Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2017, 09:34   #976
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Guys I have a good news for you. If your door stoppers are worn doors will just not stay open and close on their own . I ordered door stoppers at 953 each. When my denter was installing these he told me these are same as swift desire. I took one old one to the MGP store and matched these with the ones for swift desire and they are exactly same. The ones for swift desire cost Rs 100 each. I already spent 4K on these and you can get all 4 replaced for 400. And best of all the ones for Swift Desire are available off the shelf whereas I had to wait 15 days for the ones for Grand Vitara.

Great piece of hunting!!.
Could you post the part no of the Desire stopper?
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 09:36   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
Hi,

I have been having a bit of a problem with my GV (2008-MT, 82k kms, mostly city).
=======
My question is: Can anyone tell whether it is necessary to do that when the clutch plate and pressure plate is changed? Incidentally, labour charge they quoted is Rs. 6000. And bleeding was just Rs. 650. I had to pay an advance for them to order the parts, since no one seems to have it in stock. I also find it a bit odd that parts have to be ordered without knowing for sure what the problem is.
As pointed in my post above, my gv is also having some trouble with clutch. I have also faced problem similar to what you have described but the occurrences are very rare. However, when ever i encounter the issue i slot 3rd gear which never gives such problems and then immediately attempt for 1st gear then it goes smoothly. Though not denying what your MASS suggests. This makes me think that it could be the synchronizer which needs a look as well(just an guess).

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th October 2018 at 14:04. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
spgv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 10:43   #978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And best of all the ones for Swift Desire are available off the shelf whereas I had to wait 15 days for the ones for Grand Vitara.
I use similar trick for wipers. Local MASS said they don't have GV wipers on stock. I told them to use Swift passenger side wiper, and they were surprised to find it matched perfectly.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 16:13   #979
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgv View Post
As pointed in my post above, my gv is also having some trouble with clutch. I have also faced problem similar to what you have described but the occurrences are very rare. However, when ever i encounter the issue i slot 3rd gear which never gives such problems and then immediately attempt for 1st gear then it goes smoothly. Though not denying what your MASS suggests. This makes me think that it could be the synchronizer which needs a look as well(just an guess).
Well, can't really know what the problem is until they open it up I guess. Though, I suspect if its a synchromesh problem, it'll be a lot more expensive.
Old 28th May 2017, 07:59   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Great piece of hunting!!.
Could you post the part no of the Desire stopper?
I did not buy the Desire Stoppers as I had already got the Grand Vitara Stoppers installed, so I don't have the part numbers. But the Door Stoppers of the Swift Desire are readily available over the counter at all MGP Stores.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 12:33   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I have a good news for you. If your door stoppers are worn doors will just not stay open and close on their own . I ordered door stoppers at 953 each. When my denter was installing these he told me these are same as swift desire. I took one old one to the MGP store and matched these with the ones for swift desire and they are exactly same. The ones for swift desire cost Rs 100 each. I already spent 4K on these and you can get all 4 replaced for 400. And best of all the ones for Swift Desire are available off the shelf whereas I had to wait 15 days for the ones for Grand Vitara.

I tried fitting, at my MASS, the Desire stopper to my front doors. Bolt fitment dimension are the same but the overall length is shorter. So we decided not to fit it as the door opening would be lesser.

Now I have asked the SA to reorder the parts. Hopefully I will get delivery this time.
Old 5th June 2017, 18:38   #982
BHPian

Quote:
I tried fitting, at my MASS, the Desire stopper to my front doors. Bolt fitment dimension are the same but the overall length is shorter. So we decided not to fit it as the door opening would be lesser.

Now I have asked the SA to reorder the parts. Hopefully I will get delivery this time.
Hi Sridhar,

When I had pit the Grand Vitara, and the Desire Door Stoppers next to each other they looked exactly the same in dimensions. So would that mean that the door of the Desire also opens less with it's stopper ?

Styler
Old 6th June 2017, 09:50   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sridhar,

When I had pit the Grand Vitara, and the Desire Door Stoppers next to each other they looked exactly the same in dimensions. So would that mean that the door of the Desire also opens less with it's stopper ?

Styler
The Desire door opening angle would depend on its hinge geometry and door length. The GV's door is longer and heavier. So it would open far less if the Desire hinge was used. Also the hinge's ability to hold the door open during wind gusts or angled surfaces would be lesser.

So I have decided to wait out for the oe spec hinges.
Old 6th June 2017, 16:45   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to the club. Do share your initial experiences.

Will be doing it soon.
Bit too late for initial experiences, but still felt like sharing.

First thing i notice is that the car is very proportionate and doesnt looks big at once but once up close she is big.

The headlights and front fenders look beautiful well proportioned and muscular. Beefed up fenders are my fav. (The roundabout near my place has a showroom with big glasses, the first time i was taking a turn there i saw reflections of her in the huge glass in bright sunlight and was stuck at once when is saw the car taking a sharp turn, it was like they show the car in advertisements 90 degree turn headlight to back light and took me a split second to recon its my ride. ). The rear light assembly along with the quarter glass make a unique symmetrical shape with opposite angles http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...s-p1211414.jpg looks impressive.

235/70/16 tyres look great and meaty, but 17" wheels would look awesome.

Ride is firm way beyond any one expected, wifey was duly upset with the hard, firm ride but now after a year she's ok. Have driven it through bad roads and never worried. Driving in ghats was fun and body roll was way to less as compared to the scorpio which i drove in and around Amba ghats(kolhapur). Feels stable, planted and confident at highway speeds.

The engine is smooth and silent at idle. On ignition revs up to 2000 RPM settling down to 1000 immediately and 700 later. The ignition part with spike of 2000 RPM sounds very sporty and powerful.
Never attempted to rev past 4000 rpm however the engine revs smoothly to 4000 RPM in 2nd & 3rd gear. Speeds of 80-90 are not felt and Cruising at 110 in 5th gear is comfortable.
The 4L ratio: Only tried her once in a playground with rubble and some big mounds, crawls/climbs like a lizard with lot of sounds of stones grinding under the wheels. Servo motor kind of effect. Next target is to drive on beach sand, may be sometime this year.

The steering is bit heavy at parking speeds, except that feels great. The hydraulic steering of old palio felt better though.

The user manual says it has brake assist i.e. brakes continue to engage if the driver slams the brake and releases immediately as in his foot slipped over the pedal, never tested this may be some us can share there experiences.

Spotted a sunlight sensor don't know the purpose for that sensor. I don't see any equipment to be be linked to it.
Doors close with minimum effort and mostly without any push with a very muted thud which sounds very premium.
ICE is very average and the previous owner has extracted all it could offer. I will try to repair the woofer or may be bring in new. Colour of the LED on dash is amber which is very odd, saw same thing in 4m+ swift desire and wagon R. No usb Aux-in port.

Being 8 years old and having seen 100000+ Kms doesn't show on the car neither on her performance.Clutch job and tyre replacement is imminent. Also the weather strips on rear door may need change.

Recent mice attack has rendered the rear washer dry, spotted the pipe chewed near the battery along with damage to wires between the battery and left body panel. The damaged wires are terminated on a ECU like unit(beside the battery) which i could not identify. The mice found a comfy spot behind the battery. Showered the engine bay esp wires with khatnil and now i reverse park the the car to face away from the wall, and noticed that the mice no longer visits.

Here are some photographs.
Attached Thumbnails
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wp_20170604_17_57_57_pro.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wp_20160928_17_21_23_pro.jpg  

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-wp_20160618_08_10_19_pro.jpg  

spgv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 18:07   #985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The user manual says it has brake assist i.e. brakes continue to engage if the driver slams the brake and releases immediately as in his foot slipped over the pedal, never tested this may be some us can share there experiences...
No

The brake assist is servo brake booster

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th June 2017 at 18:12. Reason: Typo "breaker assist" > "brake assist" :)
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 15:06   #986
BHPian

Re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [100000 KMs & 8 Years]

Quote:
Did some tests on the Sub-woofer to see which would be the best way to upgrade the front speakers.

I will now hunt around for a suitable component speakers so that I get better sound stage.
Hello sridhar-v

I am planning for replacement of front and back speakers on my car (do not intend to upgrade the speakers to any higher rating though) as the stock ones are in bad shape, while the active subwoofer is ok. Can you please share details of the rear speaker in your post. Also the details of front speakers. What else to look for in the replacement, apart form size and power rating.
Old 19th June 2017, 18:16   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Colour of the LED on dash is amber which is very odd, saw same thing in 4m+ swift desire and wagon R. No usb Aux-in port. .
The illumination is red in the GV center console

Quote:
The mice found a comfy spot behind the battery. Showered the engine bay esp wires with khatnil and now i reverse park the the car to face away from the wall, and noticed that the mice no longer visits..
Tobacco works well for me. I change the batch every 45 days and after any drive >4hrs. Heat makes the tobacco dry up and lose effectiveness.

I have placed 2 bottles half filled with water in the gap near the battery so that mice can't come and rest there. However the favoured resting position of mice is on top of the engine cover.

Quote:
I am planning for replacement of front and back speakers on my car
If you aren't an audiophile, just go for basic 6" components from Pioneer - they cost approx 3.5k a pair and sound good (got these installed in a friend's Endeavour).
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 08:58   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Hello sridhar-v

I am planning for replacement of front and back speakers on my car (do not intend to upgrade the speakers to any higher rating though) as the stock ones are in bad shape, while the active subwoofer is ok. Can you please share details of the rear speaker in your post. Also the details of front speakers. What else to look for in the replacement, apart form size and power rating.
Actually the OE rear speakers are very good. They are paper type (low tech) but have good range and clarity. You can either replace them with OE or with any 6.5" speakers.

The original, with rain guard:
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-original-speakers-2.jpg

I fitted JBL co-axials.
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-rear-coaxs.jpg

They required a wooden adaptor ring. I also used connectors to wire up the speaker leads. Both items are available at all accessory chaps:
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-rear-installed.jpg

I have not yet upgraded my front speakers. The fronts have tweeters built in the door. However there is no crossover and as a result it is quite pathetic sounding.
If you are normally driving with only the front seats occupied it may make more sense to upgrade the front speakers with a new set of component speakers. The crossover is to be installed in the door pad region. JBL GTO series is an economical and good option. Focal is also highly recommended.

If you are using the vehicle on bad roads take particular care during installation. Loosely fitted speakers can drift down and short the speaker leads, leading to your output amp IC, in the head unit, blowing.
You need to ensure that the speaker is screwed down directly to the metal of the door. Use self tapping screws that will pass through the adaptor ring.
Use connectors as far as possible. Solder the wires to the speaker leads.

If you can spare the budget do damping of the doors. Will cost about Rs.2500 each.
Ideal combo, on a tight budget, is to install component speakers on the front doors with damping.

All the best.
sridhar-v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 13:43   #989
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Sridhar

PrateekSwarup another Vitara owner in Gurgaon installed the Swift Desire 2016 door stoppers on his rear doors. He tells me these fitted perfectly and he did not feel any difference in opening. He's happy having saved a lot of money.

Styler
Styler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 08:49   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sridhar

PrateekSwarup another Vitara owner in Gurgaon installed the Swift Desire 2016 door stoppers on his rear doors. He tells me these fitted perfectly and he did not feel any difference in opening. He's happy having saved a lot of money.

Styler
OK. Thanks for the info.

That makes sense as the rear door geometry, in terms of arc length of the door outermost point for given angle of movement, is different from the front.

So all Grand Vitara Owners can at least save money on the rear door stoppers.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks