Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2009, 19:01   #916
BHPian

Just bought the car and this is a must share for anyone considering it

Firstly I just bought my first Maruti, a swift vdi last week. This is some advice for anyone considering the car.

1. Be prepared that over and above the on road price, you are in for a good amount of spending on the car. The tyres and the lights are simply horrible. At some level, maruti has retained thinner tyres to maintain the pep of the car and has in turn sacrificed the road grip. Make sure you upgrade to 185/70s and you will be very satisfied. The lights, they're candles! Horrible to say the least. So look at spending on that. If you're upgrading over the standard 65/50, you will need to upgrade reflectors so they dont burn/melt.

2. The enigne is superb! Low reviing, fun for anyone who enjoys driving under say 120. Turbos kick in at about 2000 rpm so its sluggish in stop and go traffic but find a gap and you're off.

3. Drive in, very imp. Make sure you push you're car to 3000rpm before shifting during the 1st 1000km if you are a hard driver. It will only help your pistons serve you better. If you go below 2000, down shift. Since this is the main powerband of the engine in any case, you really wont feel like you're running in a car. Don't forget to shift a lot. Driving a constant gear is bad for the run in.

4. The brakes, very worrying. So all the hotrods, chill on the speed till you're used to it. Again, with stock tyres, hard braking will throw you off course.

5. Get a K&N filter, it will help you're car breathe well even at low RPM.

For a fuel efficient car, this ones not bad. My car is a week old, 800km run and gives me about 13.75-14. I do not baby the car and the engine seems to like it that way.

Hope this helps anyone considering...
Old 8th February 2009, 20:40   #917
Senior - BHPian

surprise surprise

today i took my son in the car for almost 10-12 kms. drove real maturely, never jerking the car at any time, and gradual accel/decel each time. all windows opened completely in midday sun with cool breeze. guess what? my son DID NOT puke! so i am now confounded. has he automatically gotten over the while-in-the-car-get-nauseated feeling? or did all windows being open do the trick? i m seriously confused as to why he puked all this while. or was it that its summertime now compared to winter time earlier? or was it that he was six months younger then? god only knows. but i know a few things for sure, he doesnt puke in petrol or gas cars. and my a/c did have an issue. could be stale air, could be always windows rolled up. am still diagnosing.
Old 9th February 2009, 08:38   #918
BHPian

@GeekSrik: On a lighter note, I think your son's just messing with your mind and he seems to be doing a good job. His mind must be working overtime right now, something like 'so now my dad thinks that I don't puke coz I'm older hmm ... well, time for a surprise, dad' or 'so my dad thinks I won't puke if the windows are rolled up hmm ... well, let me try aiming for that car next to ours and blame my dad for that'. .

I know cleaning that stuff is no joke, especially in a car. I have absolutely no idea about babies apart from the fact that they're born smarter than grown up's but I think proabably with age, they learn to hold it in or something on those lines.
Old 9th February 2009, 08:53   #919
Senior - BHPian

you bet. cleaning up the mess is a torture. for people who have back problems especially.
Old 9th February 2009, 09:24   #920
Senior - BHPian

Reasons I found on KIDS having travel sickness:

1. Food they consumed including milk before travelling.

2. Any smell while travelling in the road.

3. Body Roll, bad roads, windy/curvy roads

4. Number of passengers in the car, loud music.

5. Age factor, I think once they are 3 years old they will be used to any car.

6. Car's interiors clean/dirty factor, air freshner.

This is based on my daughter's experience

Ravi.
Old 9th February 2009, 10:25   #921
Team-BHP Support

Congratz on your new car.

1) I still run on 55/60 bulbs and they are ok deal. I I dont think candle light is the right word, yeah one can upgrade to 90/100 by fitting a relay, but dont think its really worth it in this car unless you do alot of highway drives.

2) Let the engine run in more, and you will feel that the lag has come down.

3) There is a whole big thread/article on run in, whill give you good info on different schools of run in.

4) This i wouldnt agree, it has one of the best set of brakes. Move to a decent size tire and you will feel the difference in braking and handling.

5) Trust me dont waste your money on air filters if you are running stock, diesel swift breathes best with stock air filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Firstly I just bought my first Maruti, a swift vdi last week. This is some advice for anyone considering the car.

1. Be prepared that over and above the on road price, you are in for a good amount of spending on the car. The tyres and the lights are simply horrible. At some level, maruti has retained thinner tyres to maintain the pep of the car and has in turn sacrificed the road grip. Make sure you upgrade to 185/70s and you will be very satisfied. The lights, they're candles! Horrible to say the least. So look at spending on that. If you're upgrading over the standard 65/50, you will need to upgrade reflectors so they dont burn/melt.

2. The enigne is superb! Low reviing, fun for anyone who enjoys driving under say 120. Turbos kick in at about 2000 rpm so its sluggish in stop and go traffic but find a gap and you're off.

3. Drive in, very imp. Make sure you push you're car to 3000rpm before shifting during the 1st 1000km if you are a hard driver. It will only help your pistons serve you better. If you go below 2000, down shift. Since this is the main powerband of the engine in any case, you really wont feel like you're running in a car. Don't forget to shift a lot. Driving a constant gear is bad for the run in.

4. The brakes, very worrying. So all the hotrods, chill on the speed till you're used to it. Again, with stock tyres, hard braking will throw you off course.

5. Get a K&N filter, it will help you're car breathe well even at low RPM.

For a fuel efficient car, this ones not bad. My car is a week old, 800km run and gives me about 13.75-14. I do not baby the car and the engine seems to like it that way.

Hope this helps anyone considering...
Old 19th February 2009, 10:18   #922
tez
BHPian

As there is already a thread running for long term ownership of swift vdi, i thought i will pen my experience here itself. The concerns (if any) will also get answered quickly. I have covered 3500 kms in 2 months of ownership with mix of highways and city. The car runs like dream. I wanted to know if anybody has fitted the center arm rest. I had soem questions and wnated to get them clarified. Anybody in pune who sells this and at what price?
Old 22nd February 2009, 03:17   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
As there is already a thread running for long term ownership of swift vdi, i thought i will pen my experience here itself. The concerns (if any) will also get answered quickly. I have covered 3500 kms in 2 months of ownership with mix of highways and city. The car runs like dream. I wanted to know if anybody has fitted the center arm rest. I had soem questions and wnated to get them clarified. Anybody in pune who sells this and at what price?
Dont add it... it will only get in the way. I wanted to add it too but I didn't to avoid getting further cramped.
Old 22nd February 2009, 03:19   #924
BHPian

I've just finished 1500 km on my VDi and have got the first service done. I do know that they slow down the engine a bit but I feel like my peps just gone... Any idea how I can fix this? You think maybe oil levels or something is the culprit?
Old 25th February 2009, 09:30   #925
Senior - BHPian

i completed 22000 sometime back. vehicle is fine. recession fears prompted me to cross check on how much this vehicle can be disposed for if at all and a 1.5 yr old 22k driven Vdi, with all alloys and tubeless michelins (no petes) is commanding 4.3 lacs (i paid 6.2). i am keeping this info in mind just in case i take some harsh decisions on myself all in the interest of closing down the "H" loan.
Old 25th February 2009, 09:38   #926
Senior - BHPian

Hey Geek,

Congrats on completing 22000km. Next 5 months will be cruicial about recession, lot of changes expected to happen in business/world. 30% depreciation would be on 2 years old car which is fair enough. But If you sell it now its not worth and won't justify buying new car. I suggest keep it for next 2 years or at least 40,000km thats ideal time to dispose it unless you hate your car too much and selling it.

Ravi.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:12   #927
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
I've just finished 1500 km on my VDi and have got the first service done. I do know that they slow down the engine a bit but I feel like my peps just gone... Any idea how I can fix this? You think maybe oil levels or something is the culprit?
2 possible problems
air filter
intercooler clogged with oil(especially if oil is overfilled,also happens as part of normal running, when oil droplets condense in the intercooler and settle there)
but it's a bit early for both these things to happen at 1500kms
Then there is the throttle position sensor, but those symptoms are usually different.

Check tyre pressure. under inflated tyres slow you down.

Old 25th February 2009, 18:59   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Hey Geek,

Congrats on completing 22000km. Next 5 months will be cruicial about recession, lot of changes expected to happen in business/world. 30% depreciation would be on 2 years old car which is fair enough. But If you sell it now its not worth and won't justify buying new car. I suggest keep it for next 2 years or at least 40,000km thats ideal time to dispose it unless you hate your car too much and selling it.

Ravi.
thats my take. i guess i ll keep it atleast for 40k. if i manage to cross 40k, i ll manage to even finish the loan on this car by then and run it upto 1 lac or more. the engine is a charm.
Old 26th February 2009, 12:56   #929
BHPian

Swift VDi Flat spot issues

Hi.

I have been having a peculiar problem with my Sift Vdi ( Recently Completely 5000km, and 2nd free service). I have noticed lately while accelerating after 2500 rpm, in 3rd of the 4th gear i have noticed that there are flat spots in the acceleration curve, the car tends to not have any power in certain bands of the rpm. I have to ease off on the accelerator and then accelerate again to maintain the speed.

This only happens when i happen to accelerate hard.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 27th February 2009, 00:11   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
Hi.

I have been having a peculiar problem with my Sift Vdi ( Recently Completely 5000km, and 2nd free service). I have noticed lately while accelerating after 2500 rpm, in 3rd of the 4th gear i have noticed that there are flat spots in the acceleration curve, the car tends to not have any power in certain bands of the rpm. I have to ease off on the accelerator and then accelerate again to maintain the speed.

This only happens when i happen to accelerate hard.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
maybe you have a dirty accelerator sensor. i had the same issue. with your engine turned off, fully press the gas pedal a few times. this worked for me eventually. also clean the air filter (just in case).
otherwise take her to MASS.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed