Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 22:15   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Thank you Viddy for the clear explanation. I did see the damage today so now I have understood what the condition was.

Won't there be any structural issues when the running board is cut and re-welded?

Attaching the image showing the damage area:

Attachment 1267423

Is it enough to cut the damaged area or the whole running board area?

Anurag.
There won't be any structural issues cause they are just cutting the outside panel and the underlying frame.

The area marked in red is too small, I think it will be a few inches more. Depends on easiest place to make the cut without having too much alignment issues.
Old 29th July 2014, 09:52   #122
BHPian

Thank you viddy for all the information. I now know and can go accordingly without any dubious claims by them ( if at all any ).

Just a thought. May be having the mud flaps installed would have saved the board from damage. If they were installed then the clearance would have gone down further. That's the reason we refrained from getting them installed.
Old 3rd August 2014, 03:38   #123
BHPian

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Small Update

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1407017079.592459.jpg

The running board part is apparently not available with them and would take 10days time. ( expected the same ) Meantime they have given me an estimate of Rs 50,000 for the job including door and running board. The running board which comes as a seperate piece costs around Rs 30,000. Got the wheel alignment checked to make sure the impact didn't affect the wheels. So things will get back to normal after quite some time.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 3rd August 2014 at 03:50.
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:59   #124
Senior - BHPian

Well that's good to hear. It'll cost a very pretty penny, but at least it'll be fixed up. Let's hope 10 days is 10 days!
Old 3rd August 2014, 13:58   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Let's hope 10 days is 10 days!

Exactly! They placed an order in front of me, so from Pune I hope no shipment delays.
Old 4th August 2014, 02:14   #126
BHPian

Got the stem caps a while ago. They look decent. I hope they don't get flicked. Maintaining a tire pressure of 35 at the rear and 33 in the front.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1407098567.967740.jpgTempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1407098594.803643.jpgTempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1407098622.672479.jpg

Last edited by Amarendranath : 4th August 2014 at 02:17.
Old 7th August 2014, 20:42   #127
BHPian

Noticed something weird today. The ORVMs wouldn't open even after turning the knob. The more I fiddle I happen to notice that the mirrors started opening one after the other. Once again turned down the knob and set it to level 0, then both the mirrors respond at once. Did anyone notice the same ?
Old 7th August 2014, 21:30   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Noticed something weird today. The ORVMs wouldn't open even after turning the knob. The more I fiddle I happen to notice that the mirrors started opening one after the other. Once again turned down the knob and set it to level 0, then both the mirrors respond at once. Did anyone notice the same ?
Yes. I noticed this behavior once, but never happened again. Should be some rare bug with the controls.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 22:55   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Yes. I noticed this behavior once, but never happened again. Should be some rare bug with the controls.
I too have noticed this particular odd behavior once with my Superb.
I guess Skoda and VW share these parts also?
Old 7th August 2014, 23:07   #130
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post

They share many such parts anyway.

The problem could be a minor bug but if it repeats then it'll need attention.

Anurag.
Old 8th August 2014, 09:17   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Indeed, Most of the parts are shared. So similar behavior all over i guess. Even i coding would be similar for these components.

Quote:
They share many such parts anyway.
The problem could be a minor bug but if it repeats then it'll need attention.
Seems like a rare bug as Graaja mentioned. Shall watch out for the same.

Another weird thing that i noticed is, the Bluetooth functionality has a glitch. The phone when connected to the cable inside the glove box, doesn't work after the first call. This is specific to the music, after receiving a call the music no longer works. However on wireless connection no such issues.
Old 8th August 2014, 09:24   #132
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post

Seems like a rare bug as Graaja mentioned. Shall watch out for the same.

Another weird thing that i noticed is, the Bluetooth functionality has a glitch.
Try and check if your firmware needs any update or sorts.

When you visit VW do ask for the check.

Anurag.
Old 8th August 2014, 09:37   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Try and check if your firmware needs any update or sorts.When you visit VW do ask for the check.
The last visit, checked the same. He said the last update was in December 2013. And all the 2014 models have come updated according to him. Shall check with other Jetta owners and workshop guys if there has been a new software update.
Old 19th August 2014, 18:41   #134
BHPian

Being traveling for a while now. Finally updating the thread. Been on a short drive to Warangal recently. I thank Anurag(BHPian) for joining me on this drive. It was a short drive of about 400km. Visited the Warangal fort. We could not manage to visit the famous 1000pillar temples, alas there is always a next time.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0451.jpg

Few shots while on the way

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0459.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0460.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0465.jpg

After sighting of the below we clearly understood why the place was called a fort.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0497.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-photo111.jpg

Few shots again at the entrance, I had to make it clear that the Jet had entered into the ancient fortress

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0499.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0500.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0505.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0510.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0506.jpg

Ruins near the fort.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-photo9.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-photo10.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0517.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0520.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0530.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0532.jpg

There are exactly two pics in the above bunch that were clicked from the iphone 5s. Can anyone guess which were those?? Both of us were flabbergasted by the quality of the iphone. It could easily match up with the quality of a DSLR.

Well the actually fort was nothing but a dome and that's all of it. I was expecting something close to Golconda fort.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0540.jpg

Every time i go out for a drive, i come back with a smile. I wish i could drive the Jet more. The car has clocked around 3500km till date and few of my observations as below.

Build Quality:

Top class! Thumbs up to VW on their products and the quality they offer. I literally mean it, even their entry level products feel sturdy and well built. And the is nothing but a rock solid tank on four wheels. There are few minor quirks like the window rattling at times ( very minute) that's audible on utter silence inside the cabin or few hard plastic bits here and there, but i'm totally fine with those. After all i cant expect quality and aura of super luxury cars on a car that's half their price.

Ride and Handling:

The ride and handling definitely has to be applauded. Sharp curves, bad roads, speed bumps and etc are handled quite well. I never drove the F30 BMW but compared to the E90 the Jet doesn't crash at potholes like the E90 does. Also i'm not sure on this but there seems to be a negligible body roll. I could easily play with the car at speeds above 80kmph on the twisties and boy i feel like an F1 driver doing this. The steering has a very good feel to it. It weighs according to the speed. The multilink suspension feels like the trade mark Volvo air suspensions at high speeds. Not once till date i had noticed the vertical movement at the back seat ( Well i was hardly at the back seat, but mom, dad say so). However, there is a 'thud' sound while passing on broken roads at speeds below 50kmph.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0452.jpg

Note

I had uploaded the above picture just to demonstrate the steering weight. I do not encourage any stunts on the road nor indulge in high speed rash driving. I was not hired by any stunt driving school either. The steering weighs up quite a bit at high speeds and that's all the pic has got to say.

Fuel Economy:

I'm all smiles in this area. The 2.0 TDI seems to be a very efficient and fun to drive motor at the same time. I could finally master the learning curve ( if at all any ) to achieve the magic numbers. At a constant speeds of 70kmph to 100kmph and with cruise control i could achieve 26.4kmpl. This was at night. In the city i have been getting something around 12.5kmpl to 14kmpl. I keep getting carried away whenever i see that figure and drop down the figure. The warrangal drive we could manage 17kmpl. Overall until the Jet is not slotted into 'S' we can easily manage efficiency figures of 15kmpl to 20kmpl.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-dsc_0492.jpg

While returning from warrangal, there was a stretch of traffic and still we/Jet could manage around 16kmpl.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-photo-3.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-photo.jpg
This is was the stretch from which we could manage the above figure

Engine:

Its a fountain of torque. Albeit being an automatic, there is only a minute lag in the first gear or so and that's it there ends the story of turbo lag and every other lag possible. The engine never feels sluggish nor does it break a sweat to plant a smile on our face. In fact i find myself getting carried away quite often. The engine is never lazy. It manages to cruise at 100kmph while the needle hovers at around 1200rpm. But the minute throttle inputs are given the cars quickly picks up without any delay. I never found the need to downshift while overtaking, may be the kick-downs have been spoiling me. All said and done in the 'D' mode. The 'S' mode in one word would be 'HULK'. It completes transforms the Jet into a monster. The torque gushes in and pulls the car till 4500rpm. The 'S' mode is a addictive and the "Fun to drive" is completely justified here. To sum it up, a great engine, totally fun to drive, economical, harmonious with the DSG( i don't think i have to talk much about this engineering gift ). A beautiful combination altogether.

The parting shot were Mr. Anurag had left with a lot of grief and Morose on his face after driving the Jetta

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-photo-5.jpg

Last edited by Amarendranath : 19th August 2014 at 18:59.
Amarendranath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 19:08   #135
BHPian

Will you remove that plastic cover from the speedo console already! looks totally out of place!

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks