Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 01:02   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post

But how will the dent be removed I'm not sure. The interior flooring etc has to detached or how it is done no idea. I wanted to leave the scar on the door and dad wouldn't listen. Getting the foot board fixed on insurance

Guys from Hyderabad, I'm really disappointed by the body shop workers at Gachibowli can anyone comment on the workmanship at Kompally?
That's pretty bad. Depending on their assessment of the damage they will use a dent puller which involves stripping down to bare metal and then welding a series of studs over the dent. Those studs are then pulled out slowly using a pneumatic dent puller which pulls the panel as well. It is got back into shape doing this multiple times. After that it is sanded and smoothened and then prepared for painting.

If damage is too extensive then the entire floor board will be cut, original welding removed and then a new floor board will be welded back.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 01:21   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That's pretty bad. Depending on their assessment of the damage they will use a dent puller which involves stripping down to bare metal and then welding a series of studs over the dent. Those studs are then pulled out slowly using a pneumatic dent puller which pulls the panel as well. It is got back into shape doing this multiple times. After that it is sanded and smoothened and then prepared for painting.

If damage is too extensive then the entire floor board will be cut, original welding removed and then a new floor board will be welded back.
Viddy,

Will the welding leave a abutting bulge? Or will it be back to normal. My bike has a bulge indicating that the chassis frame was welded together, I'm afraid such a thing mighty happen here.?
Old 28th July 2014, 01:26   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Viddy,

Will the welding leave a abutting bulge? Or will it be back to normal. My bike has a bulge indicating that the chassis frame was welded together, I'm afraid such a thing mighty happen here.?
No it won't leave a single mark at all. Only way to make out post rewelding and painting will be put on ramp and you will see the welds on the bottom of the car as not factory precision and not at the exact same gaps to each other. That too only if you compare with both sides.

Ofcourse this is if the work is done well.
Old 28th July 2014, 01:36   #109
BHPian

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
No it won't leave a single mark at all. Only way to make out post rewelding and painting will be put on ramp and you will see the welds on the bottom of the car as not factory precision and not at the exact same gaps to each other. That too only if you compare with both sides.

Ofcourse this is if the work is done well.

The metal got completely pressed to the frame. So I believe pulling it out should do(hopefully). If an unskilled job is done then cutting it and re-welding may look ugly.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 28th July 2014 at 01:37.
Old 28th July 2014, 08:59   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The metal got completely pressed to the frame. So I believe pulling it out should do(hopefully). If an unskilled job is done then cutting it and re-welding may look ugly.
Yes but if the effort to pull it out is too much then they may as well replace the panel.

Secondly you get better finish with a replaced panel than with the tinkered/pulled out panel cause the same metal panel will never be exactly the same after beating up so much.

It depends on assessment, if the damage is more, it's better to cut and replace than spend time on reshaping the panel.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 09:15   #111
Senior - BHPian

Amar, that damage is bad, but it's nothing a skilled worker with a dent puller can't fix! I've seen guys work it first-hand and you'd be very heartened to have seen the results after the work was done. Don't worry, it's bad, but it can/will be fixed up before you know it. Things like these happen, part and parcel of driving around in India.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 09:48   #112
BANNED

Quote:

Called up the Manager, he asked me to leave and car with him and he would take care of everything. So can this be fixed?

But how will the dent be removed I'm not sure.
Amar, get the panels replaced, no thoughts there. If you try pulling the panel out etc, the finish and work quality will not be good and moreover will look odd.

Give it to the manager whom you spoke to and see what he does. Accordingly take a further action.

Anurag.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:25   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Yes but if the effort to pull it out is too much then they may as well replace the panel.

Secondly you get better finish with a replaced panel than with the tinkered/pulled out panel cause the same metal panel will never be exactly the same after beating up so much.

It depends on assessment, if the damage is more, it's better to cut and replace than spend time on reshaping the panel.
True, will update once i get to know what is being done. Waiting for the driver to pick up the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Amar, that damage is bad, but it's nothing a skilled worker with a dent puller can't fix! I've seen guys work it first-hand and you'd be very heartened to have seen the results after the work was done. Don't worry, it's bad, but it can/will be fixed up before you know it. Things like these happen, part and parcel of driving around in India.
If only i had the attitude like yours Lets hope the workmanship is at the desired level. The paint shop guys are of no use here. Also being their first time working on a new color, they are not able to match the paint. It took them 15 attempts to match the Toffee Brown, i wonder how many for Tempest Blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Amar, get the panels replaced, no thoughts there. If you try pulling the panel out etc, the finish and work quality will not be good and moreover will look odd.

Give it to the manager whom you spoke to and see what he does. Accordingly take a further action.
After Viddy's comments, i realized the running board can come as a different piece. Google fetched some ebay links. Yes handing it over to him, hope he takes care of it. No peace of mind till i see the car back in its original state.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 28th July 2014 at 10:27.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:43   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lets hope the workmanship is at the desired level. The paint shop guys are of no use here. Also being their first time working on a new color, they are not able to match the paint. It took them 15 attempts to match the Toffee Brown, i wonder how many for Tempest Blue.
Indeed, workshop quality can be a bit hit and miss, but as far as I know it shouldn't be that hard for experienced guys to get the job done. It's all about checking out the computer programmed color codes and mixing and matching the colors in the specified quantity to get the color perfect. Graaja's paint was matched perfectly, but then that's a much more mainstream color.

If you feel they won't be able to match it perfectly, perhaps it might not be wise to give it to them. I say that since if you're unhappy with the results you'll have to paint it somewhere else (perhaps at a very specialized body shop) and double the work done on it. Mumbai, for example, has Mazda Motors as a very premium paint shop but you can bet your last rupee his work will be at least as good or most times better than the showroom. Surely Hyderabad has someone too, don't give it to the workshop if you doubt them.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:44   #115
BANNED

Quote:
After Viddy's comments, i realized the running board can come as a different piece. Google fetched some ebay links. Yes handing it over to him, hope he takes care of it. No peace of mind till i see the car back in its original state.
In case you are free we can go visit him today, your service manager? Would be good to talk and know what the rectification process will be like and how tell go about it.

Most of the body panels are available as individual pieces. So don't worry much, your Tempest will be back on track soon.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 10:55   #116
BHPian

Quote:
In case you are free we can go visit him today, your service manager? Would be good to talk and know what the rectification process will be like and how tell go about it.

Most of the body panels are available as individual pieces. So don't worry much, your Tempest will be back on track soon.

Anurag.

Unfortunately we can't. The CRM called up asking me to drop the car on 1st. Eve of Ramzan so workers might take an off and delay of work. Let's go on 1st then? If you are free.

Quote:
Indeed, workshop quality can be a bit hit and miss, but as far as I know it shouldn't be that hard for experienced guys to get the job done. It's all about checking out the computer programmed color codes and mixing and matching the colors in the specified quantity to get the color perfect. Graaja's paint was matched perfectly, but then that's a much more mainstream color.

If you feel they won't be able to match it perfectly, perhaps it might not be wise to give it to them. I say that since if you're unhappy with the results you'll have to paint it somewhere else (perhaps at a very specialized body shop) and double the work done on it. Mumbai, for example, has Mazda Motors as a very premium paint shop but you can bet your last rupee his work will be at least as good or most times better than the showroom. Surely Hyderabad has someone too, don't give it to the workshop if you doubt them.
True. Although they claim that they did check the codes etc. Nope. The gloss, reflections or the depth they could not retain is what i felt. So changing the workshop this time, The CRM over there seems more enthusiastic. Luckily we have a very good manager so i'm a bit relieved. Also i don't think such specialized body shops are at reach here in Hyd. So i'm hoping these new guys can fix it without a glitch. I need to repose my thoughts for a while, being festival season, for quality of work its better i hand over the car on the date they asked me to.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 28th July 2014 at 11:18.
Old 28th July 2014, 20:15   #117
BANNED

Quote:

Unfortunately we can't. The CRM called up asking me to drop the car on 1st. Eve of Ramzan so workers might take an off and delay of work. Let's go on 1st then? If you are free.

True. Although they claim that they did check the codes etc. Nope. The gloss, reflections or the depth they could not retain is what i felt. So changing the workshop this time, The CRM over there seems more enthusiastic. Luckily we have a very good manager so i'm a bit relieved.
Yup. Let's visit them after August 1st. I'll keep myself free. Mean time shall see if there are any body shop with good paint booths to get the car back in original color.

Anurag.
Old 28th July 2014, 21:29   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually matching the colour with the computer is the easy part. Where the mistake happens is the preparation of the panel before painting and then the actual process of painting. Then the clear coat. Even that can cause colour mismatch and worse case orange peel (known as a paint defect). Matching the colours is usually computerized so it doesn't go wrong as much as the other steps I mentioned.

Quote:
Most but not this panel. If you look at the side profile, you will see that the running board or rocker panel goes till the rear quarter panel then C-pillar, B-pillar and then ends at the A-pillar. It's the entire side of the car.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-142755.jpg

Now the place where it is damaged will most likely be cut till a few inches behind, I'm guessing whole running board portion below the front door. This will be replaced/welded back by a similarly cut running board from a new side panel available.

They will use other areas of that new side panel on other cars which have damage at the rear end.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 21:45   #119
BANNED

Quote:
Most but not this panel. If you look at the side profile, you will see that the running board or rocker panel goes till the rear quarter panel then C-pillar, B-pillar and then ends at the A-pillar. It's the entire side of the car.

Now the place where it is damaged will most likely be cut till a few inches behind, I'm guessing whole running board portion below the front door. This will be replaced/welded back by a similarly cut running board from a new side panel available.

They will use other areas of that new side panel on other cars which have damage at the rear end.
Thank you Viddy for the clear explanation. I did see the damage today so now I have understood what the condition was.

Won't there be any structural issues when the running board is cut and re-welded?

Attaching the image showing the damage area:

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-temple-1.jpg

Is it enough to cut the damaged area or the whole running board area?

Anurag.
Old 28th July 2014, 21:45   #120
BHPian

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Actually matching the colour with the computer is the easy part. Where the mistake happens is the preparation of the panel before painting and then the actual process of painting. Then the clear coat. Even that can cause colour mismatch and worse case orange peel (known as a paint defect). Matching the colours is usually computerized so it doesn't go wrong as much as the other steps I mentioned. They will use other areas of that new side panel on other cars which have damage at the rear end.
Absolutely. That's what I'm worried about. The computer codes are the easiest to mix. Proportions and liters. The orange peel effect is the most apparent here. Even the orange peel can be corrected later while detailing. But I'm worried about the gloss and richness of the color. If the paint can be revived by detailing then I can sit back and not worry about it. In fact I explained Anurag what exactly I was complaining about. The finishing is not great and has white buffer marrking near the prominent door edge. Tried my best to capture it but couldn't. Simply, one side of the car has super rich reflections, the other side doesn't ( after they messing it up )

Replacing seems the best fit. From my judgement smoldering it may not look decent.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 28th July 2014 at 21:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks