a not so great picture of the work done. The aluminium plate is a strong plate. It was cut to size and then bolted neatly. Turns out the very next day I had a scheduled MASS service and took the vehicle to Pratham Motors on Outer Ring Road. I must say their engineers were even more surprised to see this modification a few folks gathered below the car to ask what/why/how type of questions.

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-20130729_105713-1024x768.jpg

You will notice that the entire engine bay is covered neatly from any projectiles that may propel from under the tyre. The sheet also projects from any underbody scrapes. Also it reduces slush from being thrown up into the engine bay. It certainly won't protect from any bottoming out.

Post service at MASS the engineers were very easily able to bolt it back. And finally the GC has not been impacted. It remains what it was.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 08:51   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

You will notice that the entire engine bay is covered neatly from any projectiles that may propel from under the tyre. The sheet also projects from any underbody scrapes. Also it reduces slush from being thrown up into the engine bay. It certainly won't protect from any bottoming out.

Post service at MASS the engineers were very easily able to bolt it back. And finally the GC has not been impacted. It remains what it was.

Cheers
Rajain
I was thinking that this is a official work from Maruti for some specific reason. Looks like you got it done outside. The reasons pointed out by you are very valid but i wonder why manufacturer can not do this by default or at authorized service center as an option at least ?
Old 31st July 2013, 08:58   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I was thinking that this is a official work from Maruti for some specific reason. Looks like you got it done outside. The reasons pointed out by you are very valid but i wonder why manufacturer can not do this by default or at authorized service center as an option at least ?
Hi

I seriously wish Maruti (and other auto majors) were to give sump guards as standard fitment. No, Maruti did not do this and I got it done outside.

Thankfully the place I got it done is someone whom I trust and have known for several years.

And all fears/apprehensions were laid to rest when I took the car for service the very next day at Pratham and they were good. No problem at all from anyone. In fact the engineers there were saying plenty good things since they come across punctured/broken/damaged sump guards often.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 10:16   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I seriously wish Maruti (and other auto majors) were to give sump guards as standard fitment. No, Maruti did not do this and I got it done outside.

Thankfully the place I got it done is someone whom I trust and have known for several years.

And all fears/apprehensions were laid to rest when I took the car for service the very next day at Pratham and they were good. No problem at all from anyone. In fact the engineers there were saying plenty good things since they come across punctured/broken/damaged sump guards often.

Cheers
Rajain
Good work Rajain.
Can we get some technical details / cost etc.
One doubt. Is this cause any difference in engine temperature?
Wish if I can manage like this in Pune for my Ertiga.
Old 31st July 2013, 11:00   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And all fears/apprehensions were laid to rest when I took the car for service the very next day at Pratham and they were good.
Did you face any issue before or you opted to install sump guard as a preventive measure ?
Old 31st July 2013, 14:45   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Good work Rajain.
Can we get some technical details / cost etc.
One doubt. Is this cause any difference in engine temperature?
Wish if I can manage like this in Pune for my Ertiga.
Hi Kalinga
Thank you. Here are the details -
a) Sheet is aluminium which is also used in truck/bus floor and walls. Also has a 'self' design.
b) Its good for warding off flying stones/pebbles projected by the wheels
c) Fixing it took 2 days. Its custom cut and bolted neatly.
d) The bolts can be taken off for engine bay servicing.
e) The vehicle has also gone through a MASS service after this fitment and there was no issue at all. The MASS engineers simply removed the bolts and brought down the plate and later fixed it.
f) Cost is close to 7K
g) No difference in engine temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Did you face any issue before or you opted to install sump guard as a preventive measure ?
Hi Mpksuhas

I have scrapped the bottom a couple of times. There are a few roads in Bangalore these days which are as bad as Rani Nallah on the Rohtang pass (minus the climb). Even vehicles passing closeby project small pebbles which have cracked one car close to mine (a lancer). I did not face any incident but since I am used to driving a Opel which had a sump guard I was somewhat nervous driving the Ertiga since it does not have one.

Its a preventive measure for me and not something that is a after thought from an incident.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 31st July 2013, 14:50   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kalinga
Thank you. Here are the details -
a) Sheet is aluminium which is also used in truck/bus floor and walls. Also has a 'self' design.

Cheers
Rajain
I believe the design of this plate is same for Petrol & Diesel Ertiga. Or it is different.

If same can you share here the measurement design part. Sot that members like me can be get some knowledge.
Old 1st August 2013, 07:59   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
I believe the design of this plate is same for Petrol & Diesel Ertiga. Or it is different.

If same can you share here the measurement design part. Sot that members like me can be get some knowledge.
Hi Kalinga

I am not sure if the petrol and diesel engine bay measurements are the same. I am sorry I did not take down the measurements though if I go back to Ranjit auto care he may just have it. I suspect different installers would have a different way of approaching an install.

I will say one thing though - if one looks at OE fitment or a part that is sourced by manufacturer and then fitted out - that has a different feel altogether. For instance see what Ford Ecosport has. It looks and feels so different.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 7th September 2013, 13:13   #118
BHPian

Hi

Been a while since I updated.

I was preparing the vehicle for a long cross country drive which eventually did not take place. So the drive has been moved to next year.

I got it serviced. Castrol Edge is what I preferred considering that the upcoming drive was one long one. While that drive did not take place I would not rule out a shorter one to Mumbai/Ahmedabad or maybe Rajasthan too.

I also completed 1 year with the vehicle and crossed 17k mark. Absolutely trouble free. Total days spent at Maruti service station - 2 in the whole year. Both of these days were normal service. Completed within 4-5 hours. To me when I was buying the vehicle this was a critical benchmark.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-20130818_193050-1024x768.jpg  

Rajain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 20:45   #119
BHPian

Congratulations Rajain on completing a happy year with this great car. Your thread helped a lot in decision making. I am just About to Finish a month with my Silver Ertiga ZDi. I agree completely with your views.

Can you share the audio modifications mainly the model numbers and price of speakers , head unit, co axial etc. .

Considering dieseltronic upgrade seriously, what is your experience with different setting modes in terms of fuel efficiency?

I will be in Bangalore in mid October, will you be able to guide me regarding the sump guard modification as where can I get it done. The shop location and contact details would be more than sufficient.

Wishing you many more happy miles with your beautiful beast. ..

Last edited by drkritik : 7th September 2013 at 20:46.
drkritik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 02:13   #120
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 17,000 kms & counting

Hi Rajain,

You have one of the best reveiws and I wait for your updates. Congrats on completing 1 year with your LUV and also maintaining it so well. I have planned to buy the Ertiga too and will be placing my booking on coming Wednesday and hopefully it will be home before the end of this month. I am looking to book the ZDI probably in White or Dusky brown though colour not yet decided as I am afraid of the Dusky brown being more prone to scratches that would be really visible.

As far as I know, RD box is available in two versions at the moment - normal dieseltronic and also another improved dual channel box. I am not sure if the newer version is available for ertiga.

I would also be interested in the sump gaurd that you have installed. Can you please let me know the dimensions so that I can get that done here in Mumbai.

Thanks again and do keep updating your post regularly.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks