Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2016, 07:59   #136
BANNED

re: Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold

The right fix (as recommended by tyre manufacturers) for tubeless tyres is the mushroom patch and not the old method which the tyre manufacturers say is only an interim fix. However, the old repairs do last longer than "interim" and is used a lot more than mushroom patches.

Additionally, mushroom patches involve de-mounting the tyre and filing of a bit of the inside of the tyre before fixing the mushroom patch which means additional time and costs. Costs are not an issue for most enthusiasts if it works better.

But what really happens is that the filing of the inside of the tyre makes it that bit thinner at that particular place which psychologically doesn't make you comfortable when you have the option of the regular fix.

I have always been concerned about the filing of the inside of the tyre and hence stick to the regular method of repair.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 08:15   #137
BHPian

Can you explain a bit how is the traditional method of fixing punctures done please. Thanks.
Old 26th February 2016, 08:33   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Nice, you caught the puncture before it ruptured the tyre further.The puncture guy near my home still uses the method where the object is pulled out with pliers and a branch like thing is jammed into the hole which is visible from outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Can you explain a bit how is the traditional method of fixing punctures done please. Thanks.
Pamiboy, MXH explained the traditional way to fix a tubeless tyre puncture. They indeed pull out the object from the tyre and insert that branch like strip into the little hole with most part of the strip hanging out ( Point being when you drive due strip coming into contact with road surface, in a few days hanging out portion will give away and tyre will have the original clean look.

I would not normally share such a trivial update but, reason for sharing it was in my past experience always see a puncture when car is parked and completely deflated or while running have experienced (once) but, never when someone pointed out a nail in tyre and post which I drove for 35kms in heavy traffic back home without the tyre getting ruptured further

I think it was just my pure luck of not getting stranded on road late evening that made me feel glad to post it here
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 10:49   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Update :

Nothing exciting to report. Blue Bombardier running has reduced considerably over last few weeks due to work related travel. It still drives like a dream and have none of the issues that is reported by other Aspire TDCi users

I have completed 9500kms and just waiting to clock the remaining 500kms so I can give it for it's 2nd service and eagerly waiting to get it's free 2nd Teflon coating done

And, I get this timely text from my Ford dealership
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-ford.jpg  

Old 19th March 2016, 20:42   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Faced a weird issue last night!

I was driving out for a party late evening and while driving on ORR ( Outer Ring Road), I noticed that my high-beam was not working

I mean lights were fine but, the stalk would not engage. Aspire owners know that to engage high beam, stalk has to be pulled towards us all the way to engage it

The stalk would just not engage. So I was holding the stalk and driving as it was pitch dark on the highway and had to drive like that for 15-20kms

Funny part, while returning later in the night. When I started the car and engaged the high beam and it worked normally

Just didn't know what to make of it !!!

Blue Bombardier goes for it's 2nd service on Monday. It will be a simple oil change and regular service so hopefully should be an uneventful service
Old 19th March 2016, 22:33   #141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Just didn't know what to make of it !!!
These small niggles are a part of the ownership. Nothing to get paranoid.

Just keep an eye to see if it repeats.

PS: The '+' is lying with me. We need to meet up soon to handover it to you and upgrade your Blue Bombardier titanium variant.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 09:14   #142
BHPian

Although late to the party, congratulations on your purchase Avi. I never faced the issue of being unable to switch from low beam to high beam in my Classic.

The stock head lights on my Classic seem quite powerful. On high beam in parking lots and crowded areas I see people trying to cover their eyes from the beam. So, I use them only when needed. Headlights on my other car, indica are hopeless. There's hardly any difference with or without the high beam.

I have a problem with my stepney tyre in the Classic. Due to poor quality of the branch like thing used to fix the puncture earlier the tire started leaking air from the same point. Got it fixed again. Still leaks there. I have no hope that getting it done one more time is going to fix it. The tire has fair amount of grooves and I think will last easily for another 20k kms. Two puncture men advised me to get a tube in the tubeless tire. I felt that will defeat the whole purpose of having a tubeless tyre. After being stranded on the road, once on the highway with family albeit during day time, unable to get the tyre removed with the wrench I had since the nuts were tightened with the machine gun during balancing, alignment and being unable to move forward even an inch without changing the tyre I decided all my future tires will be tubeless. Mom expressed concern over safety if such a thing happened in the night. Have been against tubed tyres since then.

So, the option of putting in a tube has been ruled out. One other option I got is to put a patch on the inside of the tyre. Is this a reliable solution? Would u recommend this? Is there any other way to fix the issue? Found this company that makes many kinds of patches www.kwikpatch.com

Look forward to your recos.

Avi, sorry for hijacking your thread.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 09:44   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
These small niggles are a part of the ownership. Nothing to get paranoid.Just keep an eye to see if it repeats.

PS: The '+' is lying with me. We need to meet up soon to handover it to you and upgrade your Blue Bombardier titanium variant.
Yeah. It was weird and will certainly keep an eye out in future

Regarding converting BB into an actual Titanium + variant, Will send you a PM and let's fix up a time this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
I have a problem with my stepney tyre in the Classic. Due to poor quality of the branch like thing used to fix the puncture earlier the tire started leaking air from the same point. Got it fixed again. Still leaks there. I have no hope that getting it done one more time is going to fix it. The tire has fair amount of grooves and I think will last easily for another 20k kms. Two puncture men advised me to get a tube in the tubeless tire.
1. I have tried tube in a tubeless tyre in my Cruze but, that was at the fag end of the tyre life ( CPC2 had done 48K kms and during a drive to goa got punctured twice in 150kms) and since I was on return leg. Got the tube inserted into a tubeless tyre as a temp solution and immediately got all 4 tyres replaced

In short, it is not a permanent solution

2. I would recommend getting the leak fixed with a patch from a reputed place ( not some typical roadside outlet). Check either with Ford ASC or any reputed wheel alignment/balance if they can fix this issue

If even after that it doesn't work. Best is to get rid of that tyre and buy a new one

Never take risk with tyres !!!
Old 20th March 2016, 20:42   #144
Senior - BHPian

I second mobike008's views on getting the tyre replaced. However, if you can use it as a stepney, then you can always put a tube in it and use it sparingly during punctures. But put it back as a stepney soon after you repair the punctured tyre.

@mobike008---most first-time users of Ford cars are confused with the toggle stalk for high beam and low beam. The same 'pull towards you and release' action toggles between both.

While on this topic, you'll laugh when I tell you that during a trip from Nizamabad to Hyderabad with colleagues on my Figo, my colleague found my Figo's headlamps more powerful than his. I said it was perhaps due to the Fog lamps that came with my car, and not with his model which was the earliest one. So he spent around 5 K and installed fogs, and said things looked better. He does a couple of trips to Rajahmundry a year on the Figo.

But one fine day, he said his high beam was not working unless he pulled back the stalk and held it in that position. I inspected his car and used the toggle, and all was fine. What made all of us laugh was that he wasn't aware of the toggle function for the past 4 years!!
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 21:21   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I second mobike008's views on getting the tyre replaced. However, if you can use it as a stepney, then you can always put a tube in it and use it sparingly during punctures. But put it back as a stepney soon after you repair the punctured tyre.
Great! Thank you for the views. It has cleared the confusion i had in my mind. Venkata Sai Tyres, MRF dealer at Mettuguda - he deals in MRF tyres for 2, 3, 4 wheelers, trucks, tractors etc. A puncture guy who works in there does patching of tyres by filing, heating etc. using some machine. Booked an appointment with him for tomo morning. He hasn't checked my tyre yet as i could not meet him the last time i went there. I hope he will be able to fix my tyre. Else, i will get it tubed and use it as a stepney tyre.

Any website where i can buy a tube in case i need to get the tyre tubed? I couldn't find on the regular ones viz. FK, SD, Paytm, CMT, Amazon.

Looks like i will have to cancel the order i made for a 175/65/R14 Kenda tire on Paytm. I figured out the two solutions after i placed the order.

Last edited by bharatbits : 20th March 2016 at 21:24.
Old 20th March 2016, 22:36   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post

Any website where i can buy a tube in case i need to get the tyre tubed? I couldn't find on the regular ones viz. FK, SD, Paytm, CMT, Amazon.
Better buy it from a tyre shop There are plenty in Hyderabad.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 00:19   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Faced a weird issue last night!

I was driving out for a party late evening and while driving on ORR ( Outer Ring Road), I noticed that my high-beam was not working

I mean lights were fine but, the stalk would not engage. Aspire owners know that to engage high beam, stalk has to be pulled towards us all the way to engage it
Faced this exact same issue with my Figo last month. The stalk would just not hold the slot in high beam and keeps slipping down to the low beam position and I had to hold the stalk up with a finger during those really dark sections. It worked fine once I got back home. Hasn't happened since, so ignored it.

P.S. Thinking about it, I too was returning home after a party when this happened. May be we should take cabs in future, to avoid these mysterious niggles

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd March 2016 at 07:10. Reason: Reduced the length of the quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:51   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Faced this exact same issue with my Figo last month. The stalk would

just not hold the slot in high beam and keeps slipping down to the low beam position and I

had to hold the stalk up with a finger during those really dark sections. It worked fine

once I got back home. Hasn't happened since, so ignored it.
That's exactly what happened. Imagine holding the stalk for 15kms on ORR just to see better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
P.S. Thinking about it, I too was returning home after a party when

this happened. May be we should take cabs in future, to avoid these mysterious niggles

2nd Service Update :

I have completed 9,600kms and thought it's just about time to hand over the "Blue Bombardier" for it's 2nd service. BB is running smoothly and without a single issue that some of the Aspire/Figo owners are quoting related to rattles, electronics issue etc. Touchwood, have none of those issues and it's been an uneventful journey till now and hope it continues the same way in future too

Booked an appointment on Sunday to get the car picked up. Driver called me on a sunday evening (super-duper) asking for address to come next morning. He arrives promptly at 9:45am and picks up the car.

I get a call from SA and he asked me about problems. I told him-None! Just needed general service, oil change and wheel alignment and balance. I asked if he can change the oil to synthetic oil and he quoted the possible bill to be in range of 6K. I decided against it and requested him to continue with semi-synthetic oil and bill estimate was INR 2,500/-

Asked him charges for interior cleaning and waxing and he quoted INR 1,600/- Asked him for a 20% discount but, he offered 10%. I decided against it as he mentioned the interiors are quite neat and you really don't need one

Car was returned promptly at 5:00pm and it was one of the smoothest experience similar to my Cruze days. So people who are afraid of Ford A.S.S, do not be scared. I'm enjoying a fantastic experience with Mody Ford

Bill was well within the initial estimate provided : INR 2,408 ( Handed over INR 2,500 and requested the driver to keep the change for his efforts)
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-1.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-2.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd March 2016 at 09:12. Reason: grammer correction
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 22:02   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunately, the upgraded bulbs (90/100) didn't perform as expected

Front left bulb went kaput sometime early this week and I was having trouble driving in dark stretches as throw and visibility was quite compromised (with only single bulb functioning and 2 fog lamps which I switch on during dark stretches)

Stopped today at a place and asked for Phillips Extreme Vision. They didn't have it. I was in a hurry so got a bulb that they had in stock

Normally people give a pair and this store was ok to give a single bulb

Fixed in 2 mins and back to "good times" in the dark. Now with high beam-it feels like daylight

Hella seemed to have burnt out completely

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-1.jpg

Flosser (Made in Germany) and apparently is OEM for Skoda's

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-2.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 23:05   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Normally people give a pair and this store was ok to give a single bulb
I'll suggest you to get another bulb of the same name and change it.

Both the bulbs must be same IMO.

Awaiting the variant upgrade (read '+') update from you.

Last edited by a4anurag : 27th March 2016 at 23:07.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks