Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2018, 14:07   #1126
BHPian

re: The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP [14 years & 150000kms]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi All,
I think I will stick to Motorcraft as the Dashboard has to be opened up to access the Cooling Coil for Service. Has anybody got this done? Are the workshops able to remove and put back the Dashboard properly? Is it a risky job, Are there any chances of Rattles etc ?
If the AC is working perfectly fine, then please don't mess with it. There is no guarantee that the dashboard refitting will be perfect. Always remember, factory fit is factory fit. You can't expect the same level of workmanship even at the showroom
QuickLink is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 11:41   #1127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The AC seems to be cooling perfectly but as a preventive maintenance thing I am planning to get the AC serviced before the summer.
Assuming a cabin air filter is now in place, and you find the AC effective, and throwing good flow, just let it be as is. The factory charge of refrigerant is better left undisturbed.

The cooling coil needs cleaning only if the air flow at maximum blower speed is unsatisfactory
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 20:44   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
A few Updates about my Grand Vitara 2.0 L
Last bit of work completed as follows :
1. The Lower arm bushes were worn out. Instead of replacing the Lower Arm (9.5K) I managed to get the Bush set for both sides for Rs 2800 and got them replaced by my local mechanics.

They did recommend to get the AC Serviced before the summer as the AC had run without a Cabin filter for sometime at the time I got the vehicle. I think I will stick to Motorcraft as the Dashboard has to be opened up to access the Cooling Coil for Service. Has anybody got this done? Are the workshops able to remove and put back the Dashboard properly? Is it a risky job, Are there any chances of Rattles etc ?
There are 3 bushings in the lower arm. I have marked them in the attached image. Did you replace all 3?
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-lower-arm.jpg

How easy was it to replace the bushings? And what did your mechanic charge for the same?

Last month i got the AC coil of my 2008 Santro cleaned at the Hyundai service station. They had to remove the dashboard for this. They have done a good job as there are no rattles or squeaks. So do get it done at the MASS only.
Old 5th February 2018, 08:11   #1129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragp2006 View Post
Planning to buy a 2008 Grand Vitara 2.0. Its 58000kms on oddo. Has complete service history with Maruti. Asking is around 5.5lacs non-nego. Deal looks good to me. just wanted to confirm Spares availability for this model. Can someone please shred some light? Additional pointers to check the vehicle would be welcomed addition.
2008 despite low mileage should not be more than 3.5~4 range. And as other have suggested do check service history through MASS system. I had two cars checked and in first service history gaps were inexplicable. In the other last service was at 180000+ kms in MASS system while owner was claiming ODO at 67000!!!

Quote:
They did recommend to get the AC Serviced before the summer as the AC had run without a Cabin filter for sometime at the time I got the vehicle. The AC seems to be cooling perfectly but as a preventive maintenance thing I am planning to get the AC serviced before the summer. I have options of a good After market AC Workshop or at Motorcraft. I think I will stick to Motorcraft as the Dashboard has to be opened up to access the Cooling Coil for Service. Has anybody got this done? Are the workshops able to remove and put back the Dashboard properly? Is it a risky job, Are there any chances of Rattles etc ?
Had got this done couple of times as my use had been through extremely dusty back of beyond Rann and Thar areas. No problems. Usually the filter itself needs replacement but if the coil is chocked then getting it cleaned will make whole lot of difference. Also the outside coil.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 11:38   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
There are 3 bushings in the lower arm. I have marked them in the attached image. Did you replace all 3?
Attachment 1724354

How easy was it to replace the bushings? And what did your mechanic charge for the same?

Last month i got the AC coil of my 2008 Santro cleaned at the Hyundai service station. They had to remove the dashboard for this. They have done a good job as there are no rattles or squeaks. So do get it done at the MASS only.
Actually there are 2 Rubber Bushes (1 & 3 in your diagram) which we replaced on each side. There is 1 Ball joint which is fixed (2 in your diagram) which cannot be removed and was fine. My mechanics removed the Lower arm in 5 mins, took it to the Machining Workshop (Kharad) and there they replaced the 2 rubber bushes on each side. It took another 5-10 mins to fix the lower arm back.
BTW the tak tak sound that I used to get is gone after replacing the Lower Arm bushes and Engine Mountings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

Had got this done couple of times as my use had been through extremely dusty back of beyond Rann and Thar areas. No problems. Usually the filter itself needs replacement but if the coil is chocked then getting it cleaned will make whole lot of difference. Also the outside coil.
Sudev Sir, I missed meeting you at the HVK Meet in Vasant Kunj. Later on I got to know you are part of the Linux Groups from Kishore who is a close friend.

My AC is cooling perfectly fine, and the air flow is also adequate right now. My Grand Vitara is 2007 so 10 years old and done 92000kms. When I bought it one year ago there was no Cabin filter but I installed it immediately. Due to this Praveen Tyagi of Motorcraft recommended the AC Service. Do you think it makes sense to get the Cooling Coil cleaned after removing the Dashboard as a preventive maintenance thing ?

Styler (Amit Kalra)

Last edited by Samurai : 5th February 2018 at 12:13. Reason: B2B posts
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 14:10   #1131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My AC is cooling perfectly fine, and the air flow is also adequate right now. My Grand Vitara is 2007 so 10 years old and done 92000kms. When I bought it one year ago there was no Cabin filter but I installed it immediately. Due to this Praveen Tyagi of Motorcraft recommended the AC Service. Do you think it makes sense to get the Cooling Coil cleaned after removing the Dashboard as a preventive maintenance thing ?

Styler (Amit Kalra)
There are many cars in the market which still doesn't come with a cabin filter and runs fine. If the ac is working fine, don't worry too much and you can continue using the ac without any issues.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 06:23   #1132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I managed to get the Bush set for both sides for Rs 2800 and got them replaced by my local mechanics.
3. Got the Main belt from MGP Store for Rs 1440 and replaced it myself.
Is the bush set an MGP/SGP, or was it an aftermarket product?

And how about the drive belt? Is that an MGP as well?Could you share the part number?
Old 7th February 2018, 09:11   #1133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I missed meeting you at the HVK Meet in Vasant Kunj. Later on I got to know you are part of the Linux Groups from Kishore who is a close friend.
Small world.

Quote:
My AC is cooling perfectly fine, and the air flow is also adequate right now. My Grand Vitara is 2007 so 10 years old and done 92000kms....Do you think it makes sense to get the Cooling Coil cleaned after removing the Dashboard as a preventive maintenance thing ?
If cooling is good then do not fix when its not needed. I needed it and had got it done. Tyagi ji has good knowledge but your call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
AFter market. But works good and saves lots of cost too!!
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 10:33   #1134
BHPian

Quote:

And how about the drive belt? Is that an MGP as well?Could you share the part number?
Belt is Original SGP bought from MGP Store. There were 2 part numbers for the same belt (5PK1650). This one was cheaper so we ordered this one. It is original SGP, made in Japan and fitted perfectly.
Belt :5PK1650
Part No: 95151-64J00 Rs 1438

Bush set is aftermarket bought from Palika Bhawan as Sudev sir has already mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Small world.

If cooling is good then do not fix when its not needed. I needed it and had got it done. Tyagi ji has good knowledge but your call.

AFter market. But works good and saves lots of cost too!!
I will desist from getting the dashboard opened. Thanks.

Last edited by Styler : 7th February 2018 at 10:35.
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:32   #1135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Replacing Left Side Brake Caliper rubber set Rs 500
Hi Styler, do you have part number or bill details for this part? Seems like one of the rear cylinders is slowly jamming up in my Tara. This is second time it is happening, so thinking will replace all four wheel side kits. Mine is all around disk brake 2010 model.

@all - Any help with part number to place the order would be helpful.
Old 23rd February 2018, 15:46   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hi Styler, do you have part number or bill details for this part? Seems like one of the rear cylinders is slowly jamming up in my Tara. This is second time it is happening, so thinking will replace all four wheel side kits. Mine is all around disk brake 2010 model.

@all - Any help with part number to place the order would be helpful.
Part No was 55830-50J00 (No 6 under parts in the attached Invoice). But mine is a 2007 2.0L . You'll have to check if it is the same for your 2.4 L Grand Vitara.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motrocraft-12Dec2017.pdf (597.4 KB, 566 views)

Last edited by Styler : 23rd February 2018 at 15:47.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 18:57   #1137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seems like one of the rear cylinders is slowly jamming up in my Tara
It is the piston that needs cleaning/replacement. Just replacing the rubber bellow won't do unless, of course, the bellow is torn and water is infiltrating the cylinder and corroding the piston.

One of the rear pistons is getting jammed. After a 5 km drive with braking , you can feel the front wheel hubs(as a pair) , and the rear(as a pair) , to know which piston is getting jammed.

Just have that piston removed , inspected for corrosion, cleaned with brake fluid and reinstalled. You'll be good for over a year/one monsoon.

I managed one of the front pistons this way for over 1.5 years and eventually replaced it with a FEBEST 0776-GVJBF-KIT Front Brake Cylinder Piston

The OE piston seal set for the front is 55840-65j00. Rear piston for 2009 and later GV - no idea.

MODS : Please merge this with the above post.

EDIT:

I found that the 2009 and later(rear disc set up) GVs have this part number for the rear piston seal set - Rear Caliper Repair Kit, Grand Vitara, 55890-77K00 or 55890-77K01. Image attached for reference.

The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-2524.400.jpg

The part number for the rubber bellow and o ring alone (the minor kit) is 55880-77K00
The First Grand Vitara on Team-BHP-images.jpeg

Please verify.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd February 2018 at 20:39. Reason: Aligning pic. Thanks
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:39   #1138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Part No was 55830-50J00 (No 6 under parts in the attached Invoice). But mine is a 2007 2.0L . You'll have to check if it is the same for your 2.4 L Grand Vitara.
Thanks reference was helpful.

Quote:
Just have that piston removed , inspected for corrosion, cleaned with brake fluid and reinstalled. You'll be good for over a year/one monsoon.
Rear left is the one with issue, had done a clean up and it was fine till now. Today I noticed again it has started symptom. Unfortunately the outer rubber had got cut so thought of replacing the whole kit in all 4 wheels. The vehicle has been exposed to coastal area and the pistons are definitely not in best of condition, another reason to change.

Quote:
I managed one of the front pistons this way for over 1.5 years and eventually replaced it with a FEBEST 0776-GVJBF-KIT Front Brake Cylinder Piston
Quote:
I found that the 2009 and later(rear disc set up) GVs have this part number for the rear piston seal set - Rear Caliper Repair Kit, Grand Vitara, 55890-77K00 or 55890-77K01. Image attached for reference.
Bingo! this is what I want the full kit. Thanks so much!

Styler & Vigsom you guys are awesome!
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:54   #1139
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ If the other pistons and minor kits(bellow and o-ring)are normal, I'd suggest you let them be.

The rubber used in GV parts is very superior and won't go kaput that easily, even in coastal areas.

By the way, was the rear piston(the one that is getting jammed) corroded?
Old 24th February 2018, 14:54   #1140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
By the way, was the rear piston(the one that is getting jammed) corroded?
Yes the exposed part was pitted badly and the piston itself had lot of tough grime on it. Which I assumed would be fine with the clean up. Guess not. Another reason why I am prompted for full replacement is non usage. I also use the GV once or twice a week at best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks