Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:04   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Bottom-line : Aspire as you rightly mentioned is a sleeper car and if in good hands can breathe down neck of most cars including a couple of segments above both in city and highway driving conditions
Awesome! Will be following your thread closely for further developments in terms of service and other maintenance costs, and generally as to how your ownership experience gradually unfurls. The beige interiors are a bit of a drawback I guess. Difficult to maintain in the pristine condition that you get from the showroom, but nothing that a 6 monthly interior cleaning will not address.

I am also a big fan of this blue colour, nice choice. Most Aspires I see are either the silvers or the maroon ones, the blue is rarely to be seen. My current swift is also a similar shade (slightly lighter)- its called Torque Blue. As of now I have to satisfy myself with the torque in the name, since the engine has little to offer by way of torque (mine is the petrol) In fact one of the reasons I am looking at the Aspire is because of that nice creamy wallop of torque from low down in the rev range.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 22nd April 2016 at 09:07.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 08:02   #167
Team-BHP Support

I drove the Aspire with this gem of an engine few days ago. Instantly reminded me of the first gen Vento 1.6. Getting wheel spins in 2nd gear on not so perfect tarmac was another nice moment. In 4th, I didn't realize I was crossing 120 within a short distance. Manuals & rev happy engines, you got to love them. Long live the MT's.

How I wish, this engine came in my Figo. Would have been perfect.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd April 2016 at 08:03.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 09:20   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Have been following your threads for a long time and really enjoyed each adn every one of them. Infact this thread was the main reason for one of my friend to opt for the Figo Aspire v/s VW Polo so thank you for that.
Thanks for your kind words nice to know you enjoyed reading all my threads. Also, happy to know your friend is enjoying the Aspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
"Flosser" is a very good brand and here in pune my mechanic has been using them from my Diesel Esteem days (2005) that i remember. he vouches by these and does not use anything else, so this is a good choice, just that please do change the other one to the same make.
Until I bought the bulb didn't know about Flosser brand

Currently, BB is running on one headlamp on Flosser and other on Phillips. Guess what the light throw and spread is amazing and I'm really satisfied with lights and confidence inspiring for night driving

But, I got your point and whenever one of the bulbs conk off again will get both replaced with "Flosser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Awesome! Will be following your thread closely for further developments in terms of service and other maintenance costs, and generally as to how your ownership experience gradually unfurls. The beige interiors are a bit of a drawback I guess. Difficult to maintain in the pristine condition that you get from the showroom, but nothing that a 6 monthly interior cleaning will not address.
With regards to beige interiors. Mine is still pristine even after 6+ months and there is nothing a good interior clean once every 6 months cannot address

Quote:
I am also a big fan of this blue colour, nice choice. Most Aspires I see are either the silvers or the maroon ones, the blue is rarely to be seen. My current swift is also a similar shade (slightly lighter)- its called Torque Blue. As of now I have to satisfy myself with the torque in the name, since the engine has little to offer by way of torque (mine is the petrol) In fact one of the reasons I am looking at the Aspire is because of that nice creamy wallop of torque from low down in the rev range.
I'm also a big fan of blue other than white and black. Most of my official dresses are blue (Shirts, Trousers, Blazers etc..LOL)

I think your Swift blue is a better blue than Aspire blue. But, my most favorite blue shade is the one that came in old and new Fiesta S

You will not be disappointed with Aspire at all. It gives me thrills each and every single day and I extract every bit of that low end torque and power at every given instance. FE is of least importance to me so you can say I'm using this car as it should be...Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I drove the Aspire with this gem of an engine few days ago. Instantly reminded me of the first gen Vento 1.6. Getting wheel spins in 2nd gear on not so perfect tarmac was another nice moment. In 4th, I didn't realize I was crossing 120 within a short distance. Manuals & rev happy engines, you got to love them. Long live the MT's.
Nice Sheel! A small tyre upgrade to stock will increase the pleasure to a large extent. Trust me. It handles beautifully and can take sweeping corners with much more confidence than any other car < 10 lakhs

And, yeah I hate automatics so manual adds to that pleasure of driving

Quote:
How I wish, this engine came in my Figo. Would have been perfect.
And, I wish if only the Cruze engine was plonked into an Aspire
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 16:02   #169
BHPian

Quote:
And, I wish if only the Cruze engine was plonked into an Aspire
With an RD Dieseltronic in my Aspire, I'm halfway there (~125BHP) to the first gen Cruze

The linear acceleration has been replaced with a ferocious punch, which matches or exceeds that of the Skoda/VW 1.6 TDI. The difference is that while those engines lose the punch almost immediately and don't encourage you to rev too much, this one keeps you pinned to you seat until well past 3.5k RPM.

Rolling starts in 1st gear result in violent wheelspins (never happened in stock) and the second gear packs a solid turbo kick that sees you hit over 70kmph before the kick dies out.

Honestly, in P2 mode, it has a scary amount of power.
In fact, I drive around in P1 instead of P2 most of the time, unless i see a clear stretch of road.

With a 0-100 time of ~9 sec (best guess), this is now almost the perfect sleeper.
d3mon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 09:22   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Woah! You beat me to it. I was so enjoying the stock power that RD box didn't come to my mind though it was somewhere at back of mind as you might not know but, historically all my vehicles (including motorcycles) have been performance chipped to get more power out of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
With an RD Dieseltronic in my Aspire, I'm halfway there (~125BHP) to the first gen Cruze
Not Half way, almost 3/4th to stock Cruze power. In my Cruze, which was the first gen and as you might know was one ballistic engine (2nd gen was more linear) and had Racedynamics Box on it. And, it was one lethal weapon on the road

Quote:
The linear acceleration has been replaced with a ferocious punch, which matches or exceeds that of the Skoda/VW 1.6 TDI. The difference is that while those engines lose the punch almost immediately and don't encourage you to rev too much, this one keeps you pinned to you seat until well past 3.5k RPM.
Honestly speaking, even in stock Aspire engine it is very rare that I pull the car until 3.5K RPM as the power is so much plenty until 2.5KRPM that I normally upshift around that and sometimes go up to 3k RPM ( this is purely while changing gears)

Quote:
Rolling starts in 1st gear result in violent wheelspins (never happened in stock) and the second gear packs a solid turbo kick that sees you hit over 70kmph before the kick dies out.
WOW! You have convinced me. I need to get the Racedynamics Box ASAP

Quote:
Honestly, in P2 mode, it has a scary amount of power. In fact, I drive around in P1 instead of P2 most of the time, unless i see a clear stretch of road.
P2 was always a scary option. I normally used to use P1 and P2 only for those occasions where a wide grin on the face is mandated

Quote:
With a 0-100 time of ~9 sec (best guess), this is now almost the perfect sleeper.
Doesn't the stock Aspire do ~ 9 secs to the ton? I know there are varied figures from publications between 9 seconds to 10.5 seconds. Don't know what is the accurate figure for stock engine. It does feel plenty fast and I would say it should be < 10 secs to the ton. Anyone knows for sure?

Finally, is your box a dual channel? Also, would you mind sharing the price for same?
Old 25th April 2016, 10:24   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It does feel plenty fast and I would say it should be < 10 secs to the ton. Anyone knows for sure?
Hey mobike008, I am sure you would have seen some of these videos but in any case here are couple of them from Motorbeam:

Damn that Aspire 1.5 TDCi is quick, 0-100 comes up in 9.72 secs on a sub 4m sedan!!

And that Amaze is beaten like it never really has 100 bhp. And acceleration is almost relentless on this Ford, doesn't seem to let off even past 160 !!

The reason I picked up 1.6 GT TDI was to have the performance bit in place for a car so that I can alter the other visual stuff the way I want. This Ford Aspire 1.5 TDCI has exact same recipe and all one has to do is better those rims & wheels.

Everything else on this roadrunner is so well designed and sorted.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 25th April 2016 at 10:26.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 10:28   #172
BHPian

Inline. I'll put up some dyno curves and acceleration measurements later for your viewing pleasure, and in case you need any more convincing. (I doubt it )

Quote:

Not Half way, almost 3/4th to stock Cruze power. In my Cruze, which was the first gen and as you might know was one ballistic engine (2nd gen was more linear) and had Racedynamics Box on it. And, it was one lethal weapon on the road

I meant that the box helped cover half the distance between 100 and 150 BHP.
I have only driven the 2nd gen 163 BHP engine, and it was a big disappointment in the city. 1st and 2nd gears were quite dead with no kick. Maybe it was better on the highways, but I didn't get a chance to check that out.

Honestly speaking, even in stock Aspire engine it is very rare that I pull the car until 3.5K RPM as the power is so much plenty until 2.5KRPM that I normally upshift around that and sometimes go up to 3k RPM ( this is purely while changing gears)

Haha! Of course those bursts up to 4k are quite rare - but they always keep me longing and make me want to come back for more. For keeping up with traffic, 1000 - 1500 RPM is all that I really need.

Doesn't the stock Aspire do ~ 9 secs to the ton? I know there are varied figures from publications between 9 seconds to 10.5 seconds. Don't know what is the accurate figure for stock engine. It does feel plenty fast and I would say it should be < 10 secs to the ton. Anyone knows for sure?

No, stock does 0-100 in 10.5 seconds (Autocar). The 9.7 second timing was from some speedo based runs, and the Aspire speedo has a terrible problem of overreading by 10%. 100 on the speedo is around 90 in reality.

Finally, is your box a dual channel? Also, would you mind sharing the price for same?

I have the single channel one, because I carried it over from my Swift. Which also means that the box was free for me - I only had to pay 2.5k for the new TDCi connectors

RD folks did tell me that a dual channel box is possible for the Aspire, even though it doesn't have a VGT - this is because it uses an electronic wastegate, which can be used to up the peak boost levels.

d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 12:27   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey mobike008, I am sure you would have seen some of these videos but in any case here are couple of them from Motorbeam:

Damn that Aspire 1.5 TDCi is quick, 0-100 comes up in 9.72 secs on a sub 4m sedan!!

And that Amaze is beaten like it never really has 100 bhp. And acceleration is almost relentless on this Ford, doesn't seem to let off even past 160 !!
Oh Yeah! I remember seeing these videos long back. Thanks for posting it again

Vbox clocked speed to the ton is 9.72 means it is one heck of a time and with a RD box it can shave off those 0.72 seconds and may breach the 9 second barrier too

Quote:
Inline. I'll put up some dyno curves and acceleration measurements later for your viewing pleasure, and in case you need any more convincing. (I doubt it )
Thanks for the feedback. If there is no dual channel box available then it makes sense to buy a pre-owned box and buy the different connectors for Aspire

How long you have been using it and hope all functions work properly like the "on the fly" setting changes via. the remote?

You got the Aspire on a Dyno?

Please do share the dyno curves and acceleration measurements for not just mine but for everyone else who is interested in a sleeper car performance...haha!
Old 25th April 2016, 12:36   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Oh Yeah! I remember seeing these videos long back. Thanks for posting it again

Vbox clocked speed to the ton is 9.72 means it is one heck of a time and with a RD box it can shave off those 0.72 seconds and may breach the 9 second barrier too

The Motorbeam videos are fake, in their claims of using VBOX. All their 0-100 videos stop the clock when the speedo hits 100kmph, which is inaccurate. Both Car India and Autocar reported 0-100 times of 10.7 & 10.5 seconds respectively.

>>Thanks for the feedback. If there is no dual channel box available then it makes sense to buy a pre-owned box and buy the different connectors for Aspire

Dual channel box is available as per RD. Not sure if they already have a tune for it.

>>How long you have been using it and hope all functions work properly like the "on the fly" setting changes via. the remote?
I've been using the box since the last December. Yes, on the fly switching works fine.

>>You got the Aspire on a Dyno?
>>Please do share the dyno curves and acceleration measurements for not just mine but for everyone else who is interested in a sleeper car performance...haha!

Not on a real dyno, but I used an app called Perfexpert, which is quite accurate, even in absolute terms. It's more than enough to tease out the relative differences with and without the box in any case. I can clearly see a 20% jump in peak torque in P2 mode, which is reflected in the measured acceleration (m/s2) as well. Peak acceleration in 2nd gear went from 3.2m/s2 to 3.85m/s2 in P2 mode. Again, I'll post the detailed measurements in some time.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 12:40   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not on a real dyno, but I used an app called Perfexpert, which is quite accurate, even in absolute terms. It's more than enough to tease out the relative differences with and without the box in any case. I can clearly see a 20% jump in peak torque in P2 mode, which is reflected in the measured acceleration (m/s2) as well. Peak acceleration in 2nd gear went from 3.2m/s2 to 3.85m/s2 in P2 mode. Again, I'll post the detailed measurements in some time.
So are you saying that with RD box the Aspire will be a 9-second car? I mean in true sense excluding the speedo error

Another way to measure the right speed is using a GPS device. Isn't it?
Old 25th April 2016, 13:42   #176
BHPian

Quote:
So are you saying that with RD box the Aspire will be a 9-second car? I mean in true sense excluding the speedo error

Another way to measure the right speed is using a GPS device. Isn't it?
Yes, true 9.xx second easily! Most probably low 9 seconds actually.
The OBD speed in the Aspire actually corresponds extremely well to GPS speed (checked with torque logs of both OBD & GPS speed), so that can be used as well.
Old 25th April 2016, 14:58   #177
BHPian

Here's Stock vs P2 graphs in 2nd gear.

Note that the Aspire has a torque limiter in 1st and 2nd gears that results in lower readings - in 3rd, I get over 270NM and ~125 BHP in P2 mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-1.png  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-2.png  

Last edited by d3mon : 25th April 2016 at 15:00.
d3mon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 16:34   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Had fixed an appointment with Mody Ford for the RCM update on Friday

They were super prompt and called me last evening to reconfirm and immediately the driver called to enquire where to pick up car (my work location)

He came in at prompt 9:30am and took the car and returned it back at 2:00pm today

RCM Update
Free Water Wash
Nitrogen Air top-up

As usual, the service of Ford/Mody was impeccable and I'm super happy with how things are going till date

They presented me with a heart-stopping bill of INR 0

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-fullsizerender.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 12:05   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Had fixed an appointment with Mody Ford for the RCM update on Friday

They were super prompt and called me last evening to reconfirm and immediately the driver called to enquire where to pick up car (my work location)

He came in at prompt 9:30am and took the car and returned it back at 2:00pm today

RCM Update
Free Water Wash
Nitrogen Air top-up

As usual, the service of Ford/Mody was impeccable and I'm super happy with how things are going till date

They presented me with a heart-stopping bill of INR 0

Attachment 1505743
Hi Mobike008,
I've been following your thread for quite sometime now. I know its too late to congratulate you on the BB now. Nevertheless, you've been very informative all the way.

Just wanted to know whats the RCM update. I vaguely remember last month Ford doing a recall for their cars regarding something. Is this the same thing ?

I've asked Ford to send a TD vehicle to my office today. Its not the Aspire but the Figo hatch. I am more keen on a hatch now because its only the wife and me. We travel light and Bangalore traffic demands I have a small car for my own convenience. Plus, I am more of a bike guy. Ride my CBR250R and RC390 all the time. This will only be a weekend car running about 1200km every month.
Can't wait for the TD today.
Coplay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 14:36   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
Just wanted to know whats the RCM update. I vaguely remember last month Ford doing a recall for their cars regarding something. Is this the same thing ?
Restraints Control Module (RCM) is part of the airbags software and apparently there is some glitch in them that can cause malfunction of airbags in event of a collision.Ford made this recall a voluntary exercise and this software update was just a 15-20 mins job and was done free of cost. Good service by FORD

Quote:
I've asked Ford to send a TD vehicle to my office today. Its not the Aspire but the Figo hatch. I am more keen on a hatch now because its only the wife and me. We travel light and Bangalore traffic demands I have a small car for my own convenience.
Both Aspire and Figo are ballistic missiles and you will be pleasantly surprised with it's performance

Quote:
Plus, I am more of a bike guy. Ride my CBR250R and RC390 all the time. This will only be a weekend car running about 1200km every month.
Nice. As handle suggests, I'm also a motorcycle lover

Have you seen review of my new toy?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ght-begin.html

Quote:
Can't wait for the TD today.
Let me tell you the wait will be worth it
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks