Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 19:12   #136
BHPian

Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Will you remove that plastic cover from the speedo console already! looks totally out of place!

Rohan
Yes sir! Will do it as soon as the car is back. I actually gave it a miss somehow. That's the only cover left inside the car.
Old 19th August 2014, 19:54   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Been on a short drive to Warangal recently. I thank Anurag(BHPian) for joining me on this drive.
I was more than happy to join you on the drive to Warangal!

Coming to the car:

A beautiful piece of engineering that looks class apart specially in that shade of Blue.

All the discussion that was happening through the drive was DSG & DSG!

A hoot to drive in the D mode, cant really imagine how it'll be in S mode and the time while in traffic I am searching for the clutch pedal and trying to change gears!

Quote:
The parting shot were Mr. Anurag had left with a lot of grief and Morose on his face after driving the Jetta
LOL!

Quote:
Will you remove that plastic cover from the speedo console already! looks totally out of place!
Sirjee, he is a detailing and neatness freak. Hence that plastic cover remains there.

Anurag.
Old 19th August 2014, 23:04   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
A beautiful piece of engineering that looks class apart specially in that shade of Blue.
cant really imagine how it'll be in S mode
The 'S' mode for me was unprecedented. It would most definitely blow your mind as well.

Quote:
Sirjee, he is a detailing and neatness freak. Hence that plastic cover remains there.
Drive clean buddy. Always drive clean.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 19th August 2014 at 23:05.
Old 20th August 2014, 07:36   #139
BHPian

Quote:

Anurag.

Anurag I made that comment knowing how much he likes to keep the jet clean! That's why I was surprised to see that plastic there, ruining the clean looks of the interior. I am sure he doesn't want to deal with any gum residue and that plastic is coming off sooner than later!

Rohan
Old 20th August 2014, 07:55   #140
BHPian

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:

Rohan

I couldn't live with those protective plastic films. Be it in the car or a gadget, home appliance or even the tiny plastic on the AC remote screen, first thing I do is pull it off and it's so nice to see it clean without that plastic film. And I love to maintain it that way.

On the long run, the edges of plastic will dirty the surface more than without it. No offense to anyone who likes to leave it on but isn't it cleaner and much better looking without it? On the positive side, it's good for the second guy who owns that car or whatever gadget it is!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 08:16   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Anurag I made that comment knowing how much he likes to keep the jet clean! That's why I was surprised to see that plastic there, ruining the clean looks of the interior. I am sure he doesn't want to deal with any gum residue and that plastic is coming off sooner than later!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
On the long run, the edges of plastic will dirty the surface more than without it. No offense to anyone who likes to leave it on but isn't it cleaner and much better looking without it?
Okay let me tell you guys why i must have left it there. Whenever we visit few famous temples, we have a habit of getting the pooja done. As a part of the pooja the temple priest would apply the thilakam all over the car, and even on the MID display. The thilakam is so powerful that it leaves a yellowish hue on the surface. The last thing i wanted was a cloudy MID. And hence the cover still remains. The liquid or the residue doesn't hold on to the perforated plastic material, but on a glass or metal the yellow hue is definitely left on the surface which again would cause scratches etc while trying to remove. As for the dut accumulation , i take a soft paint brush and dust the MID so that it doesnt stick to the outer edges of the cover. Two more temples as per family tradition and the only plastic film in the car will be thrown out.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 20th August 2014 at 08:22.
Old 20th August 2014, 09:29   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Okay let me tell you guys why i must have left it there. Whenever we visit few famous temples, we have a habit of getting the pooja done. As a part of the pooja the temple priest would apply the thilakam all over the car, and even on the MID display. The thilakam is so powerful that it leaves a yellowish hue on the surface. The last thing i wanted was a cloudy MID. And hence the cover still remains. The liquid or the residue doesn't hold on to the perforated plastic material, but on a glass or metal the yellow hue is definitely left on the surface which again would cause scratches etc while trying to remove. As for the dut accumulation , i take a soft paint brush and dust the MID so that it doesnt stick to the outer edges of the cover. Two more temples as per family tradition and the only plastic film in the car will be thrown out.

That's true. They just apply it all over. We have such family traditions too.

I make it a point to tell the priest to apply it just on the windshield and may be just a few, very few spots on the body just like we apply it on just a couple of places on our body. Couldn't stand the thought of him applying it inside especially on the textured soft touch materials.

I keep it spotless. I guess our intentions are same but we deal it in different ways, that's all
Old 20th August 2014, 17:17   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
That's true. They just apply it all over. We have such family traditions too. I keep it spotless. I guess our intentions are same but we deal it in different ways, that's all
Haha. True that. My dad just wouldn't care and hence all the above

I stumbled upon a few links. I shall thank Gannu for his informative thread. I am definitely getting the below VAGCOM cable. I couldn't resist myself after getting to know the changes Karan and gannu have performed on his Jetta. Also there are two other products that hit the sweet spot. Links below.

1. VAG cable

2. USB unit for the car. Part Number - 5KD 035 726 A.

3. Tyre Pressure Monitoring unit. Part Number - 1TD 927 121 or 1K0 927 121C

I'm not sure if these are the correct numbers and would fit for the Jetta. The are beautifully designed and fit and finish is also impressive. I would really appreciate inputs from you guys.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 20th August 2014 at 17:25.
Old 20th August 2014, 17:41   #144
Team-BHP Support

1. The VAG cable link is perfect. I have the same cable from the same dealer which worked on my car, Karan's Jetta MK6 and Rohaan's Vento. So no worries there.

2. If your car has a Delphi based RCD 510, then this cable would work. The brown connector attaches itself here at the rear of the HU:

Name:  RCD510 rear.PNG
Views: 1395
Size:  398.4 KB

If you have the Bosch based RCD 510, you will need an MDI to support the USB and AUX. Not sure what goes into the current gen. Jettas. Remove the face plate, unscrew 4 Torx screws and confirm it. Just a 10 minute job. Or take it to an accessories outlet.

3. No clue on the TPMS add-on parts.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 17:53   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. USB unit for the car. Part Number - 5KD 035 726 A.
The USB flip switch is beautifully done. I would imagine that it makes more sense to get the USB MDI cable though, it's cheaper and easier to work with. Just plug it in and bingo, you're done. Even so, I quite like it, especially the flip up nature of the USB cover, seems a bit like a fighter jet switch

Link to USB MDI cable

Quote:
3. Tyre Pressure Monitoring unit. Part Number - 1TD 927 121 or 1K0 927 121C
This too sounds like a decent add-on, but is it really that big a deal? You can always keep an eye on the tyre pressure yourself and just keep on topping it up yourself at regular intervals. Not really sure how it could be done either!

I actually have my thoughts veering towards getting the stop-start system as it works in Audi's. It would be a boon in stop-go traffic, although the opinion of some friends that curse its very existence makes me wonder if I've got it wrong. It just seems so handy; hit the brakes, don't even need to switch to neutral and just go again whenever you need to. Seems quite handy, but don't know how I'd go about it.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 20th August 2014 at 18:07. Reason: added link
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 18:25   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
2. If your car has a Delphi based RCD 510, then this cable would work. The brown connector attaches itself here at the rear of the HU
I shall check this, once after the car is back ( dropped at workshop) or go on the day of delivery and get it checked personally. Karan in case you find some time can you check this buddy? being a 2014 model i'm sure my car will have the same unit as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
The USB flip switch is beautifully done. Even so, I quite like it, especially the flip up nature of the USB cover, seems a bit like a fighter jet switch
That's the reason what got me excited. Flip open like the Aventador. Its being integrated so dam well that its difficult to tell if its an add-on.

Quote:
This too sounds like a decent add-on, but is it really that big a deal?
Not really, but i was thinking it would be very helpful for highway runs.

Quote:
I actually have my thoughts veering towards getting the stop-start system as it works in Audi's. hit the brakes, don't even need to switch to neutral and just go again whenever you need to. Seems quite handy, but don't know how I'd go about it.
I know! totally agree, shall do some research on this and see if i could find anything. Meantime you come across something of this sort being done on the Jetta then please share. It would be a perfect solution.
Old 20th August 2014, 19:55   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This too sounds like a decent add-on, but is it really that big a deal? You can always keep an eye on the tyre pressure yourself and just keep on topping it up yourself at regular intervals. Not really sure how it could be done either!
Quote:
Not really, but i was thinking it would be very helpful for highway runs.
I have read about this TPMS mod for the Jetta. This is the same as the one in the Octavia. Actually, the TPMS can be enabled in Jetta as well using the VCDS cable. However, when a tire pressure error happens, you will need a VCDS cable to clear the error. This switch that Amar has given the link is used to clear the error and also initialize the TPMS. However, this will require quite some wiring changes. The wire has to be routed behind the steering column into the engine compartment. Then the wire has to be patched into the ABS controller. If you have an experienced workshop to do this, this will be a cool addition indeed.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 20:02   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I have read about this TPMS mod for the Jetta. This is the same as the one in the Octavia. Actually, the TPMS can be enabled in Jetta as well using the VCDS cable. However, when a tire pressure error happens, you will need a VCDS cable to clear the error. This switch that Amar has given the link is used to clear the error and also initialize the TPMS. However, this will require quite some wiring changes. The wire has to be routed behind the steering column into the engine compartment. Then the wire has to be patched into the ABS controller. If you have an experienced workshop to do this, this will be a cool addition indeed.
I will check with the workshop guys at VW if they can do it without giving me the routine 'Voids warranty' answer. If not i shall drive down to Bangalore and get it done at Vagtune. If it can be done properly without any issues then will definitely give it a try. Shall mail and check if guys at Vagtune can help me on this. I have read that the Owner Suresh/Sugesh ?? is very helpful. Will check if his mailbox has been mentioned on his site.

Extended Warranty Pricing for the Jetta :

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-photo.jpg

Last edited by Amarendranath : 20th August 2014 at 20:27.
Old 21st August 2014, 13:48   #149
BHPian

I have seen this before dropping the car at the workshop. Can anyone let me the reading. The oil change is fine but shouldn't the service reading be around 15k kms?

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1408609036.808770.jpg
Old 21st August 2014, 13:54   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have seen this before dropping the car at the workshop. Can anyone let me the reading. The oil change is fine but shouldn't the service reading be around 15k kms?
Looks like is skipping the first year 15k service. Get it checked by the workshop during the oil change visit at 7.5k

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks