Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2017, 09:20   #991
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Hi all

The last thing to be done on my Grand Vitara 2.0 2007 is a Power Steering Rack fix. As a lot of people here have discussed that Power Steering Rack leak is a regular problem. The replacement of the complete Rack Assembly is possible but it costs over Rs 40,000. The Power Steering in my Grand Vitara is holding fine for now, but it is leaking a little oil. I do not see any oil dropped to the ground when parked but when check periodically every month Power Steering oil needs to be topped up, and I see some oil on the Rack on visual inspection. I know eventually I would like to have a complete and permanent fix to this problem. My mechanics told me that the Power Steering Rack can be overhauled if we can get a good quality seal kit.

After a lot of searching, I managed to find a Power Steering Rack and Pinion Overhaul Kit for the Grand Vitara 2006-2012.
http://www.bestpartsonline.com/power...0Vitara%202007
It costed $35 with free shipping in US (Around Rs 2,000). They also have paid international shipping.

Manufacturer (Kotek) Site
http://www.powersteeringkits.net/

I have ordered it in the US and somebody traveling to India on the 14th July will be getting it. I will post how it goes when I get it and we get the power steering rack overhauled. I just wanted to post the links here for future reference as I found it after a lot of searching. Somebody in Suzuki Forums had done an overhaul with this kit and was quite happy with the results. He pointed me to this link.

My mechanics will open the system, but we want to get the Power Steering Rack Overhauled from a workshop specializing in Power Steering Overhauls. If anybody has some contact info of a workshop which specializes in Power Steering Systems Overhaul in Delhi-NCR, it will be a great help.

I hope this will be of use to others.
Styler

Last edited by Styler : 11th July 2017 at 09:27.
Styler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 16:32   #992
BHPian

I need help for sourcing the weather strips for windows. The horizontal strip that scrapes against the window glass as it slides up/Down also prevents water getting straight into the doors. Tried but couldn't explain it to MGP dealer as well.
Photographs are here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4237937
Old 24th July 2017, 17:37   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgv View Post
I need help for sourcing the weather strips for windows. The horizontal strip that scrapes against the window glass as it slides up/Down also prevents water getting straight into the doors. Tried but couldn't explain it to MGP dealer as well.
Photographs are here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4237937

I have replied in the MGP Parts thread.
It is just one Horizontol strip on the lower length of each window.
The inner and outer is one thing, the inner rubber breaks away.
I told my MGP dealer for the rear right weather strip, he ordered and I got it in a long cylindrical box.
The part no for the Rear Right Weather strip was 83831-65J00 WeatherStrip, RR Door Out RH
Cost was around 973 for 1 window strip.
Old 25th July 2017, 15:08   #994
BHPian

Guys ,

Does anyone has an idea about the OE woofer in the vitara , the woofer cone on mine is shot , and I ave tried getting it repaired without any luck .

The alternate is to order a new one (complete amp ) - which costs 6200 in the parts catalogue , the woofer itself is not listed as a child part.
Old 26th July 2017, 14:37   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Guys ,

Does anyone has an idea about the OE woofer in the vitara , the woofer cone on mine is shot , and I ave tried getting it repaired without any luck .

The alternate is to order a new one (complete amp ) - which costs 6200 in the parts catalogue , the woofer itself is not listed as a child part.
The speakers themselves are impregnated paper cone type and have "made in china" markings. If you have not been able to get the woofer repaired then it is best to order the complete unit. 6200 is extremly reasonable as all active subwoofers cost much more.
Old 4th August 2017, 15:08   #996
Senior - BHPian

Guys how much would, the 4 shockers and the coil cost for the GV, thanks.
Old 4th August 2017, 15:33   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Guys how much would, the 4 shockers and the coil cost for the GV, thanks.
Front is a version of the Mc pherson strut - Set will cost 18-22k

Rear shockers are 4k each (SGP ) cant say if its gone up in the past few month

Cheaper options are available online , i ordered a complete set , got it delivered to my hotel in europe and carried it back in luggage , landed cost india 12k for the complete set . You have to be lucky at customs for this !

Last edited by wbd8779 : 4th August 2017 at 15:41.
wbd8779 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 16:39   #998
Senior - BHPian

Am thinking of picking up a 2007 2.0 ltr version which has approximately run about 1.75K kms. the price would be around 2.75. Does it make sense? It wont be a daily driver but need something for that occasional Leh and Spiti trips.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 4th August 2017 at 16:41.
Old 4th August 2017, 17:50   #999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Am thinking of picking up a 2007 2.0 ltr version which has approximately run about 1.75K kms. the price would be around 2.75. Does it make sense? It wont be a daily driver but need something for that occasional Leh and Spiti trips.
Presuming you mean 1,75,000 kms, while 2.75L seems a tempting deal as its cheaper than even A segment hatchbacks, a 10 year old discontinued car with that significant amount of running somehow makes me imagine plenty maintenance charges...It will be a bit of a gamble I feel. While the money is not "that much" - if it is a lemon, the peace of mind that you lose will feel like a lot of cost...
Old 5th August 2017, 09:16   #1000
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are getting it at 2~2.25 its a deal. Despite ten years. Though odo is a tad on higher side. Do check service history.
Old 5th August 2017, 10:40   #1001
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
10 year old discontinued car with that significant amount of running somehow makes me imagine plenty maintenance charges...- if it is a lemon, the peace of mind that you lose will feel like a lot of cost...
The production stopped only 3 years ago, the parts will be available for another few years at least. A lemon would not have been driven until 175K kms I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
If you are getting it at 2~2.25 its a deal. Despite ten years. Though odo is a tad on higher side. Do check service history.
These days you can't get full service history unless the owner gets it for you. Unfortunately, Maruti will even turn back the odometer for you upon request. Such an owner will not part with the full service history.

Any buyer should demand full service history from the owner to ensure no odo reversal has been done.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 12:34   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
2.75 is definitely overpriced. Keep in mind if the seller approaches a dealer for this car he would get a quote downwards of 2. I think you have a leverage to bargain.
Old 7th August 2017, 12:46   #1003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The production stopped only 3 years ago, the parts will be available for another few years at least. A lemon would not have been driven until 175K kms I think.
I meant lemon "now"; should have been clearer sorry. After the 175k kms. Basically if the reason for selling is because the car is now proving to be a white elephant to maintain.

While the parts may still be available - its a Unicorn. Very very rare car. So the parts are bound to be at a premium with on-demand sourcing etc.
Old 7th August 2017, 14:13   #1004
BHPian

All depends on your Maruti service center. When I bought mine I was fortunate enough to have the option of looking at every single job card created for the vehicle in 9 years, including the amount the previous owner had spent each time. This was when I had taken the owner's permission to drive the vehicle to a MASS for a check up (his son accompanied me). If you take the vehicle with you, I'm sure MASS guys will be happy to show you the previous history.

I would like to add that 175k kms aren't that much for a well-maintained Vitara. If the timestamps and the odo readings of the services make sense to you, you can be reasonably sure that the servicing was done on time. Just make sure you know what expenses are coming up ahead. Some parts are reasonably priced, some parts not so much. I get everything at MGP and the prices are fixed.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 7th August 2017 at 14:22.
Tanmay K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 19:04   #1005
R_R
BHPian

The problem with the Grand Vitara is not so much the cost of spare parts, but that Maruti ASS do not stock many parts (understandably) though they are available on order. For example, I recently had a clutch problem on my 2008 GV, and two different Maruti workshops told me they have to order all components of the clutch, including the flywheel, beforehand, before opening the clutch up. I refused, since I was doubtful the flywheel was worn and just ordered the clutch disc and pressure plate and crossed my fingers. When we opened the clutch up, the flywheel was fine. But the problem was, if I had needed the flywheel, I would have been in trouble, obviously. (I'll post pictures soon).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks