Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 04:55   #241
BHPian

Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
The JET is back!
Starting on the 2nd for a long 1500km drive. Shall update more once we are back from the trip.
Very much relieved that the JET is back and running. That's an awesome job done by VW. Good to know that the engine is smooth and good signs for a long journey. Drive safe!
Old 1st October 2014, 09:33   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Very much relieved that the JET is back and running. That's an awesome job done by VW. Good to know that the engine is smooth and good signs for a long journey. Drive safe!

Thanks Vijay. I'm more than happy with the work they have done. Excited about the drive. Will update once I'm back.
Old 3rd October 2014, 21:21   #243
BHPian

After a lot of thought, finally got the tbhp stickers on. For quite some time was in dilemma on what to stick and what not to. Always wanted an 'LTD' but somehow felt it would be a gaudy contrast on such a dark color.

Thanks to Rehaan, for his sweet colour combinatons. This one looked damn good on the Tempest shade and thanks to me figured out a decent position. Looks super stylish.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_4950.jpg

Old 14th October 2014, 23:14   #244
BHPian

1500km Update-

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_4959.jpg

By far this has been the longest trip for us so far. The car had impressed my father so much so that he had made up his mind to commute only in the Jet from now on. The car now has 6k kms on the odo. We had reached the destination in around 4:30hrs which would usually take 5 to 6hrs. We started at around 10:30am in the morning and reached the placed for lunch at around 2:15pm.

I for one have thoroughly enjoyed the Jet on this trip. In fact I was so greedy that I drove almost 1000km and the rest was covered by our driver.

The Ride-

The ride on the Jet is no doubt firm, but is never uncomfortable. Few of my observations.

•The ride is butter smooth on tar roads. Its limousine good. Hats off to the Multilink suspension setup. Almost all the undulations are tackled quite well.

•On broken roads there is a constant thud from the tires and the undualtions get transfeered into the cabin, again never uncomfortable.

•The suspension even took a few speed runs on wet rough patches of road and came out pretty decent.

Engine-

I run out of words every time I set to write about the Engine. The performance is that good. The DSG was something which all 3 drivers in this trip have enjoyed and were all praises for it. I wonder how would a remapped 170bhp Jet perform. The fuel economy on the entire trip was 18kmpl. We filled about two full tanks and by the time we came home 1/4th of the tank was still left.

Few niggles that I had noticed during the trip were

•The auto down functionality of the ORVM was no longer working.

•The pairing with Nokia 200 mobile was a disaster. The screen froze and no input given was being recognized, not even the power off button would work. This was when I had tried to play music from that phone.

•The driver side rear door handle had become firm and difficult to open.

Miscellaneous

•My poor grandma tripped almost all the time when she tried to get into the backseat. The door was so heavy that the 3 stage action hit her almost every time. The build quality is just too good. Hope the car doesn't develop any vibrations with age that are usually noticed in hatchbacks.

•I’m really bugged by this now. A child lock for all the doors would have given us a peace of mind. My nephew is a 5year old simian on two legs. A child lock would have been like a tranquilizer for him.

•The AC, I have heard a lot of complaints about it. But in this trip I found it to be very effective. In fact both and mother and grandmother were asking me to turn off the rear air con.

•With 5 of us on board. At places we had ground clearance issues. I never faced any in the city when I drove the car with 5 on board. By our driver did manage to kiss them once in a while.

•In urgent need of mud flaps for the car. A picture below will shout out my frustration.

•Gave the car a neat Sealant treatment before starting. The Jet was sealed including the wheels which saved a huge headache later while washing the car

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5136.jpg
Sealant holding up good.

My frustration as you can see below

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5130.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5135.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5141.jpg
Back to its glory, after a Shampoo wash.

Workshop visit for niggles

•The ORVM issue was funny, I was told that the ORVM knob should be left in LEFT side position for the mirror to change when slotted into reverse. So problem solved.

•Got the oil change reading changed to 10k kms. A few pages back I was wondering why the inspection was being shown at 26k kms. The inspection reading is something which would be set by the computer itself is what I have been told. So giving it a miss for now.

•The door handle solution was something I couldn’t digest. They tested the door my giving it a multiple bangs (unfortunately in front of me) and checking as it why was the handle getting stuck while pulling it. They lubed the required parts and the door latch positioned was adjusted. Not totally satisfied with the result but can live with it. ( Or may be would re-check with other VW workshop ) Noticed that a small transparent rubber material located under the tail lamps has protruded out a little. I feel this was because of the testing they did.

•Got the Exhaust position adjusted.

While testing the doors Mr. Anvar saw the discomfort in my face and was telling me that the customers were not allowed inside for this very same reason. The testing process is something no customer would appreciate is what he had to say. At least he read my mind. I was going nuts inside.

Visit to 3M

Been to 3M recently for a small PPF job. I had noticed a diesel additive over there, on enquiry I was told that the injectors etc would be cleaned so gave it a try. A tank full of fuel is required. A second top up is a must and there on can be refilled once every 3k kms. Also planning to get a Carbon fiber wrap for the window lining. A test material pic below. Asked them a small piece for a test spot. Will see its durability this month and will go ahead with the entire area.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5290.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5292.jpg

Apologies for such poor quality re-sizing of pics. Posting from work laptop which has no proper re-sizing tools.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 14th October 2014 at 23:32.
Amarendranath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 00:53   #245
BHPian

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1413746482.814233.jpg

Have been getting a steady mileage between to 12kmpl to 14kmpl on the city which includes rush hour and free moving traffic. However in typical stop start traffic I see figures drop to 6kmpl to 10kmpl.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 08:17   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post

Have been getting a steady mileage between to 12kmpl to 14kmpl on the city which includes rush hour and free moving traffic. However in typical stop start traffic I see figures drop to 6kmpl to 10kmpl.
MID figures are approximate at best. The most accurate way to calculate mileage figures would be the tank full to tank full method. MID is always real time and does not consider the entire range at times.
Old 20th October 2014, 09:58   #247
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post

MID figures are approximate at best. The most accurate way to calculate mileage figures would be the tank full to tank full method. MID is always real time and does not consider the entire range at times.
I disagree here. Yes that they aren't point to point accurate but if the owner does calculate MID vs Full tank calculation figures for every full tank done and obtain a trend, then one can establish how actuate the MID is giving out data.

I keep doing it for every full tank and have established that the MID vs real tine data has a difference of 0.5 kmpl. The MID reads more vs the real time data.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 10:14   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have established that the MID vs real tine data has a difference of 0.5 kmpl. The MID reads more vs the real time data.
I'd tend to agree with this. The difference is not as substantial as one would have you believe. I guess the MID shows more only because it tries to paint a more optimistic picture, but all said and done it is reasonably accurate, although not perfectly on point as a tankful-to-tankful measurement.
Old 20th October 2014, 10:22   #249
BHPian

My understanding of the MID is mostly from the ANHC A/T and it shows very optimistic figures. And i don't question the authenticity as such just said it's more on the lines of approximate and not accurate.

For instance on a highway run when on a full tank the MID shows a range of around 500kms but runs dry by 400kms. This is when filled up mid way through the run so the driving style doesn't change per se.

Last edited by zombiedriver : 20th October 2014 at 10:25.
Old 20th October 2014, 12:57   #250
BHPian

Quote:

I disagree with you here. Like Anurag said, there is a minimal deviation on the MID when compared to the real time figures. I had done this tank full test recently and there was no major difference. The MID displays an average of 18 kmpl where in real time after calculating the actual figures, i ended up with the same value. So i feel the reading is mostly somewhere near accurate.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 20th October 2014 at 12:58.
Old 20th October 2014, 17:19   #251
BANNED

Quote:
For instance on a highway run when on a full tank the MID shows a range of around 500kms but runs dry by 400kms. This is when filled up mid way through the run so the driving style doesn't change per se.
In the Swift the MID gives out data till the range displays 80 kms after which it becomes "--.- km/L"

I haven't come across it giving data till it is dead zero which should never be done.

Anurag.
Old 20th October 2014, 18:20   #252
BHPian

Quote:
In the Swift the MID gives out data till the range displays 80 kms after which it becomes "--.- km/L"

I haven't come across it giving data till it is dead zero which should never be done.

Anurag.
That's definitely not the case with the ANHC. I've driven without a refill till it touched 10kms (range). The same goes for my brother in laws F30. I'm beginning to think the way the MID works is probably different for different manufacturers.
Old 20th October 2014, 19:48   #253
BHPian

Quote:
This is a first i have heard. The info usually stays till 10km or less.

Quote:
I'm beginning to think the way the MID
works is probably different for different manufacturers.
I agree, looks like VAG MID's work in a similar fashion. Not sure about other manufacturers. Found the MID on these cars to be convincing enough.
Old 4th November 2014, 15:00   #254
BHPian

Badhrachalam and Papi Hills

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_6002-medium.jpg

This was a sudden plan out of the Blue (at least for me). My aunt and uncle were travelling to Badhrachalam, invited/requested us to tag along. I was still on bed and it was 5am in the morning when they had arrived. Nothing made sense to me and I was still sleepy, everything was being rushed and I had to pack for the trip and be ready by 9am. What a weird way to start your day. I refrained at first, until I heard “We are going in the JET”. Here on I was acting as if I was the one who had planned the trip. The JET was in pristine condition as usual. The driver had come in at around 10am and by 11 we were off to Badhrachalam. So it was 2 cars. Honda city and the JET.

It was around 1:30pm when we stopped for lunch at Khammam. We stopped at the AP tourism restaurant (with Telengana bills pasted all over) and the food was decent enough. We reached Badhrachalam sometime in between 4:00 and 4:30pm. We had to maintain a steady speed of 80 to 100kmp. This way our uncle could catch up with us, he as a driver never crossed 100kmph. I had a tough time maintaining the same and most on the time left the Cruise control toggle on. My dad knew a local guide over there and after a 30min halt we started off to Parnasala along with him. We wanted to cover this place before it got dark and pushed the temple visit to later in the night. Parnasala was the place Ravana abducted Sita. It’s about 24 km from Bhadrachalam, which would take almost an hour or so to reach as the roads were in a pretty bad condition. As a result of the road conditions and undulation both the cars had to take a belly scrape. Nothing major though. We reached Badrachalam by 7:45pm and after a quick bath we head to the temple at arounf 8:30pm. The temple was luckily open till 9pm and we had a pleasant darshan without any wait time as there were hardly any crowd in the temple during that time.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5883-medium.jpg
A close up shot of the temple at Badhrachalam.

Few Shots from Parnasala

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5885-medium.jpg
Imprints of Sita's Saree's.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5887-medium.jpg
The 21feet Long Kanduva was laid here for drying.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5889-medium.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5890-medium.jpg
This is the foot print of Lord Rama.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5892-medium.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5894-medium.jpg
Ravana Avataram

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5901-medium.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5898-medium.jpg
The exact spot from where Ravana Abducted Sita.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5935-medium.jpg
The Godavari, 5am dip here was shivering.

The next day was entirely dedicated to Papi hills visit. There are a few options/packages for this trip. Starting from AC boats to beachside parties etc. We took the very basic one as we had to return back to hyd the very same day. We started at around 8:30am to Pochavaram, the place where the boats would begin. Pochavaram was about 70kms from Badhrachalam. One the way the city had a puncture and also my uncle had forgotten a refuel the previous day. The JET still had another half tank of fuel so we had nothing to worry According to the locals there was no fuel station (there was one, after 15km from badhrchalam and it only sold diesel) for about 30km from pochavaram. A total of 100km till where the city would not make it and also it would ruin the day. The roadside vendors seem to be well aware of this situation, they don’t sell water but they do sell petrol at 85/- a liter. With a grumpy look on my uncle’s face who had to fill around 10 liters. we head to Pochavaram. The roads here are quite risky.
  • Being forest area, traveling at night not at all recommended.
  • Roads are very very narrow. A single lane where two cars is a squeeze and one vehicle must definitely go of road.
  • The road has a huge traffic of grazing animals like sheep and cattle. Had many shiver in the spine moments when passing by them in the JET. A single scrape would cost a fortune to fix.
  • The roads were decent enough from Badhrachalam to Kunavaram(Village before Pochavaram), with a mix of good and bad tarmac.
The narrow roads with luscious thick and dense forests. Looks beautiful. I refrained from clicking any pics of the car as it was quite risky. After 2 hours of toilsome drive. We finally reached Pochavaram and Papi hills boat ride was on. I have nothing to write about this place. One has to experience the serenity of this place. It’s very difficult to pen down the beauty of this place.

For the first two hours, the time flew by, as the boat crew had a few entertainment programs. Both my Mom and Dad were pulled and given the best couple award of 2014.

The first halt was at a lord Shiv temple, I didn’t pay much attention to the details from the guide. All I heard was that this place had a water stream which was cold throughout the year and that the water was sweet in any weather condition. Believe me you would stop drinking mineral water once you taste this water from the stream. The boat crew had arranged for a lunch where all the boats used to halt and it was a common arrangement for all the tourists. I personally did not like the food and stuck to fruits as my lunch for the day.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5982-medium.jpg
A stream of minerals

After lunch, The boat was now moving towards the papi hills. Papi hills, this name was given as a metaphor which describes the parting of hair seen on most of Women (Goddess during those times). Pictures would explain more. I felt that winter or Rainy season would be the best time to visit this place to experience the climate and greenery. The entire scenery looked hazed out due to the scorching heat. However driving down is not recommended during rainy seasons.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5955-medium.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5958-medium.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5970-medium.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5972-medium.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5976-medium.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5978-medium.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5999-medium.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_6069-medium.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_6003-medium.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_6010-medium.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6069 Medium.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1305345

Things that I understood after this trip
  • Lord Ravana was a Brahmin, an astrologer like never before. Rama sent Lakshmana to Ravana to set a date and time for the war.
  • Kusudu was the only son of Sita.
  • Lord Venkateswara statue at Tirupati is actually a statue of Goddess Durga.
  • Lord Rama’s height was 21 feet.
There were many other interesting facts that I go to know, but only mentioning a few here.

Throughout the trip, Never faced any issues in the trip with the JET. Excellent visibility at night, A sweet suspension and that beautiful DSG. The entire trip was done only in 1 full tank and and additional 5 liters may be. The needle is still very close to full tank after the second re-fill. But I’m in urgent need of mud flaps. Something that would make cleaning the car easier. The elite i20 comes with beautiful set of mud guards. Want similar ones for the Jet, which would not alter the aesthetics of the car.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_5122-medium.jpg

Last edited by Amarendranath : 4th November 2014 at 15:08.
Amarendranath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 18:03   #255
BHPian

Very happy with the fuel figures that i have been getting in the city. I'm not sure if this is because of the Diesel additive. Have been getting a steady figure between 13 to 14.5 kmpl in Moderate to Heavy traffic.

A total of 2 top up's are to be filled. Currently waiting for the second bottle from 3M. Thereafter, a top up of 2000 km is recommended. However i will get a top up for every 5k kms.

Do diesel additives cause calcium deposits inside the fuel tank or are they safe.?? They are advertised as cleaning agents for the fuel tank.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks